PDA

View Full Version : RagaMuffin?

Gail Futoran
December 23rd 04, 04:42 PM
About four years ago a neighbor brought me a little
calico stray she found in her yard. The kitten was
clean and friendly and appeared healthy. I was reluctant
to take her to the pound so I set up quarters for her
in the shed. I put up signs but with no result, and after
a vet checkup, including vaccinations, brought her inside
the house to join the rest of the tribe (2 Tonkinese kittens
and 1 elderly Burmese). The vet guessed she was a year
old based on her teeth. I looked at her paws (huge...)
and wondered. :)

6 months later she was twice as large as when I
adopted her, muscular but not fat, a lap cat who loves
to be in whatever room I'm in. I always assumed she
was a mixed breed but then bought a recent issue of
Cat Fancy Magazine featuring RagaMuffins.

THAT'S MY MINYA! I screamed, frightening all
the cats, including the former "stray". Everything fits:
the slow growth to maturity, the physical
characteristics, the behavioral characteristics.
(Except she doesn't get along all that well with the
other cats. LOL)

If anyone has the issue, check out the centerfold
photo with the yellow background - that could be
a photo of my cat, exactly the same coloring and
form.

So what are the chances I have a purebred
RagaMuffin that was wandering around loose in
a rural area in Southcentral Texas? :)

Gail

Holly via CatKB.com
December 23rd 04, 05:39 PM
Hi Gail, It is possible. I know of a fellow who found a litter of Himilayans at the dumpster.

mlbriggs
December 23rd 04, 07:37 PM
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:42:37 +0000, Gail Futoran wrote:

> About four years ago a neighbor brought me a little
> calico stray she found in her yard. The kitten was
> clean and friendly and appeared healthy. I was reluctant
> to take her to the pound so I set up quarters for her
> in the shed. I put up signs but with no result, and after
> a vet checkup, including vaccinations, brought her inside
> the house to join the rest of the tribe (2 Tonkinese kittens
> and 1 elderly Burmese). The vet guessed she was a year
> old based on her teeth. I looked at her paws (huge...)
> and wondered. :)
>
> 6 months later she was twice as large as when I
> adopted her, muscular but not fat, a lap cat who loves
> to be in whatever room I'm in. I always assumed she
> was a mixed breed but then bought a recent issue of
> Cat Fancy Magazine featuring RagaMuffins.
>
> THAT'S MY MINYA! I screamed, frightening all
> the cats, including the former "stray". Everything fits:
> the slow growth to maturity, the physical
> characteristics, the behavioral characteristics.
> (Except she doesn't get along all that well with the
> other cats. LOL)
>
> If anyone has the issue, check out the centerfold
> photo with the yellow background - that could be
> a photo of my cat, exactly the same coloring and
> form.
>
> So what are the chances I have a purebred
> RagaMuffin that was wandering around loose in
> a rural area in Southcentral Texas? :)
>
> Gail

Did the article mention the genetics of that breed? It probably was a
cross too.

Gail Futoran
December 23rd 04, 09:12 PM
"Holly via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Hi Gail, It is possible. I know of a fellow who found a litter of
> Himilayans at the dumpster.

I had a friend who adopted an abandoned Burmese.
Some women had bought the cat, found something
about it she didn't like, and just tossed it outside.
Fortunately a neighbor starting taking care of it, and
when he had to move out of country, passed the
word around until a rescuer (my friend) was found.

Some people should not be allowed to have pets
(or children, probably). :)

Gail

Gail Futoran
December 23rd 04, 09:12 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote

> Did the article mention the genetics of that breed? It probably was a
> cross too.

Yep, it's part Ragdoll, but apparently been around as
a separate breed for about 10 years. My Burmese and
Tonkinese are also "crosses", but I wouldn't consider
them "mixed breeds." :) I think of that phrase as
applying to two neighborhood kitties who kind of
got together on their own. (BTW I spay/neuter all
my cats.)

Gail

mlbriggs
December 24th 04, 01:48 AM
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:12:41 +0000, Gail Futoran wrote:

> "mlbriggs" > wrote
>
>> Did the article mention the genetics of that breed? It probably was a
>> cross too.
>
> Yep, it's part Ragdoll, but apparently been around as
> a separate breed for about 10 years. My Burmese and
> Tonkinese are also "crosses", but I wouldn't consider
> them "mixed breeds." :) I think of that phrase as
> applying to two neighborhood kitties who kind of
> got together on their own. (BTW I spay/neuter all
> my cats.)
>
> Gail

semantics -- it all ends up the same. MLB

Gail Futoran
December 27th 04, 06:20 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:12:41 +0000, Gail Futoran wrote:
>
>> "mlbriggs" > wrote
>>
>>> Did the article mention the genetics of that breed? It probably was a
>>> cross too.
>>
>> Yep, it's part Ragdoll, but apparently been around as
>> a separate breed for about 10 years. My Burmese and
>> Tonkinese are also "crosses", but I wouldn't consider
>> them "mixed breeds." :) I think of that phrase as
>> applying to two neighborhood kitties who kind of
>> got together on their own. (BTW I spay/neuter all
>> my cats.)
>>
>> Gail
>

> semantics -- it all ends up the same. MLB

Say what?