PDA

View Full Version : closed bowl for kittens that forbids adults from eating

Christian Fecteau
May 22nd 04, 08:15 PM
I have 2 Siamese. A kitten and an adult. They have different food and
the adult prefers the kitten's.

I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

GovtLawyer
May 22nd 04, 11:25 PM
>I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
>has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
>heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

GovtLawyer
May 22nd 04, 11:25 PM
>I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
>has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
>heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

MaryL
May 23rd 04, 01:36 AM
"Christian Fecteau" > wrote in message
om...
> I have 2 Siamese. A kitten and an adult. They have different food and
> the adult prefers the kitten's.
>
> I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
> has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
> heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

There has been a similar thread this week on rec.pets.cats.health+behav. I
have never heard of a commercial product such as what you described, but an
answer provided by GovtLawyer in health+behav might help in your situation.
He described using a cardboard box with holes cut in the side. The holes
are large enough for the smaller cat to enter but not for the larger cat to
enter. Here is part of his answer: "...Instead of turning the box
upside-down I stuck adhesive backed Velcro on the 'flaps' so it opens up to
put the food in and do a periodic cleaning. ...I also cut a small window in
the side so he could see what he was eating. It's been working well for the
last 6 months or so." He said that he had to use Velcro under the bowl so
the larger cat could not reach through the hole and pull the bowl over to
the entry hole.

MaryL

MaryL
May 23rd 04, 01:36 AM
"Christian Fecteau" > wrote in message
om...
> I have 2 Siamese. A kitten and an adult. They have different food and
> the adult prefers the kitten's.
>
> I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
> has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
> heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

There has been a similar thread this week on rec.pets.cats.health+behav. I
have never heard of a commercial product such as what you described, but an
answer provided by GovtLawyer in health+behav might help in your situation.
He described using a cardboard box with holes cut in the side. The holes
are large enough for the smaller cat to enter but not for the larger cat to
enter. Here is part of his answer: "...Instead of turning the box
upside-down I stuck adhesive backed Velcro on the 'flaps' so it opens up to
put the food in and do a periodic cleaning. ...I also cut a small window in
the side so he could see what he was eating. It's been working well for the
last 6 months or so." He said that he had to use Velcro under the bowl so
the larger cat could not reach through the hole and pull the bowl over to
the entry hole.

MaryL

MaryL
May 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
"GovtLawyer" > wrote in message
> >I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
> >has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
> >heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?
>
> You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

Oops, I just posted a response -- and now I see that I was quoting *you.*
Well, as you can see, I think you provided an excellent solution in the
health+behav newsgroup.

MaryL

MaryL
May 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
"GovtLawyer" > wrote in message
> >I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
> >has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
> >heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?
>
> You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

Oops, I just posted a response -- and now I see that I was quoting *you.*
Well, as you can see, I think you provided an excellent solution in the
health+behav newsgroup.

MaryL

Christian Fecteau
May 23rd 04, 07:43 AM
(GovtLawyer) wrote in message >...
> You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

I had this idea 2 days ago. I thought the hole was small enough, but
to my surprise, the mother was able to enter. So I managed to reduce
the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
motivated to enter.

Siamese are very slim. I guess I'll have to come up with the exact
size for the hole so that the kitten will enter and the mother won't.
The difference is almost in milimeters here. I'll try until I find the
right size...

Thanks.

Here they are:
http://www.cfect.echoechoplus.com/maia/

Christian Fecteau
May 23rd 04, 07:43 AM
(GovtLawyer) wrote in message >...
> You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

I had this idea 2 days ago. I thought the hole was small enough, but
to my surprise, the mother was able to enter. So I managed to reduce
the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
motivated to enter.

Siamese are very slim. I guess I'll have to come up with the exact
size for the hole so that the kitten will enter and the mother won't.
The difference is almost in milimeters here. I'll try until I find the
right size...

Thanks.

Here they are:
http://www.cfect.echoechoplus.com/maia/

GovtLawyer
May 23rd 04, 03:12 PM
> So I managed to reduce
>the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
>too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
>motivated to enter.

Is there somethin inside that's very alluring? I imagine that if the prize
inside was worthwhile, she would love it in there.
Your kitties are beautiful. Take a look at Mickey & Daisy.

http://hometown.aol.com/borninthebronx/index.html

GovtLawyer
May 23rd 04, 03:12 PM
> So I managed to reduce
>the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
>too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
>motivated to enter.

Is there somethin inside that's very alluring? I imagine that if the prize
inside was worthwhile, she would love it in there.
Your kitties are beautiful. Take a look at Mickey & Daisy.

http://hometown.aol.com/borninthebronx/index.html

MaryL
May 23rd 04, 05:00 PM
"GovtLawyer" > wrote in message
> > So I managed to reduce
> >the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
> >too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
> >motivated to enter.
>
> Is there somethin inside that's very alluring? I imagine that if the
prize
> inside was worthwhile, she would love it in there.
> Your kitties are beautiful. Take a look at Mickey & Daisy.
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/borninthebronx/index.html

Beautiful cats with lovely, inquisitive-looking faces. They look like they
could be the models for the cats in "The Cat Who..." books.

MaryL

MaryL
May 23rd 04, 05:00 PM
"GovtLawyer" > wrote in message
> > So I managed to reduce
> >the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
> >too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
> >motivated to enter.
>
> Is there somethin inside that's very alluring? I imagine that if the
prize
> inside was worthwhile, she would love it in there.
> Your kitties are beautiful. Take a look at Mickey & Daisy.
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/borninthebronx/index.html

Beautiful cats with lovely, inquisitive-looking faces. They look like they
could be the models for the cats in "The Cat Who..." books.

MaryL

Christian Fecteau
May 23rd 04, 08:47 PM
(GovtLawyer) wrote in message >...
> Is there somethin inside that's very alluring?

Well, I didn't make a window, so it's dark. And I give them dry food,
so the odor doesn't attract her, just the hunger... I'll think of
something.

> Your kitties are beautiful.

Yours too. It's too bad that you downsize big beautiful photos with
HTML. Why don't you put anchors with links to the images? There you
go:
http://www.cfect.echoechoplus.com/anchors.zip

Christian Fecteau
May 23rd 04, 08:47 PM
(GovtLawyer) wrote in message >...
> Is there somethin inside that's very alluring?

Well, I didn't make a window, so it's dark. And I give them dry food,
so the odor doesn't attract her, just the hunger... I'll think of
something.

> Your kitties are beautiful.

Yours too. It's too bad that you downsize big beautiful photos with
HTML. Why don't you put anchors with links to the images? There you
go:
http://www.cfect.echoechoplus.com/anchors.zip

Cheryl
May 23rd 04, 10:52 PM
(Christian Fecteau) dumped this in
om on 23 May 2004:

> (GovtLawyer) wrote in message
>> You can make your own out of a cardboard box.
>
> I had this idea 2 days ago. I thought the hole was small enough, but
> to my surprise, the mother was able to enter. So I managed to reduce
> the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
> too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
> motivated to enter.
>
> Siamese are very slim. I guess I'll have to come up with the exact
> size for the hole so that the kitten will enter and the mother won't.
> The difference is almost in milimeters here. I'll try until I find the
> right size...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Here they are:
> http://www.cfect.echoechoplus.com/maia/

Sooooooo cute! Maybe their afraid of the dark place where mama can't go.

--
Cheryl