PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for Advice on New Cat vs. Old Cat

bchapp3182
September 30th 04, 12:14 AM
I rescued a male tabby cat and he lives in my home with my two resident
females. I did everything by the book as to how to introduce them. Kept
him in the room for weeks, slow introductions. When they finally did meet
the male violently attacked my older female. Weeks later he attacked my
younger female. Weeks went by again when they were seperated and I put
him into our master bedroom, not knowing my younger female was in there.
Well he found her and attacked her, I broke it up, she ran, he chased her
and attacked. This went on several times. She would run and he was
relentless attacking her. I'm at witts end with the male cat. He is
seperated and lives upstairs rotating thru the bedrooms. My females run
and hide if they hear him meow or even the jingle of his collar.

I'm very distressed as I've grown attatched over the months to the male
cat. However, I can't allow my resident cats to live in fear and get beat
up on.

I've tried cages, petting him while petting a resident cat in the same
room, rubbing the cats' scents on towels, etc, feliway--you name it.
REgardless, he tries to attack them every time.

All cats are neutered. It's been 5 months that this been going on. I
feel really guilty making the male cat live in the bedrooms but don't seem
to have a choice.

Any suggestions? Anyone with a similiar situation that ended happily? I'm
considering drugs for the male cat or a cat behavioralist--any comments on
these? Any advice you can give would be so appreciated--you have no clue
how this situation worries me. :(

~*Connie*~
September 30th 04, 04:13 AM
Have you tried putting him in a cage where the other cats can see him? I
found that the humiliation of being caged in front of free roaming friends
has helped. Other than that, Im out of suggestions. It is strange that the
newcomer is attacking the resident cats. Usually its the other way around.
I suppose it is possible you left him in his room long enough for him to
establish that it is his territory.

I would highly recommend a behaviorist if you can find one. Good luck and
keep us updated! Id like to hear about a good outcome.

"bchapp3182" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
> [...]

> and hide if they hear him meow or even the jingle of his collar.
>
> I'm very distressed as I've grown attatched over the months to the male
> cat. However, I can't allow my resident cats to live in fear and get beat
> up on.
>
> I've tried cages, petting him while petting a resident cat in the same
> room, rubbing the cats' scents on towels, etc, feliway--you name it.
> REgardless, he tries to attack them every time.
>
> All cats are neutered. It's been 5 months that this been going on. I
> feel really guilty making the male cat live in the bedrooms but don't seem
> to have a choice.
>
> Any suggestions? Anyone with a similiar situation that ended happily? I'm
> considering drugs for the male cat or a cat behavioralist--any comments on
> these? Any advice you can give would be so appreciated--you have no clue

blkcatgal
September 30th 04, 04:26 AM
If you can't find a behaviorist near you, you can consider consulting with
Dr. Nicholas Dodman and his staff at Tufts. They offer a service called
PETFAX. Here's some info on Dr. Dodman:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/facpages/dodman_n.html

S.

"~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
> Have you tried putting him in a cage where the other cats can see him? I
> found that the humiliation of being caged in front of free roaming friends
> has helped. Other than that, Im out of suggestions. It is strange that
the
> newcomer is attacking the resident cats. Usually its the other way
around.
> I suppose it is possible you left him in his room long enough for him to
> establish that it is his territory.
>
> I would highly recommend a behaviorist if you can find one. Good luck and
> keep us updated! Id like to hear about a good outcome.
>
> "bchapp3182" > wrote in message
> lkaboutpets.com...
> > I rescued a male tabby cat and he lives in my home with my two resident
> > females. I did everything by the book as to how to introduce them.
Kept
> > him in the room for weeks, slow introductions. When they finally did
meet
> > the male violently attacked my older female. Weeks later he attacked my
> > younger female. Weeks went by again when they were seperated and I put
> > him into our master bedroom, not knowing my younger female was in there.
> > Well he found her and attacked her, I broke it up, she ran, he chased
her
> > and attacked. This went on several times. She would run and he was
> > relentless attacking her. I'm at witts end with the male cat. He is
> > seperated and lives upstairs rotating thru the bedrooms. My females run
> > and hide if they hear him meow or even the jingle of his collar.
> >
> > I'm very distressed as I've grown attatched over the months to the male
> > cat. However, I can't allow my resident cats to live in fear and get
beat
> > up on.
> >
> > I've tried cages, petting him while petting a resident cat in the same
> > room, rubbing the cats' scents on towels, etc, feliway--you name it.
> > REgardless, he tries to attack them every time.
> >
> > All cats are neutered. It's been 5 months that this been going on. I
> > feel really guilty making the male cat live in the bedrooms but don't
seem
> > to have a choice.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Anyone with a similiar situation that ended happily?
I'm
> > considering drugs for the male cat or a cat behavioralist--any comments
on
> > these? Any advice you can give would be so appreciated--you have no
clue
> > how this situation worries me. :(

Joe
September 30th 04, 07:01 PM
First, is everyone altered. If not, especially the male, getting them
altered MAY fix the problem. However, I work in a rescue group and once in a
while we run across a cat we find has to be the only one. Sometimes they get
along with dogs, but not other cats.
Joe
> [...]

> and hide if they hear him meow or even the jingle of his collar.
>
> I'm very distressed as I've grown attatched over the months to the male
> cat. However, I can't allow my resident cats to live in fear and get beat
> up on.
>
> I've tried cages, petting him while petting a resident cat in the same
> room, rubbing the cats' scents on towels, etc, feliway--you name it.
> REgardless, he tries to attack them every time.
>
> All cats are neutered. It's been 5 months that this been going on. I
> feel really guilty making the male cat live in the bedrooms but don't seem
> to have a choice.
>
> Any suggestions? Anyone with a similiar situation that ended happily? I'm
> considering drugs for the male cat or a cat behavioralist--any comments on
> these? Any advice you can give would be so appreciated--you have no clue

September 30th 04, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the responses. All cats are fixed. I have tried putting him in
a cage but the resident cats run and hide out of fear and the male cat
just starts crying after about 20 min.

Perhaps I'll look into the cat behavioralist. Thanks.