PDA

View Full Version : Rutherford, at it again!

jimmy the LD
September 14th 04, 01:56 PM
Hi All:
Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
cat...

Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
(about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in the
wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes before I
caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food and
water and his litterbox for the night.

I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I can't
deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in the
house, I'm gonna flip.

I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.

Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
Jimmy

--
"...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
and don't forget to run like an antelope.

http://www.jimhutchison.com
http://music.jimhutchison.com

Jodie
September 14th 04, 10:24 PM
also after you have cleaned and dried the area, you could simply put
double-sided taped criss-crossing the area. Cats hate to step on that
stuff!

Jodie
September 14th 04, 10:24 PM
also after you have cleaned and dried the area, you could simply put
double-sided taped criss-crossing the area. Cats hate to step on that
stuff!

mlbriggs
September 14th 04, 10:31 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:56:44 -0400, jimmy the LD wrote:

> Hi All:
> Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
> cat...
>
> Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in the
> wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes before I
> caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food and
> water and his litterbox for the night.
>
> I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
> yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I can't
> deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in the
> house, I'm gonna flip.
>
> I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
> medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
> first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
> just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
>
> Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> Jimmy

Perhaps a new Vet would be a good idea. MLB

mlbriggs
September 14th 04, 10:31 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:56:44 -0400, jimmy the LD wrote:

> Hi All:
> Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
> cat...
>
> Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in the
> wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes before I
> caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food and
> water and his litterbox for the night.
>
> I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
> yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I can't
> deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in the
> house, I'm gonna flip.
>
> I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
> medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
> first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
> just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
>
> Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> Jimmy

Perhaps a new Vet would be a good idea. MLB

Bluesman
September 15th 04, 09:43 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message >...
> Hi All:
> Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
> cat...
>
> Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in the
> wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes before I
> caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food and
> water and his litterbox for the night.
>
> I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
> yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I can't
> deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in the
> house, I'm gonna flip.
>
> I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
> medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
> first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
> just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
>
> Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> Jimmy

Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?

Bluesman

Bluesman
September 15th 04, 09:43 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message >...
> Hi All:
> Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
> cat...
>
> Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in the
> wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes before I
> caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food and
> water and his litterbox for the night.
>
> I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
> yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I can't
> deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in the
> house, I'm gonna flip.
>
> I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
> medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
> first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
> just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
>
> Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> Jimmy

Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?

Bluesman

Mary
September 15th 04, 11:35 PM
"Bluesman" > wrote in message
om...
> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Hi All:
> > Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and
wall-spraying
> > cat...
> >
> > Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> > (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> > living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in
the
> > wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes
before I
> > caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food
and
> > water and his litterbox for the night.
> >
> > I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> > DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched
it
> > yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
can't
> > deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
the
> > house, I'm gonna flip.
> >
> > I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get
> > medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time
(and
> > first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers -
she
> > just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
> >
> > Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> > Jimmy
>
> Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?
>

> Bluesman

Wow. What breathtaking simplicity. I assume the OP does not want to put the
litter box there?

Mary
September 15th 04, 11:35 PM
"Bluesman" > wrote in message
om...
> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Hi All:
> > Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and
wall-spraying
> > cat...
> >
> > Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> > (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> > living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in
the
> > wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes
before I
> > caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food
and
> > water and his litterbox for the night.
> >
> > I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> > DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched
it
> > yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
can't
> > deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
the
> > house, I'm gonna flip.
> >
> > I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get
> > medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time
(and
> > first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers -
she
> > just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
> >
> > Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> > Jimmy
>
> Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?
>

> Bluesman

Wow. What breathtaking simplicity. I assume the OP does not want to put the
litter box there?

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 02:43 AM
> Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?
> >

> > Bluesman
>
> Wow. What breathtaking simplicity. I assume the OP does not want to put
the
> litter box there?

I'm not sure what this means - I don't want to teach him that the spot he
uses is the toilet, I want to teach him that he's not ****ing supposed to
**** there. Placing his litter box on the spot seems to me to be a bad
judgement.

Jimmy

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 02:43 AM
> Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?
> >

> > Bluesman
>
> Wow. What breathtaking simplicity. I assume the OP does not want to put
the
> litter box there?

I'm not sure what this means - I don't want to teach him that the spot he
uses is the toilet, I want to teach him that he's not ****ing supposed to
**** there. Placing his litter box on the spot seems to me to be a bad
judgement.

Jimmy

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 01:33 PM
To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning, let Rutherford out of the
bedroom to feed him, and discovered that he had ****ed all over and in his
water dish that I had placed on his favorite non-litterbox spot.

NOW he's just being an asshole.
Come ON, Rutherford.

Have you all used up your suggestions?

Jimmy

> [...]

> DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
> yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
can't
> deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
the
> house, I'm gonna flip.
>
> I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
> medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
> first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
> just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
>
> Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> Jimmy
>
> --
> "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> and don't forget to run like an antelope.

bonbon
September 16th 04, 02:23 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:56:44 -0400, "jimmy the LD"
> wrote:

>Hi All:
>Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
>cat...
(snip)
>Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
>Jimmy

Jimmy, I just joined, so forgive me if I'm posting with info you've
already received.

Perhaps he wants a larger litter box.

If it's an open box, try one of those enclosed types.

Try a different type of litter.

