PDA

View Full Version : CATS & WEEDS

E.R.
June 1st 04, 12:12 PM
I have a female cat who is out in the garden all the time.
I also have weeds along the brickwork at the bottom of my house, as
well as in the garden itself.

Could you please give me some advise as to what weed killer would be
suitable to use and would be safe if you have animals like cats &
dogs.

Many thanks

Sunflower
June 1st 04, 01:00 PM
"E.R." > wrote in message
om...
> I have a female cat who is out in the garden all the time.
> I also have weeds along the brickwork at the bottom of my house, as
> well as in the garden itself.
>
> Could you please give me some advise as to what weed killer would be
> suitable to use and would be safe if you have animals like cats &
> dogs.
>
> Many thanks

Dig them out by hand. It's organic, and it works. Or, you could use a
torch or pour boiling water on the weeds in the cracks of the bricks. But,
most of these weeds are shallow rooted and easy to dig.

Sunflower
June 1st 04, 01:00 PM
"E.R." > wrote in message
om...
> I have a female cat who is out in the garden all the time.
> I also have weeds along the brickwork at the bottom of my house, as
> well as in the garden itself.
>
> Could you please give me some advise as to what weed killer would be
> suitable to use and would be safe if you have animals like cats &
> dogs.
>
> Many thanks

Dig them out by hand. It's organic, and it works. Or, you could use a
torch or pour boiling water on the weeds in the cracks of the bricks. But,
most of these weeds are shallow rooted and easy to dig.

Fat Freddy
June 1st 04, 02:52 PM
> > I have a female cat who is out in the garden all the time.
> > I also have weeds along the brickwork at the bottom of my house, as
> > well as in the garden itself.
> >
> > Could you please give me some advise as to what weed killer would be
> > suitable to use and would be safe if you have animals like cats &
> > dogs.

If they are in places that you don't want ANYTHING to grow, like
between sidewalk cracks, or between patio bricks, you can use a strong
salt water soultion.

Fat Freddy
June 1st 04, 02:52 PM
> > I have a female cat who is out in the garden all the time.
> > I also have weeds along the brickwork at the bottom of my house, as
> > well as in the garden itself.
> >
> > Could you please give me some advise as to what weed killer would be
> > suitable to use and would be safe if you have animals like cats &
> > dogs.

If they are in places that you don't want ANYTHING to grow, like
between sidewalk cracks, or between patio bricks, you can use a strong
salt water soultion.

Cheryl
June 1st 04, 11:01 PM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Fat Freddy
> artfully composed this message within
> on 01 Jun 2004:

> If they are in places that you don't want ANYTHING to grow, like
> between sidewalk cracks, or between patio bricks, you can use a
> strong salt water soultion.

Interesting. What is the ratio?

--
Cheryl
/neophyte gardener

Cheryl
June 1st 04, 11:01 PM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Fat Freddy
> artfully composed this message within
> on 01 Jun 2004:

> If they are in places that you don't want ANYTHING to grow, like
> between sidewalk cracks, or between patio bricks, you can use a
> strong salt water soultion.

Interesting. What is the ratio?

--
Cheryl
/neophyte gardener

Magic Mood Jeep©
June 1st 04, 11:41 PM
Tobacco juice works as well. My mom used to buy the 'bricks' of chewing
tobacco, soak it in a coffee can of water for a couple for days, then pour
that water (looked like tea or coffee) into a sprayer or squirtbottle, and
spray weeds/grass that she didn't want growing. It's the Nicotine that
kills the plants. Works very well on poison ivy & other vines.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Fat Freddy
> > artfully composed this message within
> > on 01 Jun 2004:
>

> > If they are in places that you don't want ANYTHING to grow, like
> > between sidewalk cracks, or between patio bricks, you can use a
> > strong salt water soultion.
>
> Interesting. What is the ratio?
>
> --
> Cheryl
> /neophyte gardener

Ted Davis
June 2nd 04, 01:11 AM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:41:47 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
> wrote:

>Tobacco juice works as well. My mom used to buy the 'bricks' of chewing
>tobacco, soak it in a coffee can of water for a couple for days, then pour
>that water (looked like tea or coffee) into a sprayer or squirtbottle, and
>spray weeds/grass that she didn't want growing. It's the Nicotine that
>kills the plants. Works very well on poison ivy & other vines.

