PDA

View Full Version : air filter recommendation


September 17th 04, 09:47 PM
Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
smell?

Background: I have two cats and one of them refuses to cover her
"deposits" in the box. I clean the box twice a day and one of the
cats refuses to use a littermaid automatic box. Hence, I have litter
box smell between cleanings.

I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
recommendations?

Thanks!
S

Judy
September 20th 04, 04:20 AM
> wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
> smell?

I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
helps with the smell.

> Background: I have two cats and one of them refuses to cover her
> "deposits" in the box.

Why are you complaining? Uncovered poop is easily flushed into the toilet!

> I clean the box twice a day and one of the
> cats refuses to use a littermaid automatic box.

Can't say as I blame this cat.

> Hence, I have litter
> box smell between cleanings.

Hence, get off your butt!

> I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
> of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
> recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
> S

I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
comes to a human.

Judy
September 20th 04, 04:20 AM
> wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
> smell?

I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
helps with the smell.

> Background: I have two cats and one of them refuses to cover her
> "deposits" in the box.

Why are you complaining? Uncovered poop is easily flushed into the toilet!

> I clean the box twice a day and one of the
> cats refuses to use a littermaid automatic box.

Can't say as I blame this cat.

> Hence, I have litter
> box smell between cleanings.

Hence, get off your butt!

> I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
> of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
> recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
> S

I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
comes to a human.

Tiger Girl
September 21st 04, 01:36 AM
>> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
>> smell?
>
>I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
>helps with the smell.

Huh. I feed my cat extremely premium food (Eagle Pack). It gives his
poop an absolutely toxic odor. Especially the salmon. Ugh.

>
>> Hence, I have litter
>> box smell between cleanings.
>
>Hence, get off your butt!

Good idea. Hence, chill out and get off HIS butt. How rude. Perhaps
you have huge amounts of time to spare to follow your cat around and
clean the box every time it gets used, but some of us are raising
large families or have other serious demands on our time.

This newsgroup was torn apart years ago by people who used a heavy
hand with the judgmental criticism. Let's not have that happen again,
eh?

>> I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
>> of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
>> recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks!

To the original poster: I have tried any number of air filters - from
running the bathroom fan full time to those Honeywell filters that
plug into the wall to large scale HEPA filters (these really help with
cat allergies too!). The best thing I've found in filters is the
Honeywell ones. They're quiet, some have nightlights in them, and
they plug into the wall. They're about the size of a large male hand.
They use charcoal filters. It is my experience that if you're using
them to control cat box odor you need to change the filters waaay more
often than the manufacturer says - like once a month. Fortunately,
you can buy the filters in three-packs and they're relatively cheap.
The plug-in unit is around $15-$20.

A better solution, if possible, is to change the food. If you are
using cheap food, as our mutual friend assumed you are, you can
upgrade it to Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, something like that. If
you're using wet food, switching to dry food is guaranteed to improve
things if my cats are anything to judge by. And if you're using wet
food and have to keep on with that (my new baby came to me with a wet
food addiction; the switch to dry food is clearly going to take a lot
of time) you can experiment with different wet foods. Like I said,
the Salmon Eagle Pack makes an ultimately vile stench. The Lamb,
Chicken, and Tuna ones are not nearly as bad. I'm using Iams to hide
my other cat's thyroid pills in, and it doesn't make his poop stink
nearly as much as _any_ of the Eagle Pack formulae do.

TG

Tiger Girl
September 21st 04, 01:36 AM
>> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
>> smell?
>
>I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
>helps with the smell.

Huh. I feed my cat extremely premium food (Eagle Pack). It gives his
poop an absolutely toxic odor. Especially the salmon. Ugh.

>
>> Hence, I have litter
>> box smell between cleanings.
>
>Hence, get off your butt!

Good idea. Hence, chill out and get off HIS butt. How rude. Perhaps
you have huge amounts of time to spare to follow your cat around and
clean the box every time it gets used, but some of us are raising
large families or have other serious demands on our time.

This newsgroup was torn apart years ago by people who used a heavy
hand with the judgmental criticism. Let's not have that happen again,
eh?