If it's an open box, and up against a wall, try moving it 8-12 inches
away from the wall. (that solved the prob. with my floor ****er)

Is he an only cat? If so, get him a companion from the shelter. Once
they've gotten acquainted, maybe the new guy will show him the
correct place to ****.

Again, sorry if I'm just repeating what you've already heard - I'm
supposed to be getting ready for work, and didn't have time to read
all of the previous posts. I know first hand how frustrating and
maddening it is when you have a floor ****er, because you love the
little fart.

Good luck.

-bonbon

bonbon
September 16th 04, 02:23 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:56:44 -0400, "jimmy the LD"
> wrote:

>Hi All:
>Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
>cat...
(snip)
>Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
>Jimmy

Jimmy, I just joined, so forgive me if I'm posting with info you've
already received.

Perhaps he wants a larger litter box.

If it's an open box, try one of those enclosed types.

Try a different type of litter.

If it's an open box, and up against a wall, try moving it 8-12 inches
away from the wall. (that solved the prob. with my floor ****er)

Is he an only cat? If so, get him a companion from the shelter. Once
they've gotten acquainted, maybe the new guy will show him the
correct place to ****.

Again, sorry if I'm just repeating what you've already heard - I'm
supposed to be getting ready for work, and didn't have time to read
all of the previous posts. I know first hand how frustrating and
maddening it is when you have a floor ****er, because you love the
little fart.

Good luck.

-bonbon

Mary
September 16th 04, 03:16 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?
> > >

> > > Bluesman
> >
> > Wow. What breathtaking simplicity. I assume the OP does not want to put
> the
> > litter box there?
> >

> I'm not sure what this means - I don't want to teach him that the spot he
> uses is the toilet, I want to teach him that he's not ****ing supposed to
> **** there. Placing his litter box on the spot seems to me to be a bad
> judgement.
>
> Jimmy

Why? Because you don't think a litter box should GO there?
I can understand that it might not look nice there, but with
the battle you are having with Rutherford and the fact that
you claim to love him so much, it seems to be a great
compromise. A bad judgement? Um, you'd have a cat
going IN THE LITTER BOX instead of on the floor,
wall, etc. You could slowly over time inch it in the direction
you want it. Did someone suggest to you that cats are
the kinds of animals you can completely bend to your will?
If so, not true. Rutherford may be missing his literal
cojones but he's got nine more sets and they are all
issuing opinions.

Mary
September 16th 04, 03:16 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Can't you just put the litterbox on the **** spot?
> > >

> > > Bluesman
> >
> > Wow. What breathtaking simplicity. I assume the OP does not want to put
> the
> > litter box there?
> >

> I'm not sure what this means - I don't want to teach him that the spot he
> uses is the toilet, I want to teach him that he's not ****ing supposed to
> **** there. Placing his litter box on the spot seems to me to be a bad
> judgement.
>
> Jimmy

Why? Because you don't think a litter box should GO there?
I can understand that it might not look nice there, but with
the battle you are having with Rutherford and the fact that
you claim to love him so much, it seems to be a great
compromise. A bad judgement? Um, you'd have a cat
going IN THE LITTER BOX instead of on the floor,
wall, etc. You could slowly over time inch it in the direction
you want it. Did someone suggest to you that cats are
the kinds of animals you can completely bend to your will?
If so, not true. Rutherford may be missing his literal
cojones but he's got nine more sets and they are all
issuing opinions.

Mary
September 16th 04, 03:17 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning, let Rutherford out of the
> bedroom to feed him, and discovered that he had ****ed all over and in his
> water dish that I had placed on his favorite non-litterbox spot.
>
> NOW he's just being an asshole.
> Come ON, Rutherford.
>
> Have you all used up your suggestions?
>
> Jimmy
>

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Hi All:
> > Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and
> wall-spraying
> > cat...
> >
> > Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> > (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> > living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in
the
> > wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes
before
> > caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food
and
> > water and his litterbox for the night.
> >
> > I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> > DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched
it
> > yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
> can't
> > deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
> the
> > house, I'm gonna flip.
> >
> > I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get
> > medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time
(and
> > first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers -
she
> > just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
> >
> > Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> > Jimmy
> >
> > --
> > "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> > and don't forget to run like an antelope.

Am I to understand that you have not taken him
to the vet??

Mary
September 16th 04, 03:17 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning, let Rutherford out of the
> bedroom to feed him, and discovered that he had ****ed all over and in his
> water dish that I had placed on his favorite non-litterbox spot.
>
> NOW he's just being an asshole.
> Come ON, Rutherford.
>
> Have you all used up your suggestions?
>
> Jimmy
>

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Hi All:
> > Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and
> wall-spraying
> > cat...
> >
> > Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> > (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> > living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in
the
> > wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes
before
> > caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food
and
> > water and his litterbox for the night.
> >
> > I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> > DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched
it
> > yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
> can't
> > deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
> the
> > house, I'm gonna flip.
> >
> > I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get
> > medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time
(and
> > first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers -
she
> > just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
> >
> > Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> > Jimmy
> >
> > --
> > "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> > and don't forget to run like an antelope.

Am I to understand that you have not taken him
to the vet??

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 03:42 PM
> Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> to the vet??

No:
You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
out.
I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
Prozac) and nothing has worked.

