PDA

View Full Version : The trouble with animals

Christina Websell
December 28th 04, 07:57 PM
The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do. We get
them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we live, we
want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the pain of
losing them.
There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving owners.
I have quite a few dogs in my life, and loved them all, but two were very
special and when they went to RB I was almost unconsolable for weeks, even
months, but when I was finally able to think about it logically I thought
how awful it would be if I had outlived them and they were rehomed to
somewhere not very nice and they were not loved and cared for properly.

I realised then how glad I was to know the end of them even though I didn't
want to let them go. Maybe for my own selfish reasons, I wanted to keep
them always.
I know where all my dogs are buried and I'm glad they never had to have a
bad moment in their lives.
My two cats have already had bad times in their lives before they came here,
and, God willing, I shall outlive them both, and they will have their
resting place under a tree here.

It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really is. I
would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be 70. Now that
one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have to leave your parrot
to someone in your will.

Just something to think about..

Your pain versus theirs.

Tweed

CatNipped
December 28th 04, 08:28 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do. We
get
> them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we live,
we
> want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the pain
of
> losing them.
> There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving
owners.
> I have quite a few dogs in my life, and loved them all, but two were very
> special and when they went to RB I was almost unconsolable for weeks, even
> months, but when I was finally able to think about it logically I thought
> how awful it would be if I had outlived them and they were rehomed to
> somewhere not very nice and they were not loved and cared for properly.
>
> I realised then how glad I was to know the end of them even though I
didn't
> want to let them go. Maybe for my own selfish reasons, I wanted to keep
> them always.
> I know where all my dogs are buried and I'm glad they never had to have a
> bad moment in their lives.
> My two cats have already had bad times in their lives before they came
here,
> and, God willing, I shall outlive them both, and they will have their
> resting place under a tree here.
>
> It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really is.
> would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be 70. Now
that
> one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have to leave your
parrot
> to someone in your will.
>
> Just something to think about..
>
> Your pain versus theirs.
>
> Tweed

Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear warning*,
this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful praise of those who
love pets.

http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm

Hugs,

CatNipped

mlbriggs
December 28th 04, 08:36 PM
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:57:42 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do. We get
> them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we live, we
> want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the pain of
> losing them.
> There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving owners.
> I have quite a few dogs in my life, and loved them all, but two were very
> special and when they went to RB I was almost unconsolable for weeks, even
> months, but when I was finally able to think about it logically I thought
> how awful it would be if I had outlived them and they were rehomed to
> somewhere not very nice and they were not loved and cared for properly.
>
> I realised then how glad I was to know the end of them even though I didn't
> want to let them go. Maybe for my own selfish reasons, I wanted to keep
> them always.
> I know where all my dogs are buried and I'm glad they never had to have a
> bad moment in their lives.
> My two cats have already had bad times in their lives before they came here,
> and, God willing, I shall outlive them both, and they will have their
> resting place under a tree here.
>
> It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really is. I
> would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be 70. Now that
> one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have to leave your parrot
> to someone in your will.
>
> Just something to think about..
>
> Your pain versus theirs.
>
> Tweed

Believe me, at my age, I have already thought about it. MLB

Sheenah
December 28th 04, 08:39 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in
message ...

> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do.
We get
> them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we
live, we
> want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the
pain of
> losing them.
> There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving
owners.

> Tweed

Hi Tweed

Two days before Christmas, I called in at my vets to pick up some meds
for my old girl Thalia. While waiting in the reception area, an
elderly lady and, I assume, her daughter, came out of his consulting
room. Both were weeping. They had just had to have their cat put to
sleep :^(

After they'd moved out of earshot, a middle-aged lady who was waiting
with a cat whom she had brought up to see the vet, turned to me and
said "Why do we do it ?". For me, the answer is "Because we can give
them a wonderful life". It is for that and others reasons that this
cat slave hopes that not one of her feline masters and mistresses
deaths, would ever be cause for her to want to no longer remain in the
service of cats.

Best regards

Sheenah

Monique Y. Mudama
December 28th 04, 08:57 PM
On 2004-12-28, CatNipped penned:

> Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear warning*,
> this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful praise of those who
> love pets.
>
> http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm

Arrrgh.

Uber tear warning.

I'm sitting here at work with tears rolling down my face!

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Helen Miles
December 29th 04, 12:21 AM
"Sheenah" > wrote in message

>It is for that and others reasons that this
> cat slave hopes that not one of her feline masters and mistresses
> deaths, would ever be cause for her to want to no longer remain in the
> service of cats.///

It has always been my finding that the one who goes to Rainbow Bridge
sends another to take his or her place if it is needed. When I lost Sir
William, 4 days later Pandora arrived. She needed Tiger desperately, and
still does.

Had William not have gone to rainbow bridge, I wouldn't have been able
to keep her because my family was "full".

