PDA

View Full Version : Walmart has $30 cat tree

Ablang
March 6th 04, 02:22 AM
It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made of
real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).

I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
this seemed like a good deal?

--
Hilary Duff for President! We love you!

"Temperament is tempber that is too old to spank." -- Actress Charlotte
Greenwood

~*Connie*~
March 6th 04, 12:04 PM
> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made
of
> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>
> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
> this seemed like a good deal?

If you don't have a large cat, then they work ok.. I personally bought a
tree from Wal-Mart that is about three maybe four feet tall, that has a
house at the top of it, and my cats love it. I also bought a five foot tree
on ebay that they absolutely love..

~*Connie*~
March 6th 04, 12:04 PM
> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made
of
> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>
> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
> this seemed like a good deal?

If you don't have a large cat, then they work ok.. I personally bought a
tree from Wal-Mart that is about three maybe four feet tall, that has a
house at the top of it, and my cats love it. I also bought a five foot tree
on ebay that they absolutely love..

Jon C
March 6th 04, 04:32 PM
I've got one and both of my cats love it. Best thing I ever bought them.

It's quite sturdy. It attaches to the ceiling through a spring-loaded metal
pipe... and if someone jumps on it very hard, it can move a couple of inches
on the ceiling. Just need to shove it back over every now and then. Hasn't
shown any indication of falling apart yet, and I've had it about 6 months.

Great deal, IMO

"Ablang" > wrote in message
> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made
of
> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>
> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
> this seemed like a good deal?
>
> --
> Hilary Duff for President! We love you!
>
> "Temperament is tempber that is too old to spank." -- Actress Charlotte
> Greenwood

Heather Konieczny
March 10th 04, 07:55 AM
I had one of these. When I got my new kitty, in addition to my 8 month old,
the two would play so rough and race around the house and up the cat tree.
Soon, the tree broke and knocked my baby kitty out cold. He didn't move for
45 seconds! I wouldn't jeopardize my kitties life again by buying something
so cheap! Spend the extra money to get something solid. Unless of course,
your cat is not very playful and wouldn't rush up the thing.

"~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
> > It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
> > and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made
> of
> > real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
> > this seemed like a good deal?
> >

> If you don't have a large cat, then they work ok.. I personally bought a
> tree from Wal-Mart that is about three maybe four feet tall, that has a
> house at the top of it, and my cats love it. I also bought a five foot
tree
> on ebay that they absolutely love..

Mel
March 10th 04, 05:04 PM
Ablang > wrote in message >...
> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made of
> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>
> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
> this seemed like a good deal?

We bought one and found it was very flimsy and the shelves were too
small for any of my cats. Would only be suitable for tiny kittens.
I just didn't trust it to safely support my cats so we laid it on the floor
for them to use as a scratcher.

Save your money and buy something decent at createacatcondo.com
now those are sturdy safe trees. You can see the pictures and review
I wrote for the ones I bought here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~merrybreezesfarm/condoreview.html

Mel

Mel
March 10th 04, 05:04 PM

Save your money and buy something decent at createacatcondo.com
now those are sturdy safe trees. You can see the pictures and review
I wrote for the ones I bought here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~merrybreezesfarm/condoreview.html

Mel

whayface
March 28th 04, 02:15 PM
>> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
>> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made of
>> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
>> this seemed like a good deal?
>

>We bought one and found it was very flimsy and the shelves were too
>small for any of my cats. Would only be suitable for tiny kittens.
>I just didn't trust it to safely support my cats so we laid it on the floor
>for them to use as a scratcher.
>
>Save your money and buy something decent at createacatcondo.com
>now those are sturdy safe trees. You can see the pictures and review
>I wrote for the ones I bought here:
>http://home.earthlink.net/~merrybreezesfarm/condoreview.html
>
>Mel

I checked it out and it is not bad UNLESS you have a large cat like I do. The shelves are
like 11 / 12 inches then you have a 3 / 4 inch hole in it for the pole which does not
leave much room for them to lay if they want. If they just like to climb it to get some
place else it might be fine but mind like to lay high on thing and they would end up
falling off the first time they rolled.

Look around and get something bigger even if you have to pay more!!

