PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Do I get my cat to stop ****ing int the living room by...

jimmy the LD
September 16th 04, 03:45 PM
Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,

OR

Do I try some other method?

Jimmy

--
"...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
and don't forget to run like an antelope.

http://www.jimhutchison.com
http://music.jimhutchison.com

bonbon
September 16th 04, 04:30 PM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:45:39 -0400, "jimmy the LD"
> wrote:

>Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
>OR
>
>Do I try some other method?
>

>Jimmy

Jimmy, move the livingroom.<g>

I've thought about a bit more, and I really think you need another
_male_cat. When the fng ****es in the box, Rutherford The Floor
****er surely will want to go over and cover up the fng's smell with
his own wonderful scent.

-bonbon

bonbon
September 16th 04, 04:30 PM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:45:39 -0400, "jimmy the LD"
> wrote:

>Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
>OR
>
>Do I try some other method?
>

>Jimmy

Jimmy, move the livingroom.<g>

I've thought about a bit more, and I really think you need another
_male_cat. When the fng ****es in the box, Rutherford The Floor
****er surely will want to go over and cover up the fng's smell with
his own wonderful scent.

-bonbon

mlbriggs
September 16th 04, 06:48 PM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:45:39 -0400, jimmy the LD wrote:

> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?
>

> Jimmy

This is simply a suggestion as I have never had a similar problem:---
Instead of moving the litter box, add a few new ones and keep them scooped.
Also, try a fine scoopable litter (as opposed to the coarser ones) And,
yes, do consult a different Vet Do you give him loving attention --
brushing, petting, playing, etc. ? MLB

mlbriggs
September 16th 04, 06:48 PM
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:45:39 -0400, jimmy the LD wrote:

> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?
>

> Jimmy

This is simply a suggestion as I have never had a similar problem:---
Instead of moving the litter box, add a few new ones and keep them scooped.
Also, try a fine scoopable litter (as opposed to the coarser ones) And,
yes, do consult a different Vet Do you give him loving attention --
brushing, petting, playing, etc. ? MLB

September 16th 04, 07:21 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote:

>Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
>OR
>
>Do I try some other method?
>

>Jimmy

You're asking the wrong people in regards to ideal litter box
placement - ask the cat.

Meanwhile find a vet willing to assume there is a health issue and let
him figure out what it is.

-mhd

September 16th 04, 07:21 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote:

>Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
>OR
>
>Do I try some other method?
>

>Jimmy

You're asking the wrong people in regards to ideal litter box
placement - ask the cat.

Meanwhile find a vet willing to assume there is a health issue and let
him figure out what it is.

-mhd

Mary
September 16th 04, 08:51 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?

Move the box! See if it works.

Mary
September 16th 04, 08:51 PM
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?

Move the box! See if it works.

Mary
September 16th 04, 08:51 PM
> wrote in message
> "jimmy the LD" > wrote:
>
> >Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
> >
> >OR
> >
> >Do I try some other method?
> >

> >Jimmy
>
> You're asking the wrong people in regards to ideal litter box
> placement - ask the cat.
>
> Meanwhile find a vet willing to assume there is a health issue and let
> him figure out what it is.
>
> -mhd

Amen.

Mary
September 16th 04, 08:51 PM
> wrote in message
> "jimmy the LD" > wrote:
>
> >Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
> >
> >OR
> >
> >Do I try some other method?
> >

> >Jimmy
>
> You're asking the wrong people in regards to ideal litter box
> placement - ask the cat.
>
> Meanwhile find a vet willing to assume there is a health issue and let
> him figure out what it is.
>
> -mhd

Amen.

jamie
September 16th 04, 09:49 PM
jimmy the LD > wrote:
> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
> OR
> Do I try some other method?

This depends entirely on why he's going in the living room, which
could be any of a number of reasons:

-- He's trying to alert you, the only way he can, that he has a
medical problem. This should always be checked out first. If he
has a urinary tract infection, or crystals in his urine, he may have
started associating the litterbox with pain. Many other medical
problems can cause inappropriate urination behavior.

-- He's more finicky than you are about a clean litterbox. If this
is the case, you might have to retrain him by using completely fresh
litter, dumped out every day for month or so, before returning to
scooping the box every day.

-- He doesn't like to pee and poop in the same box, or doesn't want
to share with another cat, if you have one. Try adding an additional
litterbox.

-- He doesn't like the scent of the litter you're using, or the feel
of it on his feet, or someone put an air "freshener" near it that
repels him. Remove any air fresheners and try offering a few boxes
with different types of litter.

-- He saw another cat from the window and marked the living room as
his territory.

-- Something used in the living left an ammonia or urea smell, that
made it smell like the right place to go.

-- The area wasn't ever thoroughly cleaned with enzyme cleaners, and
continues to smell like the right place to go.

