PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Keeping Cats Outdoors Vs. Indoors

Michael Ejercito
October 9th 04, 01:11 AM
I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
How much more expensive is it?

Michael

MaryL
October 9th 04, 01:50 AM
"Michael Ejercito" > wrote in message
om...
>I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> How much more expensive is it?
>

> Michael

I can't imagine how it would be *any* more expensive, unless the cost is
based on more toys, scratching posts, cat tree, etc. -- but those would be
expenses for items that would last for a long time and could be shared by
more than one cat. It is possible (but not a certainty) that people with
indoor cats may schedule more regular veterinary checkups. However, that
would be only a guess on my part because this would depend entirely on the
individual caregiver. In fact, outdoor cats actually *should* receive more
vaccinations because they are the ones that come into contact with other
cats with unknown health problems. Balancing all this, indoor cats are
often healthier and they live longer (on average).

MaryL

MaryL
October 9th 04, 01:50 AM
"Michael Ejercito" > wrote in message
om...
>I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> How much more expensive is it?
>

> Michael

I can't imagine how it would be *any* more expensive, unless the cost is
based on more toys, scratching posts, cat tree, etc. -- but those would be
expenses for items that would last for a long time and could be shared by
more than one cat. It is possible (but not a certainty) that people with
indoor cats may schedule more regular veterinary checkups. However, that
would be only a guess on my part because this would depend entirely on the
individual caregiver. In fact, outdoor cats actually *should* receive more
vaccinations because they are the ones that come into contact with other
cats with unknown health problems. Balancing all this, indoor cats are
often healthier and they live longer (on average).

MaryL

Sunflower
October 10th 04, 12:16 AM
"Michael Ejercito" > wrote in message
om...
> I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> How much more expensive is it?
>

> Michae

Well, since an indoor cat can live 15-20 years versus an outdoor cat's 3-10
years, yes, over time an indoor cat will be more expensive to own. But,
they'll also provide more companionship and be healthier, so the tradeoffs
are worth it.

Sunflower
October 10th 04, 12:16 AM
"Michael Ejercito" > wrote in message
om...
> I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> How much more expensive is it?
>

> Michae

Well, since an indoor cat can live 15-20 years versus an outdoor cat's 3-10
years, yes, over time an indoor cat will be more expensive to own. But,
they'll also provide more companionship and be healthier, so the tradeoffs
are worth it.

Ashley
October 10th 04, 01:32 AM
"Sunflower" > wrote in message

> "Michael Ejercito" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
>> How much more expensive is it?
>>

>> Michae
>
> Well, since an indoor cat can live 15-20 years versus an outdoor cat's
> 3-10

Says who? Some of you guys are so dogmatic. Not everyone lives in high-rise
cities with cars whizzing past all the time. Not everyone lives in areas
where the wildlife is dangerous to cats.

Outdoor cats are the norm in New Zealand. Cats living to 15-20 years are
nothing unusual. If I didn't live somewhere where my cats could have
relatively safe access to the outdoors I wouldn't have cats as I,
personally, don't think it's fair to keep them constantly inside. Now, will
you "indoor only" types please realise that you have come to a decision,
that we "outdoor" types have also come to a decision and most of us do it on
the basis of information about cats and knowing our own environment.

Adding biased, selective information into the mix does not help at all, but
simply makes those spouting it look dogmatic and not worth reading.

Ashley
October 10th 04, 01:32 AM
"Sunflower" > wrote in message

> "Michael Ejercito" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
>> How much more expensive is it?
>>

>> Michae
>
> Well, since an indoor cat can live 15-20 years versus an outdoor cat's
> 3-10

Says who? Some of you guys are so dogmatic. Not everyone lives in high-rise
cities with cars whizzing past all the time. Not everyone lives in areas
where the wildlife is dangerous to cats.

Outdoor cats are the norm in New Zealand. Cats living to 15-20 years are
nothing unusual. If I didn't live somewhere where my cats could have
relatively safe access to the outdoors I wouldn't have cats as I,
personally, don't think it's fair to keep them constantly inside. Now, will
you "indoor only" types please realise that you have come to a decision,
that we "outdoor" types have also come to a decision and most of us do it on
the basis of information about cats and knowing our own environment.

Adding biased, selective information into the mix does not help at all, but
simply makes those spouting it look dogmatic and not worth reading.

Melissa
October 14th 04, 05:54 PM
(Michael Ejercito) wrote in message >...
> I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> How much more expensive is it?
>

> Michael

I've always found it cheaper to have indoor cats. I only have to pay
one vet visit a year and the only vaccinations I need are the
combo/distemper shot and Rabies every 3 years. I don't have to pay
for flea meds or worming meds. I think the only cost that increases
for indoor cats are toys and scratching items, but I would buy those
for an outdoor cat as well. You may also find you pay more in kitty
litter, but litter isn't that expensive. I don't have any of my cats
declawed so I don't have any cost there.

