PDA

View Full Version : vets take advantage of grief

jesseH
April 4th 04, 09:34 PM
In two cases, 4 months apart, two different vets: both estimated or said
about $400 to examine, perform blood work, x-rays and to keep cat until
morning.
When cat was picked up, both vest presented bills for $1200. The 1st one
gave in little and was vary arrogant with weak justification, the 2nd vet,
after my complaint, reduced the bill to $440.
It is my conclusion, that a business practice of vets is to lure customer
in, then prey on their emotions to milk the maximum cash.
The cases above do not include the additional vet highly recommended
treatments, like blood transfusion, daily dialysis etc. which were highly
beyond our means.

I feel the vet industry is ripe for some sort of control as we have seen in
the human medical industry and maybe a better and more appropriate example
is the rules and conditions mortuaries now have to operate under. That
business in the past, like vets today, manipulated and influenced those who
were in grief, feigning shock that you wouldn't want to have the best money
can buy for your loved ones.

I am left with an extremely fowl taste of the vet industry and I hope
someday reforms as seen by mortuary and medical industry can become more
prevalent from state to state for vetinary. It is shameful and disgusting
the way vets feed on human emotion to line their pockets.

AK
April 5th 04, 03:26 PM
"jesseH" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In two cases, 4 months apart, two different vets: both estimated or said
> about $400 to examine, perform blood work, x-rays and to keep cat until
> morning.
> When cat was picked up, both vest presented bills for $1200. The 1st one
> gave in little and was vary arrogant with weak justification, the 2nd vet,
> after my complaint, reduced the bill to $440.
> It is my conclusion, that a business practice of vets is to lure customer
> in, then prey on their emotions to milk the maximum cash.
> The cases above do not include the additional vet highly recommended
> treatments, like blood transfusion, daily dialysis etc. which were highly
> beyond our means.
>
> I feel the vet industry is ripe for some sort of control as we have seen
in
> the human medical industry and maybe a better and more appropriate example
> is the rules and conditions mortuaries now have to operate under. That
> business in the past, like vets today, manipulated and influenced those
who
> were in grief, feigning shock that you wouldn't want to have the best
money
> can buy for your loved ones.
>
> I am left with an extremely fowl taste of the vet industry and I hope
> someday reforms as seen by mortuary and medical industry can become more
> prevalent from state to state for vetinary. It is shameful and disgusting
> the way vets feed on human emotion to line their pockets.

Unfortunately you really do get ripped off in the USA. My cat had an
accident last year, needed a drip, blood tests, antibiotics, painkillers etc
and he was in kept in for 4 nights. The cost was £96 which is about $180!!
Vaccinations cost around £28 ($50) a year , we don't have rabies so no shots
for that, and we don't have some of the parasites that you do so just twice
yearly worming at about £10 a year and that's it.

AK
April 5th 04, 03:26 PM
"jesseH" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In two cases, 4 months apart, two different vets: both estimated or said
> about $400 to examine, perform blood work, x-rays and to keep cat until
> morning.
> When cat was picked up, both vest presented bills for $1200. The 1st one
> gave in little and was vary arrogant with weak justification, the 2nd vet,
> after my complaint, reduced the bill to $440.
> It is my conclusion, that a business practice of vets is to lure customer
> in, then prey on their emotions to milk the maximum cash.
> The cases above do not include the additional vet highly recommended
> treatments, like blood transfusion, daily dialysis etc. which were highly
> beyond our means.
>
> I feel the vet industry is ripe for some sort of control as we have seen
in
> the human medical industry and maybe a better and more appropriate example
> is the rules and conditions mortuaries now have to operate under. That
> business in the past, like vets today, manipulated and influenced those
who
> were in grief, feigning shock that you wouldn't want to have the best
money
> can buy for your loved ones.
>
> I am left with an extremely fowl taste of the vet industry and I hope
> someday reforms as seen by mortuary and medical industry can become more
> prevalent from state to state for vetinary. It is shameful and disgusting
> the way vets feed on human emotion to line their pockets.

Unfortunately you really do get ripped off in the USA. My cat had an
accident last year, needed a drip, blood tests, antibiotics, painkillers etc
and he was in kept in for 4 nights. The cost was £96 which is about $180!!
Vaccinations cost around £28 ($50) a year , we don't have rabies so no shots
for that, and we don't have some of the parasites that you do so just twice
yearly worming at about £10 a year and that's it.

GovtLawyer
April 6th 04, 06:17 PM
<snip>

I've had similar experiences with vets. I hate to have to make life and death
decisions based on money, but it does sometimes play into the calculations.
The last vet I had, had gone through much of my funds in diagnosing and
treating my Maxie, to no avail. I paid him every single dollar, on the day of
the treatments; albeit, with some bitching and haggling. On the day I
euthanized Maxie, I was in the treatment room with him and my brother saying a
very tearful and heartbroken goodbye to my friend and companion of 17 years.
The vet sent in his assistant to ask me for my credit card, at that moment.

Needless to say I have found a new vet and will never go back to that
sonofabitch. The nerve of him. The funny thing is, he was a very skilled vet.

GovtLawyer
April 6th 04, 06:17 PM
<snip>

I've had similar experiences with vets. I hate to have to make life and death
decisions based on money, but it does sometimes play into the calculations.
The last vet I had, had gone through much of my funds in diagnosing and
treating my Maxie, to no avail. I paid him every single dollar, on the day of
the treatments; albeit, with some bitching and haggling. On the day I
euthanized Maxie, I was in the treatment room with him and my brother saying a
very tearful and heartbroken goodbye to my friend and companion of 17 years.
The vet sent in his assistant to ask me for my credit card, at that moment.

Needless to say I have found a new vet and will never go back to that
sonofabitch. The nerve of him. The funny thing is, he was a very skilled vet.

Penelope Baker
April 8th 04, 04:17 AM
Same thing happened to me. It didn't bother me so much, business is
business, but it seemed quite tactless.

--
Peace,
Pen