PDA

View Full Version : Are Hartz Flea Drops Anygood???

MICHELLE H.
March 9th 04, 08:59 AM
The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and
sister and who were left as strays in a cardboard box on a boating dock.

Anyway, even though they are both fixed, the male goes outside now
because he is the bigger of the two, and he is a GREAT hunter because he
catches mice for us that wander near the house and/or garage. But the
thing that worries me is that the people who live next door to us (
about 10 feet separates our houses ), have about 20 **** Zu dogs running
around in their yard ( chain fenced ). They also run a dog breeding and
dog grooming service, so there are dogs constantly coming and going.

I have seen both my cats starting to scatch themselves all over the past
few days, and now I am worried. Hopefully its just dry skin, and not
dredded fleas!!!!! But to be on the safe side, I still want to protect
them with fleadops. I have read that "Advantage" is the best, but its
also expensive, like $45 dollars I think. I have seen cheaper ones in
the store such as "Zodiac" flea drops for as little as $7.99 which says
100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back, as well as "Hartz
Advanced Care" flea drops for $12.99 which claims to kill both fleas and
flea eggs.

But are these ones any good??? Do they work or are they a waste of
money??? Are they safe??? I would like to get "Advantage" but I am
currently only working part-time, and can't really afford it, but I
don't want fleas in my home, but from the cats scatching up a storm, it
may be to late??? Do the "Hartz Advanced Care" flea drops work, or do I
need to buy the "Advantage"??? Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!

---MIKE---
March 9th 04, 12:29 PM
They will give you your money back BUT will they replace your cat?
Don't use any product other than Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution.
The price you mentioned ($45) would be for a package of three. These
can also be purchased on line. Try http:www/noahspets.com

-MIKE

---MIKE---
March 9th 04, 12:29 PM
They will give you your money back BUT will they replace your cat?
Don't use any product other than Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution.
The price you mentioned ($45) would be for a package of three. These
can also be purchased on line. Try http:www/noahspets.com

-MIKE

Jacqueline
March 9th 04, 12:58 PM
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 07:29:01 -0500 (EST),
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>They will give you your money back BUT will they replace your cat?
>Don't use any product other than Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution.
>The price you mentioned ($45) would be for a package of three. These
>can also be purchased on line. Try http:www/noahspets.com

Over the counter preparations usually aren't as strong or effective as
prescriptive ones. I got a big bottle of Frontline spray from the vet
for £18 (what's that in dollars - about 40?) and it lasts for ages.

Don't forget if your little furry friends do catch fleas, you have to
treat the environment too. Most of the eggs lie in carpets and soft
furnishings so if you remove them from your cat but not your sofa the
wee buggers just lie dormant then hop right back on again and start
the cycle all over.

(---MIKE---) wrote:

>They will give you your money back BUT will they replace your cat?
>Don't use any product other than Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution.
>The price you mentioned ($45) would be for a package of three. These
>can also be purchased on line. Try http:www/noahspets.com

Over the counter preparations usually aren't as strong or effective as
prescriptive ones. I got a big bottle of Frontline spray from the vet
for £18 (what's that in dollars - about 40?) and it lasts for ages.

Don't forget if your little furry friends do catch fleas, you have to
treat the environment too. Most of the eggs lie in carpets and soft
furnishings so if you remove them from your cat but not your sofa the
wee buggers just lie dormant then hop right back on again and start
the cycle all over.

Ted Davis
March 9th 04, 02:00 PM
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:59:00 -0500 (EST),
(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