I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think that
since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the master
bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue to
**** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by making
it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.

JImmy

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 03:42 PM
> Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> to the vet??

No:
You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
out.
I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
Prozac) and nothing has worked.

I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think that
since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the master
bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue to
**** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by making
it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.

JImmy

Karen
September 16th 04, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at that. I
would bet anything he is ill.

> [...]

it
> > yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
> can't
> > deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
> the
> > house, I'm gonna flip.
> >
> > I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get
> > medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time
(and
> > first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers -
she
> > just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
> >
> > Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> > Jimmy
> >
> > --
> > "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> > and don't forget to run like an antelope.

September 16th 04, 03:53 PM
> I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at that.
> would bet anything he is ill.

He's not lethargic or anything, and the vet says he's fine.

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 03:53 PM
> I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at that.
> would bet anything he is ill.

He's not lethargic or anything, and the vet says he's fine.

Karen
September 16th 04, 04:01 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at
that.
> > would bet anything he is ill.
>
> He's not lethargic or anything, and the vet says he's fine.

I think you need a different vet. I'm sorry, but peeing in the water dish is
NOT just behavioural. THERE IS SOMETHING PHYSICALLY WRONG WITH THIS CAT.
Whether or not you want to believe it, there is. I also agree with Megan he
may have a botched declaw job and if the vet you are taking him to did the
surgery, you can BET he is going to say "Oh, there is nothing physically
wrong".

Karen
September 16th 04, 04:01 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at
that.
> > would bet anything he is ill.
>
> He's not lethargic or anything, and the vet says he's fine.

I think you need a different vet. I'm sorry, but peeing in the water dish is
NOT just behavioural. THERE IS SOMETHING PHYSICALLY WRONG WITH THIS CAT.
Whether or not you want to believe it, there is. I also agree with Megan he
may have a botched declaw job and if the vet you are taking him to did the
surgery, you can BET he is going to say "Oh, there is nothing physically
wrong".

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 04:10 PM
My current vet didn't perform the declawing surgery.
I stated this several times before.

We got Rutherford as a stray, and he had been neutered and declawed.

Next?

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 04:10 PM
My current vet didn't perform the declawing surgery.
I stated this several times before.

We got Rutherford as a stray, and he had been neutered and declawed.

Next?

Wendy
September 16th 04, 04:16 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> > to the vet??
>

> No:
> You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
> out.
> I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
> Prozac) and nothing has worked.
>
> I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think
that
> since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the master
> bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue
> **** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by
making
> it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.
>
> JImmy

I would give it a try. If nothing else it will give you some clues as to
what the problem is. If he shuns the box for the carpet when it is right
there where he has been going then I'd look to the type of litter you are
using and have his paws checked to make sure they are healed properly from
the de-claw.

My niece adopted an already de-clawed cat and he was fine with the litter
box for a while. Then suddenly he started peeing in her son's room on the
carpeting. It turns out he was having problems with his paw (bone chips or
infection I don't remember which) and needed more surgery.

OTOH if he uses the box when it is in his favorite spot you can leave it
there for a while until he gets used to using a litter box exclusively again
and then gradually try moving it to a spot you prefer more. Once you have
him reliably using a box in any location you can decide what to do with the
carpet/padding to totally eliminate the odor so he won't be as likely to go
right back to that spot when/if you start moving the box.

I'm not sure if you've tried covering his box (if open) or taking the cover
off (if covered) to see if he has a preference.

Wendy
September 16th 04, 04:16 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> > to the vet??
>

> No:
> You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
> out.
> I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
> Prozac) and nothing has worked.
>
> I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think
that
> since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the master
> bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue
> **** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by
making
> it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.
>
> JImmy

I would give it a try. If nothing else it will give you some clues as to
what the problem is. If he shuns the box for the carpet when it is right
there where he has been going then I'd look to the type of litter you are
using and have his paws checked to make sure they are healed properly from
the de-claw.

My niece adopted an already de-clawed cat and he was fine with the litter
box for a while. Then suddenly he started peeing in her son's room on the
carpeting. It turns out he was having problems with his paw (bone chips or
infection I don't remember which) and needed more surgery.

OTOH if he uses the box when it is in his favorite spot you can leave it
there for a while until he gets used to using a litter box exclusively again
and then gradually try moving it to a spot you prefer more. Once you have
him reliably using a box in any location you can decide what to do with the
carpet/padding to totally eliminate the odor so he won't be as likely to go
right back to that spot when/if you start moving the box.

I'm not sure if you've tried covering his box (if open) or taking the cover
off (if covered) to see if he has a preference.

Mary
September 16th 04, 04:55 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> > to the vet??
>

> No:
> You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
out.
> I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
> Prozac) and nothing has worked.
>
> I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think
that
> since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the master
> bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue
> **** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by
making
> it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.

Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
they are trying to tell you something is making them
very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
like people.

Mary
September 16th 04, 04:55 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> > to the vet??
>

> No:
> You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
out.
> I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
> Prozac) and nothing has worked.
>
> I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think
that
> since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the master
> bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue
> **** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by
making
> it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.

Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
they are trying to tell you something is making them
very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
like people.

Mary
September 16th 04, 04:57 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at that.
> would bet anything he is ill.

