PDA

View Full Version : It's on-topic because of #3

Duke of Url
December 28th 04, 04:36 AM
Kittens, Diamonds and Prosthetic Eyes, Oh My!
CINCINNATI, Dec. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- If plumbers rewrote the song, "The 12
Days of Christmas," it might go something like this ... 4 baby kittens, 3
tree roots, 2 diamond rings and one prosthetic eyeball.
In fact, each year Roto-Rooter technicians retrieve, and rescue, some of the
strangest items ever recovered from modern day plumbing. Over time, these
stories have become company urban legends of sorts, with the sizes and
quantities of these items growing with age.
To set the record straight, America's Neighborhood Plumber(R), took to the
phones collecting stories from across the country from plumbers in the
field. With the help of modern-day technology, Roto-Rooter plumbers were
able to capture some of these rescues via fiber optic camera, which can
snake into tight areas to record these abnormal assignments.
The result was a laundry list of items ranging from animals to precious
valuables. Of those items listed, five stories in particular gained
popularity in their respective communities.
***
The Roto-Rooter Rescue Round up 1. A Slippery Situation
***
Grass Valley, Calif. -- A four-foot python, a new family pet, slithered into
the bathroom and seemingly disappeared. The family called pest control
people, the fire department and others, but couldn't get anyone to help.
Finally, they called Roto-Rooter after they learned how they use fiber optic
cable cameras to inspect pipes from the inside. Chris Navo of Roto-Rooter
went to the home and inspected the pipes with the camera, but couldn't find
the snake. Finally, he noticed an access hole beneath the sink vanity, so he
fed the fiber optic camera into the access hole. He quickly located the
snake beneath the floor of the vanity. It was clearly visible on the video
monitor. The owners used a mouse to lure the snake out of its hiding place.
***
2. Keep Your Eye on the Prize
***
Chicago, Ill. -- Roto-Rooter technician Lev Yampolskiy was dispatched to a
residence in Glenview on Wednesday afternoon. The customer reported that her
husband lost his prosthetic eye, valued at nearly $5,000, down his bathroom
sink drain. Water pressure had pushed the eye past the safety trap and deep
into the home's plumbing system and perilously close to the end of the
line -- the city sewer junction. Roto-Rooter arrived and inserted a special
miniature camera down the pipe and eventually located the eyeball. The
technician had to find a way to recover the eye without causing damage to
it. He finally found a creative solution and used the robotic camera and
slow running water to inch the eyeball toward an access valve where it was
finally pulled free. The recovery process took more than two hours, but now
the eyeball is clean and back in its socket.
***
3. Pipe Dreams
***
Jacksonville, Fla. -- A stray kitten was seen playing around some electrical
boxes behind a Jacksonville strip mall. Women who work in a nearby beauty
shop saw the kitten fall into an electrical conduit pipe, slipping several
feet below ground. The women could hear his cries but they were unable to
see him or reach him. They tried fashioning a ladder out of towels in hopes
that the kitten could claw his way back to the surface. It didn't work.
Fortunately, the wife of a Roto-Rooter manager visited the beauty shop that
day and overheard the women talking about the kitten's plight. Tonya Mathis
phoned her husband Bart at Roto-Rooter. Bart and a crew of technicians
responded and fed a lighted camera scope into the pipe and quickly located
the kitten deep inside the conduit network. Using the cable camera, Bart was
able to coax the kitten into following the camera's light to a tap line that
reached the surface. The Roto-Rooter team then used a saw to cut the plastic
pipe open and free the kitten. The kitten had been stuck in the pipe for
four days!
***
4. Diamonds ARE Forever
***
Dayton, Ohio -- Geraldine Offill was in the bathroom, when her precious
diamond slipped off her finger and into the toilet bowl. Despite her
husband's belief that the ring was lost and not knowing what to do she
called in the experts. The voice on the other end of the phone ensured that
there would be two technicians on the way. Not even thinking of her grandson
Travis and how he had just started his new job as a Roto-Rooter technician,
she was surprised to greet him at the door. Travis King, the Offills'
grandson and service technician Aaron Paul searched the not-so-pleasant
insides of the bowl without success. However after taking the toilet apart,
he found Offill's prized possession lying in a bundled heap of good fortune.
While the story of the missing diamond isn't one that Offill and her husband
want to remember fondly, she is delighted the diamond is right back where it
should be -- adorning this overjoyed grandmother's finger.
***
5. A different kind of root
***
Boston, Mass. -- Deep in the dark depths of a Boston Church, Roto-Rooter
technicians were called to remove what was believed to be a large black
root. However, upon further inspection they revealed that it wasn't a root
at all...it was an actual clump of human hair, more than eight feet long!
The collection had accumulated over several years and took the technicians
more than an hour to remove. Nobody in Boston remembers seeing such a large
mass of human hair in any pipe!
***
Other stories like this can be found on www.rotorooter.com

Yoj