PDA

View Full Version : laser pointer batteries

ken
December 23rd 04, 03:32 PM
How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
toys?

Mine are givng out after only 10 days.

Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
batteries?

jmcquown
December 23rd 04, 03:55 PM
ken wrote:
> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> toys?
>
> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.

(Cross-posting snipped)

You must be using that thing a LOT. I've had mine for a couple of years
now. Of course, I only have one cat and we only play "chase the red
greebling" a couple of times a month.

> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> batteries?

Don't look for laser "toys"; look for laser pointers or laser pens used in
business applications. Below is just one site I found when I did a Google
search for Laser Pointers which has some that use regular batteries.

http://www.amazing1.com/laser.htm

Jill

Gary
December 23rd 04, 03:57 PM
"ken" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> toys?
>
> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.

Lasers are extremely power hungry, some batterries have lasted me only a few
hours! I think a pack of rechargeables and charger would be the cheapest
option in the long run...

Do your cats enjoy the toy?

Gary.

ken
December 23rd 04, 04:14 PM
yes the cats enjoy it very much - every evening just before I go to
bed, they sit under the place where i keep the pointer & wait for abut
5-10 minutes of wild chasing the red dot - up the stairs, around the
house and even up the doors and walls.

Ken

Gary
December 23rd 04, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I have had similar experiences. Cool toy :)

---MIKE---
December 23rd 04, 04:43 PM
I don't know about laser pointers but rechargables don't last very long
in my camera. Lithium batteries are expensive but last a lot longer
than alkalines. I wouldn't recommend a laser pointer designed for
business use. It would be a lot more powerful than a toy pointer and
could be risky if it pointed into an eye.

---MIKE---

Angela St.Aubin
December 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
"ken" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> toys?
>
> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
>
> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> batteries?

I dont replace the batteries, as they cost about 4 dollars, and the laser
pointers, complete with batteries cost 2.50 at a dollar store. i just buy
lots of the whole package.

Mary
December 23rd 04, 06:49 PM
"ken" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> toys?
>
> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
>
> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> batteries?

Mine last for months, but we only play a little while every night.

ie
December 23rd 04, 06:51 PM
hmm...we have two kinds, one green plastic thing that looks like a bug and
it uses AA or AAA but we keep dropping it and the scotch tape repairs are
not keeping up..

The other looks like a silver bullet on a key chain (Petco) that uses two
button cells AG13. We don't use it as much but the batteries have lasted a
year. Since the other one died we'll be using it more often and getting new
batteries today...will let you know if they perform well....

--
ie
"ride fast, take chances"

"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
. ..

> "ken" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> > toys?
> >
> > Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
> >
> > Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> > batteries?
> >

> I dont replace the batteries, as they cost about 4 dollars, and the laser
> pointers, complete with batteries cost 2.50 at a dollar store. i just buy
> lots of the whole package.

Mary
December 23rd 04, 06:55 PM
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
. ..

> "ken" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> > toys?
> >
> > Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
> >
> > Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> > batteries?
> >

> I dont replace the batteries, as they cost about 4 dollars, and the laser
> pointers, complete with batteries cost 2.50 at a dollar store. i just buy
> lots of the whole package.

Now that is smart!

Mary
December 23rd 04, 07:03 PM
"ie" > wrote in message
> hmm...we have two kinds, one green plastic thing that looks like a bug and
> it uses AA or AAA but we keep dropping it and the scotch tape repairs are
> not keeping up..
>
> The other looks like a silver bullet on a key chain (Petco) that uses two
> button cells AG13. We don't use it as much but the batteries have lasted
> year. Since the other one died we'll be using it more often and getting
new
> batteries today...will let you know if they perform well....
>
> --

These button cells are the kind I use that last for months. I have the
same kind of keychain pointer.

mlbriggs
December 23rd 04, 07:39 PM
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:32:33 -0800, ken wrote:

> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> toys?
>
> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
>
> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> batteries?
I gave up using the laser because of it's tremendous appetite for
batteries. MLB

Jmagerl
December 23rd 04, 10:10 PM
The local dollar store (Deals) sells laser pointers with batteries for
....welll...$1. Cheaper than buying batteries. I have a drawer full of dead
pointers I just can't seem to throw away. Since I have alot of them to
experiment with, it doesn't take much to mount one to an AAA battery holder.
THey last a long long time running off of AAA batteries.

