PDA

View Full Version : Cats alone... how long?

Ablang
April 14th 04, 01:48 AM
I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

--
"All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner."
-- Red Skelton

Tim May
April 14th 04, 02:41 AM
In article >, Ablang
> wrote:

> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

I left two cats alone for 8 days.

I left two large bowls of food, three large bowls of water (in case
they somehow spilled one of them). And I left the toilet seats up...

Two litter boxes.

When I got home, it was as if I had never left.

--Tim May

Tim May
April 14th 04, 02:41 AM
In article >, Ablang
> wrote:

> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

I left two cats alone for 8 days.

I left two large bowls of food, three large bowls of water (in case
they somehow spilled one of them). And I left the toilet seats up...

Two litter boxes.

When I got home, it was as if I had never left.

--Tim May

Laura R.
April 14th 04, 03:14 AM
circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), in rec.pets.cats, Ablang
) said,

> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I don't. I get a catsitter.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Laura R.
April 14th 04, 03:14 AM
circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), in rec.pets.cats, Ablang
) said,

> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I don't. I get a catsitter.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

MaryL
April 14th 04, 04:24 AM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
> --

I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask instead of the one you
asked -- that is, how long *should* a cat be left alone (or - how long is it
*safe* to leave a cat alone)?

In my opinion, cats should not be left alone for more than one night. I
realize that many cats have been left alone for much longer without any
problems. However, think of what *could* happen during your absence ... all
the accidents and illnesses that could occur without any prior warning. I
consider what Tim May described to be irresponsible. If you are going to be
gone more than one night, please make arrangements for someone to check on
your cats. This could be a professional pet sitter or a reliable friend,
but it is important to have someone available to take your cats to a vet if
an emergency occurs and to provide care and attention in your absence.

MaryL

MaryL
April 14th 04, 04:24 AM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
> --

I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask instead of the one you
asked -- that is, how long *should* a cat be left alone (or - how long is it
*safe* to leave a cat alone)?

In my opinion, cats should not be left alone for more than one night. I
realize that many cats have been left alone for much longer without any
problems. However, think of what *could* happen during your absence ... all
the accidents and illnesses that could occur without any prior warning. I
consider what Tim May described to be irresponsible. If you are going to be
gone more than one night, please make arrangements for someone to check on
your cats. This could be a professional pet sitter or a reliable friend,
but it is important to have someone available to take your cats to a vet if
an emergency occurs and to provide care and attention in your absence.

MaryL

Sandy
April 14th 04, 05:21 AM
> I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask instead of the one you
> asked -- that is, how long *should* a cat be left alone (or - how long is
it
> *safe* to leave a cat alone)?
>
> In my opinion, cats should not be left alone for more than one night. I
> realize that many cats have been left alone for much longer without any
> problems. However, think of what *could* happen during your absence ...
all
> the accidents and illnesses that could occur without any prior warning. I
> consider what Tim May described to be irresponsible. If you are going to
be
> gone more than one night, please make arrangements for someone to check on
> your cats. This could be a professional pet sitter or a reliable friend,
> but it is important to have someone available to take your cats to a vet
if
> an emergency occurs and to provide care and attention in your absence.
>
> MaryL

I have to agree. I've always had someone come in at least once a day to
check on the cats and take care of other things at the same time (bringing
in mail, watering plants, whatever), and the most important thing, even
before feeding and watering, was to find the cats and make sure they were
OK. Until recently I was paying my niece and nephews to do that for me, but
they've been fired for dereliction of duty the last time I was away... but
that's another story.

Sandy
--
Do the math.

Sandy
April 14th 04, 05:21 AM
> I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask instead of the one you
> asked -- that is, how long *should* a cat be left alone (or - how long is
it
> *safe* to leave a cat alone)?
>
> In my opinion, cats should not be left alone for more than one night. I
> realize that many cats have been left alone for much longer without any
> problems. However, think of what *could* happen during your absence ...
all
> the accidents and illnesses that could occur without any prior warning. I
> consider what Tim May described to be irresponsible. If you are going to
be
> gone more than one night, please make arrangements for someone to check on
> your cats. This could be a professional pet sitter or a reliable friend,
> but it is important to have someone available to take your cats to a vet
if
> an emergency occurs and to provide care and attention in your absence.
>
> MaryL

I have to agree. I've always had someone come in at least once a day to
check on the cats and take care of other things at the same time (bringing
in mail, watering plants, whatever), and the most important thing, even
before feeding and watering, was to find the cats and make sure they were
OK. Until recently I was paying my niece and nephews to do that for me, but
they've been fired for dereliction of duty the last time I was away... but
that's another story.

Sandy
--
Do the math.

