PDA

View Full Version : Acoming an Outdoor Cat

Iain
October 7th 04, 04:41 PM
I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

~Iain

cdchap911
October 8th 04, 12:12 AM
you can never be sure that a cat is not going to stray, and you can
absolutely never trust that some moron in a car wont deliberatly run her
down even if she's on the side of the road. my advice is to keep her inside
and only outdoors on a leash when you are there. if she is left alone
outdoors there is also always the chance that a roaming dog or animal will
find her and she will have no protection
"Iain" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

cdchap911
October 8th 04, 12:12 AM
you can never be sure that a cat is not going to stray, and you can
absolutely never trust that some moron in a car wont deliberatly run her
down even if she's on the side of the road. my advice is to keep her inside
and only outdoors on a leash when you are there. if she is left alone
outdoors there is also always the chance that a roaming dog or animal will
find her and she will have no protection
"Iain" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

MaryL
October 8th 04, 12:55 AM
"Iain" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

I would strongly advise that you change your current plans and work on
helping your indoor/outdoor cat to become an indoor cat only (*instead* of
the plan you mentioned of making her an outdoor cat). Outdoor cats are
vulnerable, even in the "safest" of neighborhoods -- all it takes is one car
at the wrong door or an encounter with one unfriendly dog or even coming
upon some people with evil intentions. All of my cats (during my adult
life, that is) have been indoor cats. One had been feral, and he adjusted
to the point where eventually he did not show any interest in the outdoors.
All of my cats have been healthy, happy, truly loving companions. It *is*
essential for you to provide a variety of toys, scratching surfaces, and
climbing areas for your indoor cat. I would strongly recommend some very
sturdy scratching posts and a very good cat tree. I got mine at
www.createacatdondo.com. Please reconsider your options.

MaryL

MaryL
October 8th 04, 12:55 AM
"Iain" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

I would strongly advise that you change your current plans and work on
helping your indoor/outdoor cat to become an indoor cat only (*instead* of
the plan you mentioned of making her an outdoor cat). Outdoor cats are
vulnerable, even in the "safest" of neighborhoods -- all it takes is one car
at the wrong door or an encounter with one unfriendly dog or even coming
upon some people with evil intentions. All of my cats (during my adult
life, that is) have been indoor cats. One had been feral, and he adjusted
to the point where eventually he did not show any interest in the outdoors.
All of my cats have been healthy, happy, truly loving companions. It *is*
essential for you to provide a variety of toys, scratching surfaces, and
climbing areas for your indoor cat. I would strongly recommend some very
sturdy scratching posts and a very good cat tree. I got mine at
www.createacatdondo.com. Please reconsider your options.

MaryL

October 8th 04, 04:24 AM
Hi Lain. Like all the others are saying, I agree that you should keep
kitty indoors. All my cats were strictly indoors and they still are in
a way I should say.
It is way too dangerous to let your cat to roam Last year there was a
racoon that had rabies in the yard and it approached the cathouse and
continued around the yard. I followed it around or a while and called
animal control. They said it definitely had drabies and had to destroy
it. I am thankful my kitties where not roaming at the time.

All my cats were always indoor cats. I had a situation a few years ago
where I had to move in with a friend who had no room especially for 7
cats! I had to make an outdoor condo for my kitties. I bought an 8X12
shed (aluminum siding, windows, insulation. heating. etc). I attached a
kennel to the shed so the cats stay enclosed at all times unless
supervised.
Things didn't work out so I moved out 3 years later and took the cat
condo with me. I am now working at a garden center on a farm and live
in the back in a schoolhouse that is now a rental for me. The cat condo
is right next to me. I can see it right from the huge window in my
bedroom. My cats never had it better! They have a beautiful view and I
evenn planted a garden for them. I wish I can take them all inside with
me but the place is just way to small. Even just for me.
Please check out my cat webpage:

http://www.geocities.com/mitchumgirl4/OURCATS.html

There are pics of them when they lived in normal houses with myself and
my twin sister and current ones.

:-)
Jane

[...]

Judy
October 8th 04, 04:35 AM
"Iain" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

I live in a cat friendly neighbourhood and spayed females - both outdoor
cats.

I spent a few weeks getting mey previous cat and now current cat, getting
used to the great out doors.

