PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - taking 2 week-old kittens to vet

Rhonda
May 3rd 04, 07:45 PM
Was just wondering the best way to get 2 (out of litter of five) 2 week
old kittens to the vet. These two have eye infections, their eyes have
just opened.

We're leaving for the vet's in about 4 hours, and was hoping someone has
done this before.

Should we take all, plus the mother? It would be a bit cramped in the
carrier, but I trust mom would know not to sit on them.

If we just take the two, what are the chances of mom rejecting them when
we return, because they would smell different?

Thanks!

Rhonda

MaryL
May 3rd 04, 11:39 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Was just wondering the best way to get 2 (out of litter of five) 2 week
> old kittens to the vet. These two have eye infections, their eyes have
> just opened.
>
> We're leaving for the vet's in about 4 hours, and was hoping someone has
> done this before.
>
> Should we take all, plus the mother? It would be a bit cramped in the
> carrier, but I trust mom would know not to sit on them.
>
> If we just take the two, what are the chances of mom rejecting them when
> we return, because they would smell different?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rhonda

I would take all of them. If the eye infections are contagious, all will
need to be treated. I'm not sure about the size of the carrier because I
haven't had any experience with small kittens. Would it be feasible to take
mama in the carrier and the kittens in a very sturdy box (placed close to
the carrier in the car)?

MaryL

MaryL
May 3rd 04, 11:39 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Was just wondering the best way to get 2 (out of litter of five) 2 week
> old kittens to the vet. These two have eye infections, their eyes have
> just opened.
>
> We're leaving for the vet's in about 4 hours, and was hoping someone has
> done this before.
>
> Should we take all, plus the mother? It would be a bit cramped in the
> carrier, but I trust mom would know not to sit on them.
>
> If we just take the two, what are the chances of mom rejecting them when
> we return, because they would smell different?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rhonda

I would take all of them. If the eye infections are contagious, all will
need to be treated. I'm not sure about the size of the carrier because I
haven't had any experience with small kittens. Would it be feasible to take
mama in the carrier and the kittens in a very sturdy box (placed close to
the carrier in the car)?

MaryL

Rhonda
May 4th 04, 03:43 AM
Thanks for answering.

We talked to the vet again, and she prescribed eye drops. If the kittens
aren't showing improvement soon, we'll haul their furry little rears in!

Rhonda