I agree. The only time I ever saw this kind of
overt urinating was a cat I took care of while his
owner was away. He began peeing on wooden
furniture in rooms with wood floors, right in front
of me and right in front of his owner. I don't know
if he ever took him to the vet, but several weeks later
he found the cat dead in his storage shed, no visible
injuries.

Mary
September 16th 04, 04:57 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at that.
> would bet anything he is ill.

I agree. The only time I ever saw this kind of
overt urinating was a cat I took care of while his
owner was away. He began peeing on wooden
furniture in rooms with wood floors, right in front
of me and right in front of his owner. I don't know
if he ever took him to the vet, but several weeks later
he found the cat dead in his storage shed, no visible
injuries.

Karen
September 16th 04, 05:29 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> My current vet didn't perform the declawing surgery.
> I stated this several times before.
>
> We got Rutherford as a stray, and he had been neutered and declawed.
>
> Next?

Get the vet to examine his paws. Get a better vet. THERE IS SOMETHING
PHYSICALLY WRONG WITH THIS CAT.

Karen
September 16th 04, 05:29 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> My current vet didn't perform the declawing surgery.
> I stated this several times before.
>
> We got Rutherford as a stray, and he had been neutered and declawed.
>
> Next?

Get the vet to examine his paws. Get a better vet. THERE IS SOMETHING
PHYSICALLY WRONG WITH THIS CAT.

M.C. Mullen
September 16th 04, 05:44 PM
"jimmy the LD" > schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
| To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning, let Rutherford out of the
| bedroom to feed him, and discovered that he had ****ed all over and in his
| water dish that I had placed on his favorite non-litterbox spot.
|
| NOW he's just being an asshole.
| Come ON, Rutherford.
|
| Have you all used up your suggestions?
|
| Jimmy

Yes!
- Either you treat him very badly,
- or this cat has a serious problem!

I presume it's #2, so you need:
- a lot of creativity and imagination to figure it out
(it could well be a natural problem like that your carpet 'stinks')
- a vet
- a cat behaviourist.

Well, to conclude:
Your problem is not easy to solve - and - I feel and sympathise with you!

Carola

M.C. Mullen
September 16th 04, 05:44 PM
"jimmy the LD" > schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
| To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning, let Rutherford out of the
| bedroom to feed him, and discovered that he had ****ed all over and in his
| water dish that I had placed on his favorite non-litterbox spot.
|
| NOW he's just being an asshole.
| Come ON, Rutherford.
|
| Have you all used up your suggestions?
|
| Jimmy

Yes!
- Either you treat him very badly,
- or this cat has a serious problem!

I presume it's #2, so you need:
- a lot of creativity and imagination to figure it out
(it could well be a natural problem like that your carpet 'stinks')
- a vet
- a cat behaviourist.

Well, to conclude:
Your problem is not easy to solve - and - I feel and sympathise with you!

Carola

M.C. Mullen
September 16th 04, 06:00 PM
"jimmy the LD" > schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
| My current vet didn't perform the declawing surgery.
| I stated this several times before.
|
| We got Rutherford as a stray, and he had been neutered and declawed.
|
| Next?

Right, I take up the challenge, not without telling you though that I feel
for you and your cat.
Last desperate attempt, if everything so far has not worked:
I'd give up the carpet for the sake of the cat - and pray for wisdom (not
joking).
Something is not right here, but I can't see what. Keep trying, please.
Have you checked if there's blood in the urine yet (reddish colour)?
A friend just stated this week that kidney failure is the most common cause
for death with domestic cats.

Good luck.

Carola

M.C. Mullen
September 16th 04, 06:00 PM
"jimmy the LD" > schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
| My current vet didn't perform the declawing surgery.
| I stated this several times before.
|
| We got Rutherford as a stray, and he had been neutered and declawed.
|
| Next?

Right, I take up the challenge, not without telling you though that I feel
for you and your cat.
Last desperate attempt, if everything so far has not worked:
I'd give up the carpet for the sake of the cat - and pray for wisdom (not
joking).
Something is not right here, but I can't see what. Keep trying, please.
Have you checked if there's blood in the urine yet (reddish colour)?
A friend just stated this week that kidney failure is the most common cause
for death with domestic cats.

Good luck.

Carola

Bluesman
September 16th 04, 06:58 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message >...
> To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning, let Rutherford out of the
> bedroom to feed him, and discovered that he had ****ed all over and in his
> water dish that I had placed on his favorite non-litterbox spot.
>
> NOW he's just being an asshole.
> Come ON, Rutherford.
>
> Have you all used up your suggestions?
>
> Jimmy
>

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Hi All:
> > Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and
> wall-spraying
> > cat...
> >
> > Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> > (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> > living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in the
> > wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes before
> > caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food and
> > water and his litterbox for the night.
> >
> > I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> > DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
> > yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
> can't
> > deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
> the
> > house, I'm gonna flip.
> >
> > I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
> > medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
> > first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
> > just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
> >
> > Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> > Jimmy
> >
> > --
> > "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> > and don't forget to run like an antelope.
> >
> > http://www.jimhutchison.com
> > http://music.jimhutchison.com

This is a funny cat. It seems you have a couple of choices. Put the
litterbox on the **** spot, put a big piece of furniture on the ****
spot, or electricute the **** spot. (kidding, kidding...)

