PDA

View Full Version : Christmas memories

Monique Y. Mudama
December 22nd 04, 11:10 PM
Well, Eric and I are staying home this Christmas. I'm glad to avoid the
stress and expense of travel, but sad that I won't be with my family. Well,
Eric's my family, too, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, a little anecdote from before I met Eric:

Several years ago, my brother K bought a townhouse. I moved in with him
to help both of us with expenses. K's dog Bear, a german shepherd/
labrador mix, was then a huge, rambunctious bundle of love and energy.

On this particular Christmas, mom and dad came to stay with us over the
holidays. We were all sitting on a big L-shaped couch. Bear had one of those
rope dog-bones, really just a thick piece of rope with a knot on each end. He
would bring it to a human, who would of course dutifully throw it. Rinse,
repeat, until that particular human lost interest, at which point he'd move to
the next person on the couch.

Well, eventually, Bear ran out of willing humans. Oscar, however, was still
perched on the back of the couch, observing the proceedings. Bear picked up
his bone, which weighed about half as much as the cat, carried it to the
couch, and plopped the bone down in front of her. His expression clearly
read, "Throw the bone for me!" Her expression clearly read, "FOAD."*

She never did throw the bone for him, and I doubt he could ever figure out
why.

* "Go forth, reproduce, and return to the earth whence you came," in polite
language.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

mlbriggs
December 22nd 04, 11:42 PM
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:10:36 -0700, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

> Well, Eric and I are staying home this Christmas. I'm glad to avoid the
> stress and expense of travel, but sad that I won't be with my family. Well,
> Eric's my family, too, but you know what I mean.
>
> Anyway, a little anecdote from before I met Eric:
>
> Several years ago, my brother K bought a townhouse. I moved in with him
> to help both of us with expenses. K's dog Bear, a german shepherd/
> labrador mix, was then a huge, rambunctious bundle of love and energy.
>
> On this particular Christmas, mom and dad came to stay with us over the
> holidays. We were all sitting on a big L-shaped couch. Bear had one of those
> rope dog-bones, really just a thick piece of rope with a knot on each end. He
> would bring it to a human, who would of course dutifully throw it. Rinse,
> repeat, until that particular human lost interest, at which point he'd move to
> the next person on the couch.
>
> Well, eventually, Bear ran out of willing humans. Oscar, however, was still
> perched on the back of the couch, observing the proceedings. Bear picked up
> his bone, which weighed about half as much as the cat, carried it to the
> couch, and plopped the bone down in front of her. His expression clearly
> read, "Throw the bone for me!" Her expression clearly read, "FOAD."*
>
> She never did throw the bone for him, and I doubt he could ever figure out
> why.
>
> * "Go forth, reproduce, and return to the earth whence you came," in polite
> language.

I guess to him the cat was a "human bean"~!

Monique Y. Mudama
December 23rd 04, 12:06 AM
On 2004-12-22, mlbriggs penned:

> I guess to him the cat was a "human bean"~!

I said he was huge, rambunctious, loving, and energetic -- notice that nowhere
in that list did I say, "smart"!

Lovely dog, anyway. Reminds me of a cartoon I saw today; the one with the
pirates. The dog explains that the great thing about being a Labrador is that
you can pick out your own Christmas present, and *still* be surprised, because
you've forgotten what you picked!

Come to think of it, I may be part Lab, too. I know I gave my mom some
direction in what to get me for Christmas, but I can't for the life of me
remember what it was. Can't wait to rip into the presents =)

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

polonca12000
December 23rd 04, 11:40 PM
What a great story! Thank you, Monique.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Monique Y. Mudama" > wrote in message
> Well, Eric and I are staying home this Christmas. I'm glad to avoid the
> stress and expense of travel, but sad that I won't be with my family.
Well,
> Eric's my family, too, but you know what I mean.
>
> Anyway, a little anecdote from before I met Eric:
>
> Several years ago, my brother K bought a townhouse. I moved in with him
> to help both of us with expenses. K's dog Bear, a german shepherd/
> labrador mix, was then a huge, rambunctious bundle of love and energy.
<snip>

Flippy
December 30th 04, 05:29 AM
Cute story, Monique!

Purrs,
--
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

"Monique Y. Mudama" > wrote in message
> Well, Eric and I are staying home this Christmas. I'm glad to avoid the
> stress and expense of travel, but sad that I won't be with my family.
> Well,
> Eric's my family, too, but you know what I mean.
>
> Anyway, a little anecdote from before I met Eric:
>
> Several years ago, my brother K bought a townhouse. I moved in with him
> to help both of us with expenses. K's dog Bear, a german shepherd/
> labrador mix, was then a huge, rambunctious bundle of love and energy.
>
> On this particular Christmas, mom and dad came to stay with us over the
> holidays. We were all sitting on a big L-shaped couch. Bear had one of
> those
> rope dog-bones, really just a thick piece of rope with a knot on each end.
> He
> would bring it to a human, who would of course dutifully throw it. Rinse,
> repeat, until that particular human lost interest, at which point he'd
> move to
> the next person on the couch.
>
> Well, eventually, Bear ran out of willing humans. Oscar, however, was
> still
> perched on the back of the couch, observing the proceedings. Bear picked
> up
> his bone, which weighed about half as much as the cat, carried it to the
> couch, and plopped the bone down in front of her. His expression clearly
> read, "Throw the bone for me!" Her expression clearly read, "FOAD."*
>
> She never did throw the bone for him, and I doubt he could ever figure out
> why.
>
> * "Go forth, reproduce, and return to the earth whence you came," in
> polite
> language.
>
> --
> monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream
> DLH
> with an attitude!

---