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

whayface
March 28th 04, 02:15 PM
>> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
>> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made of
>> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
>> this seemed like a good deal?
>

>We bought one and found it was very flimsy and the shelves were too
>small for any of my cats. Would only be suitable for tiny kittens.
>I just didn't trust it to safely support my cats so we laid it on the floor
>for them to use as a scratcher.
>
>Save your money and buy something decent at createacatcondo.com
>now those are sturdy safe trees. You can see the pictures and review
>I wrote for the ones I bought here:
>http://home.earthlink.net/~merrybreezesfarm/condoreview.html
>
>Mel

I checked it out and it is not bad UNLESS you have a large cat like I do. The shelves are
like 11 / 12 inches then you have a 3 / 4 inch hole in it for the pole which does not
leave much room for them to lay if they want. If they just like to climb it to get some
place else it might be fine but mind like to lay high on thing and they would end up
falling off the first time they rolled.

Look around and get something bigger even if you have to pay more!!

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

John Doe
March 28th 04, 02:57 PM
"Heather Konieczny" > wrote

> I had one of these. When I got my new kitty, in addition to my 8
> month old, the two would play so rough and race around the house and
> up the cat tree. Soon, the tree broke and knocked my baby kitty out
> cold. He didn't move for 45 seconds!

I made a similar mistake with a bird (no, not because of a cat tree,
something else). He recovered too. But I felt really bad anyway.

> I wouldn't jeopardize my kitties
> life again by buying something so cheap! Spend the extra money to get
> something solid. Unless of course, your cat is not very playful and
> wouldn't rush up the thing.

Maybe you could stabilize it with something. A nylon string from the
ceiling connected to the topmost part for example. That assumes you can do
physical stuff or have a friend who can.

Good luck.

> "~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
>> > It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4
>> > posts
>> > and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be
>> > made
>> of
>> > real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>> >
>> > I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone
>> > thought
>> > this seemed like a good deal?
>> >

>> If you don't have a large cat, then they work ok.. I personally
>> bought a tree from Wal-Mart that is about three maybe four feet tall,
>> that has a house at the top of it, and my cats love it. I also
>> bought a five foot
> tree
>> on ebay that they absolutely love..

John Doe
March 28th 04, 02:57 PM
"Heather Konieczny" > wrote

> I had one of these. When I got my new kitty, in addition to my 8
> month old, the two would play so rough and race around the house and
> up the cat tree. Soon, the tree broke and knocked my baby kitty out
> cold. He didn't move for 45 seconds!

I made a similar mistake with a bird (no, not because of a cat tree,
something else). He recovered too. But I felt really bad anyway.

> I wouldn't jeopardize my kitties
> life again by buying something so cheap! Spend the extra money to get
> something solid. Unless of course, your cat is not very playful and
> wouldn't rush up the thing.

Maybe you could stabilize it with something. A nylon string from the
ceiling connected to the topmost part for example. That assumes you can do
physical stuff or have a friend who can.

Good luck.

> "~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
>> > It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4
>> > posts
>> > and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be
>> > made
>> of
>> > real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>> >
>> > I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone
>> > thought
>> > this seemed like a good deal?
>> >

>> If you don't have a large cat, then they work ok.. I personally
>> bought a tree from Wal-Mart that is about three maybe four feet tall,
>> that has a house at the top of it, and my cats love it. I also
>> bought a five foot
> tree
>> on ebay that they absolutely love..

John Doe
March 28th 04, 03:00 PM
(Mel) wrote

> Ablang > wrote in message >...
>> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
>> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made of
>> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
>> this seemed like a good deal?
>

> We bought one and found it was very flimsy and the shelves were too
> small for any of my cats. Would only be suitable for tiny kittens.

But seriously.

> I just didn't trust it to safely support my cats so we laid it on the floor
> for them to use as a scratcher.
>
> Save your money and buy something decent at createacatcondo.com
> now those are sturdy safe trees. You can see the pictures and review
> I wrote for the ones I bought here:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~merrybreezesfarm/condoreview.html
>
> Mel

> From: (Mel)
> Newsgroups: alt.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
> Subject: Re: Walmart has $30 cat tree
> Date: 10 Mar 2004 09:04:50 -0800

John Doe
March 28th 04, 03:00 PM
(Mel) wrote

> Ablang > wrote in message >...
>> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
>> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be made of
>> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone thought
>> this seemed like a good deal?
>

> We bought one and found it was very flimsy and the shelves were too
> small for any of my cats. Would only be suitable for tiny kittens.

But seriously.