I suggest the litter box.

You could of course, buy another house...

Bluesman

Bluesman
September 16th 04, 06:58 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message >...
> To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning, let Rutherford out of the
> bedroom to feed him, and discovered that he had ****ed all over and in his
> water dish that I had placed on his favorite non-litterbox spot.
>
> NOW he's just being an asshole.
> Come ON, Rutherford.
>
> Have you all used up your suggestions?
>
> Jimmy
>

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > Hi All:
> > Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and
> wall-spraying
> > cat...
> >
> > Last night I caught him squatting RIGHT after I cleaned the litter box
> > (about two hours after) in the 4 foot area that he has destroyed in our
> > living room with his urine. I feel that he MUST have known he was in the
> > wrong here, because I had to chase him around for about 15 minutes before
> > caught him to toss his naughty little ass into the bathroom with food and
> > water and his litterbox for the night.
> >
> > I placed his food (dry bowl), his breakfast (canned food) and his water
> > DIRECTLY on the "stink zone" as we like to call it. He hasn't touched it
> > yet, but I am worried about him now finding another place to ****. I
> can't
> > deal with much more of this, and if he finds another place to urinate in
> the
> > house, I'm gonna flip.
> >
> > I'll be making a doctor's appointment in a few days to see if we can get a
> > medical opinion. the only problem I have with the vet the last time (and
> > first time) we took him in was that she didn't have any real answers - she
> > just kept pushing her favorite flea and worm meds.
> >
> > Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> > Jimmy
> >
> > --
> > "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> > and don't forget to run like an antelope.
> >
> > http://www.jimhutchison.com
> > http://music.jimhutchison.com

This is a funny cat. It seems you have a couple of choices. Put the
litterbox on the **** spot, put a big piece of furniture on the ****
spot, or electricute the **** spot. (kidding, kidding...)

I suggest the litter box.

You could of course, buy another house...

Bluesman

Melanie's Phony Email Address for NGs
September 16th 04, 07:25 PM
Have you considered getting the gel pearls type of cat litter? My cat
had a paw pad infection and the vet said it was because of the
clumping cat litter. In fact, when I stepped on it, it cut my foot
too. (My cat gets her litter all over the place).

Anyway, I bought this new type of litter and it seems to be kind to
her paws.

~Melanie

Melanie's Phony Email Address for NGs
September 16th 04, 07:25 PM
Have you considered getting the gel pearls type of cat litter? My cat
had a paw pad infection and the vet said it was because of the
clumping cat litter. In fact, when I stepped on it, it cut my foot
too. (My cat gets her litter all over the place).

Anyway, I bought this new type of litter and it seems to be kind to
her paws.

~Melanie

jamie
September 16th 04, 10:03 PM
jimmy the LD > wrote:
> No:
> You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
> out.
> I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
> Prozac) and nothing has worked.

I didn't see this thread before I answered your POLL thread. It does
sound like his declawed paws could be an issue.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

jamie
September 16th 04, 10:03 PM
jimmy the LD > wrote:
> No:
> You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
> out.
> I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of the
> Prozac) and nothing has worked.

I didn't see this thread before I answered your POLL thread. It does
sound like his declawed paws could be an issue.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

jamie
September 16th 04, 10:13 PM
Mary > wrote:
> Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
> will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
> I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
> a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
> doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
> they are trying to tell you something is making them
> very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
> there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
> like people.

This reminded me of a funny incident when I was a child. My
grandmother came for a visit for the weekend, and every time Taffy
came near her, she glared at him, and said, "I don't like cats."
That evening, she unpacked her small zippered suitcase, and put the
empty suitcase, with the zipper flap open, on the floor in front of
the dresser. Taffy strolled in, squatted in the suitcase while
staring at my grandmother, and peed.

That was the only time Taffy *ever* peed outside the litterbox
his whole life, and I'm pretty sure he was being an asshole,
in retaliation.

--

Mary > wrote:
> Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
> will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
> I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
> a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
> doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
> they are trying to tell you something is making them
> very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
> there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
> like people.

This reminded me of a funny incident when I was a child. My
grandmother came for a visit for the weekend, and every time Taffy
came near her, she glared at him, and said, "I don't like cats."
That evening, she unpacked her small zippered suitcase, and put the
empty suitcase, with the zipper flap open, on the floor in front of
the dresser. Taffy strolled in, squatted in the suitcase while
staring at my grandmother, and peed.

That was the only time Taffy *ever* peed outside the litterbox
his whole life, and I'm pretty sure he was being an asshole,
in retaliation.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Mary
September 17th 04, 12:58 AM
"jamie" > wrote in message
> Mary > wrote:
> > Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
> > will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
> > I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
> > a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
> > doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
> > they are trying to tell you something is making them
> > very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
> > there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
> > like people.
>
> This reminded me of a funny incident when I was a child. My
> grandmother came for a visit for the weekend, and every time Taffy
> came near her, she glared at him, and said, "I don't like cats."

