PDA

View Full Version : Cat predation studies

Alison
January 28th 04, 09:49 PM
Hi ,
Does any one have or know where I can find or read copies of
Professor Robert May's cat predation study in the English village of
Felmersham , Bedford and the Churcher and Lawton study.
There are lots of references on Google to the C&L study but not the
real thing.
BTW , I'm not trolling, I have to write an essay about cat predation
for a UK
cat behaviour course-:)
Alison

Bob Brenchley.
January 28th 04, 10:25 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:49:11 -0000, "Alison"
> wrote:

>Hi ,
>Does any one have or know where I can find or read copies of
>Professor Robert May's cat predation study in the English village of
>Felmersham , Bedford and the Churcher and Lawton study.
> There are lots of references on Google to the C&L study but not the
>real thing.
>BTW , I'm not trolling, I have to write an essay about cat predation
>for a UK
>cat behaviour course-:)
> Alison

Well, of course the study is far from scientific and now largely
discredited, but I would have thought it was about somewhere. Due to a
fault at my ISP search engines are not working properly this evening
so I can't look for you.

A newer study, still not very scientific but at least a bit better,
appeared in 2001. The results of that I posted in the usenet article
at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=lv1m8toplerj8s5hhca1bl425h8l53j7fn%404 ax.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

What none of the studies do is to look at the effects on wildlife
populations. The only ones that have done that so far have been run by
the RSPB and the cat doesn't even come in the top five of the reasons
for some bird populations declining.

Hope this helps.

--
Bob.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

Bob Brenchley.
January 28th 04, 10:25 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:49:11 -0000, "Alison"
> wrote:

>Hi ,
>Does any one have or know where I can find or read copies of
>Professor Robert May's cat predation study in the English village of
>Felmersham , Bedford and the Churcher and Lawton study.
> There are lots of references on Google to the C&L study but not the
>real thing.
>BTW , I'm not trolling, I have to write an essay about cat predation
>for a UK
>cat behaviour course-:)
> Alison

Well, of course the study is far from scientific and now largely
discredited, but I would have thought it was about somewhere. Due to a
fault at my ISP search engines are not working properly this evening
so I can't look for you.

A newer study, still not very scientific but at least a bit better,
appeared in 2001. The results of that I posted in the usenet article
at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=lv1m8toplerj8s5hhca1bl425h8l53j7fn%404 ax.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

What none of the studies do is to look at the effects on wildlife
populations. The only ones that have done that so far have been run by
the RSPB and the cat doesn't even come in the top five of the reasons
for some bird populations declining.

Hope this helps.

--
Bob.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

Alison
January 28th 04, 11:52 PM
"Bob Brenchley." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:49:11 -0000, "Alison"
> > wrote:
>
>> Well, of course the study is far from scientific and now largely
> discredited, but I would have thought it was about somewhere. Due to
> fault at my ISP search engines are not working properly this evening
> so I can't look for you.

Hi Bob ,
Thanks , I actually have to discuss and review the data, so it doesn't
matter whether it is accurate or not . Thats for me to find out!
Alison