>> I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
>> of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
>> recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks!

To the original poster: I have tried any number of air filters - from
running the bathroom fan full time to those Honeywell filters that
plug into the wall to large scale HEPA filters (these really help with
cat allergies too!). The best thing I've found in filters is the
Honeywell ones. They're quiet, some have nightlights in them, and
they plug into the wall. They're about the size of a large male hand.
They use charcoal filters. It is my experience that if you're using
them to control cat box odor you need to change the filters waaay more
often than the manufacturer says - like once a month. Fortunately,
you can buy the filters in three-packs and they're relatively cheap.
The plug-in unit is around $15-$20.

A better solution, if possible, is to change the food. If you are
using cheap food, as our mutual friend assumed you are, you can
upgrade it to Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, something like that. If
you're using wet food, switching to dry food is guaranteed to improve
things if my cats are anything to judge by. And if you're using wet
food and have to keep on with that (my new baby came to me with a wet
food addiction; the switch to dry food is clearly going to take a lot
of time) you can experiment with different wet foods. Like I said,
the Salmon Eagle Pack makes an ultimately vile stench. The Lamb,
Chicken, and Tuna ones are not nearly as bad. I'm using Iams to hide
my other cat's thyroid pills in, and it doesn't make his poop stink
nearly as much as _any_ of the Eagle Pack formulae do.

TG

September 21st 04, 02:39 AM
>
> I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
> helps with the smell.

Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.



> I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
> comes to a human.

Dude, what is your problem? Why do you feel it is necessary to answer
a honest question with sarastic remarks? Excuse me but since I work
12 hour+ days, I can not always scope the litter box immediately after
the cat exits. Why don't you go take a dump in a litterbox and see
how it smells uncovered after a couple hours. Maybe you should be
eating more "high quality food".

We go above and beyond to take care of our cats and treat them like
children in our family.

September 21st 04, 02:39 AM
>
> I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
> helps with the smell.

Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.



> I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
> comes to a human.

Dude, what is your problem? Why do you feel it is necessary to answer
a honest question with sarastic remarks? Excuse me but since I work
12 hour+ days, I can not always scope the litter box immediately after
the cat exits. Why don't you go take a dump in a litterbox and see
how it smells uncovered after a couple hours. Maybe you should be
eating more "high quality food".

We go above and beyond to take care of our cats and treat them like
children in our family.

Judy
September 21st 04, 02:45 AM
"Tiger Girl" > wrote in message
...
> >> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
> >> smell?
> >
> >I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality
food
> >helps with the smell.
>
> Huh. I feed my cat extremely premium food (Eagle Pack). It gives his
> poop an absolutely toxic odor. Especially the salmon. Ugh.
>
> >
> >> Hence, I have litter
> >> box smell between cleanings.
> >
> >Hence, get off your butt!
>
> Good idea. Hence, chill out and get off HIS butt. How rude. Perhaps
> you have huge amounts of time to spare to follow your cat around and
> clean the box every time it gets used, but some of us are raising
> large families or have other serious demands on our time.

Oh please! It takes all of 30 seconds or less to flip a smelly cat dropping
into the toilet and flush. I may not be raising a family but I do have
serious demands on my time, regardless, I can most certainly afford the time
it takes to take care of litter box issues, the same way as you can afford
the time to post your opinion and advice to the OP.

Judy
September 21st 04, 02:45 AM
"Tiger Girl" > wrote in message
...
> >> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
> >> smell?
> >
> >I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality
food
> >helps with the smell.
>
> Huh. I feed my cat extremely premium food (Eagle Pack). It gives his
> poop an absolutely toxic odor. Especially the salmon. Ugh.
>
> >
> >> Hence, I have litter
> >> box smell between cleanings.
> >
> >Hence, get off your butt!
>
> Good idea. Hence, chill out and get off HIS butt. How rude. Perhaps
> you have huge amounts of time to spare to follow your cat around and
> clean the box every time it gets used, but some of us are raising
> large families or have other serious demands on our time.

