PDA

View Full Version : My Cats, the Cattery and the Guilt!!!

Gary
April 1st 04, 05:32 PM
Hi all,

I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible for
putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).

I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do they
still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
the guilt!)

Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).

Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!

Ta Claire :S

(on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Karen
April 1st 04, 05:36 PM
Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine get.
It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.

Karen

"Gary" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
> holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
> have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
> putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
>
> I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
> still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
> the guilt!)
>
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
>
> Ta Claire :S
>
> (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Gary
April 1st 04, 05:38 PM
Thanks! Hopefully they will not be in a bad mood with me! I would
personally prefer the clingy option!

Claire

"Karen" > wrote in message
> Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine
get.
> It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
> shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.
>
> Karen
>
> "Gary" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away
on
> > holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery.
> > have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
> for
> > putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
> >
> > I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
> they
> > still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but
oohhh
> > the guilt!)
> >
> > Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> > asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
> >
> > Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going
on
> > 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
> >
> > Ta Claire :S
> >
> > (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

kilikini
April 1st 04, 06:02 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine
get.
> It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
> shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.
>
> Karen

(snip)

Mine always give me the cold shoulder if I leave them for a couple of days.
They get real "****y" and it takes a day or so for them to come crawling
into my lap again. They always do, tho!

kili

kilikini
April 1st 04, 06:02 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine
get.
> It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
> shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.
>
> Karen

(snip)

Mine always give me the cold shoulder if I leave them for a couple of days.
They get real "****y" and it takes a day or so for them to come crawling
into my lap again. They always do, tho!

kili

Ivor Jones
April 1st 04, 07:23 PM
"Gary" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away
on
> holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery.
> have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
> putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
>
> I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
> still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but
oohhh
> the guilt!)
>
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going
on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
>
> Ta Claire :S
>
> (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

I'll be going away for a week in September, and it will be the first time
since I've had her (around 18 months) that I will have left Missy for
anything over one night. She's a very loving cat and demands lots of
attention, she really missed me when I was away overnight once.

My mother will hopefully be looking after her while I'm away, but I too am
concerned she will miss me while I'm not here and what her reaction will
be when I come home.

Please post here after you return and tell us how things went :-)

Ivor

BTW you're not daft for being too attached, I love my Missy more than
anything and I'm also really feeling terrible about leaving her, but I
really need a holiday as I haven't had one for 2 years..!

Ivor Jones
April 1st 04, 07:23 PM
"Gary" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away
on
> holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery.
> have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
> putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
>
> I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
> still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but
oohhh
> the guilt!)
>
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going
on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
>
> Ta Claire :S
>
> (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

I'll be going away for a week in September, and it will be the first time
since I've had her (around 18 months) that I will have left Missy for
anything over one night. She's a very loving cat and demands lots of
attention, she really missed me when I was away overnight once.

My mother will hopefully be looking after her while I'm away, but I too am
concerned she will miss me while I'm not here and what her reaction will
be when I come home.

Please post here after you return and tell us how things went :-)

Ivor

BTW you're not daft for being too attached, I love my Missy more than
anything and I'm also really feeling terrible about leaving her, but I
really need a holiday as I haven't had one for 2 years..!

Hailey
April 1st 04, 10:20 PM
Hi Claire :)

I don't think it's any big deal at ALL that you leave them in a good
cattery, well cared for. I was thinking of taking at least one of ours to a
similar thing we have here, friends use this lady and she actually only
takes a certain # of kitties at any given time, they all have their own
cages, except for multiple kitties in a household. But she also gets to know
them day one and then lets them roam her house from then on, if she's able.

We do not take the boys camping with us on the reunion campouts, so that
means twice a year they have to stay at home, alone (well, with each other)
and someone comes in to feed and play with them twice a day. Not a lot, I
know, but they also have each other.
It's usually 4-5 days each time and when we get home Tucker (mine) is *very*
****y. And not just mad ****y LOL He has shown his displeasure by peeing on
the futon. It's not as bad as it sounds, however, because the first time he
did it (he's done it a total of three times now) he peed on a pillow on the
futon and we do have a cover on the futon, some pee got on it. All in all it
was no biggie. the pillow was ruined, the cover can be washed. I now put a
45 gallon garbage bag, cut open completely, under the cover and twice he
peed on that. Not for a good long time, though.
James is a darling and never gets mad, just clingy and lovey.
I guess all cats act out in different ways, just like their people do!
Hailey

> [...]

> holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
> have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
> putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
>
> I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
> still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
> the guilt!)
>
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
>
> Ta Claire :S
>
> (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Xmar
April 2nd 04, 12:30 AM
Some do ok..others dont...My sister's cat stopped eating to the point
she had to be at hospitalised due to de-hydration.

Alternatives to bring them to a strange place is see if you have a
friend, family member, neighbor or neighbor kid you feel comfortable
with who can stop in and check in on them daily..

Also see if you have pet sitters in your area...

Since they have each other, they wont get lonely by remaining
home...taking them to a strange place would be far more stressful for
them possibly...

But then some cats do fine being borded...

Gary wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
> holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
> have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible for
> putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
>
> I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do they
> still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
> the guilt!)
>
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
>
> Ta Claire :S
>
> (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Wendy
April 2nd 04, 01:04 AM
"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Karen" > wrote in message
> > Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine
> get.
> > It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
> > shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.
> >
> > Karen
> >

> (snip)
>
> Mine always give me the cold shoulder if I leave them for a couple of
days.
> They get real "****y" and it takes a day or so for them to come crawling
> into my lap again. They always do, tho!
>
> kili

Tigger was always that way when we left her (and Ralf) home with a sitter.
She wouldn't even look at me for a day and then the next day things were
back to normal.

Wendy
April 2nd 04, 01:04 AM
"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Karen" > wrote in message
> > Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine
> get.
> > It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
> > shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.
> >
> > Karen
> >

> (snip)
>
> Mine always give me the cold shoulder if I leave them for a couple of
days.
> They get real "****y" and it takes a day or so for them to come crawling
> into my lap again. They always do, tho!
>
> kili

Tigger was always that way when we left her (and Ralf) home with a sitter.
She wouldn't even look at me for a day and then the next day things were
back to normal.

Antagonist
April 2nd 04, 01:19 AM
Make sure you choose a good place with knowledgeable staff. Her comfort
during her stay will be reflected.

"Xmar" > wrote in message
> Some do ok..others dont...My sister's cat stopped eating to the point
> she had to be at hospitalised due to de-hydration.
>

> Alternatives to bring them to a strange place is see if you have a
> friend, family member, neighbor or neighbor kid you feel comfortable
> with who can stop in and check in on them daily..
>
> Also see if you have pet sitters in your area...
>
> Since they have each other, they wont get lonely by remaining
> home...taking them to a strange place would be far more stressful for
> them possibly...
>
> But then some cats do fine being borded...
>
> Gary wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away
on
> > holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery.
> > have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
> > putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
> >
> > I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
> > still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but
oohhh
> > the guilt!)
> >
> > Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> > asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
> >
> > Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going
on
> > 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
> >
> > Ta Claire :S
> >
> > (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Diana
April 2nd 04, 01:21 AM
Xmar at wrote on4/1/04 6:30 PM:

> Some do ok..others dont...My sister's cat stopped eating to the point
> she had to be at hospitalised due to de-hydration.
>

> Alternatives to bring them to a strange place is see if you have a
> friend, family member, neighbor or neighbor kid you feel comfortable
> with who can stop in and check in on them daily..
>
> Also see if you have pet sitters in your area...
>
> Since they have each other, they wont get lonely by remaining
> home...taking them to a strange place would be far more stressful for
> them possibly...
>
> But then some cats do fine being borded...

I agree. Some cats, whether by nature or nurture, are easy going and
adaptable: they travel well, they adjust to moves well, etc. The *typical*
cat is adamantly opposed to any forced change in its environment. Many cats
would rather stay in their own home even if their people moved away and they
had to adjust to new people! I don't mean that they wouldn't miss their
people, only that their attachment to their territory is more primal. I
personally would not board my cats unless I had no alternative. I always
have someone in to see to their needs when I'm away.
--
Diana

Portal To My Pages
http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/r/drdrive/

Diana
April 2nd 04, 01:21 AM
Xmar at wrote on4/1/04 6:30 PM:

> Some do ok..others dont...My sister's cat stopped eating to the point
> she had to be at hospitalised due to de-hydration.
>

> Alternatives to bring them to a strange place is see if you have a
> friend, family member, neighbor or neighbor kid you feel comfortable
> with who can stop in and check in on them daily..
>
> Also see if you have pet sitters in your area...
>
> Since they have each other, they wont get lonely by remaining
> home...taking them to a strange place would be far more stressful for
> them possibly...
>
> But then some cats do fine being borded...