Their life span is dependant on the amount of usage. I get about a month of
intermittant usage. Mr. Bonkers seems to have out grown the pointer though.

"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
. ..

> "ken" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
>> toys?
>>
>> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
>>
>> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
>> batteries?
>>

> I dont replace the batteries, as they cost about 4 dollars, and the laser
> pointers, complete with batteries cost 2.50 at a dollar store. i just buy
> lots of the whole package.

Jo Firey
December 23rd 04, 10:18 PM
The ones we buy in the pet store die after a week or so. And it isn't the
batteries. It may be my grandsons fondness for taking things apart.

I bought a cheep laser pointer at Staples last time. It was about $16,
twice what the ones at the pet store cost. But it uses AAA batteries and it
is still working.

Jo
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> ken wrote:
>> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
>> toys?
>>
>> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
>>
> (Cross-posting snipped)
>
> You must be using that thing a LOT. I've had mine for a couple of years
> now. Of course, I only have one cat and we only play "chase the red
> greebling" a couple of times a month.
>
>> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
>> batteries?
>
> Don't look for laser "toys"; look for laser pointers or laser pens used in
> business applications. Below is just one site I found when I did a Google
> search for Laser Pointers which has some that use regular batteries.
>
> http://www.amazing1.com/laser.htm
>
> Jill

rpl
December 23rd 04, 11:08 PM
ken wrote:
> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> toys?
>
> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
>
> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> batteries?

I've had a few laser pointers, the cost of those dime-sized batteries is
ridiculous.

Ive also got a larger model which takes AAA batteries (which are for the
el-cheapo brands $5 for 25)... I misplaced the pointer long before I ran
out of batteries (note to self... find laser-pointer).

pat

December 23rd 04, 11:57 PM
In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes Mary > wrote:

> "Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
>>
>> I dont replace the batteries, as they cost about 4 dollars, and
>> the laser pointers, complete with batteries cost 2.50 at a dollar
>> store. i just buy lots of the whole package.
>>
> Now that is smart!

It's money-smart, but kind of wasteful. Not that I blame the OP - what
is she supposed to do, throw away money? I just wish it didn't cost more
to repair (or maintain in any way, including replacing the batteries)
electronic and other gadgets, than it does to buy a whole new one. Just
more junk for the landfills.

Joyce

December 23rd 04, 11:59 PM
Jmagerl > wrote:

> Since I have alot of them to experiment with, it doesn't take much
> to mount one to an AAA battery holder.

How does one "mount one" to a AAA battery holder? Sounds like a good
idea.

Joyce

December 24th 04, 12:00 AM
rpl > wrote:

> Ive also got a larger model which takes AAA batteries (which are
> for the el-cheapo brands $5 for 25)...

What's the brand? Where'd you get it?

Joyce

TCS
December 24th 04, 12:10 AM
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:57:55 GMT, > wrote:
>In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes Mary > wrote:

> > "Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I dont replace the batteries, as they cost about 4 dollars, and
> >> the laser pointers, complete with batteries cost 2.50 at a dollar
> >> store. i just buy lots of the whole package.
> >>
> > Now that is smart!

>It's money-smart, but kind of wasteful. Not that I blame the OP - what
>is she supposed to do, throw away money? I just wish it didn't cost more
>to repair (or maintain in any way, including replacing the batteries)
>electronic and other gadgets, than it does to buy a whole new one. Just
>more junk for the landfills.

Better yet, try to garner 4 braincells (ask your friends if necessary) and
get a laser pointer that uses cheap batteries. Ones that use AAA or AA
batteries are very common.

Jmagerl
December 24th 04, 01:52 AM
I had made a wooden battery with a thumbtack for a front contact and a wire
friction fit to the case as a back contact whose total length was equal to 3
batteries. THe wood battery has a hole drilled thru it to pass the wire from
the thumbtack. drilled a hole in the back screw-on cap to pass the wires
thru and then soldered on a 2 cell AAA battery holder from radio shack and
then electrical taped the pointer to the batter holder. not pretty but its
been 1 year now without replacing batteries. I originally tried removing the
active laser element but its friction fit to the case.