April 14th 04, 05:37 AM
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:24:15 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"Ablang" > wrote in message
>> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>>
>> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I live in a small apartment and left my cat for 4 1/2 days once when I
went on a trip and couldn't find anyone to take him. I had my niece
(I don't know my neighbors and wouldn't trust any of them with my key)
come over once to clean his box and make sure he had enough food.
That was when he was eating unlimited dry, so I left about 3
containers of food for him. I have to say, I worried about him the
whole time I was gone and thought about him the whole way home. Now
that he is eating only canned, I would never leave him without having
someone come by and feed him daily for me. I put all his toys out for
him and left the heat at 65. It was March, but I live in Oregon,
where it rains a lot and our weather is pretty unpredictable. I also
left the light on in the kitchen. You have to know my cat, but when I
got home, he was as happy to see me as a puppy would be. He never
sulks or acts mad at me like I've heard some cats do.
I have also boarded my cat at a vet and that works well, too, but
people can't always afford to do that.
I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
to have someone check on it for you. Irresponsible would be to leave
a cat outside or leave it to totally fend for itself inside and ration
it's own food and water. They are our pets, they are our children,
but they aren't human and they don't need 24 hour human interaction to
survive.
pepsi

-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"Ablang" > wrote in message
>> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>>
>> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I live in a small apartment and left my cat for 4 1/2 days once when I
went on a trip and couldn't find anyone to take him. I had my niece
(I don't know my neighbors and wouldn't trust any of them with my key)
come over once to clean his box and make sure he had enough food.
That was when he was eating unlimited dry, so I left about 3
containers of food for him. I have to say, I worried about him the
whole time I was gone and thought about him the whole way home. Now
that he is eating only canned, I would never leave him without having
someone come by and feed him daily for me. I put all his toys out for
him and left the heat at 65. It was March, but I live in Oregon,
where it rains a lot and our weather is pretty unpredictable. I also
left the light on in the kitchen. You have to know my cat, but when I
got home, he was as happy to see me as a puppy would be. He never
sulks or acts mad at me like I've heard some cats do.
I have also boarded my cat at a vet and that works well, too, but
people can't always afford to do that.
I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
to have someone check on it for you. Irresponsible would be to leave
a cat outside or leave it to totally fend for itself inside and ration
it's own food and water. They are our pets, they are our children,
but they aren't human and they don't need 24 hour human interaction to
survive.
pepsi

Tracy
April 14th 04, 06:47 AM
Two nights i.e. a weekend. More than that, then the petsitter comes.

Tracy
April 14th 04, 06:47 AM
Two nights i.e. a weekend. More than that, then the petsitter comes.

Gee
April 14th 04, 06:48 AM
"Tim May" > wrote in message
> In article >, Ablang
> > wrote:
>
> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s)
alone
> > when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> > (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> I left two cats alone for 8 days.

Tim, surely you have some neighbours who could pop in and give your cats
some attention at least every couple of days, then you can return the favor
as and when they need it. 8 days is really too dangerous to leave them
alone. What if there was a gas leak, or flood, or break in, or one of them
accidently got hurt badly/something fall on them, or they run out of food or
I dunno, just simply flat runs out of Oxygen. As soon as I moved in here, I
befriended all neighbours with cats and dogs, and ever since I not only have
help in looking after them when we go away, but also have new friends as
well. It's amazing how easily cat/dog people bond.

> I left two large bowls of food, three large bowls of water (in case
> they somehow spilled one of them). And I left the toilet seats up...

Well, I never leave mine more then office hours alone, but still, I always
leave the tap dripping in the bath tab, so they always have fresh water to
drink. They(cats) discovered this system actually not me :)

> Two litter boxes.

You were lucky your cats were not too fassed. My Shadow will not go in the
litter tray if there is more then 2 poos in there. She will instead show her
UNappreciation by going on to my bed!

> When I got home, it was as if I had never left.

I really think you were quite lucky this time. As wonderfull as your cats
are, and as much effort you make, there are things that could happen beyond
our control. Please reconsider some basic supervision next time.

> --Tim May

Gee
April 14th 04, 06:48 AM
"Tim May" > wrote in message
> In article >, Ablang
> > wrote:
>
> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s)
alone
> > when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> > (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> I left two cats alone for 8 days.

Tim, surely you have some neighbours who could pop in and give your cats
some attention at least every couple of days, then you can return the favor
as and when they need it. 8 days is really too dangerous to leave them
alone. What if there was a gas leak, or flood, or break in, or one of them
accidently got hurt badly/something fall on them, or they run out of food or
I dunno, just simply flat runs out of Oxygen. As soon as I moved in here, I
befriended all neighbours with cats and dogs, and ever since I not only have
help in looking after them when we go away, but also have new friends as
well. It's amazing how easily cat/dog people bond.

> I left two large bowls of food, three large bowls of water (in case
> they somehow spilled one of them). And I left the toilet seats up...

