PDA

View Full Version : Re: grieving loss of pet

Mary
September 30th 04, 06:45 AM
"Myriam Abramson" > wrote in message

> My cat had squaamous cell carcinoma for the past six months. I couldn't
let it go. I feel guilty for waiting so long. My cat died of a seizure
before I could get him to the emergency room. I thought I had some time,
maybe a couple more weeks with him. I knew he looked much worse than usual
the last day but he still ate his meal. He was there for me for 15 years and
then he couldn't wait any longer.

Myriam--I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my first cat in 2001--she was 20
and I adopted her at 6 months old. I, too waited too long. I was in denial,
and I think she suffered more than I should have let her. But I loved her
and she seemed like she didn't want to leave me--it was the look in her eye,
very sad and not wanting to be parted from me, is what I saw. Not wanting to
say goodbye though she knew she was dying. It is a very hard thing to go
through, for us and for them. Don't blame yourself, you're only human. You
loved him and he knew it. He no more expected you to be perfect than you
expected him to be. You did your best, and he knew you loved him through the
end. Be good to yourself now, come here and talk as others might say she was
"just a cat." After a while, maybe your heart will heal enough to give
another cat a forever home.

Barb
September 30th 04, 03:40 PM
I am sorry for your losing you cat. It's very painful, always. Fifteen is
a fairly long life for a cat and I have figured out that our cats have
shorter life spans than we do so hopefully we can care for them their whole
lives. I figured this out when I was diagnosed with breast cancer 7 years
ago and thought I was going to die. No one can care for my cats like I can
and I was running around making provisions for them. Leaving them behind
would have killed me but of course I over-reacted and now am just fine. A
few years later I lost my Moonshines at 15 years old of kidney disease.
Like your cat she died at home. She kind of drifted off into a sleep first
and I really didn't think she was suffering. I have had other terminally
ill cats euthanized but sometimes I think they can pass on at home. Cats
that went to the vet to be euthanized had terror in their eyes that I can
never forget. So you did the best for your cat and he was very lucky to
have you for his whole life.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

[...]

mlbriggs
October 1st 04, 05:53 PM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:18:29 -0400, Myriam Abramson wrote:

> My cat had squaamous cell carcinoma for the past six months. I
> couldn't let it go. I feel guilty for waiting so long. My cat died of
> a seizure before I could get him to the emergency room. I thought I
> had some time, maybe a couple more weeks with him. I knew he looked
> much worse than usual the last day but he still ate his meal. He was
> there for me for 15 years and then he couldn't wait any longer.
>
> I hate this crazy life that robs us of the time to spend with our
> loved ones.
>
> myriam

"...Rise up slowly, Angel. It is hard to let you go..."
Sincere sympathy MLB

mlbriggs
October 1st 04, 05:53 PM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:18:29 -0400, Myriam Abramson wrote:

> My cat had squaamous cell carcinoma for the past six months. I
> couldn't let it go. I feel guilty for waiting so long. My cat died of
> a seizure before I could get him to the emergency room. I thought I
> had some time, maybe a couple more weeks with him. I knew he looked
> much worse than usual the last day but he still ate his meal. He was
> there for me for 15 years and then he couldn't wait any longer.
>
> I hate this crazy life that robs us of the time to spend with our
> loved ones.
>
> myriam

"...Rise up slowly, Angel. It is hard to let you go..."
Sincere sympathy MLB

Linda E
October 4th 04, 12:54 AM
I am sorry for your loss.
Linda E.

"Myriam Abramson" > wrote in message

> My cat had squaamous cell carcinoma for the past six months. I
> couldn't let it go. I feel guilty for waiting so long. My cat died of
> a seizure before I could get him to the emergency room. I thought I
> had some time, maybe a couple more weeks with him. I knew he looked
> much worse than usual the last day but he still ate his meal. He was
> there for me for 15 years and then he couldn't wait any longer.
>
> I hate this crazy life that robs us of the time to spend with our
> loved ones.
>
> myriam

Linda E
October 4th 04, 12:54 AM