PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep my CAT from going out the doggie door?

Robert Peltzman
October 31st 04, 12:30 AM
I've had my dog for years and just added a cat. He takes off during
the day (by way of the doggie door) and comes back at night to get
fed. I then close the doggie door and keep them both in all night.
Now, however, I find he's going into other homes (through their doggie
door) and terrorizing the occupants and their animals.
Any ideas on how to keep the cat in all day and night while letting
the dog freedom to go in and out during the day?????

Ted Davis
October 31st 04, 01:19 AM
On 30 Oct 2004 16:30:27 -0700, (Robert Peltzman)
wrote:

>I've had my dog for years and just added a cat. He takes off during
>the day (by way of the doggie door) and comes back at night to get
>fed. I then close the doggie door and keep them both in all night.
>Now, however, I find he's going into other homes (through their doggie
>door) and terrorizing the occupants and their animals.
>Any ideas on how to keep the cat in all day and night while letting
>the dog freedom to go in and out during the day?????

Do a Google search on
"electronic dog door"

A really smart cat might learn to defeat the collar key lock by going
out with/under the dog, but those things are your best bet unless the
cat can be trained to stay in.

What worked for some of my cats is obviously not going to work for
you: the presence of the (cat chasing) dogs in the back yard kept some
of the cats from attempting to go out. That was *not* desirable, and
I had to give the dogs away to get the cats to settle down and get
back to keeping the property free of mice - *before* they came inside.

--
T.E.D. )

Tiger Girl
November 5th 04, 03:41 AM
I'm sure I wouldn't be happy if this was my cat doing this, but the
vision of some cat stalking the neighborhood through the doggie doors
is pretty hilarious...I've been chuckling for five minutes at the
image.

wrote:

>I've had my dog for years and just added a cat. He takes off during
>the day (by way of the doggie door) and comes back at night to get
>fed. I then close the doggie door and keep them both in all night.
>Now, however, I find he's going into other homes (through their doggie
>door) and terrorizing the occupants and their animals.
>Any ideas on how to keep the cat in all day and night while letting
>the dog freedom to go in and out during the day?????

Ted Davis
November 5th 04, 03:11 PM
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:41:35 -0600, Tiger Girl >
wrote:

>I'm sure I wouldn't be happy if this was my cat doing this, but the
>vision of some cat stalking the neighborhood through the doggie doors
>is pretty hilarious...I've been chuckling for five minutes at the
>image.

Mickey, my neighbor's big fat neutered male, frequently comes in
through my cat flap to eat, drink, demand treats, and threaten my
cats. He was in the living room when I went to bed last night and
when I got up this morning. He has even my very large alpha male
intimidated.

T.E.D. )