Well, I never leave mine more then office hours alone, but still, I always
leave the tap dripping in the bath tab, so they always have fresh water to
drink. They(cats) discovered this system actually not me :)

> Two litter boxes.

You were lucky your cats were not too fassed. My Shadow will not go in the
litter tray if there is more then 2 poos in there. She will instead show her
UNappreciation by going on to my bed!

> When I got home, it was as if I had never left.

I really think you were quite lucky this time. As wonderfull as your cats
are, and as much effort you make, there are things that could happen beyond
our control. Please reconsider some basic supervision next time.

> --Tim May

M.C. Mullen
April 14th 04, 07:38 AM
| I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
| to have someone check on it for you. Irresponsible would be to leave
| a cat outside or leave it to totally fend for itself inside and ration
| it's own food and water. They are our pets, they are our children,
| but they aren't human and they don't need 24 hour human interaction to
| survive.
| pepsi

I d' be worried that while I'm away the cats are looking for another home!

I plan to leave them alone for two nights in summer though. They can go in
and out and will be left with enough dry food and water and clean litter
boxes. Actually I wanted to go away for four nights but I know I'd be very
restless worrying about the cats. Even with two nights away I'll be
worrying, but I think it will work out well.

Carola

M.C. Mullen
April 14th 04, 07:38 AM
| I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
| to have someone check on it for you. Irresponsible would be to leave
| a cat outside or leave it to totally fend for itself inside and ration
| it's own food and water. They are our pets, they are our children,
| but they aren't human and they don't need 24 hour human interaction to
| survive.
| pepsi

I d' be worried that while I'm away the cats are looking for another home!

I plan to leave them alone for two nights in summer though. They can go in
and out and will be left with enough dry food and water and clean litter
boxes. Actually I wanted to go away for four nights but I know I'd be very
restless worrying about the cats. Even with two nights away I'll be
worrying, but I think it will work out well.

Carola

Ashley
April 14th 04, 08:41 AM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

Two weeks.

BUT ... mine are indoor/outdoor cats and they were visited every day by a
cousin who lives down the road who called them, checked they were okay,
changed their water, gave them fresh food, and even stayed overnight one
night after she'd had a row with the boyfriend!

Ashley
April 14th 04, 08:41 AM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

Two weeks.

BUT ... mine are indoor/outdoor cats and they were visited every day by a
cousin who lives down the road who called them, checked they were okay,
changed their water, gave them fresh food, and even stayed overnight one
night after she'd had a row with the boyfriend!

Tim May
April 14th 04, 09:19 AM
In article <[email protected]>, Gee > wrote:

> "Tim May" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Ablang
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s)
> alone
> > > when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> > > (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
> >
> > I left two cats alone for 8 days.
>
> Tim, surely you have some neighbours who could pop in and give your cats
> some attention at least every couple of days, then you can return the favor
> as and when they need it.

You think I would allow some neighbor or nosy friend to root through my
house, finding diaries, guns, videos, whatever? I see how nosy people
are as they check my bookshelves even when I am in the same room with
them.

Anyone who has watched the covert videos of nannies, maids, etc. has
seen them rooting through drawers, wandering curiously around, etc.

My house has a lot of valuable things in it, and only some fraction are
locked in the gun vault.

So, no, I don't let strangers or even family members have free run of
my house when I am not around...I would hate to check the time-delay
camera and then have to kill them.

> 8 days is really too dangerous to leave them
> alone. What if there was a gas leak, or flood, or break in, or one of them
> accidently got hurt badly/something fall on them, or they run out of food or
> I dunno, just simply flat runs out of Oxygen.

"What would happen if a _meteor_ hit?

They would die. It happens.

But the odds of all such things are nearly zero. (And having a neighbor
visit every day or two doesn't fix most of the things you
described--break-in, things falling on them, accident, gas leak, etc.)

As for running out of food and water, I already described the two large
bowls of each, plust the toilet seats up. Ain't gonna be no cat
skeletons even if they ran out of food. Get with the math, man!

> As soon as I moved in here, I
> befriended all neighbours with cats and dogs, and ever since I not only have
> help in looking after them when we go away, but also have new friends as
> well. It's amazing how easily cat/dog people bond.

Your choice. I don't want neighbors rooting through my stuff. I don't
want them calling the cops when they find drugs or assault rifles.

(Killing a neighbor for snooping would be bad enough, but having to
fight the cops when I get home would be infinitely more dangerous.
People are snoops. Watch the video tapes.)

> I really think you were quite lucky this time. As wonderfull as your cats
> are, and as much effort you make, there are things that could happen beyond
> our control. Please reconsider some basic supervision next time.

Stop acting as a catlover cop. I answered the person's question...I
don't need lectures from ****heads like you.

> [...]

> As soon as I moved in here, I
> befriended all neighbours with cats and dogs, and ever since I not only have
> help in looking after them when we go away, but also have new friends as
> well. It's amazing how easily cat/dog people bond.