>The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
>upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
>male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and
>sister and who were left as strays in a cardboard box on a boating dock.
>
>Anyway, even though they are both fixed, the male goes outside now
>because he is the bigger of the two, and he is a GREAT hunter because he
>catches mice for us that wander near the house and/or garage. But the
>thing that worries me is that the people who live next door to us (
>about 10 feet separates our houses ), have about 20 **** Zu dogs running
>around in their yard ( chain fenced ). They also run a dog breeding and
>dog grooming service, so there are dogs constantly coming and going.
>
>I have seen both my cats starting to scatch themselves all over the past
>few days, and now I am worried. Hopefully its just dry skin, and not
>dredded fleas!!!!! But to be on the safe side, I still want to protect
>them with fleadops. I have read that "Advantage" is the best, but its
>also expensive, like $45 dollars I think. I have seen cheaper ones in
>the store such as "Zodiac" flea drops for as little as $7.99 which says
>100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back, as well as "Hartz
>Advanced Care" flea drops for $12.99 which claims to kill both fleas and
>flea eggs.
>
>But are these ones any good??? Do they work or are they a waste of
>money??? Are they safe??? I would like to get "Advantage" but I am
>currently only working part-time, and can't really afford it, but I
>don't want fleas in my home, but from the cats scatching up a storm, it
>may be to late??? Do the "Hartz Advanced Care" flea drops work, or do I
>need to buy the "Advantage"??? Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!!

I haven't looked at the current products, but a couple of years ago I
used the Hartz drops with only one death and one illness, both due to
losing control of the cat and the drops going down the side. With 12
cats, Frontline and Advantage were entirely too expensive: my vet
sells them for about $10 US per cat dose.

Someone here told me that I could use the large dog package and divide
it up with a syringe or something. I just did 12 cats and two largish
dogs for $40 and had a little left over. The formula's are nearly
identical: there is a bit more of the flea egg ingredient in the cat
dose.

The cat dose for Frontline is 0.5ml and the large dog package is 4 ml.
If you can find someone to sell you a single large dog dose, and you
can get a small syringe or calibrated dropper and a thightly sealing
bottle, you could apply that approach to your two and get four months
worth for little more than the cost of one month of cat dose for one
cat.

T.E.D. )

(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

>The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
>upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
>male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and
>sister and who were left as strays in a cardboard box on a boating dock.
>
>Anyway, even though they are both fixed, the male goes outside now
>because he is the bigger of the two, and he is a GREAT hunter because he
>catches mice for us that wander near the house and/or garage. But the
>thing that worries me is that the people who live next door to us (
>about 10 feet separates our houses ), have about 20 **** Zu dogs running
>around in their yard ( chain fenced ). They also run a dog breeding and
>dog grooming service, so there are dogs constantly coming and going.
>
>I have seen both my cats starting to scatch themselves all over the past
>few days, and now I am worried. Hopefully its just dry skin, and not
>dredded fleas!!!!! But to be on the safe side, I still want to protect
>them with fleadops. I have read that "Advantage" is the best, but its
>also expensive, like $45 dollars I think. I have seen cheaper ones in
>the store such as "Zodiac" flea drops for as little as $7.99 which says
>100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back, as well as "Hartz
>Advanced Care" flea drops for $12.99 which claims to kill both fleas and
>flea eggs.
>
>But are these ones any good??? Do they work or are they a waste of
>money??? Are they safe??? I would like to get "Advantage" but I am
>currently only working part-time, and can't really afford it, but I
>don't want fleas in my home, but from the cats scatching up a storm, it
>may be to late??? Do the "Hartz Advanced Care" flea drops work, or do I
>need to buy the "Advantage"??? Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!!

I haven't looked at the current products, but a couple of years ago I
used the Hartz drops with only one death and one illness, both due to
losing control of the cat and the drops going down the side. With 12
cats, Frontline and Advantage were entirely too expensive: my vet
sells them for about $10 US per cat dose.

Someone here told me that I could use the large dog package and divide
it up with a syringe or something. I just did 12 cats and two largish
dogs for $40 and had a little left over. The formula's are nearly
identical: there is a bit more of the flea egg ingredient in the cat
dose.

The cat dose for Frontline is 0.5ml and the large dog package is 4 ml.
If you can find someone to sell you a single large dog dose, and you
can get a small syringe or calibrated dropper and a thightly sealing
bottle, you could apply that approach to your two and get four months
worth for little more than the cost of one month of cat dose for one
cat.

