PDA

View Full Version : A HOUSE CAT - CRUEL OR KIND?

the dog from that film you saw
October 28th 04, 07:16 PM
just about to leave home (yay!) and into a place of my own.
i've always loved cats - i'm like a surrogate owner - i fuss over the
neighbours cats and love to do so.
so.... i'm thinking of getting a cat, to live in my flat, but it's a town
centre location so i think letting it out would be a no no.

that being the case - is it fair on the cat to keep them in at all times? -
will they get the exercise they need in a house?

if i thought it wasn't I'd simply go without.

and how about taking them for walks on a lead like a dog - realistic or
nonsense? - and would they go along with the idea?

--
Gareth.
Quote of the day.

M. MacDonald
October 28th 04, 08:02 PM
I know several people who walk their "house" cats. Some use regular collars
and some, the ones with the fat necked and small-head kitties, use a
harness.

However, in all cases their "house" cat walks them. They don't walk it.
They kinda let the cat smell and go where it wants to. Walks aren't very
far and usually around their yards. All know where their leashes are kept
and are on the counter ready to get dressed to go out.

So yes, it's possible.

Mack

kaeli
October 28th 04, 09:16 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> just about to leave home (yay!) and into a place of my own.
> i've always loved cats - i'm like a surrogate owner - i fuss over the
> neighbours cats and love to do so.
> so.... i'm thinking of getting a cat, to live in my flat, but it's a town
> centre location so i think letting it out would be a no no.
>
> that being the case - is it fair on the cat to keep them in at all times? -
> will they get the exercise they need in a house?
>
> if i thought it wasn't I'd simply go without.
>
> and how about taking them for walks on a lead like a dog - realistic or
> nonsense? - and would they go along with the idea?

Millions of cats in the States are indoor-only their whole lives and none the
worse for it.
You do have to take time to interact and play with your cat when it is indoor
only, though. If they go out, they find entertainment (as well as danger, of
course). If they stay in, they need you to make their environment fun for
them. Get kitty condos or kitty trees for inside for them to climb and
scratch. Get toys for them to play with. Play with them with interactive
toys.
And yes, you can teach them to walk on a leash. My Rowan loves it.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart/cat_harness.html

It's even easier to teach a cat that is already used to being outside.

Good luck!

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu thinks you'd make
a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Ashley
October 29th 04, 07:00 AM
"kaeli" > wrote in message

> Millions of cats in the States are indoor-only their whole lives and none
> the
> worse for it.
> You do have to take time to interact and play with your cat when it is
> indoor
> only, though. If they go out, they find entertainment (as well as danger,
> of
> course). If they stay in, they need you to make their environment fun for
> them. Get kitty condos or kitty trees for inside for them to climb and
> scratch. Get toys for them to play with. Play with them with interactive
> toys.
> And yes, you can teach them to walk on a leash. My Rowan loves it.
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart/cat_harness.html
>
> It's even easier to teach a cat that is already used to being outside.

I actually just found quite a good article on the differences in attitudes
to this - written by a Briton, and the Brits have a very similar attitude to
us Kiwis. It's interesting reading for both sides of the debate.

http://www.messybeast.com/indooroutdoor.htm

Ashley
(who would not own cats if she couldn't allow them relatively risk-free
access to the outdoors)

Dragon
October 29th 04, 02:29 PM
"the dog from that film you saw" > wrote in message >...
> just about to leave home (yay!) and into a place of my own.
> i've always loved cats - i'm like a surrogate owner - i fuss over the
> neighbours cats and love to do so.
> so.... i'm thinking of getting a cat, to live in my flat, but it's a town
> centre location so i think letting it out would be a no no.
>
> that being the case - is it fair on the cat to keep them in at all times? -
> will they get the exercise they need in a house?
>
> if i thought it wasn't I'd simply go without.
>
> and how about taking them for walks on a lead like a dog - realistic or
> nonsense? - and would they go along with the idea?