Your choice. I don't want neighbors rooting through my stuff. I don't
want them calling the cops when they find drugs or assault rifles.

(Killing a neighbor for snooping would be bad enough, but having to
fight the cops when I get home would be infinitely more dangerous.
People are snoops. Watch the video tapes.)

> I really think you were quite lucky this time. As wonderfull as your cats
> are, and as much effort you make, there are things that could happen beyond
> our control. Please reconsider some basic supervision next time.

Stop acting as a catlover cop. I answered the person's question...I

Kristine Kochanski
April 14th 04, 10:49 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:

> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
will but that's my belief.

Kristine Kochanski
April 14th 04, 10:49 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:

> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
will but that's my belief.

Agua Girl
April 14th 04, 01:12 PM
"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> > wrote:
>
> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> >when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> >(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
> >
> > What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> >things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
> will but that's my belief.

How do you work? I have to leave for at least 10 hours every day
and don't even consider it leaving her alone.
I guess to each their own. Of course I live in a 1,700 sq foot house
so it's hardly "confining" to the cat.

AG

Agua Girl
April 14th 04, 01:12 PM
"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> > wrote:
>
> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> >when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> >(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
> >
> > What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> >things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
> will but that's my belief.

How do you work? I have to leave for at least 10 hours every day
and don't even consider it leaving her alone.
I guess to each their own. Of course I live in a 1,700 sq foot house
so it's hardly "confining" to the cat.

AG

Agua Girl
April 14th 04, 01:13 PM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

A weekend, although if it's a full weekend I usually ask a neighbor
to check in. I will leave her for a day and a night without
having anyone look in.

AG

Agua Girl
April 14th 04, 01:13 PM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

A weekend, although if it's a full weekend I usually ask a neighbor
to check in. I will leave her for a day and a night without
having anyone look in.

AG

Kristine Kochanski
April 14th 04, 04:20 PM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 05:12:14 -0700, "Agua Girl" >
wrote:

>"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>> >when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>> >(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>> >
>> > What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>> >things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>>
>> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>> will but that's my belief.
>
>How do you work?

I have a home office. I doubt I'd have all my cats if it meant leaving
them all day every day. One would be fine and would disappear up to
her bed for a snooze, the other two would cry all day (they cry when
they think they're alone so they must do it when I'm out too).
Although, like everythign else, I dare say they'd get used to it. I'd
just feel guilty.

The main reason I think it's important for me to be around is probably
the fact I'm on constant litter patrol - they will not do their
business if someone else has been there first so I go around checking
the trays every couple of hours. I always seem to have a nappy sack in
one hand and a scoop in the other...

wrote:

>"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>> >when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>> >(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>> >
>> > What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>> >things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>>
>> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>> will but that's my belief.
>
>How do you work?

I have a home office. I doubt I'd have all my cats if it meant leaving
them all day every day. One would be fine and would disappear up to
her bed for a snooze, the other two would cry all day (they cry when
they think they're alone so they must do it when I'm out too).
Although, like everythign else, I dare say they'd get used to it. I'd
just feel guilty.

The main reason I think it's important for me to be around is probably
the fact I'm on constant litter patrol - they will not do their
business if someone else has been there first so I go around checking
the trays every couple of hours. I always seem to have a nappy sack in
one hand and a scoop in the other...

Tracy
April 14th 04, 04:54 PM
Kristine Kochanski > wrote in message >...

> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
> will but that's my belief.

I'm not flaming. I'm just asking. You never go out for more than six
hours at a time? How do you work that?

Tracy
April 14th 04, 04:54 PM
Kristine Kochanski > wrote in message >...

> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
> will but that's my belief.

I'm not flaming. I'm just asking. You never go out for more than six
hours at a time? How do you work that?

Kristine Kochanski
April 14th 04, 06:20 PM
On 14 Apr 2004 08:54:18 -0700, (Tracy) wrote:

>Kristine Kochanski > wrote in message >...
>
>> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>> will but that's my belief.
>
>I'm not flaming. I'm just asking. You never go out for more than six
>hours at a time? How do you work that?

I'm rarely anywhere that takes all day/all night, and if I am I try to
make sure there's someone else in the house. It is like being tied
down to a certain extent but I always think 'what about the cats'
before I go anywhere. My choice to have them, I'm not complaining.

Kristine Kochanski
April 14th 04, 06:20 PM
On 14 Apr 2004 08:54:18 -0700, (Tracy) wrote:

>Kristine Kochanski > wrote in message >...
>
>> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>> will but that's my belief.
>
>I'm not flaming. I'm just asking. You never go out for more than six
>hours at a time? How do you work that?

I'm rarely anywhere that takes all day/all night, and if I am I try to
make sure there's someone else in the house. It is like being tied
down to a certain extent but I always think 'what about the cats'
before I go anywhere. My choice to have them, I'm not complaining.

