PDA

View Full Version : Clicker Training..


Tiners
May 2nd 04, 06:29 AM
Hey

I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em

Tina =^..^=
----
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

Orchid
May 2nd 04, 02:31 PM
On Sun, 02 May 2004 05:29:43 GMT, "Tiners" > wrote:

>Hey
>
>I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
>cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
>to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em

There is a great Yahoo group called Cat-Clicker, and there is
a very good book/kit by Karen Pryor on clicker training called
"Getting Started: Clicker Training for Cats"



Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Orchid
May 2nd 04, 02:31 PM
On Sun, 02 May 2004 05:29:43 GMT, "Tiners" > wrote:

>Hey
>
>I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
>cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
>to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em

There is a great Yahoo group called Cat-Clicker, and there is
a very good book/kit by Karen Pryor on clicker training called
"Getting Started: Clicker Training for Cats"



Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

MaryL
May 2nd 04, 03:34 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.
>
>

The book Orchid mentioned is available from www.amazon.com. Enter "clicker
training" in their search box, and you will find a list of books, supplies,
videos, etc. -- all related to clicker training.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

MaryL
May 2nd 04, 03:34 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.
>
>

The book Orchid mentioned is available from www.amazon.com. Enter "clicker
training" in their search box, and you will find a list of books, supplies,
videos, etc. -- all related to clicker training.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Laura R.
May 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
circa Sun, 02 May 2004 05:29:43 GMT, in rec.pets.cats, Tiners
) said,
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.
>
>
>
http://www.clickertraining.com

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Laura R.
May 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
circa Sun, 02 May 2004 05:29:43 GMT, in rec.pets.cats, Tiners
) said,
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.
>
>
>
http://www.clickertraining.com

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Tiners
May 2nd 04, 09:01 PM
Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll have
to make it up or find something out. The lady at the Petsmart told me that
there was a women who clicker trained her birds. She wrote a book about it
too.. Weird... next you can clicker train your snake or your bunny or your
kids!

Tina


--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
> circa Sun, 02 May 2004 05:29:43 GMT, in rec.pets.cats, Tiners
> ) said,
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd
like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
> >
> > Tina =^..^=
> > ----
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
> >
> >
> >
> http://www.clickertraining.com
>
> Laura
> --
> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
> Your ass will be laminated.

Tiners
May 2nd 04, 09:01 PM
Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll have
to make it up or find something out. The lady at the Petsmart told me that
there was a women who clicker trained her birds. She wrote a book about it
too.. Weird... next you can clicker train your snake or your bunny or your
kids!

Tina


--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
> circa Sun, 02 May 2004 05:29:43 GMT, in rec.pets.cats, Tiners
> ) said,
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd
like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
> >
> > Tina =^..^=
> > ----
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
> >
> >
> >
> http://www.clickertraining.com
>
> Laura
> --
> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
> Your ass will be laminated.

James Marz
May 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.

I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
need to know who the boss is.

James Marz

James Marz
May 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.

I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
need to know who the boss is.

James Marz

Orchid
May 3rd 04, 01:45 PM
On Sun, 02 May 2004 20:01:47 GMT, "Tiners" > wrote:

>Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll have
>to make it up or find something out.

Well, there is the Yahoo group I suggested -- Cat-Clicker.



Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Orchid
May 3rd 04, 01:45 PM
On Sun, 02 May 2004 20:01:47 GMT, "Tiners" > wrote:

>Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll have
>to make it up or find something out.

Well, there is the Yahoo group I suggested -- Cat-Clicker.



Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

rpl
May 3rd 04, 05:54 PM
James Marz wrote:
> I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
> well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
> MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
> need to know who the boss is.

Bet the cat laughed its ass off when you slid across a BB on the floor
and fell on your butt.

A bit too rough, though, the cat would then avoid you as opposed to
trying to do what you say (this works fine if the command you're using
is "get the hell out").

Otherwise the trick to negative-reinforcement (if you believe in that)
and cats is to **** them off... take the cat off the kitchen counter
where it knows it shouldn't be and rub its fur the wrong way so it has
to spend 20 minutes putting all its hair back in place.


pat

rpl
May 3rd 04, 05:54 PM
James Marz wrote:
> I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
> well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
> MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
> need to know who the boss is.

