PDA

View Full Version : Automatic feeder that can detect which cat wants to eat ?

Nik Bedwell
April 21st 04, 04:46 PM
Hello,

We have 2 cats, and unfortunately one will eat anything in either food bowl.
Our other cat is a little more fussy, only wanting to eat a little at a
time. But of course when she comes back for 2nds all her food has been eaten
:(

We've tried various ways to resolve this, but what would be perfect is an
automatic feeder which detected which cat was there, only opening when
necessary.

We've seen catflaps that have a detector in the collar the cat wears, thus
preventing any other cat entering - is there anything like this for feeders
?

I don't think there is, and we've checked with local pet shops, plus phoned
a couple of manufacturers but no one seems to have a solution.

Any help is appreciated.

N & J

Tina and Shane
April 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
Your best bet is to put her in a seperate room when she is hungry and allow
her to eat small amounts a few times daily. Keep her food put up from the
other cat also.I've never heard of a cat feeder that will do that, but put
your suggestion in to a cat food company or something, I bet you could make
some $$ with it :)
"Nik Bedwell" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We have 2 cats, and unfortunately one will eat anything in either food
bowl.
> Our other cat is a little more fussy, only wanting to eat a little at a
> time. But of course when she comes back for 2nds all her food has been
eaten
> :(
>
> We've tried various ways to resolve this, but what would be perfect is an
> automatic feeder which detected which cat was there, only opening when
> necessary.
>
> We've seen catflaps that have a detector in the collar the cat wears, thus
> preventing any other cat entering - is there anything like this for
feeders
> ?
>
> I don't think there is, and we've checked with local pet shops, plus
phoned
> a couple of manufacturers but no one seems to have a solution.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> N & J

Tina and Shane
April 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
Your best bet is to put her in a seperate room when she is hungry and allow
her to eat small amounts a few times daily. Keep her food put up from the
other cat also.I've never heard of a cat feeder that will do that, but put
your suggestion in to a cat food company or something, I bet you could make
some $$ with it :)
"Nik Bedwell" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We have 2 cats, and unfortunately one will eat anything in either food
bowl.
> Our other cat is a little more fussy, only wanting to eat a little at a
> time. But of course when she comes back for 2nds all her food has been
eaten
> :(
>
> We've tried various ways to resolve this, but what would be perfect is an
> automatic feeder which detected which cat was there, only opening when
> necessary.
>
> We've seen catflaps that have a detector in the collar the cat wears, thus
> preventing any other cat entering - is there anything like this for
feeders
> ?
>
> I don't think there is, and we've checked with local pet shops, plus
phoned
> a couple of manufacturers but no one seems to have a solution.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> N & J

Bob Edwards
April 25th 04, 05:25 PM
"Nik Bedwell" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> We have 2 cats, and unfortunately one will eat anything in either food bowl.
> Our other cat is a little more fussy, only wanting to eat a little at a
> time. But of course when she comes back for 2nds all her food has been eaten
> :(

We had the same problem for years -- one of our cats self-regulated
her feeding, but the other one was a feline vacuum cleaner who would
eat anything that didn't try to eat her first, and keep at it until
the food was gone or she simply couldn't eat any more! We finally
found a high place in the kitchen that "vaccuum cat" couldn't reach
(or didn't believe she could reach), where we could leave the other
cat's food bowl out. Not ideal, but it worked. We fed them both on
the floor at mealtimes, of course, but the other cat likes to nibble a
bit, go away, come back, etc. I guess she figured having to climb for
her food was preferable to having none at all.

> We've tried various ways to resolve this, but what would be perfect is an
> automatic feeder which detected which cat was there, only opening when
> necessary.
>
> We've seen catflaps that have a detector in the collar the cat wears, thus
> preventing any other cat entering - is there anything like this for feeders
> ?

I was about ready to build a box, install one of these magnetic doors
on it, and put the other cat's food bowl inside. However, I don't
necessarily believe "vaccuum cleaner cat" wouldn't have figured out
that she could butt in while the other cat was entering or leaving!
You might try this approach, though, or if you have a pantry or other
closet you could use, install a magnetic door there.

> I don't think there is, and we've checked with local pet shops, plus phoned
> a couple of manufacturers but no one seems to have a solution.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> N & J

Bob Edwards
April 25th 04, 05:25 PM
"Nik Bedwell" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> We have 2 cats, and unfortunately one will eat anything in either food bowl.
> Our other cat is a little more fussy, only wanting to eat a little at a
> time. But of course when she comes back for 2nds all her food has been eaten
> :(

We had the same problem for years -- one of our cats self-regulated
her feeding, but the other one was a feline vacuum cleaner who would
eat anything that didn't try to eat her first, and keep at it until
the food was gone or she simply couldn't eat any more! We finally
found a high place in the kitchen that "vaccuum cat" couldn't reach
(or didn't believe she could reach), where we could leave the other
cat's food bowl out. Not ideal, but it worked. We fed them both on
the floor at mealtimes, of course, but the other cat likes to nibble a
bit, go away, come back, etc. I guess she figured having to climb for
her food was preferable to having none at all.

> We've tried various ways to resolve this, but what would be perfect is an
> automatic feeder which detected which cat was there, only opening when
> necessary.
>
> We've seen catflaps that have a detector in the collar the cat wears, thus
> preventing any other cat entering - is there anything like this for feeders
> ?

I was about ready to build a box, install one of these magnetic doors
on it, and put the other cat's food bowl inside. However, I don't
necessarily believe "vaccuum cleaner cat" wouldn't have figured out
that she could butt in while the other cat was entering or leaving!
You might try this approach, though, or if you have a pantry or other
closet you could use, install a magnetic door there.

> I don't think there is, and we've checked with local pet shops, plus phoned
> a couple of manufacturers but no one seems to have a solution.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> N & J

April 27th 04, 09:57 AM
If the cat that likes to eat too much is a lot fatter than
the other one then you can just put the food inside a box
with a small opening that the fat cat cannot get through.

But how do you make sure the fat cat doesn't get stuck
trying to get inside the box ?