First of all, I spent time with them outside on the leash. We'd do the walks
around the block and when they turned (on their own) up our walkway - they
were ready to be turned loose as they knew where they lived. Then they were
released from the leash. Then I went out with them. They never travelled
far.

From my experience, once spayed females know where they live they do not
stray.

When my current cat is out, I check on her about every hour. When the front
door opens, she either shoots in like a rocket if she wants in, or she just
shows herself, if she's not ready. My previous cat was the same.

I can only suggest that when your cats are out that you check on them from
time to time.

Judy
October 8th 04, 04:35 AM
"Iain" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

I live in a cat friendly neighbourhood and spayed females - both outdoor
cats.

I spent a few weeks getting mey previous cat and now current cat, getting
used to the great out doors.

First of all, I spent time with them outside on the leash. We'd do the walks
around the block and when they turned (on their own) up our walkway - they
were ready to be turned loose as they knew where they lived. Then they were
released from the leash. Then I went out with them. They never travelled
far.

From my experience, once spayed females know where they live they do not
stray.

When my current cat is out, I check on her about every hour. When the front
door opens, she either shoots in like a rocket if she wants in, or she just
shows herself, if she's not ready. My previous cat was the same.

I can only suggest that when your cats are out that you check on them from
time to time.

Judy
October 8th 04, 05:02 AM

> "Iain" > wrote in message
> om...
>>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
>> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
>> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
>> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
>> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
>> during that time.
>>
>> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
>> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
>> sure. How can I?
>>
>> ~Iain
>
> I would strongly advise that you change your current plans and work on
> helping your indoor/outdoor cat to become an indoor cat only (*instead* of
> the plan you mentioned of making her an outdoor cat). Outdoor cats are
> vulnerable, even in the "safest" of neighborhoods -- all it takes is one
> car at the wrong door or an encounter with one unfriendly dog or even
> coming upon some people with evil intentions. All of my cats (during my
> adult life, that is) have been indoor cats. One had been feral, and he
> adjusted to the point where eventually he did not show any interest in the
> outdoors. All of my cats have been healthy, happy, truly loving
> companions. It *is* essential for you to provide a variety of toys,
> scratching surfaces, and climbing areas for your indoor cat. I would
> strongly recommend some very sturdy scratching posts and a very good cat
> tree. I got mine at www.createacatdondo.com. Please reconsider your
> options.
>
> MaryL

Just curious MaryL, what happens when it comes to yourself and your family
members?

Do you keep yourself indoors with toys to protect yourself from predators,
or do you venture out and just hope for the best?

**** happens. When it comes to cats - some people do have evil intentions,
but just remember that evil intentions are not restricted to cats.

Judy
October 8th 04, 05:02 AM

> "Iain" > wrote in message
> om...
>>I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
>> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
>> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
>> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
>> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
>> during that time.
>>
>> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
>> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
>> sure. How can I?
>>
>> ~Iain
>
> I would strongly advise that you change your current plans and work on
> helping your indoor/outdoor cat to become an indoor cat only (*instead* of
> the plan you mentioned of making her an outdoor cat). Outdoor cats are
> vulnerable, even in the "safest" of neighborhoods -- all it takes is one
> car at the wrong door or an encounter with one unfriendly dog or even
> coming upon some people with evil intentions. All of my cats (during my
> adult life, that is) have been indoor cats. One had been feral, and he
> adjusted to the point where eventually he did not show any interest in the
> outdoors. All of my cats have been healthy, happy, truly loving
> companions. It *is* essential for you to provide a variety of toys,
> scratching surfaces, and climbing areas for your indoor cat. I would
> strongly recommend some very sturdy scratching posts and a very good cat
> tree. I got mine at www.createacatdondo.com. Please reconsider your
> options.
>
> MaryL

Just curious MaryL, what happens when it comes to yourself and your family
members?

Do you keep yourself indoors with toys to protect yourself from predators,
or do you venture out and just hope for the best?

**** happens. When it comes to cats - some people do have evil intentions,
but just remember that evil intentions are not restricted to cats.