With all due respect to grandmother, who was the asshole first? :)

> That evening, she unpacked her small zippered suitcase, and put the
> empty suitcase, with the zipper flap open, on the floor in front of
> the dresser. Taffy strolled in, squatted in the suitcase while
> staring at my grandmother, and peed.
>
> That was the only time Taffy *ever* peed outside the litterbox
> his whole life, and I'm pretty sure he was being an asshole,
> in retaliation.
>
> --

I do agree that they send messages with inappropriate
elimination. But I don't think Jimmy's cat is all determined
to pee whereever he wants. There is a problem, and speaking
of assholes, it started with the assholes who declawed
Rutherford then gave him up.

Mary
September 17th 04, 12:58 AM
"jamie" > wrote in message
> Mary > wrote:
> > Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
> > will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
> > I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
> > a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
> > doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
> > they are trying to tell you something is making them
> > very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
> > there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
> > like people.
>
> This reminded me of a funny incident when I was a child. My
> grandmother came for a visit for the weekend, and every time Taffy
> came near her, she glared at him, and said, "I don't like cats."

With all due respect to grandmother, who was the asshole first? :)

> That evening, she unpacked her small zippered suitcase, and put the
> empty suitcase, with the zipper flap open, on the floor in front of
> the dresser. Taffy strolled in, squatted in the suitcase while
> staring at my grandmother, and peed.
>
> That was the only time Taffy *ever* peed outside the litterbox
> his whole life, and I'm pretty sure he was being an asshole,
> in retaliation.
>
> --

I do agree that they send messages with inappropriate
elimination. But I don't think Jimmy's cat is all determined
to pee whereever he wants. There is a problem, and speaking
of assholes, it started with the assholes who declawed
Rutherford then gave him up.

Barb
September 17th 04, 07:25 PM
I don't know who started this thread but flea and worm meds just can't be
all the vet could offer. What about urine and blood tests? Maybe another
vet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Barb
September 17th 04, 07:25 PM
I don't know who started this thread but flea and worm meds just can't be
all the vet could offer. What about urine and blood tests? Maybe another
vet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

AC
September 17th 04, 11:47 PM
While I'd agree that cats aren't responsible for some of the bull#$%# that
humans participate in, they do seek revenge, and they definitely DO have
personalities that have been shaped by their previous experiences mixed with
the genetics of their basic personality. The permutations of those
parameters suggest that there are many possibilities for errant behaviour.
Cats can express themselves in only limited ways, so claws, noise & bodily
fluids are usually the options. To correct this, (and before you ask, I have
corrected 2 adult cats of my own - adopted at full grown) you need to think
just like a cat, and only then will you understand that no amount of Dr
Phil's "find out it's currency" will work with cats (although it does with
dogs!) - they are simply too free-willed to be shaped with treats,
affection/withdrawal.

The main point here, is that in bringing what is obviously a free-ranging,
semi-wild cat indoors, you are pushing it uphill thinking that it will
respond in the desired human way. Just put yourself in the converse
situation - how hard would it be for you if someone said "stop using the
toilet, I want you to pee in the garden, especially when other animals are
around - because that signifies that you are the boss here"???

It's going to take time & persistance. The absolute ideal situation
considering no medical problems I would suggest, is building a run outside
(if poss) to ease the transition. This way, it will begin to understand that
it doesn't get punished for this behaviour outside, but does inside. It's
all about understanding and catering to its natural instincts, and giving
the cat hints on what's acceptable, where. And you definitely need to keep
up on the negative reinforcement (water pistol & loud noise, preferably
human). The cat will respond slowly, but don't expect miracles overnight.

"Mary" > wrote in message
m...

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message

> > > Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> > > to the vet??
> >

> > No:
> > You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
> out.
> > I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of
the
> > Prozac) and nothing has worked.
> >
> > I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think
> that
> > since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the
master
> > bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue
> > **** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by
> making
> > it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.
> >

> Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
> will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
> I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
> a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
> doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
> they are trying to tell you something is making them
> very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
> there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
> like people.

---

"Mary" > wrote in message
m...

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message

> > > Am I to understand that you have not taken him
> > > to the vet??
> >

> > No:
> > You are to understand that Rutherford has been to the vet, and he checks
> out.
> > I have tried EVERY suggestion I have been given (with the exception of
the
> > Prozac) and nothing has worked.
> >
> > I am considering the cat box thing, but I wonder if he's going to think
> that
> > since I moved the toilet from where it is currently located (in the
master
> > bathroom shower) to the living room that it's perfectly okay to continue
> > **** where he likes - especially since I will have catered to him by
> making
> > it easier to go on the carpet by moving the box.
> >

> Forgive the pun, but this is not a ****ing contest. It isn't "Rutherford
> will win or Jimmy will win." Move the box and see what happens.
> I think he has either an undiagnosed medical problem or
> a behavioral problem caused by something else you are
> doing. Cats that do this either have medical issues OR
> they are trying to tell you something is making them
> very uncomfortable. There is no mystery to it, and
> there is no "being an asshole" about it. Cats don't think
> like people.

---

AC
September 17th 04, 11:54 PM
Peeing in the water dish may be the best thing yet. Cats learn in funny
ways. A friend of mine once had a cat that learned to pee in THE TOILET!
from humans. So funny, people used to bring their friends to watch it.

The water dish doesn't correspond to cats to what humans think of as "eating
spot - keep that clean" at all. Cats have no concept of germs, or other
society-taught manners, only instinct shaped by experience.

