PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do With My Cat?

Luvskats00
December 30th 03, 04:59 AM
My 4 year old (neutered) male dsh baby has been with me since he was 2 months
old. He had a companion - until August...my other cat (18 year old spayed dsh
female) passed away. I adopted a 5 year old (spayed) dsh female 6-7 weeks ago.
Resident cat has never allowed new cat to remain in one place..he chases her.
So, I kept new cat in bedroom and resident cat in the rest of the house. I
allowed them to mingle - supervised - for small periods of time throughout the
day/night. When resident cat became too much of a bully, new cat hid behind the
bookcase.

A pipe broke in my kitchen, forcing removal of parts of the wall, kitchen
cabinets,etc. Now that everything has been removed from the kitchen and
plaster is to dry (and eventually wall is to be painted, etc.) my resident cat
is not able to have access to the remaineder of apartment. Both cats need to be
in the bedroom.

There's the problem. Even if I cage new cat, resident cat goes around the cage
for hours bothering new cat. I put a sheet over the cage, but it's not serving
as protection.

I exhausted all options for foster situations and was looking to board new
cat....I hate to do it. There's one cat facility where they board cats in
"mini-rooms", not cages and let cats out to play.

Any other ideas will be welcome. I was looking to rent a second apartment (in
my building) for a month - if possible - and let new kitty stay there. No luck
so far. I'm in Queens, NY.

Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks.

Bob Brenchley.
December 30th 03, 11:41 AM
On 30 Dec 2003 04:59:13 GMT, (Luvskats00) wrote:

>My 4 year old (neutered) male dsh baby has been with me since he was 2 months
>old. He had a companion - until August...my other cat (18 year old spayed dsh
>female) passed away. I adopted a 5 year old (spayed) dsh female 6-7 weeks ago.
>Resident cat has never allowed new cat to remain in one place..he chases her.
>So, I kept new cat in bedroom and resident cat in the rest of the house. I
>allowed them to mingle - supervised - for small periods of time throughout the
>day/night. When resident cat became too much of a bully, new cat hid behind the
>bookcase.
>
>A pipe broke in my kitchen, forcing removal of parts of the wall, kitchen
>cabinets,etc. Now that everything has been removed from the kitchen and
>plaster is to dry (and eventually wall is to be painted, etc.) my resident cat
>is not able to have access to the remaineder of apartment. Both cats need to be
>in the bedroom.
>
>There's the problem. Even if I cage new cat, resident cat goes around the cage
>for hours bothering new cat. I put a sheet over the cage, but it's not serving
>as protection.
>
>I exhausted all options for foster situations and was looking to board new
>cat....I hate to do it. There's one cat facility where they board cats in
>"mini-rooms", not cages and let cats out to play.
>
>Any other ideas will be welcome. I was looking to rent a second apartment (in
>my building) for a month - if possible - and let new kitty stay there. No luck
>so far. I'm in Queens, NY.
>
>Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks.

Have you tried putting your older cat in the cage for some of the
time? Have you tried sitting down with both cats beside you so they
can get used to the idea of being close?

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.

Bob Brenchley.
December 30th 03, 11:41 AM
On 30 Dec 2003 04:59:13 GMT, (Luvskats00) wrote:

>My 4 year old (neutered) male dsh baby has been with me since he was 2 months
>old. He had a companion - until August...my other cat (18 year old spayed dsh
>female) passed away. I adopted a 5 year old (spayed) dsh female 6-7 weeks ago.
>Resident cat has never allowed new cat to remain in one place..he chases her.
>So, I kept new cat in bedroom and resident cat in the rest of the house. I
>allowed them to mingle - supervised - for small periods of time throughout the
>day/night. When resident cat became too much of a bully, new cat hid behind the
>bookcase.
>
>A pipe broke in my kitchen, forcing removal of parts of the wall, kitchen
>cabinets,etc. Now that everything has been removed from the kitchen and
>plaster is to dry (and eventually wall is to be painted, etc.) my resident cat
>is not able to have access to the remaineder of apartment. Both cats need to be
>in the bedroom.
>
>There's the problem. Even if I cage new cat, resident cat goes around the cage
>for hours bothering new cat. I put a sheet over the cage, but it's not serving
>as protection.
>
>I exhausted all options for foster situations and was looking to board new
>cat....I hate to do it. There's one cat facility where they board cats in
>"mini-rooms", not cages and let cats out to play.
>
>Any other ideas will be welcome. I was looking to rent a second apartment (in
>my building) for a month - if possible - and let new kitty stay there. No luck
>so far. I'm in Queens, NY.
>
>Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks.

