PDA

View Full Version : two cats is better?

trents32
April 7th 04, 03:52 PM
We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
Is there an issue getting two cats?
Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are nuetered
and spayed?
We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
thought 2 cats would be good.

Thank you for any thoughts

kilikini
April 7th 04, 07:50 PM
"trents32" > wrote in message
> We are considering getting a cat.
> Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
> Is there an issue getting two cats?
> Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are
nuetered
> and spayed?
> We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
> thought 2 cats would be good.
>
> Thank you for any thoughts

I'd say go for the two cats, but make sure you get them at the same age,
preferably young! Introducing a younger and older or oftern two older ones
can mean that they will never be buddies. But, yeah, go for two. If you
get kittens, just be prepared to clean up two messes - and I don't mean in a
litter box! With kittens, things can get out of hand fairly quickly!

kili

kilikini
April 7th 04, 07:50 PM
"trents32" > wrote in message
> We are considering getting a cat.
> Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
> Is there an issue getting two cats?
> Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are
nuetered
> and spayed?
> We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
> thought 2 cats would be good.
>
> Thank you for any thoughts

I'd say go for the two cats, but make sure you get them at the same age,
preferably young! Introducing a younger and older or oftern two older ones
can mean that they will never be buddies. But, yeah, go for two. If you
get kittens, just be prepared to clean up two messes - and I don't mean in a
litter box! With kittens, things can get out of hand fairly quickly!

kili

Kalyahna
April 11th 04, 04:27 AM
"Cory" > wrote in message
> Even if the ages are similar, there still may be some
> dominance issues for the cats to work out (and LET THEM WORK IT OUT...
> otherwise, if you keep refereeing them during the adjustment period,
> the issue of who's the alpha cat will never get settled once and for
> all... which'll just drag things out even longer).

However, the cats should still be properly and slowly introduced to each
other, if they're not a bonded pair. Tossing two strange cats together and
hoping for the best might occasionally work out, but more often it's going
to cause the serious dominance issues you can prevent with a proper
introduction period.

> > Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are
nuetered
> > and spayed?
>
> IMHO, not really. OTOH, people have said that 2 males will tend to
> want to be alpha cat more than two females or a mix of a male and a
> female. 2 male cats CAN get along, mind you. My parents have 2 male
> cats that get along wonderfully, one is probably 5 years older than the
> other, so there are exceptions to the rule, of course.

Actually, from what I've seen, it's usually the females that are snarky and
crabby and difficult about the whole new-cat thing. I work for a humane
society, and from all the cats we've had in the time I've worked here, I
don't think I've seen any female as social as a lot of the males... but I've
never seen a female as adamantly cat aggressive (redirective toward people,
vocal -screaming- at the sight of another cat and sometimes just the scent
of another cat sets them off) as a half dozen males I can think of.

Kalyahna
April 11th 04, 04:27 AM