Just my $0.02

Helen M

Nina K Pettis
December 29th 04, 12:26 AM
Christina Websell wrote:

> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do. We get
> them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we live, we
> want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the pain of
> losing them.
> There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving owners.
> I have quite a few dogs in my life, and loved them all, but two were very
> special and when they went to RB I was almost unconsolable for weeks, even
> months, but when I was finally able to think about it logically I thought
> how awful it would be if I had outlived them and they were rehomed to
> somewhere not very nice and they were not loved and cared for properly.
>
> I realised then how glad I was to know the end of them even though I didn't
> want to let them go. Maybe for my own selfish reasons, I wanted to keep
> them always.
> I know where all my dogs are buried and I'm glad they never had to have a
> bad moment in their lives.
> My two cats have already had bad times in their lives before they came here,
> and, God willing, I shall outlive them both, and they will have their
> resting place under a tree here.
>
> It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really is. I
> would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be 70. Now that
> one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have to leave your parrot
> to someone in your will.
>
> Just something to think about..
>
> Your pain versus theirs.

I have to agree with you, Tweed! My roommate tried to apologize for
bringing Seth home (not that she had a choice, since he called her to
come get him!), but I told her he needed us, and I wouldn't trade the
seven weeks of joy we had with him for anything, even though the pain is
immense at the moment.

We loved him, spoiled him rotten, enjoyed every minute of him, and took
him to the best vet available when he became ill. He knew he was adored
and special and the best baby kitten ever, and he repaid all that with
boundless affection and hours of very loud purring.

Nina in Texas, in service to: Snickelfritz (RB), Pixel (RB 12/03), Rusty
(RB 9/9/04), Seth (RB 12/27/04), Skeeter, Kyle, and Jake -- and Lucas
--
Professional proofreading doesn’t cost – it pays!
www.ninaproofs.com

Yoj
December 29th 04, 12:50 AM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do. We
get
> them, grow to love them and never want to part with them. While we live,
we
> want *them* to as well, so we can always have them and not face the pain
of
> losing them.
> There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving
owners.
> I have quite a few dogs in my life, and loved them all, but two were very
> special and when they went to RB I was almost unconsolable for weeks, even
> months, but when I was finally able to think about it logically I thought
> how awful it would be if I had outlived them and they were rehomed to
> somewhere not very nice and they were not loved and cared for properly.
>
> I realised then how glad I was to know the end of them even though I
didn't
> want to let them go. Maybe for my own selfish reasons, I wanted to keep
> them always.
> I know where all my dogs are buried and I'm glad they never had to have a
> bad moment in their lives.
> My two cats have already had bad times in their lives before they came
here,
> and, God willing, I shall outlive them both, and they will have their
> resting place under a tree here.
>
> It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really is.
> would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be 70. Now
that
> one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have to leave your
parrot
> to someone in your will.
>
> Just something to think about..
>
> Your pain versus theirs.
>
> Tweed

You make a very good point here. I hope I can always be that unselfish.

Joy

Howard Berkowitz
December 29th 04, 01:10 AM
In article
gate.org>, "Helen
Miles" > wrote:

> "Sheenah" > wrote in message
>

> >It is for that and others reasons that this
> > cat slave hopes that not one of her feline masters and mistresses
> > deaths, would ever be cause for her to want to no longer remain in the
> > service of cats.///
>
> It has always been my finding that the one who goes to Rainbow Bridge
> sends another to take his or her place if it is needed. When I lost Sir
> William, 4 days later Pandora arrived. She needed Tiger desperately, and
> still does.
>
> Had William not have gone to rainbow bridge, I wouldn't have been able
> to keep her because my family was "full".

It was something like that with Clifford, although I was happy to have
him as only cat after Chatterley died. A few weeks after he died, I went
to an adoption center just to see if I could look at cats. Somehow, I
felt a strong sense of his approval.

Much to my surprise, I came home with an adult (Mr. Clark) and two
unrelated kittens (Ding and Rhonda). As opposed to Clifford and
Chatterley (admittedly Chatterley had been the only cat for some
months), they immediately bonded and have always been extremely
affectionate to one another.

It may make sense -- Clifford had such personality that one cat just
might not have been enough to replace his impact.

Katz
December 29th 04, 02:55 PM
Nina K Pettis wrote:

> Professional proofreading doesn't cost - it pays!
> www.ninaproofs.com

Just had to say "Hi," Nina. I'm a proofreader, too. I've never
freelanced for a living, only at the request of a company client that
I've gotten to know. I currently work at a company that is 2 companies
in one. Continental Press is a publisher of supplemental textbooks.
www.continentalpress.com ITP is a commercial printer. itpofusa.com I
proofread the textbooks and just QC the commercial jobs for "look," as
well as proofreading all changes to our 3 web sites. I came from a
prepress background, with traditional proofreading before that, "back
in the day."

I looked at your site. Very nice. How do you like freelancing? I always
figured that I would starve to death if I tried to freelance; I'd never
get out of my PJs. LOL. And w/2 demanding furkids to support, I can't
risk it. I'm pleased to hear that there is enough work out there for
you to support yourself.

