PDA

View Full Version : Relocating cat

ephemeral
March 11th 04, 01:07 PM
I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
TIA
ephemeral

kilikini
March 11th 04, 04:01 PM
"ephemeral" > wrote in message
> I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
> finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
> comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
> me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
> TIA
> ephemeral

Are you flying or driving? If flying, the airlines have dramatically
improved the handling of animals. It's no longer a great concern. If you
give us a few more details about your cat's trip, we might be able to help
you more.

kilikini

kilikini
March 11th 04, 04:01 PM
"ephemeral" > wrote in message
> I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
> finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
> comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
> me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
> TIA
> ephemeral

Are you flying or driving? If flying, the airlines have dramatically
improved the handling of animals. It's no longer a great concern. If you
give us a few more details about your cat's trip, we might be able to help
you more.

kilikini

ephemeral
March 11th 04, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I just assume everyone knows she is flying. I'm hoping to get
her on a nonstop flight but she is traveling alone as cargo(?). My son
will deliver her at the Seattle end and I will pick her up at this end
(National hopefully). She's not a happy traveler - she gets very
nervous. Tried a sedative once but it didn't seem to help. She's a
small cat and I hesitate to give her drugs although hopefully the
kitty pheremones she's been on for the past few months will help. Any
info you can provide will be a great help:)
ephemeral

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:01:05 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"ephemeral" > wrote in message
>> I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
>> finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
>> comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
>> me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
>> TIA
>> ephemeral
>
>Are you flying or driving? If flying, the airlines have dramatically
>improved the handling of animals. It's no longer a great concern. If you
>give us a few more details about your cat's trip, we might be able to help
>you more.
>
>kilikini

ephemeral
March 11th 04, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I just assume everyone knows she is flying. I'm hoping to get
her on a nonstop flight but she is traveling alone as cargo(?). My son
will deliver her at the Seattle end and I will pick her up at this end
(National hopefully). She's not a happy traveler - she gets very
nervous. Tried a sedative once but it didn't seem to help. She's a
small cat and I hesitate to give her drugs although hopefully the
kitty pheremones she's been on for the past few months will help. Any
info you can provide will be a great help:)
ephemeral

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:01:05 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"ephemeral" > wrote in message
>> I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
>> finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
>> comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
>> me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
>> TIA
>> ephemeral
>
>Are you flying or driving? If flying, the airlines have dramatically
>improved the handling of animals. It's no longer a great concern. If you
>give us a few more details about your cat's trip, we might be able to help
>you more.
>
>kilikini

Vincent Wilcox
April 7th 04, 12:44 AM
ephemeral wrote:
> I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
> finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
> comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
> me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
> TIA
> ephemeral

Shipped a cat from London to Melbourne 28 hour flight plus 6 months
quarantine and then back Melbourne to London 28 hour flight plus 3
months in quarantine. The cat survived, she didn't like it mind, having
said that they are tough, no sweat. It will be the rehousing that is
more important than the temporary discomfort of the transit. Besides if
I could get as much space as a cat in a box on my tube ride to work I'd
be a happy bunny...

Vincent Wilcox
April 7th 04, 12:44 AM
ephemeral wrote:
> I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
> finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
> comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
> me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
> TIA
> ephemeral

Shipped a cat from London to Melbourne 28 hour flight plus 6 months
quarantine and then back Melbourne to London 28 hour flight plus 3
months in quarantine. The cat survived, she didn't like it mind, having
said that they are tough, no sweat. It will be the rehousing that is
more important than the temporary discomfort of the transit. Besides if
I could get as much space as a cat in a box on my tube ride to work I'd
be a happy bunny...

Luvskats00
April 7th 04, 02:19 PM
If at all possible, make arrangements for you to fly - with your cat. Do not
have the cat in cargo ..no exceptions.

Luvskats00
April 7th 04, 02:19 PM
If at all possible, make arrangements for you to fly - with your cat. Do not
have the cat in cargo ..no exceptions.

kilikini
April 7th 04, 02:47 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
> If at all possible, make arrangements for you to fly - with your cat. Do
not
> have the cat in cargo ..no exceptions.

Luvkats, it's not as bad as it used to be. I believe they pressurize the
cargo hold now just because of the animals. The airlines have been sued too
many times over the years due to their negligence.

kili

kilikini
April 7th 04, 02:47 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
> If at all possible, make arrangements for you to fly - with your cat. Do
not
> have the cat in cargo ..no exceptions.

Luvkats, it's not as bad as it used to be. I believe they pressurize the
cargo hold now just because of the animals. The airlines have been sued too
many times over the years due to their negligence.

kili

Gee
April 14th 04, 07:06 AM
"ephemeral" > wrote in message
> I need to ship my cat from Seattle to WA DC. I'm having problems
> finding any but the barest information on how to make this as
> comfortable as possible for the cat. Can anyone provide tips or point
> me to a website/newsgroup that might help.
> TIA
> ephemeral

Here's a handy link about traveling in/out UK, which may provide you with
some usefull travel tips

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

and for US and Canada:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/usa_canada.htm