T.E.D. )

MaryL
March 9th 04, 03:22 PM
"Ted Davis" > wrote in message

> I haven't looked at the current products, but a couple of years ago I
> used the Hartz drops with only one death and one illness, both due to
> losing control of the cat and the drops going down the side. With 12
> cats, Frontline and Advantage were entirely too expensive: my vet
> sells them for about $10 US per cat dose.
>

> T.E.D. )
> SPAM filter: Messages to this address *must* contain "T.E.D."
> somewhere in the body or they will be automatically rejected.

You've *got* to be kidding!!! "Only" one death and one illness?! With 12
cats, that means almost 10 percent died and 10 percent became ill, and you
refer to it as "only."

Michelle, people have been working for a number of years in an attempt to
have Hartz withdrawn from the market because of numerous reports of
reactions, including death. You would be much better off to get the larger
quantities of Advantage and dispense it for individual cats. Use google to
search for correct dosage.

MaryL

MaryL
March 9th 04, 03:22 PM
"Ted Davis" > wrote in message

> I haven't looked at the current products, but a couple of years ago I
> used the Hartz drops with only one death and one illness, both due to
> losing control of the cat and the drops going down the side. With 12
> cats, Frontline and Advantage were entirely too expensive: my vet
> sells them for about $10 US per cat dose.
>

> T.E.D. )
> SPAM filter: Messages to this address *must* contain "T.E.D."
> somewhere in the body or they will be automatically rejected.

You've *got* to be kidding!!! "Only" one death and one illness?! With 12
cats, that means almost 10 percent died and 10 percent became ill, and you
refer to it as "only."

Michelle, people have been working for a number of years in an attempt to
have Hartz withdrawn from the market because of numerous reports of
reactions, including death. You would be much better off to get the larger
quantities of Advantage and dispense it for individual cats. Use google to
search for correct dosage.

MaryL

TCS
March 9th 04, 05:41 PM
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:59:00 -0500 (EST), MICHELLE H. > wrote:
>The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
>upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
>male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and

DO NOT USE ANY HARTZ INSECT CONTROL PRODUCTS! Their doses are far too
high are you risk killing your pet if you aren't very carefull.

Go to your vet and get something that'll actually work without sickening
your animal.

TCS
March 9th 04, 05:41 PM
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:59:00 -0500 (EST), MICHELLE H. > wrote:
>The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
>upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
>male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and

DO NOT USE ANY HARTZ INSECT CONTROL PRODUCTS! Their doses are far too
high are you risk killing your pet if you aren't very carefull.

Go to your vet and get something that'll actually work without sickening
your animal.

---MIKE---
March 9th 04, 05:43 PM
I have to disagree with Jaqueline. IF you catch the fleas early enough,
treating the cats should be enough. Any fleas that hatch will jump on
the cat for blood and promptly die. The treatment usually lasts about 6
weeks. I goofed on the site. It's http://www.noahspets.com

-MIKE

---MIKE---
March 9th 04, 05:43 PM
I have to disagree with Jaqueline. IF you catch the fleas early enough,
treating the cats should be enough. Any fleas that hatch will jump on
the cat for blood and promptly die. The treatment usually lasts about 6
weeks. I goofed on the site. It's http://www.noahspets.com

-MIKE

MICHELLE H.
March 9th 04, 05:44 PM
First off I want to say thanks for all of your GREAT information, I
really do appreciate it. But I have another question. Doesn't
"Advantage" kill the flea eggs as well, or it does something to the
fleas so that they can't lay eggs anymore, so in theory it breaks the
lifecycle of the fleas, or do I have to flea bomb the house with one of
those flea foggers???

MICHELLE H.
March 9th 04, 05:44 PM
First off I want to say thanks for all of your GREAT information, I
really do appreciate it. But I have another question. Doesn't
"Advantage" kill the flea eggs as well, or it does something to the
fleas so that they can't lay eggs anymore, so in theory it breaks the
lifecycle of the fleas, or do I have to flea bomb the house with one of
those flea foggers???