Iain
October 8th 04, 08:40 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...
> "Iain" > wrote in message
> om...
> >I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> > have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> > doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> > my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> > average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> > during that time.
> >
> > I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> > really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> > sure. How can I?
> >
> > ~Iain
>
> I would strongly advise that you change your current plans and work on
> helping your indoor/outdoor cat to become an indoor cat only (*instead* of
> the plan you mentioned of making her an outdoor cat). Outdoor cats are
> vulnerable, even in the "safest" of neighborhoods -- all it takes is one car
> at the wrong door or an encounter with one unfriendly dog or even coming
> upon some people with evil intentions. All of my cats (during my adult
> life, that is) have been indoor cats. One had been feral, and he adjusted
> to the point where eventually he did not show any interest in the outdoors.
> All of my cats have been healthy, happy, truly loving companions. It *is*
> essential for you to provide a variety of toys, scratching surfaces, and
> climbing areas for your indoor cat. I would strongly recommend some very
> sturdy scratching posts and a very good cat tree. I got mine at
> www.createacatdondo.com. Please reconsider your options.

Ideally she'd be an indoor cat, but I don't want to have to worry
about her escaping each time I open the door(I'd rather she just
loitered outside for an hour without straying so that I can retrieve
her). I have four entrances downstairs(including patio doors) and many
windows. What I want is something that is technically an outdoor cat
but one that is scarcly outdoors(for the reasons you describe).

Yes; I provide toys, attention, a large house and lots of play for
her.

~Iain

Iain
October 8th 04, 08:40 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message >...
> "Iain" > wrote in message
> om...
> >I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> > have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> > doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> > my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> > average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> > during that time.
> >
> > I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> > really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> > sure. How can I?
> >
> > ~Iain
>
> I would strongly advise that you change your current plans and work on
> helping your indoor/outdoor cat to become an indoor cat only (*instead* of
> the plan you mentioned of making her an outdoor cat). Outdoor cats are
> vulnerable, even in the "safest" of neighborhoods -- all it takes is one car
> at the wrong door or an encounter with one unfriendly dog or even coming
> upon some people with evil intentions. All of my cats (during my adult
> life, that is) have been indoor cats. One had been feral, and he adjusted
> to the point where eventually he did not show any interest in the outdoors.
> All of my cats have been healthy, happy, truly loving companions. It *is*
> essential for you to provide a variety of toys, scratching surfaces, and
> climbing areas for your indoor cat. I would strongly recommend some very
> sturdy scratching posts and a very good cat tree. I got mine at
> www.createacatdondo.com. Please reconsider your options.

Ideally she'd be an indoor cat, but I don't want to have to worry
about her escaping each time I open the door(I'd rather she just
loitered outside for an hour without straying so that I can retrieve
her). I have four entrances downstairs(including patio doors) and many
windows. What I want is something that is technically an outdoor cat
but one that is scarcly outdoors(for the reasons you describe).

Yes; I provide toys, attention, a large house and lots of play for
her.

~Iain

Iain
October 8th 04, 02:45 PM
wrote in message >...
> It is way too dangerous to let your cat to roam Last year there was a
> racoon that had rabies in the yard and it approached the cathouse and
> continued around the yard. I followed it around or a while and called
> animal control. They said it definitely had drabies and had to destroy
> it. I am thankful my kitties where not roaming at the time.

I want my cat to be indoors nearly all of the time. My concern is that
I have a very "open" house, with lots of doors opening and closing,
and I don't want her to stray just because she's been out the house
for half an hour before I notice. In other words, if she escapes I
want it to be no big deal, even though she'll almost always be inside.
I thought I could do this by taking her on a tour of the neighbourhood
on a leash, but can I?

I'm guessing from what you said about the raccoons that you're North
American. Here in Britain it's thought much more normal for cats to
roam(and some feel guilty about keeping them indoors), and you can't
walk down a village street without being greeted by one.

However, I take the threats of outdoors seriously and want to keep her
indoors.

> Things didn't work out so I moved out 3 years later and took the cat
> condo with me. I am now working at a garden center

It's funny you should mention that; my local garden centre has a cat
in it and is always sitting on atop the till, with it's tail hanging
down, everytime I go there! It doesn't seem to mind the near queue of
customers carrying potted plants.

> Please check out my cat webpage:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/mitchumgirl4/OURCATS.html
>
> There are pics of them when they lived in normal houses with myself and
> my twin sister and current ones.