I agree. Some cats, whether by nature or nurture, are easy going and
adaptable: they travel well, they adjust to moves well, etc. The *typical*
cat is adamantly opposed to any forced change in its environment. Many cats
would rather stay in their own home even if their people moved away and they
had to adjust to new people! I don't mean that they wouldn't miss their
people, only that their attachment to their territory is more primal. I
personally would not board my cats unless I had no alternative. I always
have someone in to see to their needs when I'm away.
--
Diana

Portal To My Pages
http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/r/drdrive/

rangitotogirl
April 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!

My cat was different for a little while after going to a cattery. For the
first 48 hours after she got home she would wander around the house and meow
lots. Sometimes she was very cuddly and affectionate. Other times she was
quite aloof.

I stopped putting her in a cattery several years back when she lost
condition. We had put three cats in and while the other two were okay,
Mindy was miserable. She hissed at the owners and wouldn't let them near
her and looked like she had spent the time pining away.

From then on I left her at home with plenty of food and water and with
someone to keep an eye on her. She was much happier in her own environment.

I was in a real bind before Christmas when we were planning our holiday.
Her health deteriorated in November and I knew there was no way I could
leave her at home. I was also concerned that putting her in a cattery would
finish her off. We booked her into a cattery in the same town as we were
going on holiday as she was a great traveller and it would allow us to make
frequent visits. As her health declined I seriously considered cancelling
the trip. Mindy's health deteriorated to the point that she stopped eating
just a few days before hand and as she had no reserves left I really had no
option but to have her put down so I never had to make the final decision
about the cattery.

I think most cats respond differently. On our next trip we're taking Tigga
back to the breeder who also has a small Bengal cattery. He's too young and
unpredictable to leave at home. Caspa will stay behind with her food and
water and someone to watch out for her. Tigga demands company, Caspa
couldn't care. She's a very independent cat who would much rather spend 90%
of the time outside even though she has full access to the great indoors.
She really gives the impression she couldn't care whether we were around or
not. Given her nature the cattery environment wouldn't really work for
her.

rangitotogirl
April 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!

My cat was different for a little while after going to a cattery. For the
first 48 hours after she got home she would wander around the house and meow
lots. Sometimes she was very cuddly and affectionate. Other times she was
quite aloof.

I stopped putting her in a cattery several years back when she lost
condition. We had put three cats in and while the other two were okay,
Mindy was miserable. She hissed at the owners and wouldn't let them near
her and looked like she had spent the time pining away.

From then on I left her at home with plenty of food and water and with
[...]

M.C. Mullen
April 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
"Gary" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Hi all,
|
| I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
| holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
| have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
| putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
|
| I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
| still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
| the guilt!)
|
| Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
| asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
|
| Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
| 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
|
| Ta Claire :S
|
| (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Don't worry - they will not only be all right but well looked after and
safe.
And yes, they will know you and probably even like you more afterwards
because they think you've come to their rescue.
Toms worst time in the cattery was the ride in the car there and back. He
absolutely hated it.

Carola

M.C. Mullen
April 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
"Gary" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Hi all,
|
| I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
| holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
| have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
| putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
|
| I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
| still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
| the guilt!)
|
| Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
| asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
|
| Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
| 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
|
| Ta Claire :S
|
| (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Don't worry - they will not only be all right but well looked after and
safe.
And yes, they will know you and probably even like you more afterwards
because they think you've come to their rescue.
Toms worst time in the cattery was the ride in the car there and back. He
absolutely hated it.

Carola

youKnowme
April 2nd 04, 03:49 PM
You should be throughly ashamed of yourself.

(only joking, of course)

.....but make sure the place you are putting your cats is sound. Ask
yourself, "would i want to stay here myself?"

"Gary" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
> holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
> have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible
for
> putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).
>
> I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do
they
> still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
> the guilt!)
>
> Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
> asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).
>
> Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
> 'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!
>
> Ta Claire :S
>
> (on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Victor Martinez
April 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
When we go on vacation we have a pet sitter come to the house twice a
day. She feeds the cats, plays with them, and cleans the boxes. She also
puts the mail and newspapers in and takes the garbage out.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam here:

Victor Martinez
April 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
When we go on vacation we have a pet sitter come to the house twice a
day. She feeds the cats, plays with them, and cleans the boxes. She also
puts the mail and newspapers in and takes the garbage out.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam here:
Email me here:

Ivor Jones
April 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
"youKnowme" > wrote in message
> You should be throughly ashamed of yourself.
>
> (only joking, of course)
>
> ....but make sure the place you are putting your cats is sound. Ask
> yourself, "would i want to stay here myself?"

At the shelter I volunteer at, the answer is *definitely* ..! Warm, well
fed, plenty of fuss from the visitors, I'd move in tomorrow..!

Meow..!

Ivor

Ivor Jones
April 2nd 04, 08:40 PM