After having your cat checked out by your vet, I suggest making
sure the area in the living room is really thoroughly cleaned with
enzyme cleaners. Get down on your hands and knees and give it the
sniff test, cuz if you can still smell anything at all, the cat can
smell it even more.

If the area is carpeted, and a thorough soaking with enzyme cleaner
doesn't get it all, you may have to replace the carpet padding in
that area. If he managed to wet the tack-bar by the wall that holds
the carpet down, you will have to pry up the edge of the carpet and
treat the tack-bar directly. If he's managed to soak through to the
floor, you may have to treat the floor with sealant, although you
might be able to get away with spreading a good layer of OdorZout
(zeolite powder) under the new padding and on the tackbar.

After I had a flood in my hallway from a leak, the carpet service
unfortunately resealed the carpet with iron-on tape that smelled
somewhat like cat urine, and one of my cats started to go at one end of
the tape. I very thoroughly cleaned the area as I described above (and
replaced the tape with duct tape), until it passed the "sniff test."
Then I put down a petfood mat there, and made it their feeding area
for a few months, before slowly moving the mat back toward the kitchen.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

jamie
September 16th 04, 09:49 PM
jimmy the LD > wrote:
> [...]

the carpet down, you will have to pry up the edge of the carpet and
treat the tack-bar directly. If he's managed to soak through to the
floor, you may have to treat the floor with sealant, although you
might be able to get away with spreading a good layer of OdorZout
(zeolite powder) under the new padding and on the tackbar.

After I had a flood in my hallway from a leak, the carpet service
unfortunately resealed the carpet with iron-on tape that smelled
somewhat like cat urine, and one of my cats started to go at one end of
the tape. I very thoroughly cleaned the area as I described above (and
replaced the tape with duct tape), until it passed the "sniff test."
Then I put down a petfood mat there, and made it their feeding area
for a few months, before slowly moving the mat back toward the kitchen.

Jodie
September 17th 04, 02:59 AM
My mom's boy cat started ****ing around the basement, and she finally found
out he had pnuemonia. He acted perfectly healthy otherwise. A round of
antibiotics later, he no longer does it.

You don't want a litter box in the living room do you? You'll be back at
square one if you want to move the box again. Wash and clean the area, then
use some of those suggestions to cover up the section Rutherford is ****ing
on.

Jodie
September 17th 04, 02:59 AM
My mom's boy cat started ****ing around the basement, and she finally found
out he had pnuemonia. He acted perfectly healthy otherwise. A round of
antibiotics later, he no longer does it.

You don't want a litter box in the living room do you? You'll be back at
square one if you want to move the box again. Wash and clean the area, then
use some of those suggestions to cover up the section Rutherford is ****ing
on.

Alex Hunsley
September 22nd 04, 02:19 PM
jimmy the LD wrote:
> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?
>

> Jimmy

No, I don't think that would work, or else you'd need about 5 litter
trays for each new spot!
My kittens have just been litter trained - they're doing pretty well now
- and here's the tactics:

1) make sure their food is not too close to their litter (would *you*
like to eat near where you poop?)

2) in the UK you can get a product called Swifty which is an attractive
smelling fluid to cats - you put two little drops a day in the litter.

3) I use a UK product called Pet Away (I think) which you spray where
you *don't* want your cats to go pee pee/poop - use this especially
after cleaning up a pee that the cat has just done.

Also, just be vigilant, and if a cat looks like it's about to go, put
him/her in the litter. Obviously, you can't be there all the time to
catch this, but when you can, it will help...

Remember to remove clumped urine/poop from the litter frequently (I do
it almost daily for my two kittens), and every now and then completely
change the litter (which I do every few days).

The last word: positive reinforcement works much, much better than
negative. In other words, reward kitties for being good, don't punish
them for being 'bad' - it's not worth it.
Make sure you act pleased towards them when they do use the litter!

alex

Alex Hunsley
September 22nd 04, 02:19 PM
jimmy the LD wrote:
> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?
>

> Jimmy

No, I don't think that would work, or else you'd need about 5 litter
trays for each new spot!
My kittens have just been litter trained - they're doing pretty well now
- and here's the tactics:

1) make sure their food is not too close to their litter (would *you*
like to eat near where you poop?)

2) in the UK you can get a product called Swifty which is an attractive
smelling fluid to cats - you put two little drops a day in the litter.

3) I use a UK product called Pet Away (I think) which you spray where
you *don't* want your cats to go pee pee/poop - use this especially
after cleaning up a pee that the cat has just done.

Also, just be vigilant, and if a cat looks like it's about to go, put
him/her in the litter. Obviously, you can't be there all the time to
catch this, but when you can, it will help...

Remember to remove clumped urine/poop from the litter frequently (I do
it almost daily for my two kittens), and every now and then completely
change the litter (which I do every few days).

