PDA

View Full Version : attack of the kitten

Rach
May 27th 04, 02:47 PM
Hi,
I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
but im starting to look like a scratching post :(

Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Rach

Karen
May 27th 04, 02:55 PM
The really bad part lasts about 8 months. They stay insanely active until
about 1.5 years. Yet another reason why it's always best to get two. Do you
have room in your heart and home for a little buddy?

Karen

"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Rach

David Stevenson
May 27th 04, 04:31 PM
Rach wrote
>Hi,
>I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
>an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
>but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
>Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Not usually more than 18 years .....

It does differ very much, but i expect he will grow out of it in a few
months. I think dissuasion is a worthwhile tactic to attempt.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK > Emails welcome

David Stevenson
May 27th 04, 04:31 PM
Rach wrote
>Hi,
>I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
>an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
>but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
>Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Not usually more than 18 years .....

It does differ very much, but i expect he will grow out of it in a few
months. I think dissuasion is a worthwhile tactic to attempt.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK > Emails welcome
Nanki Poo: SI O+W B 11 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P+ B+ PA+ PL SC
Minke: SI W+Cp B 2 Y L W+ C++ I T A- E H++ V++ F- Q- P B PA+ PL+ SC-

Mary
May 27th 04, 04:55 PM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Regardless, you need to start training him now. As has been said many times
here, a loud "OW" when he hurts you, and a little time out immediately will
help get the message across that rough play is unacceptible. His little
claws should be trimmed too, I am uncomfortable doing that with kittens so I
would get the vet to do it.

---

Mary
May 27th 04, 04:55 PM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

Regardless, you need to start training him now. As has been said many times
here, a loud "OW" when he hurts you, and a little time out immediately will
help get the message across that rough play is unacceptible. His little
claws should be trimmed too, I am uncomfortable doing that with kittens so I
would get the vet to do it.

---

Professor
May 27th 04, 05:13 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message
> "Rach" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
> through
> > an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to
hunt,
> > but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
> >
> Regardless, you need to start training him now. As has been said many
times
> here, a loud "OW" when he hurts you, and a little time out immediately
will
> help get the message across that rough play is unacceptible. His little
> claws should be trimmed too, I am uncomfortable doing that with kittens so
> would get the vet to do it.

Better yet, closely watch the Vet trim his claws so you can learn how to do
it safely yourself.

Professor
May 27th 04, 05:13 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message
> "Rach" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
> through
> > an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to
hunt,
> > but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
> >
> Regardless, you need to start training him now. As has been said many
times
> here, a loud "OW" when he hurts you, and a little time out immediately
will
> help get the message across that rough play is unacceptible. His little
> claws should be trimmed too, I am uncomfortable doing that with kittens so
> would get the vet to do it.

Better yet, closely watch the Vet trim his claws so you can learn how to do
it safely yourself.

m. L. Briggs
May 27th 04, 06:00 PM
On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, "Rach"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
>an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
>but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
>Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
>Thanks for any thoughts.
>Rach

Off hand, I'd say forever. The night before last, TuTu was on my lap
having her comb and brush session. Without warning she attacked my
right arm -- five claw marks. She is 7 years old and hasn't done this
in a long time. Naturally, I screamed and dumped her. I promised her
than and there if she ever does this again she is history. She has
been as sweet as sugar ever since.

m. L. Briggs
May 27th 04, 06:00 PM
On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, "Rach"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
>an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
>but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
>Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
>Thanks for any thoughts.
>Rach

Off hand, I'd say forever. The night before last, TuTu was on my lap
having her comb and brush session. Without warning she attacked my
right arm -- five claw marks. She is 7 years old and hasn't done this
in a long time. Naturally, I screamed and dumped her. I promised her
than and there if she ever does this again she is history. She has
been as sweet as sugar ever since.

~*Connie*~
May 28th 04, 02:24 AM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Rach

If you don't teach him what is acceptable now, you never will be able to.
Do not let him get away with anything no matter how cute it is now, cause
when he's 10lbs of cat, it wont be cute at all.

~*Connie*~
May 28th 04, 02:24 AM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Rach

If you don't teach him what is acceptable now, you never will be able to.
Do not let him get away with anything no matter how cute it is now, cause
when he's 10lbs of cat, it wont be cute at all.

Wendy
May 28th 04, 12:13 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> "Rach" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
> through
> > an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to
hunt,
> > but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
> >
> Regardless, you need to start training him now. As has been said many
times
> here, a loud "OW" when he hurts you, and a little time out immediately
will
> help get the message across that rough play is unacceptible. His little
> claws should be trimmed too, I am uncomfortable doing that with kittens so
> would get the vet to do it.
>

> ---
Was just thinking it lasts as long as you put up with it. Like you said it's
time for the "no", "ow" and if that doesn't work, time outs.

If you can see well enough to trim those teeny, tiny claws the sooner the
better. I only had to wrap Boots in a small towel once or twice before he
decided to cooperate for his clippings. It's always best to attempt it
during a time they are relatively laid back.

Wendy
May 28th 04, 12:13 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> "Rach" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
> through
> > an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to
hunt,
> > but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
> >
> Regardless, you need to start training him now. As has been said many
times
> here, a loud "OW" when he hurts you, and a little time out immediately
will
> help get the message across that rough play is unacceptible. His little
> claws should be trimmed too, I am uncomfortable doing that with kittens so
> would get the vet to do it.
>

> ---
Was just thinking it lasts as long as you put up with it. Like you said it's
time for the "no", "ow" and if that doesn't work, time outs.

