PDA

View Full Version : Indoor cat figured out doggie door

Tom Meter
April 14th 04, 10:13 PM
Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

Karen
April 14th 04, 11:12 PM
"Tom Meter" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
> never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
> Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
> times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign
of
> the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her
and
> keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
> bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
> have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

Well, you could try that. From what I hear, once they figure out the doors,
it's pretty hard though. Do the dogs *have* to have free access?

Karen

Karen
April 14th 04, 11:12 PM
"Tom Meter" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
> never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
> Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
> times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign
of
> the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her
and
> keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
> bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
> have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

Well, you could try that. From what I hear, once they figure out the doors,
it's pretty hard though. Do the dogs *have* to have free access?

Karen

Karen
April 14th 04, 11:13 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message

> "Tom Meter" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away
and
> > never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
> > Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
> > times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign
> of
> > the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her
> and
> > keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let
me
> > bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the
dogs
> > have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?
> >

> Well, you could try that. From what I hear, once they figure out the
doors,
> it's pretty hard though. Do the dogs *have* to have free access?
>
> Karen

Or, here's another thought. Can you cat proof your backyard?
www.catfencein.com

Karen

Karen
April 14th 04, 11:13 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message

> "Tom Meter" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away
and
> > never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
> > Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
> > times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign
> of
> > the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her
> and
> > keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let
me
> > bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the
dogs
> > have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?
> >

> Well, you could try that. From what I hear, once they figure out the
doors,
> it's pretty hard though. Do the dogs *have* to have free access?
>
> Karen

Or, here's another thought. Can you cat proof your backyard?
www.catfencein.com

Karen

Kristine Kochanski
April 15th 04, 09:58 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:13:46 GMT, "Tom Meter" >
wrote:

>Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
>never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
>Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
>times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
>the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
>keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
>bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
>have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an over-sized
catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds best,
though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog out
2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!

wrote:

>Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
>never returned. So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
>Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
>times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
>the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
>keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
>bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
>have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an over-sized
catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds best,
though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog out
2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!

Alison
April 15th 04, 08:35 PM
"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
>> A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an
over-sized
> catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds
best,
> though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
> like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog
out
> 2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!

We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
Alison

Alison
April 15th 04, 08:35 PM
"Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
>> A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an
over-sized
> catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds
best,
> though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
> like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog
out
> 2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!

We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
Alison

Tom Meter
April 15th 04, 09:00 PM
"Alison" > wrote in message

> "Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
> >> A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an
> over-sized
> > catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds
> best,
> > though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
> > like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog
> out
> > 2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!
>
> We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
> fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
> LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
> Alison

We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see how a
fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).

Tom Meter
April 15th 04, 09:00 PM
"Alison" > wrote in message

> "Kristine Kochanski" > wrote in message
> >> A doggy door??? Never heard of that, I presume it's like an
> over-sized
> > catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds
> best,
> > though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
> > like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog
> out
> > 2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!
>
> We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
> fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
> LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
> Alison

We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see how a
fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).

Karen
April 15th 04, 10:50 PM
"Tom Meter" > wrote in message
. com...

> > over-sized
> > > catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds
> > best,
> > > though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
> > > like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog
> > out
> > > 2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!
> >
> > We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
> > fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
> > LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
> > Alison
> > >

> We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
> talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see how
> fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
> heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).

Again see www.catfencein.com

Karen
April 15th 04, 10:50 PM
"Tom Meter" > wrote in message
. com...

> > over-sized
> > > catflap?? Must be an American thing. The electronic thing sounds
> > best,
> > > though I've never seen one so I couldn't comment! Presume it works
> > > like the magnetic catflap. Or do what the Brits do - take your dog
> > out
> > > 2 or 3 times a day supervised when it needs its poop!
> >
> > We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
> > fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
> > LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
> > Alison
> > >

> We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
> talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see how
> fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
> heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).

Again see www.catfencein.com

Tom Meter
April 15th 04, 11:37 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message

> "Tom Meter" > wrote in message
> . com...

> > > over-sized
> > > best,
> > > out
> > >
> > > We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
> > > fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
> > > LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
> > > Alison
> > > >

> > We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
> > talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see
how
> > fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
> > heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).
> >
> Again see www.catfencein.com

So you put that all along your fence? I'll look into it. Thanks.

Tom Meter
April 15th 04, 11:37 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message

> "Tom Meter" > wrote in message
> . com...