Oh please! It takes all of 30 seconds or less to flip a smelly cat dropping
into the toilet and flush. I may not be raising a family but I do have
serious demands on my time, regardless, I can most certainly afford the time
it takes to take care of litter box issues, the same way as you can afford
the time to post your opinion and advice to the OP.

Judy
September 21st 04, 04:56 AM
> wrote in message
om...
> >
> > I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality
food
> > helps with the smell.
>
> Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.
>
>
>
> > I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
> > comes to a human.
>
> Dude, what is your problem? Why do you feel it is necessary to answer
> a honest question with sarastic remarks?

Any sarcasism is of your perception.

>Excuse me but since I work 12 hour+ days, I can not always scope the litter
box immediately after
> the cat exits.

I work very long hours also. I am unable to scoop immediately either, but
when I return home after a long day - it takes no time at all to toss the
smelly stuff into the toilet.

> Why don't you go take a dump in a litterbox and see
> how it smells uncovered after a couple hours. Maybe you should be
> eating more "high quality food".

Sounds to me as though you need to get a life.

> We go above and beyond to take care of our cats and treat them like
> children in our family.

Seeing as you go "above and beyond" when it comes to your cats, why are you
whining?

Judy
September 21st 04, 04:56 AM
> wrote in message
om...
> >
> > I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality
food
> > helps with the smell.
>
> Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.
>
>
>
> > I am curious to know how you would deal with dirty diaper odour when it
> > comes to a human.
>
> Dude, what is your problem? Why do you feel it is necessary to answer
> a honest question with sarastic remarks?

Any sarcasism is of your perception.

>Excuse me but since I work 12 hour+ days, I can not always scope the litter
box immediately after
> the cat exits.

I work very long hours also. I am unable to scoop immediately either, but
when I return home after a long day - it takes no time at all to toss the
smelly stuff into the toilet.

> Why don't you go take a dump in a litterbox and see
> how it smells uncovered after a couple hours. Maybe you should be
> eating more "high quality food".

Sounds to me as though you need to get a life.

> We go above and beyond to take care of our cats and treat them like
> children in our family.

Seeing as you go "above and beyond" when it comes to your cats, why are you
whining?

September 21st 04, 12:02 PM
> Any sarcasism is of your perception.


Maybe, but it is responses like yours that ruin boards like this. A
simple question was asked about an air filter recommendation and you
felt the need to attack another person based on your perceptions of
reality.

> I work very long hours also. I am unable to scoop immediately either, but
> when I return home after a long day - it takes no time at all to toss the
> smelly stuff into the toilet.

hense, it is the last thing I do before I leave the house and the
first thing I do when I return.


>
> Seeing as you go "above and beyond" when it comes to your cats, why are you
> whining?

How is asking for an air filter recommendation whining? Sounds like
you're the one who needs to take a step back and rethink their outlook
on how they deal with people. Take some communication classes or read
some books on how to effectively deal with people.

This is my last response to your toils as you are not worth wasting my
time.

***To everyone else, thank you for the thoughtful and informative
responses to my original posts and air filter recommendations. I
apologize for the dialog above as it is out of subject.

September 21st 04, 12:02 PM
> Any sarcasism is of your perception.


Maybe, but it is responses like yours that ruin boards like this. A
simple question was asked about an air filter recommendation and you
felt the need to attack another person based on your perceptions of
reality.

> I work very long hours also. I am unable to scoop immediately either, but
> when I return home after a long day - it takes no time at all to toss the
> smelly stuff into the toilet.

hense, it is the last thing I do before I leave the house and the
first thing I do when I return.


>
> Seeing as you go "above and beyond" when it comes to your cats, why are you
> whining?

How is asking for an air filter recommendation whining? Sounds like
you're the one who needs to take a step back and rethink their outlook
on how they deal with people. Take some communication classes or read
some books on how to effectively deal with people.

This is my last response to your toils as you are not worth wasting my
time.

