PDA

View Full Version : Intruding cats

Mikoangelo
May 8th 04, 09:28 AM
Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the grounds?

--
Mikoangelo - webmaster of
http://harrypotter.lk-data.net

Ted Davis
May 8th 04, 05:43 PM
On 08 May 2004 08:28:25 GMT, Mikoangelo >
wrote:

>Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the grounds?

Large. cat hating, dogs.

I have a dozen cats and had to get two large dogs to control the
opossums that were coming inside to eat the cats' food. the dogs are
confined to the back yard, and the cats now avoid it except for a
quick run from the cat flap to an area within the field of the radio
fence where the dogs will not go. I no longer get visits from the
neighborhood feral cats.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

wrote:

>Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the grounds?

Large. cat hating, dogs.

I have a dozen cats and had to get two large dogs to control the
opossums that were coming inside to eat the cats' food. the dogs are
confined to the back yard, and the cats now avoid it except for a
quick run from the cat flap to an area within the field of the radio
fence where the dogs will not go. I no longer get visits from the
neighborhood feral cats.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Mikael Skade Høilund
May 8th 04, 06:48 PM
Ted Davis > skrev:

> On 08 May 2004 08:28:25 GMT, Mikoangelo >
> wrote:
>
>>Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the
>>grounds?
>
> Large. cat hating, dogs.
>
> I have a dozen cats and had to get two large dogs to control the
> opossums that were coming inside to eat the cats' food. the dogs
> are confined to the back yard, and the cats now avoid it except
> for a quick run from the cat flap to an area within the field of
> the radio fence where the dogs will not go. I no longer get
> visits from the neighborhood feral cats.
>

> T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D."
> or my .sig in the body)

Is there another way, that won't threaten my Guinea Pigs, and that i
don't have to use a lot of money and time on?

And what does T.E.D. mean?

-- Mikoangelo - webmaster of
http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
Scrambled email (ROT-13):

Mikael Skade Høilund
May 8th 04, 06:48 PM
Ted Davis > skrev:

> On 08 May 2004 08:28:25 GMT, Mikoangelo >
> wrote:
>
>>Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the
>>grounds?
>
> Large. cat hating, dogs.
>
> I have a dozen cats and had to get two large dogs to control the
> opossums that were coming inside to eat the cats' food. the dogs
> are confined to the back yard, and the cats now avoid it except
> for a quick run from the cat flap to an area within the field of
> the radio fence where the dogs will not go. I no longer get
> visits from the neighborhood feral cats.
>

> T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D."
> or my .sig in the body)

Is there another way, that won't threaten my Guinea Pigs, and that i
don't have to use a lot of money and time on?

And what does T.E.D. mean?

-- Mikoangelo - webmaster of
http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
Scrambled email (ROT-13):

Ted Davis
May 9th 04, 02:56 AM
On 08 May 2004 17:48:17 GMT, "Mikael Skade Høilund"
> wrote:

>Ted Davis > skrev:
>
>> On 08 May 2004 08:28:25 GMT, Mikoangelo >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the
>>>grounds?
>>
>> Large. cat hating, dogs.
>>
>> I have a dozen cats and had to get two large dogs to control the
>> opossums that were coming inside to eat the cats' food. the dogs
>> are confined to the back yard, and the cats now avoid it except
>> for a quick run from the cat flap to an area within the field of
>> the radio fence where the dogs will not go. I no longer get
>> visits from the neighborhood feral cats.
>>

>> T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D."
>> or my .sig in the body)
>
>Is there another way, that won't threaten my Guinea Pigs, and that i
>don't have to use a lot of money and time on?
>
>And what does T.E.D. mean?

If you let the guinea pigs out, you really have a problem. If you let
the dogs in, they won't help the stray cat problem.

Dogs can be expensive - no doubt about that. I spent close to $1000
just setting up for them - radio fence, tie outs, dog house, etc.
They - with some unwanted help from a dog from across the street - eat
several times as much as the cats do.