Gee
April 14th 04, 06:38 PM
"Tim May" > wrote in message

> You think I would allow some neighbor or nosy friend to root through my
> house, finding diaries, guns, videos, whatever? I see how nosy people
> are as they check my bookshelves even when I am in the same room with
> them.

Not everybody is your enemy. I personally couldn;t go through life not
trusting anyone. But that's me. I probably lead a different lifestyle to
yours.

> So, no, I don't let strangers or even family members have free run of
> my house when I am not around...I would hate to check the time-delay
> camera and then have to kill them.

Kill??????? Geez...Not gonna comment much on that, just gonna say that we
hate guns in Britain.

>And having a neighbor
> visit every day or two doesn't fix most of the things you
> described--break-in, things falling on them, accident, gas leak, etc.)

No it doesn;t fix them true, but they can be noticed on time, and if cat is
in danger, taken to the vets straight away, instead of 8 days later when it
could be too late.

> As for running out of food and water, I already described the two large
> bowls of each, plust the toilet seats up.

Well must say I';ve never seen cats drink from toilet like dogs do, I didn;t
think they can reach it. Plus I can;t see how drinking from the toilet is
higynic.

>Ain't gonna be no cat skeletons even if they ran out of food. Get with the
math, man!

I have. Hence my comments. Oh and it's a woman.

> Stop acting as a catlover cop. I answered the person's question...I
> don't need lectures from ****heads like you.

Tim, chill. You explained your points already. I explained mine. Using this
kind of language will not change either of our opinions.We are all here
animal lovers, and sometimes you will get people dissagreeing with you and
giving you advice. Take it or leave it.

And if I and others stop acting like "catlover cops", how will people who
don't know learn? You obviously have issue with authorities and with a
reason, but I am not the one, I just simply love animals and am trying to
help when I can. Your answer was honest, which is why I didn;t have a go at
you at all, but both you and I could hardly reccomend to all people that is
OK to leave cats alone for 8 days regularely. See the point?

Gee

> --Tim May

Gee
April 14th 04, 06:38 PM
"Tim May" > wrote in message

> You think I would allow some neighbor or nosy friend to root through my
> house, finding diaries, guns, videos, whatever? I see how nosy people
> are as they check my bookshelves even when I am in the same room with
> them.

Not everybody is your enemy. I personally couldn;t go through life not
trusting anyone. But that's me. I probably lead a different lifestyle to
yours.

> So, no, I don't let strangers or even family members have free run of
> my house when I am not around...I would hate to check the time-delay
> camera and then have to kill them.

Kill??????? Geez...Not gonna comment much on that, just gonna say that we
hate guns in Britain.

>And having a neighbor
> visit every day or two doesn't fix most of the things you
> described--break-in, things falling on them, accident, gas leak, etc.)

No it doesn;t fix them true, but they can be noticed on time, and if cat is
in danger, taken to the vets straight away, instead of 8 days later when it
could be too late.

> As for running out of food and water, I already described the two large
> bowls of each, plust the toilet seats up.

Well must say I';ve never seen cats drink from toilet like dogs do, I didn;t
think they can reach it. Plus I can;t see how drinking from the toilet is
higynic.

>Ain't gonna be no cat skeletons even if they ran out of food. Get with the
math, man!

I have. Hence my comments. Oh and it's a woman.

> Stop acting as a catlover cop. I answered the person's question...I
> don't need lectures from ****heads like you.

Tim, chill. You explained your points already. I explained mine. Using this
kind of language will not change either of our opinions.We are all here
animal lovers, and sometimes you will get people dissagreeing with you and
giving you advice. Take it or leave it.

And if I and others stop acting like "catlover cops", how will people who
don't know learn? You obviously have issue with authorities and with a
reason, but I am not the one, I just simply love animals and am trying to
help when I can. Your answer was honest, which is why I didn;t have a go at
you at all, but both you and I could hardly reccomend to all people that is
OK to leave cats alone for 8 days regularely. See the point?

Gee

> --Tim May

Kristine Kochanski
April 14th 04, 06:49 PM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:38:09 +0100, "Gee" > wrote:

>Well must say I';ve never seen cats drink from toilet like dogs do, I didn;t
>think they can reach it. Plus I can;t see how drinking from the toilet is
>higynic.

Funnily enough I have a cat who does this, or she did until I cottoned
on and started making sure the lid is down after every flush. That's
the last place I want her drinking from!

Kristine Kochanski
April 14th 04, 06:49 PM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:38:09 +0100, "Gee" > wrote:

>Well must say I';ve never seen cats drink from toilet like dogs do, I didn;t
>think they can reach it. Plus I can;t see how drinking from the toilet is
>higynic.

Funnily enough I have a cat who does this, or she did until I cottoned
on and started making sure the lid is down after every flush. That's
the last place I want her drinking from!

