PDA

View Full Version : Which litter an tray is best

Rach
May 24th 04, 09:37 AM
Hi every1,
I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.

AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?

I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).

Any thoughts will be a great help

Rach

Lacey
May 24th 04, 10:05 AM
I bought something at walmart that has a sifting tray in it. I like that
over any other litter pan, mainly cuz it has 4 pieces and was 10 bucks. I
like arm and hammer cat litter cuz they have flushable litter

"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter
(clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
> Any thoughts will be a great help
>
> Rach

Kristine Kochanski
May 24th 04, 12:06 PM
On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:37:04 +0100, "Rach"
> wrote:

>Hi every1,
>I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
>wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
>AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
>I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
>Any thoughts will be a great help

It's really just a matter of choice. I never liked the clay/fullers
earth type, I found it messy (little bits all over their paws then
dragged through the carpet!) and I seemed to go through an awful lot
of it. I prefer the pine-scented wood pellets - they turn to powder
when wet but it can easily be scooped out of with a large spoon. I've
never tried the silica though I imagine this to be quite expensive (?)

So, really, I don't know if any one is 'better', it's just a case of
personal preference. Perhaps find out what your kitten has been using
in his previous home?

Tray wise, my favourite is just a deep plastic storage/toy crate. The
cats like a bit of privacy (also like the idea of the hooded ones with
carbon filter but might be difficult to persuade a nervous kitty to
enter one). When I've used shallow litter trays the litter was always
kicked all over the place!

Kristine Kochanski
May 24th 04, 12:06 PM
On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:37:04 +0100, "Rach"
> wrote:

>Hi every1,
>I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
>wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
>AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
>I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
>Any thoughts will be a great help

It's really just a matter of choice. I never liked the clay/fullers
earth type, I found it messy (little bits all over their paws then
dragged through the carpet!) and I seemed to go through an awful lot
of it. I prefer the pine-scented wood pellets - they turn to powder
when wet but it can easily be scooped out of with a large spoon. I've
never tried the silica though I imagine this to be quite expensive (?)

So, really, I don't know if any one is 'better', it's just a case of
personal preference. Perhaps find out what your kitten has been using
in his previous home?

Tray wise, my favourite is just a deep plastic storage/toy crate. The
cats like a bit of privacy (also like the idea of the hooded ones with
carbon filter but might be difficult to persuade a nervous kitty to
enter one). When I've used shallow litter trays the litter was always
kicked all over the place!

kaeli
May 24th 04, 02:21 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).

Do not use an automatic (self-cleaning) cat tray with a kitten. Kittens
have been killed with those. It's not overly common, but it has
happened, and better safe than sorry.

I have always preferred the super-duper large hooded boxes with clumping
litter (the expensive low-dust mixed with crystals kind these days b/c
of one of my cat's URI problems). Your cat may or may not like that. The
type of tray and litter you use has a lot to do with what your cat will
use. :)

If you try to switch from what your cat is used to using, get a second
tray for it and keep the original until you know he will use the new
kind. Trust me. ;)

~kaeli~
Never say, "Oops!"; always say, "Ah, interesting!"
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
May 24th 04, 02:21 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).

Do not use an automatic (self-cleaning) cat tray with a kitten. Kittens
have been killed with those. It's not overly common, but it has
happened, and better safe than sorry.

I have always preferred the super-duper large hooded boxes with clumping
litter (the expensive low-dust mixed with crystals kind these days b/c
of one of my cat's URI problems). Your cat may or may not like that. The
type of tray and litter you use has a lot to do with what your cat will
use. :)

If you try to switch from what your cat is used to using, get a second
tray for it and keep the original until you know he will use the new
kind. Trust me. ;)

~kaeli~
Never say, "Oops!"; always say, "Ah, interesting!"
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Joe Canuck
May 24th 04, 02:36 PM
Rach wrote:
> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
> Any thoughts will be a great help
>
> Rach

Self cleaning bad for kittens.

Self cleaning generally bad because of the breakdowns and cost.

Get the largest hooded tray and pour a healthy layer of clumping litter
into it. Depending on the litter box habits of your kitten you may want
to start with non clumping litter as the kittens can be awkward and step
in their own mess... and with clumping this makes an awful mess.

In any case, clean the box at least once/day... while it may be okay to
let it go 2 days you will find the litter last longer and stay fresher
(ie clean) if you scoop once/day.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Joe Canuck
May 24th 04, 02:36 PM
Rach wrote:
> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
> Any thoughts will be a great help
>
> Rach

Self cleaning bad for kittens.

Self cleaning generally bad because of the breakdowns and cost.

Get the largest hooded tray and pour a healthy layer of clumping litter
into it. Depending on the litter box habits of your kitten you may want
to start with non clumping litter as the kittens can be awkward and step
in their own mess... and with clumping this makes an awful mess.

In any case, clean the box at least once/day... while it may be okay to
let it go 2 days you will find the litter last longer and stay fresher
(ie clean) if you scoop once/day.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Joe Canuck
May 24th 04, 02:38 PM
Rach wrote:

> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
> Any thoughts will be a great help
>
> Rach

....and for litter you could try Purina Maxx Cat Scoop Multicat formula.
I have found this one the least dusty that also forms fairly good
clumps. It does have a slight scent which wears off the longer the box
has been opened.

--

Rach wrote:

> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter (clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
> Any thoughts will be a great help
>
> Rach

....and for litter you could try Purina Maxx Cat Scoop Multicat formula.
I have found this one the least dusty that also forms fairly good
clumps. It does have a slight scent which wears off the longer the box
has been opened.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

WumpyGirl
June 12th 04, 03:56 AM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter
(clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
> Any thoughts will be a great help
>
> Rach

I use a clumping flushable litter in a plain ole plastic litter tray.

Works for me.

WumpyGirl
June 12th 04, 03:56 AM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi every1,
> I was just wondering if anyone had any views on which type of litter
(clay,
> wood, catsan, silica) is best to use.
>
> AND which kind of litter tray? Has anyone tried the 'self-cleaning ones'?
>
> I have one kitten (he is 10 weeks old).
>
> Any thoughts will be a great help
>
> Rach

I use a clumping flushable litter in a plain ole plastic litter tray.

Works for me.

Cat Protector
June 13th 04, 01:14 AM
I use a clumping litter called Lasting Pride. It works pretty good and you
can get it at Walmart.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com