Bet the cat laughed its ass off when you slid across a BB on the floor
and fell on your butt.

A bit too rough, though, the cat would then avoid you as opposed to
trying to do what you say (this works fine if the command you're using
is "get the hell out").

Otherwise the trick to negative-reinforcement (if you believe in that)
and cats is to **** them off... take the cat off the kitchen counter
where it knows it shouldn't be and rub its fur the wrong way so it has
to spend 20 minutes putting all its hair back in place.


pat

Tina Laitinen
May 3rd 04, 10:03 PM
(James Marz) wrote in message >...
> "Tiners" > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
> >
> > Tina =^..^=
> > ----
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
>
> I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
> well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
> MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
> need to know who the boss is.
>
> James Marz

Ouch! wouldn't that hurt the cat? My husband cries a lot when I shoot
him with the BB gun. But it is fun!

Tina

Tina Laitinen
May 3rd 04, 10:03 PM
(James Marz) wrote in message >...
> "Tiners" > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
> >
> > Tina =^..^=
> > ----
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
>
> I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
> well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
> MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
> need to know who the boss is.
>
> James Marz

Ouch! wouldn't that hurt the cat? My husband cries a lot when I shoot
him with the BB gun. But it is fun!

Tina

Tree Line
May 4th 04, 10:14 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message ers.com>...
> Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll have
> to make it up or find something out. The lady at the Petsmart told me that
> there was a women who clicker trained her birds. She wrote a book about it
> too.. Weird... next you can clicker train your snake or your bunny or your
> kids!
>
> Tina

Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.

Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my library, HOT DAMN!

Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.

I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have to mess
with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food, buy a
BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I noticed
the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too, the
spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.



> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.

Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
it leads one to think that one is thinking.

Tree Line
May 4th 04, 10:14 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message ers.com>...
> Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll have
> to make it up or find something out. The lady at the Petsmart told me that
> there was a women who clicker trained her birds. She wrote a book about it
> too.. Weird... next you can clicker train your snake or your bunny or your
> kids!
>
> Tina

Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.

Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my library, HOT DAMN!

Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.

I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have to mess
with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food, buy a
BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I noticed
the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too, the
spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.



> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.

Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
it leads one to think that one is thinking.

Mmhsb
May 5th 04, 02:16 AM
"Tiners" > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.

They are really good at clicker traing cats at 10th life. Maybe you
would consider taking your cats there Tina.

Maria

Mmhsb
May 5th 04, 02:16 AM
"Tiners" > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> Tina =^..^=
> ----
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> I think that I think,
> therefore I think that I am.

They are really good at clicker traing cats at 10th life. Maybe you
would consider taking your cats there Tina.

Maria

Tiners
May 5th 04, 02:57 AM
"Mmhsb" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tiners" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com>...
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd
like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
> >
> > Tina =^..^=
> > ----
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
>
> They are really good at clicker traing cats at 10th life. Maybe you
> would consider taking your cats there Tina.
>
> Maria

Well i could but that would probably cost me an arm and leg conisdering it's
probably somewhere in the states or europe and I'm in Canada. So .. I don't
really have the money's to travel. So 10th life it isn't.

Tina

Tiners
May 5th 04, 02:57 AM
"Mmhsb" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tiners" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com>...
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd
like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
> >
> > Tina =^..^=
> > ----
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
>
> They are really good at clicker traing cats at 10th life. Maybe you
> would consider taking your cats there Tina.
>
> Maria

Well i could but that would probably cost me an arm and leg conisdering it's
probably somewhere in the states or europe and I'm in Canada. So .. I don't
really have the money's to travel. So 10th life it isn't.

Tina

Tiners
May 5th 04, 02:58 AM
"Tree Line" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tiners" > wrote in message
ers.com>...
> > Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll
have
> > to make it up or find something out. The lady at the Petsmart told me
that
> > there was a women who clicker trained her birds. She wrote a book about
it
> > too.. Weird... next you can clicker train your snake or your bunny or
your
> > kids!
> >
> > Tina
>
> Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
> but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
> but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.
>
> Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
> a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my library,
HOT DAMN!
>
> Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
> info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.
>
> I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have to
mess
> with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food, buy a
> BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I noticed
> the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too, the
> spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.
>
>
>
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
>
> Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
> might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
> it leads one to think that one is thinking.

