PDA

View Full Version : Trick to make cat drink more water

Ablang
March 20th 04, 02:08 AM
One day when I was sitting on the can, I noticed my kitty displaying
some strange behavior. She jumped up onto the sink and into the bowl (not
unusual), and was trying to lick water from the faucet for the 1st time (it
doesn't drip at all).

So that kind of told me that she isn't getting enough water from the
Drinkwell fountain (some sites claim you can use the filter indefinitely,
but I guess 6 months is probably 4 months too long). Her pee is very
yellow.

I have been feeding her 2 oz twice a day (dry cat food) all along,
but this time I decided to pour a cup of water (8 oz) into her empty dish
and put the dry food on top. She is kind of apprehensive about seeing her
food floating and moving, so before each meal I take out a spoon and shovel
up 1 bit of food and some water and keep feeding her til she decides to eat
the rest on her own. So now she drinks up to 2 cups of water a day that
way! Now her pee is very clear, although I have seen her pee up to 3 times
in 2 hours.

So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?

--
"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." -- Alice Walker

Maya J. Wozniak
March 20th 04, 03:12 AM
Hey! :)

My cat Starla didn't like drinking water out of her dish either. She would
try to drink out of the toilet but its been kinda clogged for a while so the
water level is low and she didn't have that option. Anyways, one night I
had set a cup of water on my nightstand and as im trying to fall asleep, I
hear a lapping by my face. She was drinking out of the cup. She has
continued doing that and I got kinda sick of injesting cat hair and spit so
I gave her her own cup on the nightstand. It's always there now full of
water and she drinks like crazy. Something about if a cat finds the water
himself/herself they are more likely to drink it.

Anyways that's my technique and it WORKS.

:)

Maya

"Ablang" > wrote in message
> One day when I was sitting on the can, I noticed my kitty displaying
> some strange behavior. She jumped up onto the sink and into the bowl (not
> unusual), and was trying to lick water from the faucet for the 1st time
(it
> doesn't drip at all).
>
> So that kind of told me that she isn't getting enough water from the
> Drinkwell fountain (some sites claim you can use the filter indefinitely,
> but I guess 6 months is probably 4 months too long). Her pee is very
> yellow.
>
> I have been feeding her 2 oz twice a day (dry cat food) all along,
> but this time I decided to pour a cup of water (8 oz) into her empty dish
> and put the dry food on top. She is kind of apprehensive about seeing her
> food floating and moving, so before each meal I take out a spoon and
shovel
> up 1 bit of food and some water and keep feeding her til she decides to
eat
> the rest on her own. So now she drinks up to 2 cups of water a day that
> way! Now her pee is very clear, although I have seen her pee up to 3
times
> in 2 hours.
>
> So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
> What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?
>
> --
> "Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." -- Alice Walker

rpl
March 20th 04, 07:31 PM
Ablang wrote:
<snip>
> So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
> What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?

At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance, why do you need to make cats
drink water? Don't they do it on their own ?

pat

rpl
March 20th 04, 07:31 PM
Ablang wrote:
<snip>
> So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
> What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?

At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance, why do you need to make cats
drink water? Don't they do it on their own ?

pat

March 21st 04, 05:38 AM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:31:03 GMT, rpl >
wrote:

>Ablang wrote:
><snip>
>> So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
>> What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?
>>

>At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance, why do you need to make cats
>drink water? Don't they do it on their own ?
>
>pat

I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
dog die from this when I was a kid.
My cat eats all canned food now and is doing well. I'm gradually
adding a little dry now because I still think he needs it. I like the
suggestion of mixing dry food with water, but wonder about the clean
up. Since cats don't always consume the food all at once, doesn't the
food get kind of soggy? When I was mixing canned with dry (before the
all canned diet), the gravy from the canned food made the dry get
pasty and sticky. My cat rarely ate it all and cleaning his bowl
became a daily chore.
pepsi

wrote:

>Ablang wrote:
><snip>
>> So, does anyone have any questions or comments about my technique?
>> What is your trick(s) for making yours drink water?
>>

>At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance, why do you need to make cats
>drink water? Don't they do it on their own ?
>
>pat

I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
dog die from this when I was a kid.
My cat eats all canned food now and is doing well. I'm gradually
adding a little dry now because I still think he needs it. I like the
suggestion of mixing dry food with water, but wonder about the clean
up. Since cats don't always consume the food all at once, doesn't the
food get kind of soggy? When I was mixing canned with dry (before the
all canned diet), the gravy from the canned food made the dry get
pasty and sticky. My cat rarely ate it all and cleaning his bowl
became a daily chore.
pepsi

M.C. Mullen
March 21st 04, 08:59 AM
| I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
| don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
| did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
| suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
| through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
| not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
| which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
| complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
| balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
| drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
| dog die from this when I was a kid.