That's *far* from nontoxic to mammals.

As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will pour
(including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the more you
need. It doesn't take much.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Ted Davis
June 2nd 04, 01:11 AM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:41:47 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
> wrote:

>Tobacco juice works as well. My mom used to buy the 'bricks' of chewing
>tobacco, soak it in a coffee can of water for a couple for days, then pour
>that water (looked like tea or coffee) into a sprayer or squirtbottle, and
>spray weeds/grass that she didn't want growing. It's the Nicotine that
>kills the plants. Works very well on poison ivy & other vines.

That's *far* from nontoxic to mammals.

As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will pour
(including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the more you
need. It doesn't take much.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Cheryl
June 2nd 04, 02:00 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Ted Davis
> artfully composed this message
within > on 01 Jun
2004:

> As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will
> pour (including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the
> more you need. It doesn't take much.

Thanks Ted. Always looking for non-toxic ways. I always do what
Sunflower wrote, and just pull them. But in between pavers and along
the walkway, pulling all the time just gets silly because I can't get
the root if it's under the bricks. This sounds like something worth
trying. Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
June 2nd 04, 02:00 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Ted Davis
> artfully composed this message
within > on 01 Jun
2004:

> As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will
> pour (including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the
> more you need. It doesn't take much.

Thanks Ted. Always looking for non-toxic ways. I always do what
Sunflower wrote, and just pull them. But in between pavers and along
the walkway, pulling all the time just gets silly because I can't get
the root if it's under the bricks. This sounds like something worth
trying. Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

--
Cheryl

Ted Davis
June 2nd 04, 01:54 PM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:00:58 -0500, Cheryl
> wrote:

>In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Ted Davis
> artfully composed this message
>within > on 01 Jun
>2004:
>
>> As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will
>> pour (including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the
>> more you need. It doesn't take much.
>
>Thanks Ted. Always looking for non-toxic ways. I always do what
>Sunflower wrote, and just pull them. But in between pavers and along
>the walkway, pulling all the time just gets silly because I can't get
>the root if it's under the bricks. This sounds like something worth
>trying. Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

Don't know.

Salting fields is an ancient way of ensuring that your defeated enemy
cannot rise again, at least not at the same place. The Romans
supposidly did this to Carthage in 146 BCE - the story is probably
untrue, but illustrates that the use of salt as a vegatation killer
goes back a *long* way.

T.E.D. )

Ted Davis
June 2nd 04, 01:54 PM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:00:58 -0500, Cheryl
> wrote:

>In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Ted Davis
> artfully composed this message
>within > on 01 Jun
>2004:
>
>> As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will
>> pour (including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the
>> more you need. It doesn't take much.
>
>Thanks Ted. Always looking for non-toxic ways. I always do what
>Sunflower wrote, and just pull them. But in between pavers and along
>the walkway, pulling all the time just gets silly because I can't get
>the root if it's under the bricks. This sounds like something worth
>trying. Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

Don't know.

Salting fields is an ancient way of ensuring that your defeated enemy
cannot rise again, at least not at the same place. The Romans
supposidly did this to Carthage in 146 BCE - the story is probably
untrue, but illustrates that the use of salt as a vegatation killer
goes back a *long* way.

T.E.D. )

Fat Freddy
June 3rd 04, 05:51 PM
> >> As for salt... It doesn't take much.

> >...Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

Yes it will.

Every night, I put a bowl of food out by the front door for strays and
visiting neighbors and the slugs get into it. To prevent this I
sprinkle a little salt around. The slugs won't go near it. Sprinkle a
few grains of salt on a slug and you will see why.

Use very little salt, especially if you have plants growing nearby.