Jacqueline
March 9th 04, 06:55 PM
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:43:38 -0500 (EST),
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>I have to disagree with Jaqueline. IF you catch the fleas early enough,
>treating the cats should be enough. Any fleas that hatch will jump on
>the cat for blood and promptly die. The treatment usually lasts about 6
>weeks. I goofed on the site. It's http://www.noahspets.com

If you catch the fleas early enough, but how do you know if you have?
By the time you see one, chances are there are thousands of 'em
hopping around. It's estimated that for every one on the cat there are
200 just waiting to hop on for a free meal.

If you use one of the stronger preps (like Frontline), regularly every
month or 6 weeks as instructed you'll kill the ones that hop back on
the cat, but if they're still laying eggs and breeding in your carpets
you could still get a few bites on the ankle! Fleas can lie dormant
for up to 2 years in carpets without feasting. *shudder*

Incidentally, quite worried by someone's suggestion to use dog
preparations, as I know some flea treatments used on dogs are toxic to
cats. I'd say check with your vet first.

(---MIKE---) wrote:

>I have to disagree with Jaqueline. IF you catch the fleas early enough,
>treating the cats should be enough. Any fleas that hatch will jump on
>the cat for blood and promptly die. The treatment usually lasts about 6
>weeks. I goofed on the site. It's http://www.noahspets.com

If you catch the fleas early enough, but how do you know if you have?
By the time you see one, chances are there are thousands of 'em
hopping around. It's estimated that for every one on the cat there are
200 just waiting to hop on for a free meal.

If you use one of the stronger preps (like Frontline), regularly every
month or 6 weeks as instructed you'll kill the ones that hop back on
the cat, but if they're still laying eggs and breeding in your carpets
you could still get a few bites on the ankle! Fleas can lie dormant
for up to 2 years in carpets without feasting. *shudder*

Incidentally, quite worried by someone's suggestion to use dog
preparations, as I know some flea treatments used on dogs are toxic to
cats. I'd say check with your vet first.

Sharon Talbert
March 9th 04, 08:55 PM
Advantage kills on contact and keeps on killing for 3-4 weeks. As flea
eggs hatch, they die.

Like you, I hate to flea bomb. Advantage (or Frontline or Revolution) is
effective enough that I don't have to bomb. As fleas jump from the rug to
the cat they are killed. Vacuuming helps, as well, if you bag and discard
the vacuum bag.

I also heartily recommend taking up all cat bedding and giving it a good
wash (bagging it tightly in plastic if you don't wash right away).

Just as an aside, another great flea product is Capstar, which kills fleas
immediately and kills for about 3 days. We use it in our rescue work, for
new young arrivals. Capstar is safe even for very small kittens (4
weeks).

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

[...]

March 9th 04, 08:58 PM
> Incidentally, quite worried by someone's suggestion to use dog
> preparations, as I know some flea treatments used on dogs are toxic to
> cats. I'd say check with your vet first.

Actually, the formula (in Advantage & Revolution) is the same for cats as
for dogs; it is a matter of quantity. But yes; always check with the vet
first. Our vet showed me how to use the big dog formula Revolution to
treat our houseful of fraidycat house ferals. It worked great!

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert
March 9th 04, 08:58 PM
> Incidentally, quite worried by someone's suggestion to use dog
> preparations, as I know some flea treatments used on dogs are toxic to
> cats. I'd say check with your vet first.

Actually, the formula (in Advantage & Revolution) is the same for cats as
for dogs; it is a matter of quantity. But yes; always check with the vet
first. Our vet showed me how to use the big dog formula Revolution to
treat our houseful of fraidycat house ferals. It worked great!