Katz, Daisy, & Miss Moxie

jmcquown
December 29th 04, 03:41 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> "Christina Websell" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do.
(snippage)
>> Your pain versus theirs.
>>
>> Tweed
>
> Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear
> warning*, this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful praise
> of those who love pets.
>
> http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Talk about ear worms! The music on that site was composed by James Horner
(from the film 'Braveheart') and now I can't get it out of my head. Gee,
thanks a lot!

Jill

CatNipped
December 29th 04, 03:55 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> CatNipped wrote:
>> "Christina Websell" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>>
>>> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do.
> (snippage)
>>> Your pain versus theirs.
>>>
>>> Tweed
>>
>> Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear
>> warning*, this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful praise
>> of those who love pets.
>>
>> http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> Talk about ear worms! The music on that site was composed by James Horner
> (from the film 'Braveheart') and now I can't get it out of my head. Gee,
> thanks a lot!
>
> Jill

Yep! But doesn't the music just absolute enhance the story! Beautiful,
beautiful site!

Hugs,

CatNipped

jmcquown
December 29th 04, 05:15 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> CatNipped wrote:
>>> "Christina Websell" > wrote in
>>> message ...

>>> Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear
>>> warning*, this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful
>>> praise
>>> of those who love pets.
>>>
>>> http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm
>>>
>>> Hugs,
>>>
>>> CatNipped
>>
>> Talk about ear worms! The music on that site was composed by James
>> Horner (from the film 'Braveheart') and now I can't get it out of my
>> head. Gee, thanks a lot!
>>
>> Jill
>
> Yep! But doesn't the music just absolute enhance the story!
> Beautiful, beautiful site!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I agree, beautiful and tear-inducing. Now I'm listening to the film
soundtrack to get the song out of my head.

Jill

jmcquown
December 29th 04, 05:20 PM
Christina Websell wrote:
> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do.
> We get them, grow to love them and never want to part with them.
(snippage)
> It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really
> is. I would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be
> 70. Now that one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have
> to leave your parrot to someone in your will.
>
> Just something to think about..
>
> Your pain versus theirs.
>
> Tweed

When I bought my lovebird (which *is* a parrot, the smallest of the true
African parrots), I did my research. Peaches is just over a year old now.
She will live 15-20 years if she remains in good health and hopefully I will
outlive her.

Persia is approximately 6. Aside from her bladder surgery last spring she's
in good health; a slightly fat but active and happy cat (she woke me up
killing a paper bag this morning). I'm pretty sure I'll see her go to The
Bridge and yes, I will be devastated but all the more enriched for having
her in my life.

Thank you for an insightful post.

Jill

Seanette Blaylock
December 30th 04, 02:17 AM
"Monique Y. Mudama" > had some very interesting
things to say about Re: The trouble with animals:

>> Your post reminded me of a link I ran across some time ago. *Tear warning*,
>> this is not about abuse, but it is sad and beautiful praise of those who
>> love pets.
>> http://www.bonfires.de/TheLovingOnes.htm
>Arrrgh.
>Uber tear warning.
>I'm sitting here at work with tears rolling down my face!

I saved that one when it was posted here previously, and it always
chokes me up.

Adrian
December 30th 04, 03:08 PM
Christina Websell wrote:
> The trouble with our pets is that they don't live as long as we do.
> We get them, grow to love them and never want to part with them.
> While we live, we want *them* to as well, so we can always have them
> and not face the pain of losing them.
> There have been so many going to RB just lately and so many grieving
> owners. I have quite a few dogs in my life, and loved them all, but
> two were very special and when they went to RB I was almost
> unconsolable for weeks, even months, but when I was finally able to
> think about it logically I thought how awful it would be if I had
> outlived them and they were rehomed to somewhere not very nice and
> they were not loved and cared for properly.
>
> I realised then how glad I was to know the end of them even though I
> didn't want to let them go. Maybe for my own selfish reasons, I
> wanted to keep them always.
> I know where all my dogs are buried and I'm glad they never had to
> have a bad moment in their lives.
> My two cats have already had bad times in their lives before they
> came here, and, God willing, I shall outlive them both, and they will
> have their resting place under a tree here.
>
> It's a good thing that our cats and dogs die before we do. It really
> is. I would hesitate to get a young parrot now who might live to be
> 70. Now that one would definitely outlive me. Which means you have
> to leave your parrot to someone in your will.
>
> Just something to think about..
>
> Your pain versus theirs.
>
> Tweed

I used to deliver electrical appliences. I remember one occasion I met a
very elderly cat, her owner was a distict nurse who had taken the cat,
when her previous slave had died. The family had said nobody wanted the
cat as, at 15, it was too old. The nurse had had the cat 10 years by the
time I met her.

That was one of the best parts of the job, meeting lots of different
animals and their slaves.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.