> wrote in message
> Jmagerl > wrote:
>
> > Since I have alot of them to experiment with, it doesn't take much
> > to mount one to an AAA battery holder.
>
> How does one "mount one" to a AAA battery holder? Sounds like a good
> idea.
>
> Joyce

rpl
December 24th 04, 05:50 AM
wrote:
> rpl > wrote:
>
> > Ive also got a larger model which takes AAA batteries (which are
> > for the el-cheapo brands $5 for 25)...
>
> What's the brand? Where'd you get it?
>
> Joyce

It was at Radio Shack; they had a couple different models; the one I
purchased was designed more for use as a laser pointer rather then a
cat-toy or keychain fob; it set me back $60 (I think) at the time, but
that was a few years ago

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?find=laser+pointer

lots cheaper than they used to be.

I was visiting relatives and decided a cat (which had been left with
them for awhile) was moping around too much... turned out the cat hated
it... but when I got home all mine went nuts.

pat

Dennis Carr
December 24th 04, 07:24 AM
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:32:33 -0800, ken wrote:

> How long do most of you get out of the LR44 batteries on the laser
> toys?
>
> Mine are givng out after only 10 days.
>
> Are there other laser pointer toys that use cheaper AA or AAA
> batteries?

Look for a pointer that uses AAAA (yes, quadruple A) batteries. The
batteries can be found at Radio Shack and Best Buy, per my visual
observation - and probably other places as well.

--
Dennis Carr - KE6ISF | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

December 24th 04, 09:11 AM
In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes rpl > wrote:

> It was at Radio Shack; they had a couple different models; the one I
> purchased was designed more for use as a laser pointer rather then a
> cat-toy or keychain fob; it set me back $60 (I think) at the time, but
> that was a few years ago
> http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?find=laser+pointer

> lots cheaper than they used to be.

Thanks.

Even so, "lots cheaper" than $60 is going to be too expensive for me
at the moment. I wouldn't spend more than $5.

Aren't there cheap plastic laser pointer toys that are $5 and under
and use regular batteries?

Joyce

Angela St.Aubin
December 24th 04, 01:36 PM
"TCS" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:57:55 GMT,
> wrote:

> > > Now that is smart!
>
> >It's money-smart, but kind of wasteful. Not that I blame the OP - what
> >is she supposed to do, throw away money? I just wish it didn't cost more
> >to repair (or maintain in any way, including replacing the batteries)
> >electronic and other gadgets, than it does to buy a whole new one. Just
> >more junk for the landfills.
>
> Better yet, try to garner 4 braincells (ask your friends if necessary) and
> get a laser pointer that uses cheap batteries. Ones that use AAA or AA
> batteries are very common.

I rarely reply to people who are just being rude/trying to incite anger, but
perhaps you should realize that just because there are options where you
live doesn't mean there are everywhere, so drop the attitude.

Phil P.
December 25th 04, 08:45 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Thu 23 Dec 2004 11:50:04p, rpl wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
> ):
>
> > http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?find=laser+pointer
>
> Whoa, I want the 200 yard range one! Thanks for the link. We need a
> better one, too. I go through one cheapo from Petco every couple of
> months.

Go to Staples and check out the "Apollo". Its pen-shaped, green & black and
takes 2 AA. Has about 1,000 ft range and costs about $25. The batteries
last at least a month for me -- but I use it every day for least 30 mins -
probably longer throughout the day.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.maxshouse.com/misc/Pen_Laser.jpg

Phil

Mike Z. Helm
January 1st 05, 01:59 AM
On 23 Dec 2004 07:14:24 -0800, "ken" >

>yes the cats enjoy it very much - every evening just before I go to
>bed, they sit under the place where i keep the pointer & wait for abut
>5-10 minutes of wild chasing the red dot - up the stairs, around the
>house and even up the doors and walls.

I was wondering how often and how long you used them, but that's about
as much time as I spend and mine have lasted much longer.

It's an el-cheapo laser pointer I got for about $5 - same batteries that
came with it - all 5 of them.

Might it be cheaper to buy a new pointer?