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

MaryL
March 9th 04, 10:22 PM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> Advantage kills on contact and keeps on killing for 3-4 weeks. As flea
> eggs hatch, they die.
>
> Like you, I hate to flea bomb. Advantage (or Frontline or Revolution) is
> effective enough that I don't have to bomb. As fleas jump from the rug to
> the cat they are killed. Vacuuming helps, as well, if you bag and discard
> the vacuum bag.
>
> I also heartily recommend taking up all cat bedding and giving it a good
> wash (bagging it tightly in plastic if you don't wash right away).
>
> Just as an aside, another great flea product is Capstar, which kills fleas
> immediately and kills for about 3 days. We use it in our rescue work, for
> new young arrivals. Capstar is safe even for very small kittens (4
> weeks).
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats
> www.campuscats.org

In addition to the pointers listed here and in some other replies, you could
cut a flea collar into fairly pieces and vacuum a couple of them in the
vacuum bag or cannister. This would help to control any eggs or stray fleas
that might be collected. Incidentally, I would *never* use a flea collar on
my cats. Mine are indoor only, so I rarely need flea control -- but when I
do, I use Advantage.

MaryL

MaryL
March 9th 04, 10:22 PM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> Advantage kills on contact and keeps on killing for 3-4 weeks. As flea
> eggs hatch, they die.
>
> Like you, I hate to flea bomb. Advantage (or Frontline or Revolution) is
> effective enough that I don't have to bomb. As fleas jump from the rug to
> the cat they are killed. Vacuuming helps, as well, if you bag and discard
> the vacuum bag.
>
> I also heartily recommend taking up all cat bedding and giving it a good
> wash (bagging it tightly in plastic if you don't wash right away).
>
> Just as an aside, another great flea product is Capstar, which kills fleas
> immediately and kills for about 3 days. We use it in our rescue work, for
> new young arrivals. Capstar is safe even for very small kittens (4
> weeks).
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats
> www.campuscats.org

In addition to the pointers listed here and in some other replies, you could
cut a flea collar into fairly pieces and vacuum a couple of them in the
vacuum bag or cannister. This would help to control any eggs or stray fleas
that might be collected. Incidentally, I would *never* use a flea collar on
my cats. Mine are indoor only, so I rarely need flea control -- but when I
do, I use Advantage.

MaryL

GoobAudio
March 9th 04, 11:36 PM
My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
something here?

Phil

GoobAudio
March 9th 04, 11:36 PM
My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
something here?

Phil

kilikini
March 9th 04, 11:39 PM
"GoobAudio" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> something here?
>
> Phil

I didn't know that there was a non-perscription, but $85 seems a
ridiculously high price! I think I paid about $20 for a three month supply
last time at my vet. How large is your cat?

kili

kilikini
March 9th 04, 11:39 PM
"GoobAudio" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> something here?
>
> Phil

I didn't know that there was a non-perscription, but $85 seems a
ridiculously high price! I think I paid about $20 for a three month supply
last time at my vet. How large is your cat?

kili

MaryL
March 10th 04, 04:27 AM
"GoobAudio" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> something here?
>
> Phil

I looked through some of my receipts and had to go back 6 months because I
don't often need flea medication. However, my bill for 1 Advantage-orange
was $11.98 from the vet. Your bill seems pretty high, and a 6-pack should
be a little cheaper than 6 individual doses. Incidentally, I thought that
all Advantage required a prescription.

MaryL

MaryL
March 10th 04, 04:27 AM
"GoobAudio" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> something here?
>
> Phil

I looked through some of my receipts and had to go back 6 months because I
don't often need flea medication. However, my bill for 1 Advantage-orange
was $11.98 from the vet. Your bill seems pretty high, and a 6-pack should
be a little cheaper than 6 individual doses. Incidentally, I thought that
all Advantage required a prescription.

MaryL

kilikini
March 10th 04, 02:13 PM

> "GoobAudio" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> > perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> > something here?
> >
> > Phil
> >

> I looked through some of my receipts and had to go back 6 months because I
> don't often need flea medication. However, my bill for 1 Advantage-orange
> was $11.98 from the vet. Your bill seems pretty high, and a 6-pack should
> be a little cheaper than 6 individual doses. Incidentally, I thought that
> all Advantage required a prescription.
>
> MaryL

Yep, I totally agree. My dog's advantage (and he's over 50 pounds) is about
$12 a month. I can't imagine paying $14 a month for a cat that can't weigh
over 15 - 20 pounds!

kili

kilikini
March 10th 04, 02:13 PM

> "GoobAudio" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> > perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> > something here?
> >
> > Phil
> >