Have you tried putting your older cat in the cage for some of the
time? Have you tried sitting down with both cats beside you so they
can get used to the idea of being close?

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.

GovtLawyer
December 30th 03, 05:17 PM
I am by no means an expert in this, but it would appear to me that your older
cat will just not tolerate the new one. In my opinion, it is the older cats's
home, and the new one is an intruder. So, I would get rid of the new one.
There are some rescue organizations that will take it and find a good home for
it. I would then get a younger cat, perhaps a kitten. The older cat would
probably tolerate the kitten better, and in fact, it may be the kitten who is
chasing the older one. Just my opinion. I feel for you and know you are
trying to do what is right. Just remember, that the older cat has his
territory, and respect that he may be rightfully miffed that it has been
invaded.

GovtLawyer
December 30th 03, 05:17 PM
I am by no means an expert in this, but it would appear to me that your older
cat will just not tolerate the new one. In my opinion, it is the older cats's
home, and the new one is an intruder. So, I would get rid of the new one.
There are some rescue organizations that will take it and find a good home for
it. I would then get a younger cat, perhaps a kitten. The older cat would
probably tolerate the kitten better, and in fact, it may be the kitten who is
chasing the older one. Just my opinion. I feel for you and know you are
trying to do what is right. Just remember, that the older cat has his
territory, and respect that he may be rightfully miffed that it has been
invaded.

Luvskats00
December 30th 03, 07:28 PM
>Have you tried putting your older >cat in the cage for some of the
>time? Have you tried sitting down >with both cats beside you so they
>can get used to the idea of being >close?

My 4 y.o. resident cat has never been caged (except when neutered years ago).
New(er) cat had been caged for 6 weeks before she came to me. She's also not
very active. Resident cat is very active (and twice the size of new(er) cat).

I spent 5 hours cleaning today and taped large hefty bags so that resident cat
can't get to the new plaster. I scurbbed the floor, window sill, and counters
with antibacterial cleaner so cat could perch. I wrapped up all appliances (can
opener, etc).

Luvskats00
December 30th 03, 07:28 PM
>Have you tried putting your older >cat in the cage for some of the
>time? Have you tried sitting down >with both cats beside you so they
>can get used to the idea of being >close?

My 4 y.o. resident cat has never been caged (except when neutered years ago).
New(er) cat had been caged for 6 weeks before she came to me. She's also not
very active. Resident cat is very active (and twice the size of new(er) cat).

I spent 5 hours cleaning today and taped large hefty bags so that resident cat
can't get to the new plaster. I scurbbed the floor, window sill, and counters
with antibacterial cleaner so cat could perch. I wrapped up all appliances (can
opener, etc).

Luvskats00
December 30th 03, 08:05 PM

>....your older
>cat will just not tolerate the new one...it is the older cats's
>home, and the new one is an intruder. .
>There are some rescue organizations that will take it and find a good home
>I would then get a younger cat, perhaps a kitten.

I actually adopted this cat from a rescue group..Original owner threatened to
throw the (declawed) cat into the street if rescue group didn't drive 40 miles
to pick her up that week. Although I offered to adopt the cat when I returned
home from visiting my elderly mother (and pay for foster)..they wanted the cat
out asap. Poor baby was taken and put in a cage in an airport hanger (shelter)
where she stayed for 5-6 weeks until I brought her home. Rescue group should
have stated cat should be an only cat, but they didn't. And since my resident
cat did co-exist w/a cat for 4 years, and cried every day since she died...I
thought I was doing a good thing.
He went around looking for her for hours...day and night...and appeared to be
mourning. Finally, I looked at petfinders.com and fell in love w/one
cat....and here we are. New(er) cat is not terrified - despite what people have
posted. She chirps..rolls on her back..and has a fine time.

Luvskats00
December 30th 03, 08:05 PM