An experiment I woud try also is placing several "water dishes" around the
house. If he starts going there, slowly decrease the amount of water in the
dish, then introduce litter to the bowls. Once you have this association,
you could build a "water bowl litterbox". Think slow change, just like the
frog in water.

"Karen" > wrote in message

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > > I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at
> that.
> > > would bet anything he is ill.
> >
> > He's not lethargic or anything, and the vet says he's fine.
> >

> I think you need a different vet. I'm sorry, but peeing in the water dish
is
> NOT just behavioural. THERE IS SOMETHING PHYSICALLY WRONG WITH THIS CAT.
> Whether or not you want to believe it, there is. I also agree with Megan
he
> may have a botched declaw job and if the vet you are taking him to did the
> surgery, you can BET he is going to say "Oh, there is nothing physically
> wrong".

---

"Karen" > wrote in message

> "jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> > > I'm sorry, but that sounds like illness to me. Desparate illness at
> that.
> > > would bet anything he is ill.
> >
> > He's not lethargic or anything, and the vet says he's fine.
> >

> I think you need a different vet. I'm sorry, but peeing in the water dish
is
> NOT just behavioural. THERE IS SOMETHING PHYSICALLY WRONG WITH THIS CAT.
> Whether or not you want to believe it, there is. I also agree with Megan
he
> may have a botched declaw job and if the vet you are taking him to did the
> surgery, you can BET he is going to say "Oh, there is nothing physically
> wrong".

---

Mary
September 18th 04, 12:10 AM
"AC" > wrote in message
[...]

> The main point here, is that in bringing what is obviously a free-ranging,
> semi-wild cat indoors, you are pushing it uphill thinking that it will
> respond in the desired human way. Just put yourself in the converse
> situation - how hard would it be for you if someone said "stop using the
> toilet, I want you to pee in the garden, especially when other animals are
> around - because that signifies that you are the boss here"???

I don't buy this. I have seen too many ferals and primarily outdoor cats
take to the litter box.

> It's going to take time & persistance. The absolute ideal situation
> considering no medical problems I would suggest, is building a run outside
> (if poss) to ease the transition. This way, it will begin to understand
that
> it doesn't get punished for this behaviour outside, but does inside. It's
> all about understanding and catering to its natural instincts, and giving
> the cat hints on what's acceptable, where. And you definitely need to keep
> up on the negative reinforcement (water pistol & loud noise, preferably
> human). The cat will respond slowly, but don't expect miracles overnight.

Hey Jimmy, is it safe for Rutherford to go outside?

Mary
September 18th 04, 12:10 AM
"AC" > wrote in message
[...]

> The main point here, is that in bringing what is obviously a free-ranging,
> semi-wild cat indoors, you are pushing it uphill thinking that it will
> respond in the desired human way. Just put yourself in the converse
> situation - how hard would it be for you if someone said "stop using the
> toilet, I want you to pee in the garden, especially when other animals are
> around - because that signifies that you are the boss here"???

I don't buy this. I have seen too many ferals and primarily outdoor cats
take to the litter box.

> It's going to take time & persistance. The absolute ideal situation
> considering no medical problems I would suggest, is building a run outside
> (if poss) to ease the transition. This way, it will begin to understand
that
> it doesn't get punished for this behaviour outside, but does inside. It's
> all about understanding and catering to its natural instincts, and giving
> the cat hints on what's acceptable, where. And you definitely need to keep
> up on the negative reinforcement (water pistol & loud noise, preferably
> human). The cat will respond slowly, but don't expect miracles overnight.

Hey Jimmy, is it safe for Rutherford to go outside?

Sara
September 18th 04, 03:14 AM
bonbon > wrote in message >...
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:56:44 -0400, "jimmy the LD"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi All:
> >Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
> >cat...
> (snip)
> >Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> >Jimmy
>
> Jimmy, I just joined, so forgive me if I'm posting with info you've
> already received.
>

> Perhaps he wants a larger litter box.
>
> If it's an open box, try one of those enclosed types.
>
> Try a different type of litter.
>
> If it's an open box, and up against a wall, try moving it 8-12 inches
> away from the wall. (that solved the prob. with my floor ****er)
>
> Is he an only cat? If so, get him a companion from the shelter. Once
> they've gotten acquainted, maybe the new guy will show him the
> correct place to ****.
>

> Again, sorry if I'm just repeating what you've already heard - I'm
> supposed to be getting ready for work, and didn't have time to read
> all of the previous posts. I know first hand how frustrating and
> maddening it is when you have a floor ****er, because you love the
> little fart.
>
> Good luck.
>
> -bonbon

My friend had a similiar problem...she ended up having to put her cat
outside on a leash for about twenty minutes once every couple of
hours. See if it works. Oh the reason she had to do that was because
he was "too clean" of a cat to put his paws in the "dirty" litter. It
didn't matter how often she changed the litter.
HTH
Sara

Sara
September 18th 04, 03:14 AM
bonbon > wrote in message >...
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:56:44 -0400, "jimmy the LD"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi All:
> >Another update on Rutherford the Brave, the floor-****ing and wall-spraying
> >cat...
> (snip)
> >Frustrated and sick of smelling the pee,
> >Jimmy
>
> Jimmy, I just joined, so forgive me if I'm posting with info you've
> already received.
>