***To everyone else, thank you for the thoughtful and informative
responses to my original posts and air filter recommendations. I
apologize for the dialog above as it is out of subject.

mlbriggs
September 21st 04, 10:44 PM
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:47:19 -0700, psu104 wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
> smell?
>
> Background: I have two cats and one of them refuses to cover her
> "deposits" in the box. I clean the box twice a day and one of the
> cats refuses to use a littermaid automatic box. Hence, I have litter
> box smell between cleanings.
>
> I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
> of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
> recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
> S

It also helps to have a circulating fan in front of an open window. You
can turn the fan on and open the window when you return home.
Good luck. MLB

mlbriggs
September 21st 04, 10:44 PM
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:47:19 -0700, psu104 wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good air cleaner/filter for removing litter box
> smell?
>
> Background: I have two cats and one of them refuses to cover her
> "deposits" in the box. I clean the box twice a day and one of the
> cats refuses to use a littermaid automatic box. Hence, I have litter
> box smell between cleanings.
>
> I've been told that the Ionic Breeze air cleaner is good for this type
> of application. anyone have any experience with this? Any other
> recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
> S

It also helps to have a circulating fan in front of an open window. You
can turn the fan on and open the window when you return home.
Good luck. MLB

Tiger Girl
September 22nd 04, 12:23 PM
>> I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
>> helps with the smell.
>
>Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.

I just remembered something - I don't know how picky your cats are
about their litter (I know you said one won't use a littermaid). Have
you tried that new litter with the crystals in it? Has a funky
texture, but oh, oh, oh, does it have some sweet odor control...

I've got a fairly ancient cat (will be 17 in the spring) and his
digestive systems has _definitely_ become less efficient in the last
few years. He consumes vast amounts of water so the litter box fills
pretty quickly with clumps and he doesn't, er, reduce the same volume
of food to the same volume of droppings anymore. It also stinks more,
I guess because he's processing less of it. Anyway, even with dry
food it's pretty gross. He likes Arm & Hammer litter, and they came
out with a new formula that has crystals in it. There was a small but
noticeable improvement both in the volume of clumps I had to remove
and in the litterbox smell. I found some 100% crystals (don't
remember the manufacturer, but they come in a clear plastic jug) and
now I cut the Arm & Hammer about 50% with the crystals. I won't say
that I'd like to have the litterbox under my bed, exactly, but I do
really have to be right on top of the thing to smell it.

I found this stuff after reading a review on the web - someone had
decided to do a controlled experiment with her cat and rolled through
a number of litter alternatives, making notes on cat-friendliness,
smell control, cost, etc. I remember that she said that the crystals
were the most expensive, and that it took her cat a while to be
really comfortable with them, but that there was virtually no odor.
So it's not just my boy...

Tiger Girl
September 22nd 04, 12:23 PM
>> I don't know what you're feeding your cat, but feeding a high quality food
>> helps with the smell.
>
>Innova and Wellness dry cat food. Both high quality foods.

I just remembered something - I don't know how picky your cats are
about their litter (I know you said one won't use a littermaid). Have
you tried that new litter with the crystals in it? Has a funky
texture, but oh, oh, oh, does it have some sweet odor control...

I've got a fairly ancient cat (will be 17 in the spring) and his
digestive systems has _definitely_ become less efficient in the last
few years. He consumes vast amounts of water so the litter box fills
pretty quickly with clumps and he doesn't, er, reduce the same volume
of food to the same volume of droppings anymore. It also stinks more,
I guess because he's processing less of it. Anyway, even with dry
food it's pretty gross. He likes Arm & Hammer litter, and they came
out with a new formula that has crystals in it. There was a small but
noticeable improvement both in the volume of clumps I had to remove
and in the litterbox smell. I found some 100% crystals (don't
remember the manufacturer, but they come in a clear plastic jug) and
now I cut the Arm & Hammer about 50% with the crystals. I won't say
that I'd like to have the litterbox under my bed, exactly, but I do
really have to be right on top of the thing to smell it.

I found this stuff after reading a review on the web - someone had
decided to do a controlled experiment with her cat and rolled through
a number of litter alternatives, making notes on cat-friendliness,
smell control, cost, etc. I remember that she said that the crystals
were the most expensive, and that it took her cat a while to be
really comfortable with them, but that there was virtually no odor.
So it's not just my boy...