If you're going to be at work for a hunk of the day, be sure to get
two kitties when you decide to become a cat slave. As others have
noted, lots of toys and climby things will keep a cat happy and busy,
but nothing works as well as having a pal of their own kind to play
with. Two cats will keep each other company and you'll have less
destruction and depression to deal with. Two cats will be great
entertainment for you as well, as they're playing can be funnier than
the best sitcom. It doesn't take any more work to care for two, so be
sure to invest in two when you do :-)

dragon

the dog from that film you saw
October 29th 04, 04:48 PM
"Dragon" > wrote in message
om...
> "the dog from that film you saw"
> > wrote in message
>> just about to leave home (yay!) and into a place of my own.
>> i've always loved cats - i'm like a surrogate owner - i fuss over the
>> neighbours cats and love to do so.
>> so.... i'm thinking of getting a cat, to live in my flat, but it's a town
>> centre location so i think letting it out would be a no no.
>>
>> that being the case - is it fair on the cat to keep them in at all
>> times? -
>> will they get the exercise they need in a house?
>>
>> if i thought it wasn't I'd simply go without.
>>
>> and how about taking them for walks on a lead like a dog - realistic or
>> nonsense? - and would they go along with the idea?
>
> If you're going to be at work for a hunk of the day, be sure to get
> two kitties when you decide to become a cat slave. As others have
> noted, lots of toys and climby things will keep a cat happy and busy,
> but nothing works as well as having a pal of their own kind to play
> with. Two cats will keep each other company and you'll have less
> destruction and depression to deal with. Two cats will be great
> entertainment for you as well, as they're playing can be funnier than
> the best sitcom. It doesn't take any more work to care for two, so be
> sure to invest in two when you do :-)
>
> dragon

heh - sounds good - my family will stop thinking i'm insane now and become
convinced of the fact instead.

--
Gareth.
Quote of the day.
You're disgusting! you say he is sex lupines and sweep him away.
A chinese actress suffers the indignity of bad subtitles in the film 'red to
kill'

anon
November 25th 04, 08:22 AM
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:00:22 +1300, Ashley wrote:

/snip/

> I actually just found quite a good article on the differences in attitudes
> to this - written by a Briton, and the Brits have a very similar attitude
to us Kiwis. It's interesting reading for both sides of the debate.

> http://www.messybeast.com/indooroutdoor.htm
>
> Ashley
> (who would not own cats if she couldn't allow them relatively risk-free
> access to the outdoors)

Well, I've always put my energy into getting myself a place with a safe
outdoors for them. :) I wouldn't want to live without plenty of grass and
trees myself. On the occasions when I had to live in an unsuitable place, I
left my animals with family with a safe outdoors.

However I'm sure there are cats who have already been raised in an
indoor-only home, and perhaps leash-trained -- and now for some reason need
homes. Imo the OP should shop around till he finds one (or a pair) who
already prefers that kind of life.

Marianne

Monique Y. Mudama
November 25th 04, 05:55 PM
On 2004-11-25, anon penned:

> Well, I've always put my energy into getting myself a place with a safe
> outdoors for them. :) I wouldn't want to live without plenty of grass and
> trees myself. On the occasions when I had to live in an unsuitable place, I
> left my animals with family with a safe outdoors.

[snip]

> Marianne

Well, there are properties with trees and grass and whatnot around here; the
trouble would be the foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions. When they're hungry,
they're not picky. You see a *lot* of lost cat signs around here.

--
monique

Zythophile
December 18th 04, 12:00 PM
"Monique Y. Mudama" > wrote in message
> On 2004-11-25, anon penned:
>>

>> Well, I've always put my energy into getting myself a place with a safe
>> outdoors for them. :) I wouldn't want to live without plenty of grass and
>> trees myself. On the occasions when I had to live in an unsuitable place,
>> left my animals with family with a safe outdoors.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Marianne
>
> Well, there are properties with trees and grass and whatnot around here;
> the
> trouble would be the foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions. When they're
> hungry,
> they're not picky. You see a *lot* of lost cat signs around here.
>
> --
> monique

This article is an eye opener, I didn't realise that there was such a
different cat culture in the US.

51° 37' 23" N, 3° 56' 27" W

kaeli
December 20th 04, 04:14 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> This article is an eye opener, I didn't realise that there was such a
> different cat culture in the US.

Don't feel bad; most US people don't realize there's such a different cat
culture in Europe. :)

~kaeli~
Found God? If nobody claims Him in 30 days, He's yours to
keep.