PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe.......2 questions


Christine
January 26th 04, 07:36 PM
to have your cat Spayed AND declawed at the same time?

She is 5.....she doesnt go out side But the poor thing goes into heat a
lot. and I have a small step daughter and a baby on the way and a
golden retriever who likes to chase her,,,,lol....and she has sharp
claws....I keep them cut back but it seems like they grow so fast....

also.......I just got married in Oct, and the cat was with my mom before
that... and she has 2 in-door out-door cats ( because they WERE wild )
but I tamed them...but they have to go out for a few hours in the
day....lol....must be the wild side,,,,,
but MY kitty has never been out...anyhow my mom had a problem with her
going pee in the strangest places, other than her litter box...I was
very concerned when i brought her here because this is a brand new house
and i was so scared she would pee everywhere.......but i have had her
here now for a few weeks and NO pee, just in her litter box.....

could stress cause this?
because between the other kittys and my moms Boston
terrier....LOL...there was tons of stress for her...she loves it here
even though there is a dog here she has the whole upstairs and is under
very little stress!!!!...and has not peed....
( knock on wood )

Also could NOT being spayed cause that....and or help it? ( the pee
thing )

TIA.....Christine

kaeli
January 26th 04, 09:50 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> to have your cat Spayed AND declawed at the same time?
>

Why would you want to amputate your cat's toes?

You should certainly spay her, but there is no reason at all to cut off
the last joint of her toes. It's cruel. Especially at her age (you say
5, I assume you mean 5 years old). It's even illegal in the UK.
Cats walk on their toes. Removing the last joint can be more than just
painful - it is disfiguring and can cause behavior problems.

> She is 5.....she doesnt go out side But the poor thing goes into heat a
> lot.

They do that.
Cats will go into heat continuously sometimes.
She should have been spayed much sooner to avoid mammary gland tumors /
cancer risks.

> and I have a small step daughter and a baby on the way and a
> golden retriever who likes to chase her,,,,lol....and she has sharp
> claws....I keep them cut back but it seems like they grow so fast....
>

I clip my cats' claws twice a week.
It's part of having a cat.
You take care of your childrens' needs - take care of your cat's needs,
too.

>
> could stress cause this?

Innappropriate peeing? Sure.

>
> Also could NOT being spayed cause that....and or help it? ( the pee
> thing )

Only if the cause was marking behavior / spraying. That's different than
just peeing outside the box.

Please don't chop off your kitty's toes.

--
--
~kaeli~
Dijon vu - the same mustard as before.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
January 26th 04, 09:50 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> to have your cat Spayed AND declawed at the same time?
>

Why would you want to amputate your cat's toes?

You should certainly spay her, but there is no reason at all to cut off
the last joint of her toes. It's cruel. Especially at her age (you say
5, I assume you mean 5 years old). It's even illegal in the UK.
Cats walk on their toes. Removing the last joint can be more than just
painful - it is disfiguring and can cause behavior problems.

> She is 5.....she doesnt go out side But the poor thing goes into heat a
> lot.

They do that.
Cats will go into heat continuously sometimes.
She should have been spayed much sooner to avoid mammary gland tumors /
cancer risks.

> and I have a small step daughter and a baby on the way and a
> golden retriever who likes to chase her,,,,lol....and she has sharp
> claws....I keep them cut back but it seems like they grow so fast....
>

I clip my cats' claws twice a week.
It's part of having a cat.
You take care of your childrens' needs - take care of your cat's needs,
too.

>
> could stress cause this?

Innappropriate peeing? Sure.

>
> Also could NOT being spayed cause that....and or help it? ( the pee
> thing )

Only if the cause was marking behavior / spraying. That's different than
just peeing outside the box.

Please don't chop off your kitty's toes.

--
--
~kaeli~
Dijon vu - the same mustard as before.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Alan Sandoval
January 27th 04, 06:55 AM
>
> Please don't chop off your kitty's toes.
>

I second that.




----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Alan Sandoval
January 27th 04, 06:55 AM
>
> Please don't chop off your kitty's toes.
>

I second that.




----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Bob Brenchley.
January 27th 04, 02:54 PM
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:36:52 -0500 (EST),
(Christine) wrote:

>to have your cat Spayed AND declawed at the same time?

No. No cat should ever be declawed without a genuine medical reason.
>
>She is 5.....she doesnt go out side But the poor thing goes into heat a
>lot. and I have a small step daughter and a baby on the way and a
>golden retriever who likes to chase her,,,,lol....and she has sharp
>claws....I keep them cut back but it seems like they grow so fast....

Cats have a basic need to spend time outside. The also have a basic
need for their claws - if the didn't them millions of years of
evolution would not have provided the cat with such superb tools.
>
>also.......I just got married in Oct, and the cat was with my mom before
>that... and she has 2 in-door out-door cats ( because they WERE wild )
>but I tamed them...but they have to go out for a few hours in the
>day....lol....must be the wild side,,,,,

No - just normal everyday cats.

>but MY kitty has never been out...

Why do yo have a cat if you are not prepared to allow it to be a cat?


>anyhow my mom had a problem with her
>going pee in the strangest places, other than her litter box...

This is a common sign of stress.

>I was
>very concerned when i brought her here because this is a brand new house
>and i was so scared she would pee everywhere.......but i have had her
>here now for a few weeks and NO pee, just in her litter box.....
>
>could stress cause this?

Yes - and an indoor only cat is a stressed cat.

>because between the other kittys and my moms Boston
>terrier....LOL...there was tons of stress for her...she loves it here
>even though there is a dog here she has the whole upstairs and is under
>very little stress!!!!...and has not peed....
>( knock on wood )
>
>Also could NOT being spayed cause that....and or help it? ( the pee
>thing )

If you did not intend to use her for breeding then she should have
been neutered at about 6 months.
>
>TIA.....Christine

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.

Bob Brenchley.
January 27th 04, 02:54 PM
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:36:52 -0500 (EST),
(Christine) wrote:

>to have your cat Spayed AND declawed at the same time?

No. No cat should ever be declawed without a genuine medical reason.
>
>She is 5.....she doesnt go out side But the poor thing goes into heat a
>lot. and I have a small step daughter and a baby on the way and a
>golden retriever who likes to chase her,,,,lol....and she has sharp
>claws....I keep them cut back but it seems like they grow so fast....

Cats have a basic need to spend time outside. The also have a basic
need for their claws - if the didn't them millions of years of
evolution would not have provided the cat with such superb tools.
>
>also.......I just got married in Oct, and the cat was with my mom before
>that... and she has 2 in-door out-door cats ( because they WERE wild )
>but I tamed them...but they have to go out for a few hours in the
>day....lol....must be the wild side,,,,,

No - just normal everyday cats.

>but MY kitty has never been out...

Why do yo have a cat if you are not prepared to allow it to be a cat?


>anyhow my mom had a problem with her
>going pee in the strangest places, other than her litter box...

This is a common sign of stress.

>I was
>very concerned when i brought her here because this is a brand new house
>and i was so scared she would pee everywhere.......but i have had her
>here now for a few weeks and NO pee, just in her litter box.....
>
>could stress cause this?

Yes - and an indoor only cat is a stressed cat.

>because between the other kittys and my moms Boston
>terrier....LOL...there was tons of stress for her...she loves it here
>even though there is a dog here she has the whole upstairs and is under
>very little stress!!!!...and has not peed....
>( knock on wood )
>
>Also could NOT being spayed cause that....and or help it? ( the pee
>thing )

If you did not intend to use her for breeding then she should have
been neutered at about 6 months.
>
>TIA.....Christine

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.