PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought please - cat introductions

RMC
May 15th 04, 01:17 AM
x-posted to rec.pets.cats.community, rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
rec.pets.cats.misc

Hello All

We have a female cat (Tails) who is approx 11 years old. She is very shy
cat, but very terratorial. Any cat that enters our garden is soon seen off
by her.
My next door neigbour also has a cat (Stan). He is a very loving cat who is
often out and about and is very friendly towards us (approx 1 year old).
Stan is going to be rehomed as his owner isn't around very much and needs to
find a home where Stan has more company. My partner and I would like to
adopt Stan,but want to know the best way to introduce Tails and Stan
together to see if they can become 'friends'.
Tails hasn't always been on her own. When I got her she had her son Caffery
with her. (Unfortunalty some ******* put a shot gun pellet into him several
years ago and he didn't survive).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we go about this or whether we are
likely to be successful.

Regards

Jane and Richard

Karen Chuplis
May 15th 04, 01:29 AM
in article , RMC at
wrote on 5/14/04 7:17 PM:

> x-posted to rec.pets.cats.community, rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
> rec.pets.cats.misc
>
> Hello All
>
> We have a female cat (Tails) who is approx 11 years old. She is very shy
> cat, but very terratorial. Any cat that enters our garden is soon seen off
> by her.
> My next door neigbour also has a cat (Stan). He is a very loving cat who is
> often out and about and is very friendly towards us (approx 1 year old).
> Stan is going to be rehomed as his owner isn't around very much and needs to
> find a home where Stan has more company. My partner and I would like to
> adopt Stan,but want to know the best way to introduce Tails and Stan
> together to see if they can become 'friends'.
> Tails hasn't always been on her own. When I got her she had her son Caffery
> with her. (Unfortunalty some ******* put a shot gun pellet into him several
> years ago and he didn't survive).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how we go about this or whether we are
> likely to be successful.
>
> Regards
>

> Jane and Richard

Since she has been used to seeing Stan, I think its a good idea. How does
she react to him outside? I think it's more difficult to do introductions
with indoor outdoor cats in a way, but overall, I'd just follow the same as
any. Make Stan a room all his own that he can stay in. Toys, a window, food
and litterbox. Alternate letting him out and putting Tails in the room so
they get used to each others smells. Gradually begin letting them see each
other and then interacting. At signs of agression, separate them. Give Tails
lots of attention in front of Stan. Give him attention in his room. I'm sure
others may have good ideas too. I found that adding a Feliway dispenser in
the main room really helps.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
May 15th 04, 01:29 AM