April 15th 04, 12:25 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:49:37 +0100, Kristine Kochanski
> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>>when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>>(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>>
>> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>>things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
>I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>will but that's my belief.

You must not have a job.
pepsi

April 15th 04, 12:25 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:49:37 +0100, Kristine Kochanski
> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>>when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>>(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>>
>> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>>things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
>I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>will but that's my belief.

You must not have a job.
pepsi

Kristine Kochanski
April 15th 04, 09:53 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:25:29 GMT, wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:49:37 +0100, Kristine Kochanski
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>>>when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>>>(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>>>
>>> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>>>things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>>
>>I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>>trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>>will but that's my belief.
>
>You must not have a job.
>pepsi

Read the rest of the thread. I work from home. If I didn't I wouldn't
have the cats I have.

Kristine Kochanski
April 15th 04, 09:53 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:25:29 GMT, wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:49:37 +0100, Kristine Kochanski
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
>>>when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
>>>(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>>>
>>> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
>>>things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>>
>>I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
>>trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
>>will but that's my belief.
>
>You must not have a job.
>pepsi

Read the rest of the thread. I work from home. If I didn't I wouldn't
have the cats I have.

Callipygian Nullifidian
April 15th 04, 10:24 PM
"Gee" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
:
: "Tim May" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >, Ablang
: > > wrote:
: >
: > > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their
cat(s)
: alone
: > > when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of,
of course
: > > (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out,
etc).
: >
: > I left two cats alone for 8 days.
:
: Tim, surely you have some neighbours who could pop in and give your
cats
: some attention at least every couple of days,

How naive....

I can't imagine allowing my neighbors access to my house without a
chaperone. Actually, my jirds would be far harder to prepare
for...they wouldn't be able to get to the sink (especially with three
cats running around).

Callipygian Nullifidian
April 15th 04, 10:24 PM
"Gee" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
:
: "Tim May" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >, Ablang
: > > wrote:
: >
[...]

Mich Somday
April 16th 04, 08:56 PM
Kristine Kochanski > wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:38:09 +0100, "Gee" > wrote:
>
> >Well must say I';ve never seen cats drink from toilet like dogs do, I didn;t
> >think they can reach it. Plus I can;t see how drinking from the toilet is
> >higynic.
>
> Funnily enough I have a cat who does this, or she did until I cottoned
> on and started making sure the lid is down after every flush. That's
> the last place I want her drinking from!

Both of my cats drink from the toilet. They have fresh water in the
water bowl at all times, but they seem to prefer the "Throne Method".
I have two washrooms and a human family of five (four of which are
male). This makes it extremely difficult to keep the toilet lid down
at all times.

I certainly don't appreciate the fact that my fuzzbrains drink from
the toilet bowl (it really IS nasty business), but it's really funny
to watch them slip, skid and try to keep themselves from falling in
when you holler at them for it. You see, they KNOW they're not
supposed to...that just makes it more attractive in the feline mind.

Regards and Many Giggles,

Mich

Mich Somday
April 16th 04, 08:56 PM
Kristine Kochanski > wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:38:09 +0100, "Gee" > wrote:
>
> >Well must say I';ve never seen cats drink from toilet like dogs do, I didn;t
> >think they can reach it. Plus I can;t see how drinking from the toilet is
> >higynic.
>
> Funnily enough I have a cat who does this, or she did until I cottoned
> on and started making sure the lid is down after every flush. That's
> the last place I want her drinking from!

Both of my cats drink from the toilet. They have fresh water in the
water bowl at all times, but they seem to prefer the "Throne Method".
I have two washrooms and a human family of five (four of which are
male). This makes it extremely difficult to keep the toilet lid down
at all times.

I certainly don't appreciate the fact that my fuzzbrains drink from
the toilet bowl (it really IS nasty business), but it's really funny
to watch them slip, skid and try to keep themselves from falling in
when you holler at them for it. You see, they KNOW they're not
supposed to...that just makes it more attractive in the feline mind.

Regards and Many Giggles,

Mich

Karen M.
April 17th 04, 11:38 PM
Hilary wrote:
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I've been gone as long as ten days. Just got back from a trip where
I took the special needs Siamese kitty along, leaving the older,
self-determined one behind. I had a well-intentioned friend drop in
several times to check on the food and water situation, and to play
Spot (the laser pointer).
The house cat gobbled all the dry food within a few of days, and my
friend put out more, more, more! (She is not real familiar with the
cat and did not know the difference between "I'm lonely" and "I'm so
starved I can barely say meow.") Cat must have put on three lbs.
Needless to say, we have begun a regimen of stairs, making Spot climb
the walls, and so forth.
The "car pet" had a great time. I took her along because she is so
dang skittish for visitors and loud noises. Since all she does at home
is look out the windows and watch animals, she enjoyed being in the
car.
I don't think I would stay gone for two whole weeks without asking
someone to check on the critters. Overnight, a weekend, or up to a
week, they'll be fine.
HTH
--Karen M.

