PDA

View Full Version : running out of cat food choices

KC
March 31st 04, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone

I have three adult cats and they seem to be getting sick of eating the
regular wet brand canned cat food. I don't blame them, its like a big
blob of paste.

I know that they will eat the shredded beef & chicken types- Fancy
Feast offers a shredded chicken but unfortunately I'll go broke
feeding three cats two cans each a day of that stuff (plus they are
such small cans)

Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food that has the shredded meat
flavors so I can stop feeding them paste?

I love my cats but they are so finicky! its so gross seeing this
paste sit around for an hour and get crusty! ugh!

Thank you

Kathryn C

Linda Terrell
March 31st 04, 07:50 PM
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:11:52 UTC, (KC) wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have three adult cats and they seem to be getting sick of eating the
> regular wet brand canned cat food. I don't blame them, its like a big
> blob of paste.
>
> I know that they will eat the shredded beef & chicken types- Fancy
> Feast offers a shredded chicken but unfortunately I'll go broke
> feeding three cats two cans each a day of that stuff (plus they are
> such small cans)
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food that has the shredded meat
> flavors so I can stop feeding them paste?
>
> I love my cats but they are so finicky! its so gross seeing this
> paste sit around for an hour and get crusty! ugh!
>
> Thank you
>
> Kathryn C

Have you tried some dry? Neutro salmon is liked by my kitties.
I mix it with Science Diet and Authority. I couldn't feed my 7
canned food every day. I'd be broke before next payday.

How about rotating wet then dry?

LT

Linda Terrell
March 31st 04, 07:50 PM
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:11:52 UTC, (KC) wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have three adult cats and they seem to be getting sick of eating the
> regular wet brand canned cat food. I don't blame them, its like a big
> blob of paste.
>
> I know that they will eat the shredded beef & chicken types- Fancy
> Feast offers a shredded chicken but unfortunately I'll go broke
> feeding three cats two cans each a day of that stuff (plus they are
> such small cans)
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food that has the shredded meat
> flavors so I can stop feeding them paste?
>
> I love my cats but they are so finicky! its so gross seeing this
> paste sit around for an hour and get crusty! ugh!
>
> Thank you
>
> Kathryn C

Have you tried some dry? Neutro salmon is liked by my kitties.
I mix it with Science Diet and Authority. I couldn't feed my 7
canned food every day. I'd be broke before next payday.

How about rotating wet then dry?

LT

kilikini
March 31st 04, 07:57 PM
"Linda Terrell" > wrote in message
.
net...
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:11:52 UTC, (KC) wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I have three adult cats and they seem to be getting sick of eating the
> > regular wet brand canned cat food. I don't blame them, its like a big
> > blob of paste.
> >
> > I know that they will eat the shredded beef & chicken types- Fancy
> > Feast offers a shredded chicken but unfortunately I'll go broke
> > feeding three cats two cans each a day of that stuff (plus they are
> > such small cans)
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food that has the shredded meat
> > flavors so I can stop feeding them paste?
> >
> > I love my cats but they are so finicky! its so gross seeing this
> > paste sit around for an hour and get crusty! ugh!
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Kathryn C
>

> Have you tried some dry? Neutro salmon is liked by my kitties.
> I mix it with Science Diet and Authority. I couldn't feed my 7
> canned food every day. I'd be broke before next payday.
>
> How about rotating wet then dry?
>
> LT

I was going to suggest the same thing. My cats have gotten so sick of the
tinned wet food as well and I've tried just about all brands and all styles.
The only brand they ever really liked was Friskies, but it has to be the
ground - they won't touch shredded or chunky. Then they stopped eating the
wet food altogether. I WAS leaving dry out for them all day and splitting a
can between each cat every morning and night, but I was tossing out more
food than they were consuming so I just stopped feeding them the wet. Now
as a treat I'll give them a can of wet food every three to four days and it
gets devoured. It saved my pocketbook, saved my sanity, it helps to starve
the ant colonies living in my house AND the cats are still fat and happy.

kili

kilikini
March 31st 04, 07:57 PM
"Linda Terrell" > wrote in message
.
net...
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:11:52 UTC, (KC) wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I have three adult cats and they seem to be getting sick of eating the
> > regular wet brand canned cat food. I don't blame them, its like a big
> > blob of paste.
> >
> > I know that they will eat the shredded beef & chicken types- Fancy
> > Feast offers a shredded chicken but unfortunately I'll go broke
> > feeding three cats two cans each a day of that stuff (plus they are
> > such small cans)
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food that has the shredded meat
> > flavors so I can stop feeding them paste?
> >
> > I love my cats but they are so finicky! its so gross seeing this
> > paste sit around for an hour and get crusty! ugh!
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Kathryn C
>

> Have you tried some dry? Neutro salmon is liked by my kitties.
> I mix it with Science Diet and Authority. I couldn't feed my 7
> canned food every day. I'd be broke before next payday.
>
> How about rotating wet then dry?
>
> LT

I was going to suggest the same thing. My cats have gotten so sick of the
tinned wet food as well and I've tried just about all brands and all styles.
The only brand they ever really liked was Friskies, but it has to be the
ground - they won't touch shredded or chunky. Then they stopped eating the
wet food altogether. I WAS leaving dry out for them all day and splitting a
can between each cat every morning and night, but I was tossing out more
food than they were consuming so I just stopped feeding them the wet. Now
as a treat I'll give them a can of wet food every three to four days and it
gets devoured. It saved my pocketbook, saved my sanity, it helps to starve
the ant colonies living in my house AND the cats are still fat and happy.