They're nice pics, although the big ones seem to be missing :(

~Iain

Iain
October 8th 04, 02:45 PM
wrote in message >...
> It is way too dangerous to let your cat to roam Last year there was a
> racoon that had rabies in the yard and it approached the cathouse and
> continued around the yard. I followed it around or a while and called
> animal control. They said it definitely had drabies and had to destroy
> it. I am thankful my kitties where not roaming at the time.

I want my cat to be indoors nearly all of the time. My concern is that
I have a very "open" house, with lots of doors opening and closing,
and I don't want her to stray just because she's been out the house
for half an hour before I notice. In other words, if she escapes I
want it to be no big deal, even though she'll almost always be inside.
I thought I could do this by taking her on a tour of the neighbourhood
on a leash, but can I?

I'm guessing from what you said about the raccoons that you're North
American. Here in Britain it's thought much more normal for cats to
roam(and some feel guilty about keeping them indoors), and you can't
walk down a village street without being greeted by one.

However, I take the threats of outdoors seriously and want to keep her
indoors.

> Things didn't work out so I moved out 3 years later and took the cat
> condo with me. I am now working at a garden center

It's funny you should mention that; my local garden centre has a cat
in it and is always sitting on atop the till, with it's tail hanging
down, everytime I go there! It doesn't seem to mind the near queue of
customers carrying potted plants.

> Please check out my cat webpage:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/mitchumgirl4/OURCATS.html
>
> There are pics of them when they lived in normal houses with myself and
> my twin sister and current ones.

They're nice pics, although the big ones seem to be missing :(

~Iain

Dragon
October 8th 04, 04:44 PM
(Iain) wrote in message >...
> I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

As others have noted, I would not advise you to make your cat an
outdoor cat. Indoor cats can live to be over 20 years old. I believe
the average age outdoor cats live to be is under 10.

To be frank, I don't understand why you're worried about her escaping
if you're going to make her an outdoor cat! That just doesn't make
any sense. If you're going to make her an outdoor cat, why are you
worried if she gets out? The potential for her getting into trouble
is much higher if she's out all the time than if she's just out for
the afternoon...

If you're worried about her getting lost, I would advise you to get
her a collar with a name tag. That way, folks who encounter her will
know she's not a stray. Some well-meaning people will take a cat
without a collar to the local shelter. If you make it a collar in a
contrasting color to her fur, it will make her easier to describe if
you ever have to go looking for her. When our indoor cat got out for
three days last fall, it was *very* helpful to ask, "Have you seen a
black cat with a red collar?" since there were other black cats in the
area.

dragon

Dragon
October 8th 04, 04:44 PM
(Iain) wrote in message >...
> I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
> have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
> doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
> my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
> average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
> during that time.
>
> I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
> really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
> sure. How can I?
>
> ~Iain

As others have noted, I would not advise you to make your cat an
outdoor cat. Indoor cats can live to be over 20 years old. I believe
the average age outdoor cats live to be is under 10.

To be frank, I don't understand why you're worried about her escaping
if you're going to make her an outdoor cat! That just doesn't make
any sense. If you're going to make her an outdoor cat, why are you
worried if she gets out? The potential for her getting into trouble
is much higher if she's out all the time than if she's just out for
the afternoon...

If you're worried about her getting lost, I would advise you to get
her a collar with a name tag. That way, folks who encounter her will
know she's not a stray. Some well-meaning people will take a cat
without a collar to the local shelter. If you make it a collar in a
contrasting color to her fur, it will make her easier to describe if
you ever have to go looking for her. When our indoor cat got out for
three days last fall, it was *very* helpful to ask, "Have you seen a
black cat with a red collar?" since there were other black cats in the
area.

dragon

Tiger Girl
October 8th 04, 10:02 PM
>To be frank, I don't understand why you're worried about her escaping
>if you're going to make her an outdoor cat! That just doesn't make
>any sense. If you're going to make her an outdoor cat, why are you
>worried if she gets out? The potential for her getting into trouble
>is much higher if she's out all the time than if she's just out for
>the afternoon...

I think that "outdoor cat" must be a misnomer here. It sounds like he
concerned that his indoor cat will escape and that it will not have
the skills it needs in order to survive until he collects it from the
out-of-doors. Hence, Judy's suggestions about taking the cat for a
couple of strolls and getting it used to the neighborhood.