How can such a thing happen?
Was it a very small dog?

Carola

M.C. Mullen
March 21st 04, 08:59 AM
| I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
| don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
| did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
| suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
| through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
| not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
| which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
| complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
| balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
| drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
| dog die from this when I was a kid.

How can such a thing happen?
Was it a very small dog?

Carola

kilikini
March 21st 04, 09:39 AM
"Maya J. Wozniak" > wrote in message
m...
> Hey! :)
>
> My cat Starla didn't like drinking water out of her dish either. She
would
> try to drink out of the toilet but its been kinda clogged for a while so
the
> water level is low and she didn't have that option. Anyways, one night I
> had set a cup of water on my nightstand and as im trying to fall asleep, I
> hear a lapping by my face. She was drinking out of the cup. She has
> continued doing that and I got kinda sick of injesting cat hair and spit
so
> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand. It's always there now full of
> water and she drinks like crazy. Something about if a cat finds the water
> himself/herself they are more likely to drink it.
>
> Anyways that's my technique and it WORKS.
>
> :)
>
> Maya

Giving my cats their own glass was the *only* way that I could get my girls
to drink water. Now they have two glasses. They need to feel important
too.
kili

kilikini
March 21st 04, 09:39 AM
"Maya J. Wozniak" > wrote in message
m...
> Hey! :)
>
> My cat Starla didn't like drinking water out of her dish either. She
would
> try to drink out of the toilet but its been kinda clogged for a while so
the
> water level is low and she didn't have that option. Anyways, one night I
> had set a cup of water on my nightstand and as im trying to fall asleep, I
> hear a lapping by my face. She was drinking out of the cup. She has
> continued doing that and I got kinda sick of injesting cat hair and spit
so
> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand. It's always there now full of
> water and she drinks like crazy. Something about if a cat finds the water
> himself/herself they are more likely to drink it.
>
> Anyways that's my technique and it WORKS.
>
> :)
>
> Maya

Giving my cats their own glass was the *only* way that I could get my girls
to drink water. Now they have two glasses. They need to feel important
too.
kili

March 21st 04, 02:59 PM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:17:15 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> wrote:

>While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', scribbled:
>
>>I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
>>don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
>>did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
>>suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
>>through.
>
>You need to change Vets.

reason?

March 21st 04, 02:59 PM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:17:15 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> wrote:

>While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', scribbled:
>
>>I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
>>don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
>>did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
>>suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
>>through.
>
>You need to change Vets.

reason?

March 21st 04, 03:05 PM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:59:36 +0100, "M.C. Mullen"
> wrote:

>| I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
>| don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
>| did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
>| suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
>| through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
>| not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
>| which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
>| complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
>| balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
>| drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
>| dog die from this when I was a kid.
>
>How can such a thing happen?
>Was it a very small dog?
>
>Carola

Actually, she was a very large black lab. We had automatic feeders
and she basically ate herself to death. This was back in the 70's and
the vet said that the combination of overeating and then drinking
water caused her stomach to rupture. I was only 15 at the time and
will admit, my memory of the event may be a little off. But it did
cause us to start adding water to the dry food.
pepsi

March 21st 04, 03:05 PM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:59:36 +0100, "M.C. Mullen"
> wrote:

>| I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
>| don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
>| did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
>| suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
>| through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
>| not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
>| which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
>| complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
>| balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
>| drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
>| dog die from this when I was a kid.
>
>How can such a thing happen?
>Was it a very small dog?
>
>Carola

Actually, she was a very large black lab. We had automatic feeders
and she basically ate herself to death. This was back in the 70's and
the vet said that the combination of overeating and then drinking
water caused her stomach to rupture. I was only 15 at the time and
will admit, my memory of the event may be a little off. But it did
cause us to start adding water to the dry food.
pepsi

March 22nd 04, 05:17 AM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:43:54 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> wrote:

>While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', scribbled:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:17:15 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> wrote:
>>
>>>While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', scribbled:

>>>You need to change Vets.
>
>>reason?
>
>The Vet gave you a ridiculous answer.
>I wouldn't trust anything else he/she said.

Right or wrong, my cat hasn't thrown up since I started an all canned
food diet, so I think that's more important than the credibility of
the vet.
pepsi

March 22nd 04, 05:17 AM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:43:54 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> wrote:

>While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', scribbled:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:17:15 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> wrote:
>>
>>>While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', scribbled:

>>>You need to change Vets.
>
>>reason?
>
>The Vet gave you a ridiculous answer.
>I wouldn't trust anything else he/she said.

