PDA

View Full Version : Re: HELP-Kitten Biting Anything & Everything!!!

Rach
June 1st 04, 09:42 AM
Hi Jeffrey,

I also have a 12 week old kitten, and he's pretty much the same (or was).
See my post a few messages down (Attack of the Kitten). I think that they go
through a learning to hunt stage and pounce on everything at about this age.

The suggestions given by everyone in this ng were really helpful and seem to
be working:
This is what I tried and it has helped.
-Shriek if he bites and it hurts you
-If he's stalking up to you ready to pounce on your face, growl loudly.
It should put him off a bit.
-Give him a soft toy about his size to savage instead and give that to
him when he wants to bite something.
-Have a water bottle handy and squirt him if he goes for you. This will
deter him, but will also distract him and he'll lick off the water instead
so u won't get bitten.

I also trimmed his front claws a little bit 'cause they were more what
caused my pain.

Anyway try the above - they are (hopefully) working out for me and GOOD
LUCK.
All the best
Rach.

Rach
"Jeffery P." > wrote in message
> My kitten is about months old and she bites constantly... She bites
> people, furniture, destroys clothing, carpet and bed sheets, and
> anything else that she sees. The vet says that she could be acting out
> because of something that is stressing her out, but there are no other
> pets here, nor children or anything else that should be aggrevating
> her. She has tons of toys and scratch posts, which she also scratches
> and uses, and she also curls up in my lap and purrs on occassion, so I
> have a hard time believing that is that stressed and acting out. Even
> when she is being playful tough, you cant even touch her without her
> trying to bite you. I have tried a spray bottle, a firm NO, and even
> smacking a rolledup newspaper next to her when she is doing it, but it
> still continues. I need help! I don't want to get rid of my kitty but
> I can't keep her if she is going to destory my house and everything in
> it while drawing blood from every guest that walks in the door. Any
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wendy
June 1st 04, 12:21 PM
"Rach" > wrote in message
> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> I also have a 12 week old kitten, and he's pretty much the same (or was).
> See my post a few messages down (Attack of the Kitten). I think that they
go
> through a learning to hunt stage and pounce on everything at about this
age.

> The suggestions given by everyone in this ng were really helpful and seem
> be working:
> This is what I tried and it has helped.
> -Shriek if he bites and it hurts you
> -If he's stalking up to you ready to pounce on your face, growl
loudly.
> It should put him off a bit.
> -Give him a soft toy about his size to savage instead and give that to
> him when he wants to bite something.
> -Have a water bottle handy and squirt him if he goes for you. This
will
> deter him, but will also distract him and he'll lick off the water instead
> so u won't get bitten.
>
> I also trimmed his front claws a little bit 'cause they were more what
> caused my pain.

Clipping claws is always a good idea. Even if you're not the target of the
claws the furniture might be. IMO the earlier you start clipping them the
easier it will be in the long run. I'm currently bottle feeding 4 kittens
(approx. 4 wks old now) and just did their claws over the weekend. My arms
and hands were beginning to look like I had tangled with some carnivorous
rose bushes. They actually held still for it pretty well. Wait for kitty to
be in a laid back mood and go at 'em. You may have to do only one or two at
a time but stick with it and eventually you might be able to do the whole
lot without a fight.

> Anyway try the above - they are (hopefully) working out for me and GOOD
> LUCK.
> All the best
> Rach.
>
> Rach