Hehe I love that e-mail signature. I don't speak Latin myself. All I know
is what I read and your explaination sounds better than mine. Must be a
philsopy major. I only got a certificate in Customer Service.

Tina

--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

Tiners
May 5th 04, 02:58 AM
"Tree Line" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tiners" > wrote in message
ers.com>...
> > Thanks! I was looking for something free thought.. hehe.. I guess I'll
have
> > to make it up or find something out. The lady at the Petsmart told me
that
> > there was a women who clicker trained her birds. She wrote a book about
it
> > too.. Weird... next you can clicker train your snake or your bunny or
your
> > kids!
> >
> > Tina
>
> Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
> but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
> but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.
>
> Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
> a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my library,
HOT DAMN!
>
> Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
> info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.
>
> I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have to
mess
> with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food, buy a
> BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I noticed
> the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too, the
> spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.
>
>
>
> > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > I think that I think,
> > therefore I think that I am.
>
> Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
> might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
> it leads one to think that one is thinking.

Hehe I love that e-mail signature. I don't speak Latin myself. All I know
is what I read and your explaination sounds better than mine. Must be a
philsopy major. I only got a certificate in Customer Service.

Tina

--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

Tree Line
May 5th 04, 01:53 PM
> > Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
> > but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
> > but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.
> >
> > Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
> > a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my library,
> HOT DAMN!
> >
> > Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
> > info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.
> >
> > I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have to
> mess
> > with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food, buy a
> > BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I noticed
> > the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too, the
> > spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.
> >
> >
> >
> > > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > > I think that I think,
> > > therefore I think that I am.
> >
> > Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
> > might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
> > it leads one to think that one is thinking.
>
> Hehe I love that e-mail signature. I don't speak Latin myself. All I know
> is what I read and your explaination sounds better than mine. Must be a
> philsopy major. I only got a certificate in Customer Service.
>
> Tina

Thanks for the compliment and there is a bit of truth there that I
studied both philosophy and Latin originally. But customer service
sounds so sexy - if they let you out of the cubicle.

I liked your improvement over Descartes who only had Cogito ergo sum
which probably means: Having thought, therefore, I am (exist). Oops,
here comes my cat, time to feed her. She's trilling. Gotta go.

Tree Line
May 5th 04, 01:53 PM
> > Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
> > but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
> > but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.
> >
> > Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
> > a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my library,
> HOT DAMN!
> >
> > Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
> > info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.
> >
> > I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have to
> mess
> > with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food, buy a
> > BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I noticed
> > the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too, the
> > spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.
> >
> >
> >
> > > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > > I think that I think,
> > > therefore I think that I am.
> >
> > Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
> > might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
> > it leads one to think that one is thinking.
>
> Hehe I love that e-mail signature. I don't speak Latin myself. All I know
> is what I read and your explaination sounds better than mine. Must be a
> philsopy major. I only got a certificate in Customer Service.
>
> Tina

Thanks for the compliment and there is a bit of truth there that I
studied both philosophy and Latin originally. But customer service
sounds so sexy - if they let you out of the cubicle.

I liked your improvement over Descartes who only had Cogito ergo sum
which probably means: Having thought, therefore, I am (exist). Oops,
here comes my cat, time to feed her. She's trilling. Gotta go.

Leigh Bain
May 5th 04, 07:49 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em

I think that might have been me. I'm not the expert on this my husband knows
MUCH more about this so when he gets off work 2:30 PST I'll ask him about it
and then post when he knows. From what I know is that the clicker is used
and then a treat is given when the training is done properly? I can't
recall. I'll ask my husband. Someone mentioned the Yahoo group they can
probably give you a lot more help then I can :)

Good luck with the clicker training. It wasn't successful for me, I have
very stubborn cats. They looked at me "Are you crazy? You want me to do
what? You do it. I'm taking a nap."