Right or wrong, my cat hasn't thrown up since I started an all canned
food diet, so I think that's more important than the credibility of
the vet.
pepsi

panda
April 1st 04, 09:44 PM
wrote in message >...
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:59:36 +0100, "M.C. Mullen"
> > wrote:
>

> >| I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
> >| don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
> >| did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
> >| suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
> >| through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
> >| not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
> >| which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
> >| complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
> >| balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
> >| drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
> >| dog die from this when I was a kid.
> >
> >How can such a thing happen?
> >Was it a very small dog?
> >
> >Carola
> >

> Actually, she was a very large black lab. We had automatic feeders
> and she basically ate herself to death. This was back in the 70's and
> the vet said that the combination of overeating and then drinking
> water caused her stomach to rupture. I was only 15 at the time and
> will admit, my memory of the event may be a little off. But it did
> cause us to start adding water to the dry food.
> pepsi
my cat used to eat dry cat food and she ended up badly dehydrated
she had to stay at vets surgery overnight on a drip so now iv been
told to put a little water in with wet food to make sure he gets
enough water

panda
April 1st 04, 09:44 PM
wrote in message >...
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:59:36 +0100, "M.C. Mullen"
> > wrote:
>

> >| I just had to change my cat's diet due to too much dry food. If they
> >| don't get enough water, they can have digestion problems like my cat
> >| did. He was throwing up his food hours after eating it and my vet
> >| suggested that this was due to not enough liquid for his food to pass
> >| through. I was totally unaware of this being the cause, since he's
> >| not only got access to the toilet inside, but a water bowl outside
> >| which he constantly drinks from while he's watching the apartment
> >| complex. (we're on the 2nd floor, and he never strays from the
> >| balcony). If a cat is a big eater, consuming a lot of dry food, then
> >| drinking water can cause the food to expand in the stomach. We had a
> >| dog die from this when I was a kid.
> >
> >How can such a thing happen?
> >Was it a very small dog?
> >
> >Carola
> >

> Actually, she was a very large black lab. We had automatic feeders
> and she basically ate herself to death. This was back in the 70's and
> the vet said that the combination of overeating and then drinking
> water caused her stomach to rupture. I was only 15 at the time and
> will admit, my memory of the event may be a little off. But it did
> cause us to start adding water to the dry food.
> pepsi
my cat used to eat dry cat food and she ended up badly dehydrated
she had to stay at vets surgery overnight on a drip so now iv been
told to put a little water in with wet food to make sure he gets
enough water

Another
June 8th 04, 02:56 AM
If all else fails, put the water in your favorite tea cup or mug. <G>

George

>> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand.

Another
June 8th 04, 02:56 AM
If all else fails, put the water in your favorite tea cup or mug. <G>

George

>> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand.

Cheryl
June 8th 04, 03:24 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Another
> artfully composed this message within
> on 07 Jun 2004:

> If all else fails, put the water in your favorite tea cup or
> mug. <G>

This works for my cats! I have several coffee cups around the house
with fresh water.

> George
>
>>> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
June 8th 04, 03:24 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Another
> artfully composed this message within
> on 07 Jun 2004:

> If all else fails, put the water in your favorite tea cup or
> mug. <G>

This works for my cats! I have several coffee cups around the house
with fresh water.

> George
>
>>> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand.

--
Cheryl

JPHobbs
June 8th 04, 06:21 AM
My cat Wilson has a plastic beaker in the bathtub
although he has dishes of water all round the house,
he only drinks out of the beaker. Jean.P.

Another > wrote in message
> If all else fails, put the water in your favorite tea cup or mug. <G>
>

> George
>
> >> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand.

Sandy
June 9th 04, 07:46 AM
My cat Sundance likes his water fresh from the faucet -- by the time it gets
into the bowl and onto the floor, it seems to get stale! He likes to lick
water off of my arms after I wash my hands. He also likes it when I fill a
little cup and let him drink from it while still holding it over the sink.
---
Sandy
Do the math to email me directly.
Pix in the Cats album at http://tinyurl.com/3djsq

"Another" > wrote in message
> If all else fails, put the water in your favorite tea cup or mug. <G>
>

> George
>
> >> I gave her her own cup on the nightstand.

KiaSidhe
July 8th 04, 12:36 PM
"panda" > wrote......

> my cat used to eat dry cat food and she ended up badly dehydrated
> she had to stay at vets surgery overnight on a drip so now iv been
> told to put a little water in with wet food to make sure he gets
> enough water

On this same note, has anyone ever tried the *moist* catfood? it looks like
dry food, but it's a little bit wetter. My cat only ate it for about a few
weeks though (until she decided on her own to eat the dry food). But then
again, we only feed her wet food.....we just keep a bowl of the dry food
sitting there in case she gets hungry while we're at work.

---Julia

KiaSidhe
July 8th 04, 12:36 PM
"panda" > wrote......