> I just didn't trust it to safely support my cats so we laid it on the floor
> for them to use as a scratcher.
>
> Save your money and buy something decent at createacatcondo.com
> now those are sturdy safe trees. You can see the pictures and review
> I wrote for the ones I bought here:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~merrybreezesfarm/condoreview.html
>
> Mel

> From: (Mel)
> Newsgroups: alt.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
> Subject: Re: Walmart has $30 cat tree
> Date: 10 Mar 2004 09:04:50 -0800

April 6th 04, 05:50 PM
ive had two of these trees..first one lasted 9 months...dusty used
bottom shelf to look out hershey would run to the top....over week it
got loose so i bought another(this one is still going from jan 03)...now
i have 7 cats using it...they range in size from 3lbs(shes a real smal
11 month old) to about 8lbs then one is about 12 lbs...mine is in a
corner so it wont wobble as much. i also have a couple one story
condos(they love them...much better then condo ive seen for 18 from loal
pet store....btw i know one pet supply catalog does sell cat craft for
double what walmart has them for(they make all the condos, trees and
some other scratching toys

April 6th 04, 05:50 PM
ive had two of these trees..first one lasted 9 months...dusty used
bottom shelf to look out hershey would run to the top....over week it
got loose so i bought another(this one is still going from jan 03)...now
i have 7 cats using it...they range in size from 3lbs(shes a real smal
11 month old) to about 8lbs then one is about 12 lbs...mine is in a
corner so it wont wobble as much. i also have a couple one story
condos(they love them...much better then condo ive seen for 18 from loal
pet store....btw i know one pet supply catalog does sell cat craft for
double what walmart has them for(they make all the condos, trees and
some other scratching toys

Stuart
April 8th 04, 03:46 AM
Yeah I thought it was great at first but after a while it wobbles in the
middle. I only have one 8lb cat but he races down the hall and straight up
it. The tower shakes terribly and I only got it in January. Having said that
he loves climbing it and he takes naps on the top perch. I think I'll have
to invest in a good sturdy one. Maybe I'll build one.

"John Doe" > wrote in message
> (Mel) wrote
>
> > Ablang > wrote in message
> >> It's one of those things that you put together, like a base, 4 posts
> >> and 4 platforms and it reaches the ceiling. The posts appear to be
made of
> >> real thick cardboard (think toilet paper when the TP is all gone).
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone owned one of these or if anyone
thought
> >> this seemed like a good deal?
> >

> > We bought one and found it was very flimsy and the shelves were too
> > small for any of my cats. Would only be suitable for tiny kittens.
>
> But seriously.
>

> > I just didn't trust it to safely support my cats so we laid it on the
floor
> > for them to use as a scratcher.
> >
> > Save your money and buy something decent at createacatcondo.com
> > now those are sturdy safe trees. You can see the pictures and review
> > I wrote for the ones I bought here:
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~merrybreezesfarm/condoreview.html
> >
> > Mel

> > From: (Mel)
> > Newsgroups: alt.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
> > Subject: Re: Walmart has $30 cat tree
> > Date: 10 Mar 2004 09:04:50 -0800

teetee
April 8th 04, 10:24 PM
Cat trees, for the most part, are a waste of $$$. Throw a few
cardboard boxes on the floor with cat-sized holes cut out and watch
the fun begin. My acts are also wild about paper bags, especially the
large, department store type, and that little ring that goes around
the milk cap. Drop one of those down on the floor and there's no
stopping them. Oh, and if you really don't mind the noise (put it up
before you go to bed), tissue paper and scraps of wrapping paper
drives them crazy.

teetee
April 8th 04, 10:24 PM
Cat trees, for the most part, are a waste of $$$. Throw a few
cardboard boxes on the floor with cat-sized holes cut out and watch
the fun begin. My acts are also wild about paper bags, especially the
large, department store type, and that little ring that goes around
the milk cap. Drop one of those down on the floor and there's no
stopping them. Oh, and if you really don't mind the noise (put it up
before you go to bed), tissue paper and scraps of wrapping paper
drives them crazy.

whayface
April 10th 04, 06:44 PM
The best Kitty Condos I have seen are from Pet Supplies Plus and they are made from all
wood and completely carpeted inside and out except for on the bottom. They have 1, 2 ,and
3 level condos up to 16 inches in diameter. I looked at some at Walmart and the inside is
not all carpeted plus the outside carpeting looks like it is ready to come of plus they
are made from carboard!!

I payed a little more but got quality that will last.