PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant's 'Gold' : Okay for our cat?

DemoDisk
November 1st 04, 09:13 PM
PJ has been scratching lately, but I didn't know what brand of flea
treatment to get him. On the grocery run to Wal-Mart today, I found they
had 3 brands; Sergeant's (regular and 'gold' varieties), Hartz
(nightmare stories there), and another ("Nexxum" or something, about
$7.00 ).

Is the Sergeant's Gold okay, or should I hunt around for Fronline or
Advantage?

Here's what Sergeant's has

Etofenprox...........................55.00%
Pyriproxyfen...........................2.20%
INERT INGREDIENTS......42.80%

Anything frightening there? I remember that it was pyrethrins that made
Hartz so dangerous and that they refused to recognize the problem.

Any help you can offer, thanks alot.

JM

cdchap911
November 2nd 04, 02:55 AM
a word of caution i used hartz on my cat Toby Keith and he had an allergic
reaction to it and went into seizures. You can certainly guess what an
emergency run to the vets office on a sunday and a few days on meds for the
seizures and several bathes to wash all the flea product off him cost. the
vet told me many cats have this reaction. as a result of this because my
cats are indoors all the time except short walks on their leashes she felt
as long as my dog has flea products on her that i would not have a problems
and i have not.
"DemoDisk" > wrote in message

> PJ has been scratching lately, but I didn't know what brand of flea
> treatment to get him. On the grocery run to Wal-Mart today, I found they
> had 3 brands; Sergeant's (regular and 'gold' varieties), Hartz
> (nightmare stories there), and another ("Nexxum" or something, about
> $7.00 ).
>
> Is the Sergeant's Gold okay, or should I hunt around for Fronline or
> Advantage?
>
> Here's what Sergeant's has
>
> Etofenprox...........................55.00%
> Pyriproxyfen...........................2.20%
> INERT INGREDIENTS......42.80%
>
> Anything frightening there? I remember that it was pyrethrins that made
> Hartz so dangerous and that they refused to recognize the problem.
>
> Any help you can offer, thanks alot.
>
> JM

DemoDisk
November 2nd 04, 08:22 AM
"cdchap911" > wrote in message
news:eOBhd.353463$D%[email protected]_s51...
> a word of caution i used hartz on my cat Toby Keith and he had an
allergic
> reaction to it and went into seizures. You can certainly guess what an
> emergency run to the vets office on a sunday and a few days on meds
for the
> seizures and several bathes to wash all the flea product off him cost.
the
> vet told me many cats have this reaction. as a result of this because
my
> cats are indoors all the time except short walks on their leashes she
felt
> as long as my dog has flea products on her that i would not have a
problems
> and i have not.

Thanks for your answer. Interesting that your dog's flea protection
helps the entire house. PJ is also an indoor cat. I'd like to let him
explore the outdoors, and maybe a leash would allow that -- if I could
get him to accept a collar!

JM

Mimi Forsyth
November 2nd 04, 10:03 AM
<< explore the outdoors, and maybe a leash would allow that -- if I could
get him to accept a collar! >>

Please....a harness, not a collar! A cat can slip out of a collar easily. AND a
cat can get the lower jaw stuck under the collar & get very bloody while going
nuts. I've seen it & it wasn't pretty.

www.mimiforsyth.com

cdchap911
November 3rd 04, 03:37 AM
since the dog doesnt bring in any fleas the cats arent getting them because
they are rarely outside in grass or places they can get them...and i agree
use a harness much easier on the animal and safer