When we had outdoor cats we had to get the full range of shots.
Leukemia, FIP, etc. because they are common in my area. I had to keep
up with worming and flea medicine. Also at least once a year the
animal would have to go to the vet to get an abscess lanced or a cut
looked at or some other injury taken care off.

I would be interested in hearing why indoor cats are more expensive.
I just don't see how.

Melissa
October 14th 04, 05:54 PM
(Michael Ejercito) wrote in message >...
> I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> How much more expensive is it?
>

> Michael

I've always found it cheaper to have indoor cats. I only have to pay
one vet visit a year and the only vaccinations I need are the
combo/distemper shot and Rabies every 3 years. I don't have to pay
for flea meds or worming meds. I think the only cost that increases
for indoor cats are toys and scratching items, but I would buy those
for an outdoor cat as well. You may also find you pay more in kitty
litter, but litter isn't that expensive. I don't have any of my cats
declawed so I don't have any cost there.

When we had outdoor cats we had to get the full range of shots.
Leukemia, FIP, etc. because they are common in my area. I had to keep
up with worming and flea medicine. Also at least once a year the
animal would have to go to the vet to get an abscess lanced or a cut
looked at or some other injury taken care off.

I would be interested in hearing why indoor cats are more expensive.
I just don't see how.

Michael Ejercito
October 15th 04, 05:12 PM
(Melissa) wrote in message >...
> (Michael Ejercito) wrote in message >...
> > I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> > How much more expensive is it?
> >

> > Michael
>
> I've always found it cheaper to have indoor cats. I only have to pay
> one vet visit a year and the only vaccinations I need are the
> combo/distemper shot and Rabies every 3 years. I don't have to pay
> for flea meds or worming meds. I think the only cost that increases
> for indoor cats are toys and scratching items, but I would buy those
> for an outdoor cat as well. You may also find you pay more in kitty
> litter, but litter isn't that expensive. I don't have any of my cats
> declawed so I don't have any cost there.
>
> When we had outdoor cats we had to get the full range of shots.
> Leukemia, FIP, etc. because they are common in my area. I had to keep
> up with worming and flea medicine. Also at least once a year the
> animal would have to go to the vet to get an abscess lanced or a cut
> looked at or some other injury taken care off.
>
> I would be interested in hearing why indoor cats are more expensive.
> I just don't see how.

Kitty litter, scratching posts, vet visits, etc.

Michael

Michael Ejercito
October 15th 04, 05:12 PM
(Melissa) wrote in message >...
> (Michael Ejercito) wrote in message >...
> > I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
> > How much more expensive is it?
> >

> > Michael
>
> I've always found it cheaper to have indoor cats. I only have to pay
> one vet visit a year and the only vaccinations I need are the
> combo/distemper shot and Rabies every 3 years. I don't have to pay
> for flea meds or worming meds. I think the only cost that increases
> for indoor cats are toys and scratching items, but I would buy those
> for an outdoor cat as well. You may also find you pay more in kitty
> litter, but litter isn't that expensive. I don't have any of my cats
> declawed so I don't have any cost there.
>
> When we had outdoor cats we had to get the full range of shots.
> Leukemia, FIP, etc. because they are common in my area. I had to keep
> up with worming and flea medicine. Also at least once a year the
> animal would have to go to the vet to get an abscess lanced or a cut
> looked at or some other injury taken care off.
>
> I would be interested in hearing why indoor cats are more expensive.
> I just don't see how.

Kitty litter, scratching posts, vet visits, etc.

Michael

Raffles
October 22nd 04, 05:12 PM
"Michael Ejercito" > wrote in message
om...
> (Melissa) wrote in message
>> (Michael Ejercito) wrote in message
>> > I read that it is more expensive to keep a cat indoors than outdoors.
>> > How much more expensive is it?
>> >

>> > Michael
>>
>> I've always found it cheaper to have indoor cats. I only have to pay
>> one vet visit a year and the only vaccinations I need are the
>> combo/distemper shot and Rabies every 3 years. I don't have to pay
>> for flea meds or worming meds. I think the only cost that increases
>> for indoor cats are toys and scratching items, but I would buy those
>> for an outdoor cat as well. You may also find you pay more in kitty
>> litter, but litter isn't that expensive. I don't have any of my cats
>> declawed so I don't have any cost there.
>>
>> When we had outdoor cats we had to get the full range of shots.
>> Leukemia, FIP, etc. because they are common in my area. I had to keep
>> up with worming and flea medicine. Also at least once a year the
>> animal would have to go to the vet to get an abscess lanced or a cut
>> looked at or some other injury taken care off.
>>
>> I would be interested in hearing why indoor cats are more expensive.
>> I just don't see how.
>
> Kitty litter, scratching posts, vet visits, etc.
>

> Michael

indoor cats also need more toys! variety of foods.
Ours have their own fish tank to watch! LOL true we brought one just to keep
the cats amused.
I think they would like their own PC's too, their always walking across the
keyboard and trying to catch the cursor LOL