> I looked through some of my receipts and had to go back 6 months because I
> don't often need flea medication. However, my bill for 1 Advantage-orange
> was $11.98 from the vet. Your bill seems pretty high, and a 6-pack should
> be a little cheaper than 6 individual doses. Incidentally, I thought that
> all Advantage required a prescription.
>
> MaryL

Yep, I totally agree. My dog's advantage (and he's over 50 pounds) is about
$12 a month. I can't imagine paying $14 a month for a cat that can't weigh
over 15 - 20 pounds!

kili

kilikini
March 10th 04, 02:14 PM
"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "GoobAudio" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> > perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> > something here?
> >
> > Phil
> >

> I didn't know that there was a non-perscription, but $85 seems a
> ridiculously high price! I think I paid about $20 for a three month supply
> last time at my vet. How large is your cat?
>
> kili

Okay, I take that back, I meant to write $30 for a three month supply -
sorry. typo.

kili

kilikini
March 10th 04, 02:14 PM
"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "GoobAudio" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
> > perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
> > something here?
> >
> > Phil
> >

> I didn't know that there was a non-perscription, but $85 seems a
> ridiculously high price! I think I paid about $20 for a three month supply
> last time at my vet. How large is your cat?
>
> kili

Okay, I take that back, I meant to write $30 for a three month supply -
sorry. typo.

kili

Cat Protector
March 10th 04, 07:19 PM
Don't use Hartz unless you are willing to have your cat die a rather
horrible death.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"MICHELLE H." > wrote in message
> The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
> upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
> male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and
> sister and who were left as strays in a cardboard box on a boating dock.
>
> Anyway, even though they are both fixed, the male goes outside now
> because he is the bigger of the two, and he is a GREAT hunter because he
> catches mice for us that wander near the house and/or garage. But the
> thing that worries me is that the people who live next door to us (
> about 10 feet separates our houses ), have about 20 **** Zu dogs running
> around in their yard ( chain fenced ). They also run a dog breeding and
> dog grooming service, so there are dogs constantly coming and going.
>
> I have seen both my cats starting to scatch themselves all over the past
> few days, and now I am worried. Hopefully its just dry skin, and not
> dredded fleas!!!!! But to be on the safe side, I still want to protect
> them with fleadops. I have read that "Advantage" is the best, but its
> also expensive, like $45 dollars I think. I have seen cheaper ones in
> the store such as "Zodiac" flea drops for as little as $7.99 which says
> 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back, as well as "Hartz
> Advanced Care" flea drops for $12.99 which claims to kill both fleas and
> flea eggs.
>
> But are these ones any good??? Do they work or are they a waste of
> money??? Are they safe??? I would like to get "Advantage" but I am
> currently only working part-time, and can't really afford it, but I
> don't want fleas in my home, but from the cats scatching up a storm, it
> may be to late??? Do the "Hartz Advanced Care" flea drops work, or do I
> need to buy the "Advantage"??? Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!!
> Thanks!!!

Thunder Perfect Mind
March 25th 04, 10:51 PM
Here is what our vet recommended to keep cost down for our three cats
and small dog. Buy the advantage for the largest dog you can get,
then apply 3-4 drops on each cat. The advantage is the same but they
jack the prices up for smaller animals as they base it on doses not
volume of advantage.

//\//\

Thunder Perfect Mind
March 25th 04, 10:51 PM
Here is what our vet recommended to keep cost down for our three cats
and small dog. Buy the advantage for the largest dog you can get,
then apply 3-4 drops on each cat. The advantage is the same but they
jack the prices up for smaller animals as they base it on doses not
volume of advantage.

//\//\

Ted Davis
March 26th 04, 01:18 AM
On 25 Mar 2004 14:51:33 -0800, (Thunder Perfect
Mind) wrote:

>Here is what our vet recommended to keep cost down for our three cats
>and small dog. Buy the advantage for the largest dog you can get,
>then apply 3-4 drops on each cat. The advantage is the same but they
>jack the prices up for smaller animals as they base it on doses not
>volume of advantage.

