PDA

View Full Version : cats outside at night


Ray Ban
December 6th 04, 04:38 AM
Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
(temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an unheated
garage?

Fat Freddy
December 6th 04, 02:50 PM
> Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
> (temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an unheated
> garage?

I have a short hair, a medium hair, and a long hair cat. I try to make
them stay inside at night when it's cold, but sometimes they don't
cooperate and stay out all night. They have spent nights outside in
below freezing weather with no ill effects.

Ted Davis
December 6th 04, 09:37 PM
On 5 Dec 2004 20:38:01 -0800, (Ray Ban) wrote:

>Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
>(temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an unheated
>garage?

Everything depends more on what microclimates the cat can access than
on anything else. I wouldn't worry about 45 degrees F, but if the cat
didn't have a lot of choices, including coming inside, I'd worry about
sub zero temperatures.


T.E.D. )
SPAM filter: Messages to this address *must* contain "T.E.D."
somewhere in the body or they will be automatically rejected.

mlbriggs
December 10th 04, 12:15 AM
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 06:50:31 -0800, Fat Freddy wrote:

>> [quoted text muted]
>
> I have a short hair, a medium hair, and a long hair cat. I try to make
> them stay inside at night when it's cold, but sometimes they don't
> cooperate and stay out all night. They have spent nights outside in
> below freezing weather with no ill effects.


Several years ago when we had a really hard winter, several feral cats
that had been roaming our condo area were found frozen to death. They had
apparently crawled into the drainage ditch culverts seeking shelter.

Medusa
December 10th 04, 11:53 PM
Ray Ban wrote:
> Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
> (temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an unheated
> garage?
I have 4 indoor-outdoor cats and 45 degrees is fine for them
(shorthair). They only become reluctant about going out when it is
raining or below 30 degrees (or if there is snow on the ground). We have
a cat door from outside to the garage and several cat beds in the garage
(though they usually like to sit on my car). The garage is at least 10
degrees warmer than the outside and no wind.

stuart
December 11th 04, 02:56 AM
:
> > Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
> > (temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an unheated
> > garage?
This is not a critisism at all - since I don't know the reason behind
your question, it may well be concern due to your cats staying out at
night- but.....
we have Pets to share our lives, to enhance our environment/lives,
maybe even learn from, companionship, and so on.... I think it's only
right to share our home with them as well, they will learn to stay in
at night and grow accustomed to a daily schedule if you need to do that
to train them into being "day" cats, and not "night-owls"! plus feed
them generally as much as is possible- at the same time of day,
they'll soon learn to come in at the right time, and with the cat-door
closed, won't be tempted to go back out!
Plus being out at night their at more risk of injury - vehicles and
other animals - healthier to have them inside. (and I'd never ask any
cat to stay out in the cold!)

Ray
December 13th 04, 11:27 PM
I agree with your sentiments. Right now I have to make a decision
whether to let the cat stay outside at night, or give her up for
adoption (so far, no takers from no-kill shelters or other people).

Ray

stuart wrote:
> :
> > > Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
> > > (temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an
unheated
> > > garage?
> This is not a critisism at all - since I don't know the reason behind
> your question, it may well be concern due to your cats staying out
at
> night- but.....
> we have Pets to share our lives, to enhance our environment/lives,
> maybe even learn from, companionship, and so on.... I think it's
only
> right to share our home with them as well, they will learn to stay in
> at night and grow accustomed to a daily schedule if you need to do
that
> to train them into being "day" cats, and not "night-owls"! plus feed
> them generally as much as is possible- at the same time of day,
> they'll soon learn to come in at the right time, and with the
cat-door
> closed, won't be tempted to go back out!
> Plus being out at night their at more risk of injury - vehicles and
> other animals - healthier to have them inside. (and I'd never ask any
> cat to stay out in the cold!)

cdchap911
December 14th 04, 01:13 AM
i'm not an advocate of outside cats unless they are on a harness and leash
leading me around!!! but a friend used to put a heating pad on low with a
blanket on top of it in her unheated garage..
"Ray" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I agree with your sentiments. Right now I have to make a decision
> whether to let the cat stay outside at night, or give her up for
> adoption (so far, no takers from no-kill shelters or other people).
>
> Ray
>
> stuart wrote:
>> :
>> > > Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
>> > > (temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an
> unheated
>> > > garage?
>> This is not a critisism at all - since I don't know the reason behind
>> your question, it may well be concern due to your cats staying out
> at
>> night- but.....
>> we have Pets to share our lives, to enhance our environment/lives,
>> maybe even learn from, companionship, and so on.... I think it's
> only
>> right to share our home with them as well, they will learn to stay in
>> at night and grow accustomed to a daily schedule if you need to do
> that
>> to train them into being "day" cats, and not "night-owls"! plus feed
>> them generally as much as is possible- at the same time of day,
>> they'll soon learn to come in at the right time, and with the
> cat-door
>> closed, won't be tempted to go back out!
>> Plus being out at night their at more risk of injury - vehicles and
>> other animals - healthier to have them inside. (and I'd never ask any
>> cat to stay out in the cold!)
>

Zythophile
December 16th 04, 07:37 PM
"Ray Ban" > wrote in message
om...
> Are cat's coats thick enough to keep them warm outside at night
> (temperature in the 45 degree range)? How about inside an unheated
> garage?

My cats are fine in an unheated shed overnight, but minimum winter temps in
this neck of the woods are rarely lower than -5 deg C (sorry I can't do F).
They're both shorthaired. I think as long as they're dry and protected from
windchill, they're comfortable enough. Mind you they are only 5 and 7 years
old and in perfect health, I might have to rethink their winter overnight
accommodation when they're older.

Z