> > > over-sized
> > > best,
> > > out
> > >
> > > We have fenced back gardens (yards) and front gardens are usually
> > > fenced and gated but not always . ( An Englishman's home is his castle
> > > LOL) and we also let our cats out so its not a problem.
> > > Alison
> > > >

> > We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
> > talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see
how
> > fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
> > heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).
> >
> Again see www.catfencein.com

So you put that all along your fence? I'll look into it. Thanks.

Karen Chuplis
April 16th 04, 01:10 AM
in article , Tom Meter at
wrote on 4/15/04 5:37 PM:

> "Karen" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Meter" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
>>> talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see
> how
>>> fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
>>> heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).
>>>
>> Again see www.catfencein.com
>

> So you put that all along your fence? I'll look into it. Thanks.

It's reported to be VERY effective. I hope you can give kitty her safety. I
highly doubt you can keep her from using the flap once she learns how.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
April 16th 04, 01:10 AM
in article , Tom Meter at
wrote on 4/15/04 5:37 PM:

> "Karen" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Meter" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> We have a wall but the cat can easily jump up and over. Are you mainly
>>> talking about keeping your cat from being attacked because I can't see
> how
>>> fence can keep a cat from roaming off and running away (my wife will be
>>> heartbroken for months if this happens with Brittney).
>>>
>> Again see www.catfencein.com
>

> So you put that all along your fence? I'll look into it. Thanks.

It's reported to be VERY effective. I hope you can give kitty her safety. I
highly doubt you can keep her from using the flap once she learns how.

Karen

Robert Casey
April 17th 04, 05:43 AM
Tom Meter wrote:

>Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
>never returned.

More likely they got lost and didn't return because they couldn't figure
out where home was.

>So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
>Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
>times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
>the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
>keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
>bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
>have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

I wouldn't let the dogs loose outside as they would face the same
dangers an outdoor cat
would face. Doesn't your town have leash laws anyway?

Robert Casey
April 17th 04, 05:43 AM
Tom Meter wrote:

>Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
>never returned.

More likely they got lost and didn't return because they couldn't figure
out where home was.

>So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
>Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
>times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
>the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
>keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
>bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
>have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

I wouldn't let the dogs loose outside as they would face the same
dangers an outdoor cat
would face. Doesn't your town have leash laws anyway?

Karen Chuplis
April 17th 04, 11:26 AM
in article , Robert Casey at
wrote on 4/16/04 11:43 PM:

> Tom Meter wrote:
>
>> Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
>> never returned.
>>
> More likely they got lost and didn't return because they couldn't figure
> out where home was.
>
>> So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
>> Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
>> times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
>> the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
>> keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
>> bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
>> have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?
>>

> I wouldn't let the dogs loose outside as they would face the same
> dangers an outdoor cat
> would face. Doesn't your town have leash laws anyway?

I'm thinking its an enclosed yard.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
April 17th 04, 11:26 AM
in article , Robert Casey at
wrote on 4/16/04 11:43 PM:

> Tom Meter wrote:
>
>> Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
>> never returned.
>>
> More likely they got lost and didn't return because they couldn't figure
> out where home was.
>
>> So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
>> Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
>> times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
>> the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
>> keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
>> bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
>> have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?
>>

> I wouldn't let the dogs loose outside as they would face the same
> dangers an outdoor cat
> would face. Doesn't your town have leash laws anyway?

I'm thinking its an enclosed yard.

Karen

rumer
April 17th 04, 03:13 PM
Karen Chuplis > wrote in message >...
> in article , Robert Casey at
> wrote on 4/16/04 11:43 PM:
>
> > Tom Meter wrote:
> >
> >> Hi. My wife has lost two cats in the last few years that just ran away and
> >> never returned.
> >>
> > More likely they got lost and didn't return because they couldn't figure
> > out where home was.
> >
> >> So she is really concerned that our current indoor cat
> >> Brittney will flee now that she has gone out the doggie door a couple of
> >> times. We are currently locking the doggie door while she has full reign of
> >> the house but it's getting harder and harder to juggle the dogs and her and
> >> keep her from "escaping". Both times she just sat on the porch and let me
> >> bring her in. Should I invest in an electronic door and just let the dogs
> >> have "keys" or does someone have a better suggestion.?

currently i have four cats and all but one is an ourdoor cat. i have
never encountered a problem with my cats leaving home once they
discovered the broad outdoors. then again, i live in suburban america.
but i think if i did have this problem i would get rid of the doggie
door pronto. i have two dogs that can not decide whether they want in
or out at all hours of the night. but this is the responsibility i
knowingly took on when i got them.
just shuffel back a few steps to the old days where doggie doors where
but a dream. getting up every so often is a hastle but not in
comparrison to searching and then losing a dear friend.