PDA

View Full Version : budgies & cats

lbugg
September 4th 04, 11:39 PM
I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.

I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

Linda Terrell
September 5th 04, 12:20 AM
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:39:48 UTC, "lbugg" > wrote:

> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>
> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

I can't think of a cat on the planet that wouldn't go after birds...

Not many dogs wouldn't, either...

LT

Linda Terrell
September 5th 04, 12:20 AM
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:39:48 UTC, "lbugg" > wrote:

> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>
> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

I can't think of a cat on the planet that wouldn't go after birds...

Not many dogs wouldn't, either...

LT

MaryL
September 5th 04, 02:04 AM
"lbugg" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>
> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

I have friends who have both birds and cats -- but they keep them
*separate.* Actually, one friend lets her bird fly around the room when the
cat is also there, but *only* when a human is in the room. Otherwise, she
is very careful to have them in different areas of the house.

In particular, I would not want to keep that ladder you described if a cat
is in the area. My little Duffy is blind, but he could scale something like
that in an instant!

MaryL

MaryL
September 5th 04, 02:04 AM
"lbugg" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>
> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

I have friends who have both birds and cats -- but they keep them
*separate.* Actually, one friend lets her bird fly around the room when the
cat is also there, but *only* when a human is in the room. Otherwise, she
is very careful to have them in different areas of the house.

In particular, I would not want to keep that ladder you described if a cat
is in the area. My little Duffy is blind, but he could scale something like
that in an instant!

MaryL

Sunflower
September 5th 04, 05:51 PM
"lbugg" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>
> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

Cats and birds don't mix unless you have a nice sized and *safe* aviary
which the birds don't leave. My vet friend has 7 cats and 2 budgies who
have a wonderful large and well cat-paw-proofed enclosure. The budgies
nested and hatched 4 babies. One of her kitties was smart enough to bump
the wire mesh wall where the nest was located until one of the babies fell
out to the cleaning tray below where he could pull the tray out and kill the
baby. She only figured out what was going on after she lost 3 of the
babies. Cats are smarter than you think, especially where that predator
instinct is concerned. She relocated the nest to a wall the cats couldn't
get next to and the next batch of babies was fine.

Sunflower
September 5th 04, 05:51 PM
"lbugg" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>
> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

Cats and birds don't mix unless you have a nice sized and *safe* aviary
which the birds don't leave. My vet friend has 7 cats and 2 budgies who
have a wonderful large and well cat-paw-proofed enclosure. The budgies
nested and hatched 4 babies. One of her kitties was smart enough to bump
the wire mesh wall where the nest was located until one of the babies fell
out to the cleaning tray below where he could pull the tray out and kill the
baby. She only figured out what was going on after she lost 3 of the
babies. Cats are smarter than you think, especially where that predator
instinct is concerned. She relocated the nest to a wall the cats couldn't
get next to and the next batch of babies was fine.

HD
September 5th 04, 07:04 PM
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:51:54 GMT, "Sunflower"
> wrote:

>"lbugg" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
>> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
>> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
>> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>>
>> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
>> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
>> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
>> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.
>>

>Cats and birds don't mix unless you have a nice sized and *safe* aviary
>which the birds don't leave. My vet friend has 7 cats and 2 budgies who
>have a wonderful large and well cat-paw-proofed enclosure. The budgies
>nested and hatched 4 babies. One of her kitties was smart enough to bump
>the wire mesh wall where the nest was located until one of the babies fell
>out to the cleaning tray below where he could pull the tray out and kill the
>baby. She only figured out what was going on after she lost 3 of the
>babies. Cats are smarter than you think, especially where that predator
>instinct is concerned. She relocated the nest to a wall the cats couldn't
>get next to and the next batch of babies was fine.

Speaking of cats and birds not mixing.
It reminds me of a story that I heard.
This person was moving and wanted to insure their parrot and cat
against catastrophe.
The person called Lloyd's of London and asked about the insurance.
Lloyd's response was "Yes we can insure the parrot and the cat, but
not together."

HD
September 5th 04, 07:04 PM
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:51:54 GMT, "Sunflower"
> wrote:

>"lbugg" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
>> I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
>> a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
>> they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>>
>> I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
>> any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
>> peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
>> babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.
>>

>Cats and birds don't mix unless you have a nice sized and *safe* aviary
>which the birds don't leave. My vet friend has 7 cats and 2 budgies who
>have a wonderful large and well cat-paw-proofed enclosure. The budgies
>nested and hatched 4 babies. One of her kitties was smart enough to bump
>the wire mesh wall where the nest was located until one of the babies fell
>out to the cleaning tray below where he could pull the tray out and kill the
>baby. She only figured out what was going on after she lost 3 of the
>babies. Cats are smarter than you think, especially where that predator
>instinct is concerned. She relocated the nest to a wall the cats couldn't
>get next to and the next batch of babies was fine.

Speaking of cats and birds not mixing.
It reminds me of a story that I heard.
This person was moving and wanted to insure their parrot and cat
against catastrophe.
The person called Lloyd's of London and asked about the insurance.
Lloyd's response was "Yes we can insure the parrot and the cat, but
not together."

Sherry
September 9th 04, 02:29 PM
>I have 2 Budgies in a large cage.we leave the cage door open and they have
>a ladder connecting from the floor to the cage so they may come and go as
>they please.One is quite friendly and quite the little jokester.
>
>I have recently, well not recently...I would like a kitty. Now is there
>any breed that would not go after these birds? I hear persians are quite
>peaceful, or is it just the nature of the beast? I do not want these lil'
>babies traumitized.I really would like a little cat though.

Don't get a cat that you expect to not show interest in the birds. They will.
If you get the cat, the birds *have* to be very secure, in a cage that's
completely secure and prefereably suspended from the ceiling, not on a stand.
Lock the bird away when you're gone. I can't stress this enough. We had an
eight-year-old budgie, and a cat who didn't show interest in it either. One day
I came home, he'd knocked the cage stand over, the bottom broke when it fell,
and you can imagine the rest.
Your statement is true. It *is* the nature of the beast. Our cat showed
complete disinterest for many years, and poor Tropical was a victim of our own
complacency.

Sherry

Sherry
September 9th 04, 02:29 PM