PDA

View Full Version : Litter Box Issues

Peanut
February 2nd 04, 04:11 PM
My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box where the top and bottom meet.

Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

BarB
February 2nd 04, 04:24 PM
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:11:54 -0600, "Peanut" > wrote:

>My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box where the top and bottom meet.
>
>Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

I have eight litter boxes plus a couple of spares. I have diggers and
throwers and some that stand to pee. I've switched almost completely to
plastic storage boxes about a foot deep. I've picked them up on sale at
Walmart and other stores for less than $5.

BarB

BarB
February 2nd 04, 04:24 PM
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:11:54 -0600, "Peanut" > wrote:

>My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box where the top and bottom meet.
>
>Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

I have eight litter boxes plus a couple of spares. I have diggers and
throwers and some that stand to pee. I've switched almost completely to
plastic storage boxes about a foot deep. I've picked them up on sale at
Walmart and other stores for less than $5.

BarB

kaeli
February 2nd 04, 05:11 PM
In article
utpets.com>,
enlightened us with...
> My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box where the top and bottom meet.
>
> Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

My male does this sometimes.
I just put plastic on the floor underneath the box.

~kaeli~
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
February 2nd 04, 05:11 PM
In article
utpets.com>,
enlightened us with...
> My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box where the top and bottom meet.
>
> Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

My male does this sometimes.
I just put plastic on the floor underneath the box.

~kaeli~
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Mat Overton
February 3rd 04, 09:57 AM
> > My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't
squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the
litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box
where the top and bottom meet.

> > Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

> My male does this sometimes.
> I just put plastic on the floor underneath the box.

If it is easy enough to clean out the litter without taking the top off use
bathroom silicone around the seal as you would on a leaky shower!

;)

Mat Overton
February 3rd 04, 09:57 AM
> > My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't
squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the
litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box
where the top and bottom meet.

> > Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

> My male does this sometimes.
> I just put plastic on the floor underneath the box.

If it is easy enough to clean out the litter without taking the top off use
bathroom silicone around the seal as you would on a leaky shower!

;)

MaryL
February 3rd 04, 11:50 AM
"Peanut" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't
squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the
litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box
where the top and bottom meet.

> Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

Take a look at the *large* size hooded boxes. They are deeper than the
"large" size traditional litter boxes. That is what I use. I throw away
the hood and use only the base.

MaryL

MaryL
February 3rd 04, 11:50 AM
"Peanut" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't
squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the
litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box
where the top and bottom meet.

> Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

Take a look at the *large* size hooded boxes. They are deeper than the
"large" size traditional litter boxes. That is what I use. I throw away
the hood and use only the base.

MaryL

Peanut
February 3rd 04, 04:05 PM
Thanks Mary. I did try that but he "overshot" the box and the pee went outside the box. Need a higher sided box. Even put just a little litter in it. I probably have the only cat that does this, but is frustrating. Thanks anyways.

Peanut
February 3rd 04, 04:05 PM
Thanks Mary. I did try that but he "overshot" the box and the pee went outside the box. Need a higher sided box. Even put just a little litter in it. I probably have the only cat that does this, but is frustrating. Thanks anyways.

MaryL
February 3rd 04, 04:15 PM
"Peanut" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> Thanks Mary. I did try that but he "overshot" the box and the pee went
outside the box. Need a higher sided box. Even put just a little litter in
it. I probably have the only cat that does this, but is frustrating. Thanks
anyways.

In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
Watch for some with handle grips.

MaryL

MaryL
February 3rd 04, 04:15 PM
"Peanut" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> Thanks Mary. I did try that but he "overshot" the box and the pee went
outside the box. Need a higher sided box. Even put just a little litter in
it. I probably have the only cat that does this, but is frustrating. Thanks
anyways.

In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
Watch for some with handle grips.

MaryL

Dan Tseng
February 17th 04, 05:41 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...

> In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
> are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
> some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
> completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
> Watch for some with handle grips.
>
> MaryL

My cats' large plastic litter box is inside an even larger, tall
carboard box. Three sides of the cardboard box are about 18 inches
tall, and I cut the fourth side down so it's not quite as high as the
litter box; that's the front, where the cats enter. Newspaper on top
of a plastic trash can liner is on the bottom of the cardboard box and
a cat mat on top of newspaper is outside the boxes, in front of all of
this. Litter regularly gets tossed overboard into the cardboard box,
and sometimes onto the mat/newspaper, but they're contained and very
easy to clean up or toss out.

On rare occasions, one of the cats manages to overshoot the litter
box, but the interior newspaper absorbs it and the newspaper is easy
to replace. The big cardboard box has lasted six years so far...
longer than some of my upholstered furniture.