- Leigh :)

Leigh Bain
May 5th 04, 07:49 PM
"Tiners" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> Hey
>
> I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd like
> to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em

I think that might have been me. I'm not the expert on this my husband knows
MUCH more about this so when he gets off work 2:30 PST I'll ask him about it
and then post when he knows. From what I know is that the clicker is used
and then a treat is given when the training is done properly? I can't
recall. I'll ask my husband. Someone mentioned the Yahoo group they can
probably give you a lot more help then I can :)

Good luck with the clicker training. It wasn't successful for me, I have
very stubborn cats. They looked at me "Are you crazy? You want me to do
what? You do it. I'm taking a nap."

- Leigh :)

Tiners
May 5th 04, 11:52 PM
"Tree Line" > wrote in message
om...
> > > Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
> > > but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
> > > but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.
> > >
> > > Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
> > > a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my
library,
> > HOT DAMN!
> > >
> > > Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
> > > info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.
> > >
> > > I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have
to
> > mess
> > > with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food,
buy a
> > > BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I
noticed
> > > the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too,
the
> > > spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > > > I think that I think,
> > > > therefore I think that I am.
> > >
> > > Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
> > > might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
> > > it leads one to think that one is thinking.
> >
> > Hehe I love that e-mail signature. I don't speak Latin myself. All I
know
> > is what I read and your explaination sounds better than mine. Must be a
> > philsopy major. I only got a certificate in Customer Service.
> >
> > Tina
>
> Thanks for the compliment and there is a bit of truth there that I
> studied both philosophy and Latin originally. But customer service
> sounds so sexy - if they let you out of the cubicle.
>
> I liked your improvement over Descartes who only had Cogito ergo sum
> which probably means: Having thought, therefore, I am (exist). Oops,
> here comes my cat, time to feed her. She's trilling. Gotta go.

No Cubicle no more!! heh I got outta that raquet a year ago. I've been
workin in retail ever since and I love it. I love the people I work with.
I love the customers!! Even though their mostly contractors. I work for the
best damn Home Improvment company out there. I'm quite happy. The company
I used to work for sucked big time!! Lot's of people in cliches who if you
weren't part of the cliches you weren't promoted. As they say it's not who
you know it's who you well you get the picture.

Tina

--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

Tiners
May 5th 04, 11:52 PM
"Tree Line" > wrote in message
om...
> > > Ah, free. Well, I tried to get some info from clickertraining.com,
> > > but I think she was off doing seminars. I wanted to go to her seminar
> > > but they were many hundreds of dollars, alas.
> > >
> > > Finally, got tired of waiting for a reply for an email about sending
> > > a check so just borrowed the book, brand new and unused, from my
library,
> > HOT DAMN!
> > >
> > > Lots of good info she has in her book, Karen Pryor. Others have some
> > > info too. Wendy Jeffries has info in her Yahoo clicker cat group.
> > >
> > > I find it does work. Fortunately my cat likes kibble so I don't have
to
> > mess
> > > with the spoon and wet food or fingers. CAUTION, if using wet food,
buy a
> > > BABY SPOON so your cat in its eagerness does not break a tooth. I
noticed
> > > the professional trainers using the very soft baby spoons, cute too,
the
> > > spoons and the trainers. Very Friskies oriented, he-he.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> > > > I think that I think,
> > > > therefore I think that I am.
> > >
> > > Someone is doing a lot of cogitation, lately, but Descartes
> > > might be wrong. Thinking is not always thinking although
> > > it leads one to think that one is thinking.
> >
> > Hehe I love that e-mail signature. I don't speak Latin myself. All I
know
> > is what I read and your explaination sounds better than mine. Must be a
> > philsopy major. I only got a certificate in Customer Service.
> >
> > Tina
>
> Thanks for the compliment and there is a bit of truth there that I
> studied both philosophy and Latin originally. But customer service
> sounds so sexy - if they let you out of the cubicle.
>
> I liked your improvement over Descartes who only had Cogito ergo sum
> which probably means: Having thought, therefore, I am (exist). Oops,
> here comes my cat, time to feed her. She's trilling. Gotta go.

No Cubicle no more!! heh I got outta that raquet a year ago. I've been
workin in retail ever since and I love it. I love the people I work with.
I love the customers!! Even though their mostly contractors. I work for the
best damn Home Improvment company out there. I'm quite happy. The company
I used to work for sucked big time!! Lot's of people in cliches who if you
weren't part of the cliches you weren't promoted. As they say it's not who
you know it's who you well you get the picture.