I think the point about the risks of outdoor cats is good, but I don't
think it's as much of a problem in Britain. They don't have rabies,
and they don't have nearly as many urban wild critters as we do in the
states or in Australia. Dogs, yes, and those are a risk, but not
coons, coyotes, venemous snakes, etc. I don't know what the density
of cat-poisoning lunatics is where this guy lives.

The thing I'd have to worry about with my cat is ingestibles. He's an
indoor cat, but he really like to go outside once in a while. I let
him out on the patio when I'm working outside in the garden & can keep
an eye on him (he doesn't understand "car" very well). He considers
the Great Beyond as his personal salad bar and has a taste for
blade-shaped foliage...like daylilies.

On the other hand, at the ripe and ancient age of 17 he has just, and
I mean _just_ discovered that mice are edible. He's always enjoyed
playing with them whenever he could find them inside, but he would
just play with them until they died, and then he'd sit on them. The
Tibby Trademark was a squashed kind of effect.

Now he lives with my fiance in an old house. All of a sudden last
weekend, he goes off his food. I am devastated all day Sunday,
thinking that This Is The Beginning of the End, when we come
downstairs on Monday morning to find a shiny pink mouse skeleton with
fur on only on its head, and an additional unidentifiable Mouse Part
lying next to it on the floor. The cat, arthriticky and nothing but
skin and bones himself, is passed out on the sofa. I was absolutely
floored. No wonder he wouldn't eat. He was spoiling his appetite with
MICE.

Sure enough...I take a closer look and realize that the standing about
staring at furniture that I'd taken for advancing senility is actually
hunting. He spends a lot of time staring at the undersides of sofas
and chests of drawers, and has mastered the trick of sleeping with one
eye while watching the spot where the drapes hit the floor with the
other. Jeff said when he came home the other night the cat was pasted
to the kitchen baseboards.

It's rather like seeing a 90-year-old man suddenly develop a taste for
strippers.

>without a collar to the local shelter. If you make it a collar in a
>contrasting color to her fur, it will make her easier to describe if
>you ever have to go looking for her. When our indoor cat got out for
>three days last fall, it was *very* helpful to ask, "Have you seen a
>black cat with a red collar?" since there were other black cats in the
>area.

Good advice! And you can make it a fashion statement as well!

Tiger Girl
October 8th 04, 10:02 PM
> [...]

hunting. He spends a lot of time staring at the undersides of sofas
and chests of drawers, and has mastered the trick of sleeping with one
eye while watching the spot where the drapes hit the floor with the
other. Jeff said when he came home the other night the cat was pasted
to the kitchen baseboards.

It's rather like seeing a 90-year-old man suddenly develop a taste for
strippers.

>without a collar to the local shelter. If you make it a collar in a
>contrasting color to her fur, it will make her easier to describe if
>you ever have to go looking for her. When our indoor cat got out for
>three days last fall, it was *very* helpful to ask, "Have you seen a
>black cat with a red collar?" since there were other black cats in the
>area.

Good advice! And you can make it a fashion statement as well!

October 10th 04, 04:46 AM
"Iain" > wrote in message
om...
> wrote in message
>> It is way too dangerous to let your cat to roam Last year there was a
>> racoon that had rabies in the yard and it approached the cathouse and
>> continued around the yard. I followed it around or a while and called
>> animal control. They said it definitely had drabies and had to destroy
>> it. I am thankful my kitties where not roaming at the time.
>
> I want my cat to be indoors nearly all of the time. My concern is that
> I have a very "open" house, with lots of doors opening and closing,
> and I don't want her to stray just because she's been out the house
> for half an hour before I notice. In other words, if she escapes I
> want it to be no big deal, even though she'll almost always be inside.
> I thought I could do this by taking her on a tour of the neighbourhood
> on a leash, but can I?

Taking my cat out on many tours of the neighbourhood on a leash worked very
well.

We went around the block on the leash many times and when she turned up our
walk "on her own" a few times, then I knew where she lived, so I released
her. Her turning up the walkway ahead of me, on her own told me that she
knew where she lived.

That was three years ago and there have been no problems.

Judy
October 10th 04, 04:46 AM
om...