"T.E.D." is my chop - it is both my name and my initials.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Ted Davis
May 9th 04, 02:56 AM
On 08 May 2004 17:48:17 GMT, "Mikael Skade Høilund"
> wrote:

>Ted Davis > skrev:
>
>> On 08 May 2004 08:28:25 GMT, Mikoangelo >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the
>>>grounds?
>>
>> Large. cat hating, dogs.
>>
>> I have a dozen cats and had to get two large dogs to control the
>> opossums that were coming inside to eat the cats' food. the dogs
>> are confined to the back yard, and the cats now avoid it except
>> for a quick run from the cat flap to an area within the field of
>> the radio fence where the dogs will not go. I no longer get
>> visits from the neighborhood feral cats.
>>

>> T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D."
>> or my .sig in the body)
>
>Is there another way, that won't threaten my Guinea Pigs, and that i
>don't have to use a lot of money and time on?
>
>And what does T.E.D. mean?

If you let the guinea pigs out, you really have a problem. If you let
the dogs in, they won't help the stray cat problem.

Dogs can be expensive - no doubt about that. I spent close to $1000
just setting up for them - radio fence, tie outs, dog house, etc.
They - with some unwanted help from a dog from across the street - eat
several times as much as the cats do.

"T.E.D." is my chop - it is both my name and my initials.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Mikoangelo
May 9th 04, 10:03 AM
I was just wondering if there were some kind of chemical or
something like salt or some vegetables or something like that you
could lay around the house, and then the cats won't like to go in.

--
Mikoangelo - webmaster of
http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
Scrambled email (ROT-13):

Mikoangelo
May 9th 04, 10:03 AM
I was just wondering if there were some kind of chemical or
something like salt or some vegetables or something like that you
could lay around the house, and then the cats won't like to go in.

--
Mikoangelo - webmaster of
http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
Scrambled email (ROT-13):

MaryL
May 9th 04, 11:22 AM
"Mikoangelo" > wrote in message
37.193...
> Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the grounds?
>
> --
> Mikoangelo - webmaster of
> http://harrypotter.lk-data.net

I don't know the layout of your property. However, this motion-activated
sprinkler might help if there is some way to set it up around the perimeter
where intruders would activate it but where your guinea pigs would
not.http://www.biconet.com/critter/sprinkler.html

MaryL

MaryL
May 9th 04, 11:22 AM
"Mikoangelo" > wrote in message
37.193...
> Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the grounds?
>
> --
> Mikoangelo - webmaster of
> http://harrypotter.lk-data.net

I don't know the layout of your property. However, this motion-activated
sprinkler might help if there is some way to set it up around the perimeter
where intruders would activate it but where your guinea pigs would
not.http://www.biconet.com/critter/sprinkler.html

MaryL

Mikoangelo
May 9th 04, 03:23 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
:

> "Mikoangelo" > wrote in message
> 37.193...
>> Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the
>> grounds?
>>
>> -- Mikoangelo - webmaster of http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
>

> I don't know the layout of your property. However, this
> motion-activated sprinkler might help if there is some way to set
> it up around the perimeter where intruders would activate it but
> where your guinea pigs would
> not.http://www.biconet.com/critter/sprinkler.html
>
> MaryL

Good Idea. I'll try that.
Thanks.

--
Mikoangelo - webmaster of
http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
Scrambled email (ROT-13):

Mikoangelo
May 9th 04, 03:23 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
:

> "Mikoangelo" > wrote in message
> 37.193...
>> Is there anyone who knows a good tip to keeping cats of the
>> grounds?
>>
>> -- Mikoangelo - webmaster of http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
>

> I don't know the layout of your property. However, this
> motion-activated sprinkler might help if there is some way to set
> it up around the perimeter where intruders would activate it but
> where your guinea pigs would
> not.http://www.biconet.com/critter/sprinkler.html
>
> MaryL

Good Idea. I'll try that.
Thanks.

--
Mikoangelo - webmaster of
http://harrypotter.lk-data.net
Scrambled email (ROT-13):

Ted Davis
May 9th 04, 06:35 PM
On 09 May 2004 09:03:54 GMT, Mikoangelo >
wrote:

>I was just wondering if there were some kind of chemical or
>something like salt or some vegetables or something like that you
>could lay around the house, and then the cats won't like to go in.

Predator pheromones are available, and they are supposed to dislike
one of the citrus scents - lemon I think. Something like that might
be usable in an arid climate.

About 35 years ago, I bought some green plastic things that were to be
tied to the shrubs to keep cats from using the flower beds as litter
pans - they continuously released an odor - lemon, I think. There was
also a dog version. They didn't work all that well and I haven't seen
them since. About 20 years ago, I bought a product in a spray can
called "Indoor No" that was supposed to keep cats off the furniture -
there was also an outdoor version. It didn't work all that well. I
haven't seen it since either.