Tina

--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

Tiners
May 5th 04, 11:54 PM
"Leigh Bain" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Tiners" > wrote in message
> et.cable.rogers.com...
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd
like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> I think that might have been me. I'm not the expert on this my husband
knows
> MUCH more about this so when he gets off work 2:30 PST I'll ask him about
it
> and then post when he knows. From what I know is that the clicker is used
> and then a treat is given when the training is done properly? I can't
> recall. I'll ask my husband. Someone mentioned the Yahoo group they can
> probably give you a lot more help then I can :)
>
> Good luck with the clicker training. It wasn't successful for me, I have
> very stubborn cats. They looked at me "Are you crazy? You want me to do
> what? You do it. I'm taking a nap."
>
> - Leigh :)


It's not going to well but I keep trying. I had one he was able to sit on
command but since we got a companion for him he gives me the are you crazy
look. I should try wet kitty food. They like that.. I'll keep trying and
keep you posted!! Thanks!!

Tina

--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

Tiners
May 5th 04, 11:54 PM
"Leigh Bain" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Tiners" > wrote in message
> et.cable.rogers.com...
> > Hey
> >
> > I bought a clicker today and I wanted to know how you clicker train your
> > cat. Someone here or on another newsgroup posted how you do it. I'd
like
> > to find out. Mine sure are bored and I'd love to clicker train em
>
> I think that might have been me. I'm not the expert on this my husband
knows
> MUCH more about this so when he gets off work 2:30 PST I'll ask him about
it
> and then post when he knows. From what I know is that the clicker is used
> and then a treat is given when the training is done properly? I can't
> recall. I'll ask my husband. Someone mentioned the Yahoo group they can
> probably give you a lot more help then I can :)
>
> Good luck with the clicker training. It wasn't successful for me, I have
> very stubborn cats. They looked at me "Are you crazy? You want me to do
> what? You do it. I'm taking a nap."
>
> - Leigh :)


It's not going to well but I keep trying. I had one he was able to sit on
command but since we got a companion for him he gives me the are you crazy
look. I should try wet kitty food. They like that.. I'll keep trying and
keep you posted!! Thanks!!

Tina

--
---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think,
therefore I think that I am.

James Marz
May 6th 04, 05:46 PM
rpl > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> James Marz wrote:
> > I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
> > well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
> > MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
> > need to know who the boss is.
>
> Bet the cat laughed its ass off when you slid across a BB on the floor
> and fell on your butt.
>
> A bit too rough, though, the cat would then avoid you as opposed to
> trying to do what you say (this works fine if the command you're using
> is "get the hell out").
>
> Otherwise the trick to negative-reinforcement (if you believe in that)
> and cats is to **** them off... take the cat off the kitchen counter
> where it knows it shouldn't be and rub its fur the wrong way so it has
> to spend 20 minutes putting all its hair back in place.
>
>
> pat

Messing a cats fur up really does irritate them, but shaving a bald
spot on top of their head, right between the ears really gets them
going. But don't try this if you have more than one cat because the
other cats will want to be done that way too. Cats just hate it if one
cat gets all the special attention.

James Marz

James Marz
May 6th 04, 05:46 PM
rpl > wrote in message ble.rogers.com>...
> James Marz wrote:
> > I don't know about clickers, but I do know that a BB gun works very
> > well in cat training. They learn very quickly to listen to me or *pop*
> > MREEOOOOWWWWWWRRRREEEOOOOW. A clicker just aggravates the cats they
> > need to know who the boss is.
>
> Bet the cat laughed its ass off when you slid across a BB on the floor
> and fell on your butt.
>
> A bit too rough, though, the cat would then avoid you as opposed to
> trying to do what you say (this works fine if the command you're using
> is "get the hell out").
>
> Otherwise the trick to negative-reinforcement (if you believe in that)
> and cats is to **** them off... take the cat off the kitchen counter
> where it knows it shouldn't be and rub its fur the wrong way so it has
> to spend 20 minutes putting all its hair back in place.
>
>
> pat

Messing a cats fur up really does irritate them, but shaving a bald
spot on top of their head, right between the ears really gets them
going. But don't try this if you have more than one cat because the
other cats will want to be done that way too. Cats just hate it if one
cat gets all the special attention.

James Marz