> Perhaps he wants a larger litter box.
>
> If it's an open box, try one of those enclosed types.
>
> Try a different type of litter.
>
> If it's an open box, and up against a wall, try moving it 8-12 inches
> away from the wall. (that solved the prob. with my floor ****er)
>
> Is he an only cat? If so, get him a companion from the shelter. Once
> they've gotten acquainted, maybe the new guy will show him the
> correct place to ****.
>

> Again, sorry if I'm just repeating what you've already heard - I'm
> supposed to be getting ready for work, and didn't have time to read
> all of the previous posts. I know first hand how frustrating and
> maddening it is when you have a floor ****er, because you love the
> little fart.
>
> Good luck.
>
> -bonbon

My friend had a similiar problem...she ended up having to put her cat
outside on a leash for about twenty minutes once every couple of
hours. See if it works. Oh the reason she had to do that was because
he was "too clean" of a cat to put his paws in the "dirty" litter. It
didn't matter how often she changed the litter.
HTH
Sara

Alun
September 22nd 04, 10:09 PM
"Mary" > wrote in
m:

> "AC" > wrote in message
> [...]
>

>> The main point here, is that in bringing what is obviously a
>> free-ranging, semi-wild cat indoors, you are pushing it uphill
>> thinking that it will respond in the desired human way. Just put
>> yourself in the converse situation - how hard would it be for you if
>> someone said "stop using the toilet, I want you to pee in the garden,
>> especially when other animals are around - because that signifies that
>> you are the boss here"???
>
> I don't buy this. I have seen too many ferals and primarily outdoor
> cats take to the litter box.
>

>> It's going to take time & persistance. The absolute ideal situation
>> considering no medical problems I would suggest, is building a run
>> outside (if poss) to ease the transition. This way, it will begin to
>> understand that it doesn't get punished for this behaviour outside,
>> but does inside. It's all about understanding and catering to its
>> natural instincts, and giving the cat hints on what's acceptable,
>> where. And you definitely need to keep up on the negative
>> reinforcement (water pistol & loud noise, preferably human). The cat
>> will respond slowly, but don't expect miracles overnight.
>>

> Hey Jimmy, is it safe for Rutherford to go outside?

We had a declawed cat who used to use our son's carpet instead of the
litter box. We didn't have him declawed, his previous owner was made to get
rid of him by her homeowner's association (usual petty dictators).

I think that there is a definite possibility that being declawed means he
doesn't like stepping on cat litter. Unfortunately we never figured that
out at the time, but it makes sense. Do try the special cat litter that
someone suggested.

We did let this cat out, even though he was declawed, but he still came in
and used the carpet, which I think shows the importance of breaking bad
habits ASAP.

Alun
September 22nd 04, 10:09 PM
"Mary" > wrote in
m:

> "AC" > wrote in message
> [...]
>

>> The main point here, is that in bringing what is obviously a
>> free-ranging, semi-wild cat indoors, you are pushing it uphill
>> thinking that it will respond in the desired human way. Just put
>> yourself in the converse situation - how hard would it be for you if
>> someone said "stop using the toilet, I want you to pee in the garden,
>> especially when other animals are around - because that signifies that
>> you are the boss here"???
>
> I don't buy this. I have seen too many ferals and primarily outdoor
> cats take to the litter box.
>

>> It's going to take time & persistance. The absolute ideal situation
>> considering no medical problems I would suggest, is building a run
>> outside (if poss) to ease the transition. This way, it will begin to
>> understand that it doesn't get punished for this behaviour outside,
>> but does inside. It's all about understanding and catering to its
>> natural instincts, and giving the cat hints on what's acceptable,
>> where. And you definitely need to keep up on the negative
>> reinforcement (water pistol & loud noise, preferably human). The cat
>> will respond slowly, but don't expect miracles overnight.
>>

> Hey Jimmy, is it safe for Rutherford to go outside?

We had a declawed cat who used to use our son's carpet instead of the
litter box. We didn't have him declawed, his previous owner was made to get
rid of him by her homeowner's association (usual petty dictators).

I think that there is a definite possibility that being declawed means he
doesn't like stepping on cat litter. Unfortunately we never figured that
out at the time, but it makes sense. Do try the special cat litter that
someone suggested.

We did let this cat out, even though he was declawed, but he still came in
and used the carpet, which I think shows the importance of breaking bad
habits ASAP.

Mary
September 22nd 04, 11:12 PM
"Alun" > wrote

> > Hey Jimmy, is it safe for Rutherford to go outside?
> >

> We had a declawed cat who used to use our son's carpet instead of the
litter box. We didn't have him declawed, his previous owner was made to get
rid of him by her homeowner's association (usual petty dictators).

> I think that there is a definite possibility that being declawed means he
doesn't like stepping on cat litter. Unfortunately we never figured that
out at the time, but it makes sense. Do try the special cat litter that
> someone suggested.

I agree--I had a cat that was declawed--I actually had it done before I
realized what it really was, no excuse, I know--and she didn't like to
handle the litter either, so she would not cover her poo. I eventually
trained her to by taking her paws and gently covering her mess. But I do
think her mutilated paws had something to do with why she wouldn't cover it
up.

Mary
September 22nd 04, 11:12 PM
"Alun" > wrote