PDA

View Full Version : name frequency

Ken Phifer
November 27th 04, 03:32 PM
Is there a list on the internet showing the frequency with which
certain names are given to cats? Another way of saying this would be
relative popularity of cat names

thanks
Ken

I.P.Freely
November 27th 04, 04:22 PM
"Ken Phifer" > wrote in message
om...
> Is there a list on the internet showing the frequency with which
> certain names are given to cats? Another way of saying this would be
> relative popularity of cat names

Try

http://www.lostdogshome.org.au/cgi-bin/petnames/default.asp

--

I.P.Freely

Mike Rhino
November 28th 04, 03:43 AM
"I.P.Freely" > wrote in message
> "Ken Phifer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Is there a list on the internet showing the frequency with which
> > certain names are given to cats? Another way of saying this would be
> > relative popularity of cat names
>
> Try
>
> http://www.lostdogshome.org.au/cgi-bin/petnames/default.asp

I named my cat Samantha and then found out that a woman at work has a cat
with the same name. My sister named her two cats Puss and Boots. I felt
that there was something indecent about going outside and yelling "Puss"
repeatedly.

idseer
November 28th 04, 04:30 AM
the indecency is in your own mind.

"Mike Rhino" > wrote in message
> "I.P.Freely" > wrote in message
>> "Ken Phifer" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Is there a list on the internet showing the frequency with which
>> > certain names are given to cats? Another way of saying this would be
>> > relative popularity of cat names
>>
>> Try
>>
>> http://www.lostdogshome.org.au/cgi-bin/petnames/default.asp
>
> I named my cat Samantha and then found out that a woman at work has a cat
> with the same name. My sister named her two cats Puss and Boots. I felt
> that there was something indecent about going outside and yelling "Puss"
> repeatedly.

AC
November 28th 04, 10:18 AM
That actually got me thinking. Where did the word "puss" come from?

Apparently it's from the French, which (I suppose depending on the gender)
has the double meaning of feline & genital. The things you learn on
usenet...

""But the use of pussy as a term of endearment argues against the vaginal
sense being generally known before late 19c., e.g.:""

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=p&p=37

I'd say use it with impunity. Your neighbours are unlikely to call the cops.

"Mike Rhino" > wrote in message
> "I.P.Freely" > wrote in message
>> "Ken Phifer" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Is there a list on the internet showing the frequency with which
>> > certain names are given to cats? Another way of saying this would be
>> > relative popularity of cat names
>>
>> Try
>>
>> http://www.lostdogshome.org.au/cgi-bin/petnames/default.asp
>
> I named my cat Samantha and then found out that a woman at work has a cat
> with the same name. My sister named her two cats Puss and Boots. I felt
> that there was something indecent about going outside and yelling "Puss"
> repeatedly.

Mike Rhino
November 29th 04, 04:02 AM
I also remember seeing puss used in old movies as a synonym for face.

"AC" > wrote in message
> That actually got me thinking. Where did the word "puss" come from?
>
> Apparently it's from the French, which (I suppose depending on the gender)
> has the double meaning of feline & genital. The things you learn on
> usenet...
>
> ""But the use of pussy as a term of endearment argues against the vaginal
> sense being generally known before late 19c., e.g.:""
>
> http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=p&p=37
>
> I'd say use it with impunity. Your neighbours are unlikely to call the
cops.

> "Mike Rhino" > wrote in message
> > "I.P.Freely" > wrote in message
> >> "Ken Phifer" > wrote in message
> >> om...
> >>
> >> Try
> >>
> >> http://www.lostdogshome.org.au/cgi-bin/petnames/default.asp
> >
> > I named my cat Samantha and then found out that a woman at work has a
cat
> > with the same name. My sister named her two cats Puss and Boots. I
felt
> > that there was something indecent about going outside and yelling "Puss"
> > repeatedly.

Ken Phifer
November 29th 04, 10:30 AM
his
* money. Several years ago, however, Alvarez began listening to the
* speeches of Ross Perot, especially Perot's exaggerated [beat the drum
* of fear] warnings that the nation's savings and loan institutions
* were about to collapse. As a reult of mounting anxiety generated by
* the Texas businessman, Alvarez decided to move the nest egg from his
* savings and loan.
*
* He placed some of the money in a regular bank and hid the balance in
* small caches around the house.
*
* When the sky did not fall, when Ross Perot's predictions did not come
* true, Alvarez began slowly moving the cash in his house back into a
* bank. Partly because of his fear of a possible robbery, he chose to
* redeposit his money in relatively small amounts, $5000 or so at a time.
*
* While Alvarez had come to know Perot's gloomy predictions were off the
* mark, he did not know that the federal international government, in its
* hysteria about drugs, had persuaded Congress to greatly expand the
* government's

isnyc
December 1st 04, 03:47 AM
true.. doesn't seem right to stand out yelling "puss".. hmm