Karen M.
April 17th 04, 11:38 PM
Hilary wrote:
> I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> (automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
>
> What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I've been gone as long as ten days. Just got back from a trip where
I took the special needs Siamese kitty along, leaving the older,
self-determined one behind. I had a well-intentioned friend drop in
several times to check on the food and water situation, and to play
Spot (the laser pointer).
The house cat gobbled all the dry food within a few of days, and my
friend put out more, more, more! (She is not real familiar with the
cat and did not know the difference between "I'm lonely" and "I'm so
starved I can barely say meow.") Cat must have put on three lbs.
Needless to say, we have begun a regimen of stairs, making Spot climb
the walls, and so forth.
The "car pet" had a great time. I took her along because she is so
dang skittish for visitors and loud noises. Since all she does at home
is look out the windows and watch animals, she enjoyed being in the
car.
I don't think I would stay gone for two whole weeks without asking
someone to check on the critters. Overnight, a weekend, or up to a
week, they'll be fine.
HTH
--Karen M.

Laura R.
April 21st 04, 02:17 AM
circa 13 Apr 2004 22:47:21 -0700, in rec.pets.cats, Tracy (twrl2001
@yahoo.com) said,
> Two nights i.e. a weekend. More than that, then the petsitter comes.

Since September 11 I've been extra paranoid about not leaving my cats
unattended if I'm traveling. I was out of town on 9/11, and ended up
getting home later than I'd been planning to, and certainly not the
way I'd intended to. If I hadn't had a catsitter caring for my cats,
this could have been a Very Bad Thing. I live in NYC, my catsitter
doesn't stop coming to care for the cats until the owner returns and
calls to confirm such, and I like it that way. :-)

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Laura R.
April 21st 04, 02:17 AM
circa 13 Apr 2004 22:47:21 -0700, in rec.pets.cats, Tracy (twrl2001
@yahoo.com) said,
> Two nights i.e. a weekend. More than that, then the petsitter comes.

Since September 11 I've been extra paranoid about not leaving my cats
unattended if I'm traveling. I was out of town on 9/11, and ended up
getting home later than I'd been planning to, and certainly not the
way I'd intended to. If I hadn't had a catsitter caring for my cats,
this could have been a Very Bad Thing. I live in NYC, my catsitter
doesn't stop coming to care for the cats until the owner returns and
calls to confirm such, and I like it that way. :-)

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Laura R.
April 22nd 04, 01:01 AM
circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:37:16 GMT, in rec.pets.cats,
) said,
> I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
> to have someone check on it for you.

That's called a "petsitter". :-)

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Laura R.
April 22nd 04, 01:01 AM
circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:37:16 GMT, in rec.pets.cats,
) said,
> I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
> to have someone check on it for you.

That's called a "petsitter". :-)

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Tina Laitinen
April 22nd 04, 03:17 AM
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
> circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:37:16 GMT, in rec.pets.cats,
> ) said,
> > I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
> > to have someone check on it for you.
> >
> That's called a "petsitter". :-)
>
> Laura
> --
> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
> Your ass will be laminated.

If we're going away for more than 4 days we have someone come in .. we have
a self feeder and we clean their litter. We figure their okay by themselves
for 4 days.

Tina

Tina Laitinen
April 22nd 04, 03:17 AM
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
> circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:37:16 GMT, in rec.pets.cats,
> ) said,
> > I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
> > to have someone check on it for you.
> >
> That's called a "petsitter". :-)
>
> Laura
> --
> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
> Your ass will be laminated.

If we're going away for more than 4 days we have someone come in .. we have
a self feeder and we clean their litter. We figure their okay by themselves
for 4 days.

Tina

April 22nd 04, 05:44 PM
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:17:24 GMT, "Tina Laitinen"
> wrote:
>"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
>> circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:37:16 GMT, in rec.pets.cats,
>> ) said,
>> > I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
>> > to have someone check on it for you.
>> >
>> That's called a "petsitter". :-)
>>
>> Laura
>> --
>> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
>> Your ass will be laminated.
>
>If we're going away for more than 4 days we have someone come in .. we have
>a self feeder and we clean their litter. We figure their okay by themselves
>for 4 days.
>
>Tina
4 days is the most for me, and that's rare. Plenty of 3's though.
They've been fine for that time.

Swyck

April 22nd 04, 05:44 PM
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:17:24 GMT, "Tina Laitinen"
> wrote:
>"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
>> circa Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:37:16 GMT, in rec.pets.cats,
>> ) said,
>> > I don't call it irresponsible to leave a pet if you make arrangements
>> > to have someone check on it for you.
>> >
>> That's called a "petsitter". :-)
>>
>> Laura
>> --
>> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
>> Your ass will be laminated.
>
>If we're going away for more than 4 days we have someone come in .. we have
>a self feeder and we clean their litter. We figure their okay by themselves
>for 4 days.
>
>Tina
4 days is the most for me, and that's rare. Plenty of 3's though.
They've been fine for that time.

