PDA

View Full Version : Re: big cats into small cats - selective breeding?

kaeli
August 5th 04, 02:08 PM
In article >, enlightened us
with...
> I'd love to have a lion or tiger that was the size of a house cat.

Get a Bengal. ;)

~kaeli~
Synonym: the word you use in place of a word you can't
spell.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

hunkahunkaburninluv
August 5th 04, 07:16 PM
"Ted Davis" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:31:43 -0700, "Cat Lover" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'd love to have a lion or tiger that was the size of a house cat.
> >
> >Would it be possible to get one with selective breeding? Take the
smallest
> >of each litter and use it to breed even smaller cats until you get to the
> >right size? If so, how long would it take? I'm guessing well over a
century,
> >if not much longer.
>
> Probably never. Cats are not genetically plastic - people have been
> breeding domestic cats for several thousand years and have not managed
> to make much difference in them: coat colors and length, some tail
> deformities, and that hideous crushed face on some long hair breeds
> are about it. Large males can be about four times the weight of small
> females whereas with more plastic animals like dogs, breeds vary in
> weight by a range of something like twenty to one.

How do you explain the difference in size between a lion and a tabby? They
both supposedly come from the same line. Why can't selective breeding
accomplish the same thing?

hunkahunkaburninluv
August 5th 04, 07:16 PM