PDA

View Full Version : Returning my cats to the UK from Canada

Steve
August 23rd 04, 03:40 PM
I'm returning to the UK soon after living in Canada for four years and
I wish to take my cats with me. Following advice from a vet in Canada
I had them both microchipped and a rabies vaccine done with the view
to having a second rabies jab done six months afterwards. Now, after
speaking to someone else it looks like I should've had a blood test
done a month after the first jab to verify that the vaccine took and
the cats can only go back when six months have elapsed following the
blood test.

Is there anyway of avoiding the long wait after the blood test
considering that the vaccine was done almost six months ago? The test
has to be done in Kansas, anyone know how long it might take to get
results back from past expereiences?

Thanks
Steve

hpickering@austin.rr.com
August 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
On 23 Aug 2004 07:40:57 -0700, (Steve) wrote:

>I'm returning to the UK soon after living in Canada for four years and
>I wish to take my cats with me. Following advice from a vet in Canada
>I had them both microchipped and a rabies vaccine done with the view
>to having a second rabies jab done six months afterwards. Now, after
>speaking to someone else it looks like I should've had a blood test
>done a month after the first jab to verify that the vaccine took and
>the cats can only go back when six months have elapsed following the
>blood test.
>
>Is there anyway of avoiding the long wait after the blood test
>considering that the vaccine was done almost six months ago? The test
>has to be done in Kansas, anyone know how long it might take to get
>results back from past expereiences?
>
>Thanks
>Steve
Here is a URL with links about the moving of the cat.
http://www.moggies.co.uk/stories/petpports.html

hpickering@austin.rr.com
August 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
On 23 Aug 2004 07:40:57 -0700, (Steve) wrote:

>I'm returning to the UK soon after living in Canada for four years and
>I wish to take my cats with me. Following advice from a vet in Canada
>I had them both microchipped and a rabies vaccine done with the view
>to having a second rabies jab done six months afterwards. Now, after
>speaking to someone else it looks like I should've had a blood test
>done a month after the first jab to verify that the vaccine took and
>the cats can only go back when six months have elapsed following the
>blood test.
>
>Is there anyway of avoiding the long wait after the blood test
>considering that the vaccine was done almost six months ago? The test
>has to be done in Kansas, anyone know how long it might take to get
>results back from past expereiences?
>
>Thanks
>Steve
Here is a URL with links about the moving of the cat.
http://www.moggies.co.uk/stories/petpports.html

Judy
August 23rd 04, 09:41 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm returning to the UK soon after living in Canada for four years and
> I wish to take my cats with me. Following advice from a vet in Canada
> I had them both microchipped and a rabies vaccine done with the view
> to having a second rabies jab done six months afterwards. Now, after
> speaking to someone else it looks like I should've had a blood test
> done a month after the first jab to verify that the vaccine took and
> the cats can only go back when six months have elapsed following the
> blood test.
>
> Is there anyway of avoiding the long wait after the blood test
> considering that the vaccine was done almost six months ago? The test
> has to be done in Kansas, anyone know how long it might take to get
> results back from past expereiences?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Here's some info that might be useful.