I use Frontline (I also have a tick problem) for twelve cats and two
50-70 pound dogs. In round numbers, cat doses for twelve cats would
be about $120 per month ($30 per three-pack). One three-pack of the
largest dog size package costs a bit under $40 and provides measured
0.5 ml doses for the cats and 2.5+ ml doses for the dogs.

I do recommend measuring the doses rather than trying to count drops.
Either a 3 cc syringe (no needle or a blunt needle) or a marked
dropper will do nicely for both measuring and delivering the doses.
I'm thinking about getting a teat needle (for cows) - it has a well
rounded end, a large bore, and two holes on opposite sides. I would
need to plug one of the holes though.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Mind) wrote:

>Here is what our vet recommended to keep cost down for our three cats
>and small dog. Buy the advantage for the largest dog you can get,
>then apply 3-4 drops on each cat. The advantage is the same but they
>jack the prices up for smaller animals as they base it on doses not
>volume of advantage.

I use Frontline (I also have a tick problem) for twelve cats and two
50-70 pound dogs. In round numbers, cat doses for twelve cats would
be about $120 per month ($30 per three-pack). One three-pack of the
largest dog size package costs a bit under $40 and provides measured
0.5 ml doses for the cats and 2.5+ ml doses for the dogs.

I do recommend measuring the doses rather than trying to count drops.
Either a 3 cc syringe (no needle or a blunt needle) or a marked
dropper will do nicely for both measuring and delivering the doses.
I'm thinking about getting a teat needle (for cows) - it has a well
rounded end, a large bore, and two holes on opposite sides. I would
need to plug one of the holes though.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

~*Connie*~
March 26th 04, 01:50 AM
From their own website:
For cats:
Active Ingredient
% By Weight

Imidacloprid; 1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridinyl)
methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine
9.1%

For dogs:
Active Ingredient
% By Weight

Imidacloprid; 1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridinyl)
methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine
9.1%

Since the active ingredient is exactly the same, I would agree with your
vet. Ive heard professionals recommending dog frontline for cats, but their
active ingredients are different, so that seems dangerous.

"Thunder Perfect Mind" > wrote in message
om...
> Here is what our vet recommended to keep cost down for our three cats
> and small dog. Buy the advantage for the largest dog you can get,
> then apply 3-4 drops on each cat. The advantage is the same but they
> jack the prices up for smaller animals as they base it on doses not
> volume of advantage.
>
> //\//\

~*Connie*~
March 26th 04, 01:50 AM
From their own website:
For cats:
Active Ingredient
% By Weight

Imidacloprid; 1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridinyl)
methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine
9.1%

For dogs:
Active Ingredient
% By Weight

Imidacloprid; 1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridinyl)
methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine
9.1%

Since the active ingredient is exactly the same, I would agree with your
vet. Ive heard professionals recommending dog frontline for cats, but their
active ingredients are different, so that seems dangerous.

"Thunder Perfect Mind" > wrote in message
om...
> Here is what our vet recommended to keep cost down for our three cats
> and small dog. Buy the advantage for the largest dog you can get,
> then apply 3-4 drops on each cat. The advantage is the same but they
> jack the prices up for smaller animals as they base it on doses not
> volume of advantage.
>
> //\//\

Ted Davis
March 26th 04, 01:39 PM
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:50:04 GMT, "~*Connie*~" > wrote:

>From their own website:
>For cats:
> Active Ingredient
> % By Weight
>

> Imidacloprid; 1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridinyl)
>methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine
> 9.1%
>

>For dogs:
> Active Ingredient
> % By Weight
>

> Imidacloprid; 1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridinyl)
>methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine
> 9.1%
>

>Since the active ingredient is exactly the same, I would agree with your
>vet. Ive heard professionals recommending dog frontline for cats, but their
>active ingredients are different, so that seems dangerous.

The difference is that there is less of the flea egg inhibitor in the
dog version - the adult flea and tick parts are exactly the same.
Less poison is hardly more dangerous.