If you can see well enough to trim those teeny, tiny claws the sooner the
better. I only had to wrap Boots in a small towel once or twice before he
decided to cooperate for his clippings. It's always best to attempt it
during a time they are relatively laid back.

Tiners
May 30th 04, 06:10 AM
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
> circa Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
> Rach ) said,
> > Hi,
> > I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> > an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to
hunt,
> > but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
> >
> Ten or fifteen years.
>
> Okay, kidding. In my experience, it tapers off after the kitten hits
> six months or so in age.
>
> Laura
> --
> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
> Your ass will be laminated.

Or gets neutered and becomes fat and lazy which is what happen to our Male..
sometimes he still attacks us but it's usually a paw swipe and that's it.

Tina

--
-----------
Just when I manage to convince

Tiners
May 30th 04, 06:10 AM
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.. .
> circa Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
> Rach ) said,
> > Hi,
> > I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> > an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to
hunt,
> > but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
> >
> Ten or fifteen years.
>
> Okay, kidding. In my experience, it tapers off after the kitten hits
> six months or so in age.
>
> Laura
> --
> I am Dyslexia of Borg,
> Your ass will be laminated.

Or gets neutered and becomes fat and lazy which is what happen to our Male..
sometimes he still attacks us but it's usually a paw swipe and that's it.

Tina

--
-----------
Just when I manage to convince
myself I'm a superior being,
I walk into a door...

Ruby Tuesday
May 31st 04, 01:43 AM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Rach

My Siamese is almost one year old, and is far less feisty these days. When
he was younger he liked to play with me dangling a Cat Dancer. That got rid
of some of his feistiness.

- Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday
May 31st 04, 01:43 AM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Rach

My Siamese is almost one year old, and is far less feisty these days. When
he was younger he liked to play with me dangling a Cat Dancer. That got rid
of some of his feistiness.

- Ruby Tuesday

Dennis Carr
May 31st 04, 09:03 PM
On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, Rach wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(

Oh, I know this stage. The stage where if you're wearing shorts, the cat
sees the back of your leg and thinks "Pouncy toy!". Ouch.

> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

For the entire life of the cat, though the cat will calm after a time. You
can clip the claws or use Softclaws to abate some of the damage.
(Declawing, as I am sure you're aware, is cruel to the cat.)

--
Dennis Carr - KE6ISF | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Dennis Carr
May 31st 04, 09:03 PM
On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:57 +0100, Rach wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(

Oh, I know this stage. The stage where if you're wearing shorts, the cat
sees the back of your leg and thinks "Pouncy toy!". Ouch.

> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?

For the entire life of the cat, though the cat will calm after a time. You
can clip the claws or use Softclaws to abate some of the damage.
(Declawing, as I am sure you're aware, is cruel to the cat.)

--
Dennis Carr - KE6ISF | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.
------------------------------------+-------------------------------
Wanna email me? Send it to ke6isf instead of bogus-user.

Rach
June 1st 04, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have been shrieking when he bites, which seems to catch him off guard, and
have also been using the spray bottle a few times - though - as you say -
just showing it to him now seems to be enough. He is calming down day by day
now, and the biting's getting softer.

I also trimmed his front claws a little bit so at lest now they're blunter
than the little needles they were before.

I haven't had any new blood wounds for a few days now so thanks again for
all your help.

Rach

"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a siamese kitten - he is only about 10 weeks old and is going
through
> an 'attacking everything' period. I know hes playing and learning to hunt,
> but im starting to look like a scratching post :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea how long this stage lasts?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Rach

CatNipped
June 16th 04, 10:33 PM
David Stevenson > wrote in message >...

Not usually more than 18 years .....

David - Hello!! It's been ages since I've heard from you, but just
the other day I was doing a search on the web on my name (I know - how
narcissistic!) and came across the "Prissy" stories I wrote that you
posted on your web site. It's nice to know you're still active in cat
newsgroups, it's like meeting an old friend after years and years
(what was the last time we had a discussion, 1998??).

Good news, Bandit is still well and as mean as ever - she's 14 now!

Anyway, good to hear from you!

Hugs,

Lori Crews (a.k.a. "CatNipped")
CatMom to:
Bandit, (a.k.a. "Bitch Cat From Hell"), 14, DLH Tabby
Demi, (a.k.a. "Ghost Cat"), 5, DLH Pure White Beauty
Jessie, (a.k.a. "Jet Ski"), 4 DSH Tortoiseshell
Samantha / Sammy, (a.k.a. "Mini Me"), 2 months DLH Tabby

[...]

June 16th 04, 11:00 PM
CatNipped wrote
>David Stevenson > wrote in message
>
>Not usually more than 18 years .....
>
>David - Hello!! It's been ages since I've heard from you, but just
>the other day I was doing a search on the web on my name (I know - how
>narcissistic!) and came across the "Prissy" stories I wrote that you
>posted on your web site. It's nice to know you're still active in cat
>newsgroups, it's like meeting an old friend after years and years
>(what was the last time we had a discussion, 1998??).
>
>Good news, Bandit is still well and as mean as ever - she's 14 now!
>
>Anyway, good to hear from you!

Nice to hear. Yes, all my old stories have stayed there, while many
new ones have been added.