kili

Ted Davis
March 31st 04, 10:48 PM
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:57:30 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Linda Terrell" > wrote in message
.
>net...
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:11:52 UTC, (KC) wrote:
>>
>> > Hi everyone
>> >
>> > I have three adult cats and they seem to be getting sick of eating the
>> > regular wet brand canned cat food. I don't blame them, its like a big
>> > blob of paste.
>> >
>> > I know that they will eat the shredded beef & chicken types- Fancy
>> > Feast offers a shredded chicken but unfortunately I'll go broke
>> > feeding three cats two cans each a day of that stuff (plus they are
>> > such small cans)
>> >
>> > Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food that has the shredded meat
>> > flavors so I can stop feeding them paste?
>> >
>> > I love my cats but they are so finicky! its so gross seeing this
>> > paste sit around for an hour and get crusty! ugh!
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Kathryn C
>>

>> Have you tried some dry? Neutro salmon is liked by my kitties.
>> I mix it with Science Diet and Authority. I couldn't feed my 7
>> canned food every day. I'd be broke before next payday.
>>
>> How about rotating wet then dry?
>>
>> LT
>
>I was going to suggest the same thing. My cats have gotten so sick of the
>tinned wet food as well and I've tried just about all brands and all styles.
>The only brand they ever really liked was Friskies, but it has to be the
>ground - they won't touch shredded or chunky. Then they stopped eating the
>wet food altogether. I WAS leaving dry out for them all day and splitting a
>can between each cat every morning and night, but I was tossing out more
>food than they were consuming so I just stopped feeding them the wet. Now
>as a treat I'll give them a can of wet food every three to four days and it
>gets devoured. It saved my pocketbook, saved my sanity, it helps to starve
>the ant colonies living in my house AND the cats are still fat and happy.

I have a dozen cats - they like the two Walmart house brands (Special
Kitty - two flavors) of dry food. I rotate them: 20 pounds of one
then twenty pounds of the other. Like you, I give canned food every
few days as a treat, but not all the cats are even interested,
especially now that hunting season has returned (mostly frogs at the
moment, but a couple of the cats are eating little else). I also give
them a bowl of half milk - half cream most days (most of the cats love
it and it doesn't give them the runs like plain milk often does).
Only two are obese, and they were that way when I took them in - two
or three are perhaps a bit heavy for their sizes, but about the same
number are under weight but healthy.

Spooky finally - after about eleven years - started putting on a bit
of weight, enough that I have taken him out of the skinny category.

T.E.D. )

> [...]

I have a dozen cats - they like the two Walmart house brands (Special
Kitty - two flavors) of dry food. I rotate them: 20 pounds of one
then twenty pounds of the other. Like you, I give canned food every
few days as a treat, but not all the cats are even interested,
especially now that hunting season has returned (mostly frogs at the
moment, but a couple of the cats are eating little else). I also give
them a bowl of half milk - half cream most days (most of the cats love
it and it doesn't give them the runs like plain milk often does).
Only two are obese, and they were that way when I took them in - two
or three are perhaps a bit heavy for their sizes, but about the same
number are under weight but healthy.

Spooky finally - after about eleven years - started putting on a bit
of weight, enough that I have taken him out of the skinny category.

Fat Freddy
April 2nd 04, 03:00 PM
My three cats have a bowl of Chicken Soup and a bowl of Nutro Natural
Choice always availiable. They also get a can of Purina Pro Plan each
twice a day and sometimes three times a day if they beg hard enoough.
It gets kind of expensive. The canned food alone costs about $100.00 a
month, but it's the only kind they will eat other than Fancy Feast
which isn't as good and costs nearly the same.

Fat Freddy
April 2nd 04, 03:00 PM
My three cats have a bowl of Chicken Soup and a bowl of Nutro Natural
Choice always availiable. They also get a can of Purina Pro Plan each
twice a day and sometimes three times a day if they beg hard enoough.
It gets kind of expensive. The canned food alone costs about $100.00 a
month, but it's the only kind they will eat other than Fancy Feast
which isn't as good and costs nearly the same.

KC
April 6th 04, 05:20 PM
Thank you for the advice everyone

I've tried the dry food (Deli Cat, Friskies Senior, Whiskas) and they
do pick at it but they won't eat it as a full meal. So finicky!!!

Right now they seem to be eating Friskies shredded chicken -wet can
but who knows how long this will last! :-)

Cheers,

KC

KC
April 6th 04, 05:20 PM
Thank you for the advice everyone

I've tried the dry food (Deli Cat, Friskies Senior, Whiskas) and they
do pick at it but they won't eat it as a full meal. So finicky!!!

Right now they seem to be eating Friskies shredded chicken -wet can
but who knows how long this will last! :-)

Cheers,

KC

kilikini
April 7th 04, 01:53 AM
"KC" > wrote in message
om...
> Thank you for the advice everyone
>
> I've tried the dry food (Deli Cat, Friskies Senior, Whiskas) and they
> do pick at it but they won't eat it as a full meal. So finicky!!!
>
> Right now they seem to be eating Friskies shredded chicken -wet can
> but who knows how long this will last! :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> KC

Don't feed it to them every day or they won't eat it!
kili

kilikini
April 7th 04, 01:53 AM
"KC" > wrote in message
om...
> Thank you for the advice everyone
>
> I've tried the dry food (Deli Cat, Friskies Senior, Whiskas) and they
> do pick at it but they won't eat it as a full meal. So finicky!!!
>
> Right now they seem to be eating Friskies shredded chicken -wet can
> but who knows how long this will last! :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> KC

Don't feed it to them every day or they won't eat it!
kili

metromax
April 20th 04, 08:33 PM
At the cost of canned food fed this often you could be feeding them real
chicken which is better for them...

How about a quality dry cat food such as Eukanuba? Might take a while to
get them used to it, but it's worth it.