PDA

View Full Version : KITTEN QUESTION

Maggie Gyumolcs
October 20th 04, 05:28 PM
I have a 6 month old kitten and I was wondering at what age I should chand
to adult cat food.

Thanks,
Maggie

Raffles
October 20th 04, 08:14 PM
"Maggie Gyumolcs" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I have a 6 month old kitten and I was wondering at what age I should chand
>to adult cat food.
>
> Thanks,
> Maggie

a year old

Raffles

Cat Protector
October 20th 04, 09:27 PM
You can change now. I started my cat Isis out at 5 months of age and she did
just fine with adult cat food.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Maggie Gyumolcs" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I have a 6 month old kitten and I was wondering at what age I should chand
>to adult cat food.
>
> Thanks,
> Maggie

kaeli
October 21st 04, 01:42 PM
In article et>,
enlightened us with...
> I have a 6 month old kitten and I was wondering at what age I should chand
> to adult cat food.

Depending on activity level and breed, 6 months to a year.
Kitten food has more fat and calories for growing kittens (and pregnant or
lactating queens). It's calorie-dense, so that they get more when they don't
eat a lot. They'd have to eat more, quantity-wise, adult food to get the same
amount of fat and calories and many kittens won't eat enough due to their
small tummies. Some eat quite enough, even too much, so when free-fed, they
get fat. If your kitten is already above the weight he/she should be, you can
switch now.
If your cat is one of the larger breeds (over 15 pounds expected normal
weight at maturity), such as a Maine Coon or Norweigen (sp?) Forest Cat, wait
until a year of age to switch.

For my garden-variety DSH's, I switched at about 7-8 months.

~kaeli~
Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid
someone will clean them?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Raffles
October 21st 04, 09:21 PM
"kaeli" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> enlightened us with...
>> I have a 6 month old kitten and I was wondering at what age I should
>> chand
>> to adult cat food.
>>

> Depending on activity level and breed, 6 months to a year.
> Kitten food has more fat and calories for growing kittens (and pregnant or
> lactating queens). It's calorie-dense, so that they get more when they
> don't
> eat a lot. They'd have to eat more, quantity-wise, adult food to get the
> same
> amount of fat and calories and many kittens won't eat enough due to their
> small tummies. Some eat quite enough, even too much, so when free-fed,
> they
> get fat. If your kitten is already above the weight he/she should be, you
> can
> switch now.
> If your cat is one of the larger breeds (over 15 pounds expected normal
> weight at maturity), such as a Maine Coon or Norweigen (sp?) Forest Cat,
> wait
> until a year of age to switch.
>
> For my garden-variety DSH's, I switched at about 7-8 months.

> ~kaeli~

I changed mine at 1 year to adult cat food, all of mine are free fed dried
food, and are given raw, or wet food ever evening, none are over weight,