Dan Tseng
February 17th 04, 05:41 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...

> In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
> are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
> some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
> completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
> Watch for some with handle grips.
>
> MaryL

My cats' large plastic litter box is inside an even larger, tall
carboard box. Three sides of the cardboard box are about 18 inches
tall, and I cut the fourth side down so it's not quite as high as the
litter box; that's the front, where the cats enter. Newspaper on top
of a plastic trash can liner is on the bottom of the cardboard box and
a cat mat on top of newspaper is outside the boxes, in front of all of
this. Litter regularly gets tossed overboard into the cardboard box,
and sometimes onto the mat/newspaper, but they're contained and very
easy to clean up or toss out.

On rare occasions, one of the cats manages to overshoot the litter
box, but the interior newspaper absorbs it and the newspaper is easy
to replace. The big cardboard box has lasted six years so far...
longer than some of my upholstered furniture.

LeeAnne
February 18th 04, 08:50 PM
I have seen cat boxes that look kind of like one of those Rubbermaid storage
bins ... the hole is in the top of the box, the cat hops up onto the top of
the box and then down thru the hole into the box - the lid is the box top.
It supposed to be more private and allow for more litter in the box - and it
also prevents puss from throwing the litter out the front door of a regular
litter box.

Maybe try one of those? Or make your own w/a small Rubbermaid container -
cut a hole in the top and voila. :-)

"Peanut" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't
squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the
litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box
where the top and bottom meet.

> Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

LeeAnne
February 18th 04, 08:50 PM
I have seen cat boxes that look kind of like one of those Rubbermaid storage
bins ... the hole is in the top of the box, the cat hops up onto the top of
the box and then down thru the hole into the box - the lid is the box top.
It supposed to be more private and allow for more litter in the box - and it
also prevents puss from throwing the litter out the front door of a regular
litter box.

Maybe try one of those? Or make your own w/a small Rubbermaid container -
cut a hole in the top and voila. :-)

"Peanut" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> My neutered male 14 year old cat urinates in the litter box, but doesn't
squat like most cats. Instead he stands and pees up against the wall of the
litter box, which is frustrating because it leaks out the seam of the box
where the top and bottom meet.

> Any ideas? Can't seem to find a litter box that is taller with no seam.

Lisa Horton
April 1st 04, 07:15 PM

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...
>
> > In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
> > are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
> > some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
> > completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
> > Watch for some with handle grips.
> >
> > MaryL

A while back I had a similar problem, and someone here suggested the big
storage box/tub idea. I found a large one, about 2 feet by 3 feet, and
cut a door in one of the long sides. It's worked out VERY well. The
cat likes it, I like less urine on the floor. The cat is almost 22, and
I don't think she CAN squat :)

Lisa

Lisa Horton
April 1st 04, 07:15 PM

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...
>
> > In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
> > are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
> > some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
> > completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
> > Watch for some with handle grips.
> >
> > MaryL

A while back I had a similar problem, and someone here suggested the big
storage box/tub idea. I found a large one, about 2 feet by 3 feet, and
cut a door in one of the long sides. It's worked out VERY well. The
cat likes it, I like less urine on the floor. The cat is almost 22, and
I don't think she CAN squat :)

Lisa

m. L. Briggs
April 1st 04, 11:09 PM
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:15:56 -0800, Lisa Horton
> wrote:

>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...
>>
>> > In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
>> > are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
>> > some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
>> > completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
>> > Watch for some with handle grips.
>> >
>> > MaryL
>>

>A while back I had a similar problem, and someone here suggested the big
>storage box/tub idea. I found a large one, about 2 feet by 3 feet, and
>cut a door in one of the long sides. It's worked out VERY well. The
>cat likes it, I like less urine on the floor. The cat is almost 22, and
>I don't think she CAN squat :)
>
>Lisa

Bless her heart!

m. L. Briggs
April 1st 04, 11:09 PM
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:15:56 -0800, Lisa Horton
> wrote:

>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...
>>
>> > In that case, I suggest you look at some of the plastic storage boxes that
>> > are carried in places like WalMart and Target. There is a wide variety,
>> > some with high sides. They won't be quite as easy to empty when you want to
>> > completely change the litter, but some should be high enough for any cat.
>> > Watch for some with handle grips.
>> >
>> > MaryL
>>

>A while back I had a similar problem, and someone here suggested the big
>storage box/tub idea. I found a large one, about 2 feet by 3 feet, and
>cut a door in one of the long sides. It's worked out VERY well. The
>cat likes it, I like less urine on the floor. The cat is almost 22, and
>I don't think she CAN squat :)
>
>Lisa

Bless her heart!