PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else's cat seem to lick them constantly?

metromax
April 20th 04, 08:30 PM
My newish cat (4 months) is constantly licking my ankles and when i go to
pet him, he grabs my hand with his paw and brings it to his mouth for
licking.

Does anyone know why he is doing this? Affection? Salt deficiency? Oral
fixation????

Anyone with a cat can understand this raspy tongue thing is not too
pleasant...but I wouldn't want to hurt his cat feelings either by never
letting him do it.

Gee
April 21st 04, 05:11 AM
"metromax" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> My newish cat (4 months) is constantly licking my ankles and when i go to
> pet him, he grabs my hand with his paw and brings it to his mouth for
> licking.
>
> Does anyone know why he is doing this? Affection? Salt deficiency? Oral
> fixation????
>
> Anyone with a cat can understand this raspy tongue thing is not too
> pleasant...but I wouldn't want to hurt his cat feelings either by never
> letting him do it.

Well, all I can tell you is get used to it :)

I think cats lick for 2 reasons:
1. Cleaning you
2. reassurance/closeness

Cats are always cleaning themselves, so perhaps your soap smell is not up to
your boys scratch :) Tigger is forever cleaning me too, but never right
after the bath, so i fugured I smell OK for a while after he he. On the
other hand he could be avoiding me after bath, cos I don;t smell familiar,
and he likes to cuddle up to me and lick my hands and his own tail, just
before his bedtime, or right after he woke up, so it could be this
closness/security thing. Something like many humans having a security
blanket or a cuddly toy.

I also read somewhere cats like to lick off the salt in humans sweat. No
idea if that is true
Gee.

Gee
April 21st 04, 05:11 AM
"metromax" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> My newish cat (4 months) is constantly licking my ankles and when i go to
> pet him, he grabs my hand with his paw and brings it to his mouth for
> licking.
>
> Does anyone know why he is doing this? Affection? Salt deficiency? Oral
> fixation????
>
> Anyone with a cat can understand this raspy tongue thing is not too
> pleasant...but I wouldn't want to hurt his cat feelings either by never
> letting him do it.

Well, all I can tell you is get used to it :)

I think cats lick for 2 reasons:
1. Cleaning you
2. reassurance/closeness

Cats are always cleaning themselves, so perhaps your soap smell is not up to
your boys scratch :) Tigger is forever cleaning me too, but never right
after the bath, so i fugured I smell OK for a while after he he. On the
other hand he could be avoiding me after bath, cos I don;t smell familiar,
and he likes to cuddle up to me and lick my hands and his own tail, just
before his bedtime, or right after he woke up, so it could be this
closness/security thing. Something like many humans having a security
blanket or a cuddly toy.

I also read somewhere cats like to lick off the salt in humans sweat. No
idea if that is true
Gee.

kilikini
April 21st 04, 05:48 AM
"Gee" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "metromax" > wrote in message
> lkaboutpets.com...
> > My newish cat (4 months) is constantly licking my ankles and when i go
> > pet him, he grabs my hand with his paw and brings it to his mouth for
> > licking.
> >
> > Does anyone know why he is doing this? Affection? Salt deficiency? Oral
> > fixation????
> >
> > Anyone with a cat can understand this raspy tongue thing is not too
> > pleasant...but I wouldn't want to hurt his cat feelings either by never
> > letting him do it.
>
> Well, all I can tell you is get used to it :)
>
> I think cats lick for 2 reasons:
> 1. Cleaning you
> 2. reassurance/closeness
>
> Cats are always cleaning themselves, so perhaps your soap smell is not up
> your boys scratch :) Tigger is forever cleaning me too, but never right
> after the bath, so i fugured I smell OK for a while after he he. On the
> other hand he could be avoiding me after bath, cos I don;t smell familiar,
> and he likes to cuddle up to me and lick my hands and his own tail, just
> before his bedtime, or right after he woke up, so it could be this
> closness/security thing. Something like many humans having a security
> blanket or a cuddly toy.
>
> I also read somewhere cats like to lick off the salt in humans sweat. No
> idea if that is true
> Gee.

Nah, let your cat do it. Your cat loves you! I've actually let my cat lick
me almost raw on my arm. I think of it as a bonding thing.

kili

kilikini
April 21st 04, 05:48 AM
news:[email protected]