The last word: positive reinforcement works much, much better than
negative. In other words, reward kitties for being good, don't punish
them for being 'bad' - it's not worth it.
Make sure you act pleased towards them when they do use the litter!

alex

September 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Alex Hunsley > wrote:

>Remember to remove clumped urine/poop from the litter frequently (I do
>it almost daily for my two kittens)

Almost daily? Try several times a day, even if only for keeping your
house a little fresher. Just because it's a litter box doesn't change
the fact you have urine and feces just sitting there, and by my
standards that is not very pleasant or civilized.

-mhd

September 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Alex Hunsley > wrote:

>Remember to remove clumped urine/poop from the litter frequently (I do
>it almost daily for my two kittens)

Almost daily? Try several times a day, even if only for keeping your
house a little fresher. Just because it's a litter box doesn't change
the fact you have urine and feces just sitting there, and by my
standards that is not very pleasant or civilized.

-mhd

Peter Gordge
September 25th 04, 10:32 AM
Try a Feliway diffuser.
It releases a synthetic felins pherimone that calms cats and also,
reportedly, will deter unwanted toileting.
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?
>

> Jimmy
>
> --
> "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> and don't forget to run like an antelope.
>
> http://www.jimhutchison.com
> http://music.jimhutchison.com

Peter Gordge
September 25th 04, 10:32 AM
Try a Feliway diffuser.
It releases a synthetic felins pherimone that calms cats and also,
reportedly, will deter unwanted toileting.
"jimmy the LD" > wrote in message
> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?
>

> Jimmy
>
> --
> "...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
> and don't forget to run like an antelope.
>
> http://www.jimhutchison.com
> http://music.jimhutchison.com

Shirley Smith
September 26th 04, 08:26 PM
> wrote in message
> Alex Hunsley > wrote:
>
> >Remember to remove clumped urine/poop from the litter frequently (I do
> >it almost daily for my two kittens)
>
> Almost daily? Try several times a day, even if only for keeping your
> house a little fresher. Just because it's a litter box doesn't change
> the fact you have urine and feces just sitting there, and by my
> standards that is not very pleasant or civilized.
>
> -mhd

I am coming into this rather late and don't know if this has been said yet.
Be sure to have the litter box(s) out of the high traffic areas. A secluded
area is best...not somewhere anyone can be coming thru at any time. Just my
thoughts.
Shirley

Shirley Smith
September 26th 04, 08:26 PM
> wrote in message
> Alex Hunsley > wrote:
>
> >Remember to remove clumped urine/poop from the litter frequently (I do
> >it almost daily for my two kittens)
>
> Almost daily? Try several times a day, even if only for keeping your
> house a little fresher. Just because it's a litter box doesn't change
> the fact you have urine and feces just sitting there, and by my
> standards that is not very pleasant or civilized.
>
> -mhd

I am coming into this rather late and don't know if this has been said yet.
Be sure to have the litter box(s) out of the high traffic areas. A secluded
area is best...not somewhere anyone can be coming thru at any time. Just my
thoughts.
Shirley

[email protected]_comcast.net
October 3rd 04, 04:59 AM
Is this new or has your kitty been doing this all along? You need to
rule out any medical problems such as urinary tract infection, etc.

Assuming no medical problems. Use and enzyme cleaner (Nature's Miracle
or Petastic to name a few) and leave a small bowl of treats for a few
days. If it¹s on carpet then really let it soak in to the pad bellow.
You can usually rent or borrow a ³black light² to help find any spots
you may not know about

Try different litters, there is one called Dr Elseys (www.petstop1.com
or some of the big ones) which guarantees results. And keep the litter
box very clean. If all this fails try ³Feliway² either the spray or the
plug in. Expensive but it works.

But(t) first things first, rule out any medical problems.

"jimmy the LD" > wrote:

> Moving the litter box to the likeable spot in the living room,
>
> OR
>
> Do I try some other method?
>

> Jimmy

AC
October 22nd 04, 09:37 PM
Nice idea, but cats don't think like humans. To them, bodily functions are a
normal part of life, not to be hidden, or ashamed of.

To shape a cat, you need to think like a cat...

"Shirley Smith" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> > Alex Hunsley > wrote:
> >
> > >Remember to remove clumped urine/poop from the litter frequently (I do
> > >it almost daily for my two kittens)
> >
> > Almost daily? Try several times a day, even if only for keeping your
> > house a little fresher. Just because it's a litter box doesn't change
> > the fact you have urine and feces just sitting there, and by my
> > standards that is not very pleasant or civilized.
> >
> > -mhd
>
> I am coming into this rather late and don't know if this has been said
yet.
> Be sure to have the litter box(s) out of the high traffic areas. A
secluded
> area is best...not somewhere anyone can be coming thru at any time. Just
my
> thoughts.
> Shirley

---

Mimi Forsyth
October 23rd 04, 03:44 AM
<< > > Almost daily? Try several times a day, even if only for keeping your
> > house a little fresher. Just because it's a litter box doesn't change >>

We like our toilets flushed...cats like theirs clean too

www.mimiforsyth.com