Swyck

KELLY DONOVAN
April 24th 04, 11:19 PM
"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:25:29 GMT, wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:49:37 +0100, Kristine Kochanski
> > wrote:

I've left mine for weekends and 3-day weekends. I leave out tons of dry food
and water and make sure the litterbox is clean and has plenty of sand. The
food/water/litter situation is fine when I get home, but I feel kind of
guilty because I know she must be lonely when I'm gone. I don't leave her
that often, though.
--
Kelly Donovan

KELLY DONOVAN
April 24th 04, 11:19 PM
"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:25:29 GMT, wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:49:37 +0100, Kristine Kochanski
> > wrote:

I've left mine for weekends and 3-day weekends. I leave out tons of dry food
and water and make sure the litterbox is clean and has plenty of sand. The
food/water/litter situation is fine when I get home, but I feel kind of
guilty because I know she must be lonely when I'm gone. I don't leave her
that often, though.
--
Kelly Donovan

Reyd
April 25th 04, 09:14 PM
In article >,
Kristine Kochanski > wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> > wrote:
>
> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> >when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> >(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
> >
> > What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> >things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
> will but that's my belief.

mine has an open window, fresh water and enough food for 5 days, she
comes and goes when she wants, sometimes goes out fr a few days, IMO,
with a set-up like that 4 or five days is fine.

Reyd
April 25th 04, 09:14 PM
In article >,
Kristine Kochanski > wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> > wrote:
>
> > I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
> >when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
> >(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).
> >
> > What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
> >things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?
>
> I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
> trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
> will but that's my belief.

mine has an open window, fresh water and enough food for 5 days, she
comes and goes when she wants, sometimes goes out fr a few days, IMO,
with a set-up like that 4 or five days is fine.

KiaSidhe
July 8th 04, 12:48 PM
"Callipygian Nullifidian" > wrote in message
> "Gee" > wrote in message

> : Tim, surely you have some neighbours who could pop in and give your
> cats
> : some attention at least every couple of days,
>
> How naive....
>
> I can't imagine allowing my neighbors access to my house without a
> chaperone. Actually, my jirds would be far harder to prepare
> for...they wouldn't be able to get to the sink (especially with three
> cats running around).

Hmm....my mom and dad used to let neighbors watch the cats and birds and
rodents and feed the plants and take in the mail, etc. while we were gone on
vacation. It was alright.......but then again, they had known these people
for 20 years and for 10 of those years, each of them kept a spare key at the
other one's house (just in case someone got locked out). Sometimes they
would even pay one of the neighborhood kids $10 for a week of doing that
(but their parents would come along too).

However, when my fiancee and i went on vacation, we got a family member (his
dad or stepmom) to stop over here once a day and feed our cat.

---Julia

KiaSidhe
July 8th 04, 12:48 PM
"Callipygian Nullifidian" > wrote in message
> "Gee" > wrote in message

> : Tim, surely you have some neighbours who could pop in and give your
> cats
> : some attention at least every couple of days,
>
> How naive....
>
> I can't imagine allowing my neighbors access to my house without a
> chaperone. Actually, my jirds would be far harder to prepare
> for...they wouldn't be able to get to the sink (especially with three
> cats running around).

Hmm....my mom and dad used to let neighbors watch the cats and birds and
rodents and feed the plants and take in the mail, etc. while we were gone on
vacation. It was alright.......but then again, they had known these people
for 20 years and for 10 of those years, each of them kept a spare key at the
other one's house (just in case someone got locked out). Sometimes they
would even pay one of the neighborhood kids $10 for a week of doing that
(but their parents would come along too).

However, when my fiancee and i went on vacation, we got a family member (his
dad or stepmom) to stop over here once a day and feed our cat.

---Julia

Linda Terrell
July 9th 04, 02:53 AM
Indeed, any pet left alone should be looked in
on at leastopnce a day in case something happens
it gets sick, gets stuck somewhere, etc.

LT

Linda Terrell
July 9th 04, 02:53 AM
Indeed, any pet left alone should be looked in
on at leastopnce a day in case something happens
it gets sick, gets stuck somewhere, etc.

LT

Tim May
July 9th 04, 09:03 AM
In article
Linda Terrell > wrote:

> Indeed, any pet left alone should be looked in
> on at leastopnce a day in case something happens
> it gets sick, gets stuck somewhere, etc.

I've left my cats alone for 7 days. If God chooses to take them, he
takes them.

I trust God more than I trust my neighbors to root around inside my
house.

--Tim May

Tim May
July 9th 04, 09:03 AM