PDA

View Full Version : Update on Rusty

W. Leong
December 30th 04, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the purrs for Rusty.

The new vet thinks Rusty's problem is behavioural. He said
there is a lot of stress this time of the year with the cold weather. It was
down to -30C last week. Rusty never goes outside except to the vet clinic as
I live in a high-rise. He may also be feeling my badmood.
I asked the 'old' clinic to fax Rusty's file over. The vet said last month's
bladder
infection could very well be just blood from using a catheter to collect
the urine sample.
So he prescribed a pill called Clomicalm to calm him down. Anyone has any
experience with this drug?
Rusty has always been a nervous cat. I lost track on the times he pee in his
carrier on the way to the vet clinic. He probably wondered why a
different guy prodding him. He didn't get 'tortured this time as the
vet had the blood and urine test results from last month. He didn't order
any more tests or procedures. So it didn't cost me a fortune.
Thanks for the offer of help.

Both vets said Rusty needs to put on some weight. He is down to 7.5 lb now.
So I have to feed him more. Rusty has a history of urinary blockage and has
been on various prescription cat food since he was 2. He is really a high
maintenance cat.

I haven't decided whether to switch over to this vet. He is an older vet and
probably more experienced. His fees is a bit higher than Rusty's regular vet
who has been taken care of him for the past 9 years. The old vet clinic is
much closer to home so it is easier for me as I don't have a car. It is also
not as nice and bright and big as the new vet clinic. Unlike the old
clinic, the new clinic has several vet on staff.

Anyway I will wait and see if the pills help with Rusty's problems. Rusty's
regular vet will get a report from the new vet.

Again thanks for all the purrs.

Winnie
W. Leong" > wrote in message
. ..
> Something is wrong with my 10 year old orange tabby Rusty. He pee and poop
> outside of his litter box. His regular TED is on vacation till after the
> new year.
> I called another vet in town and got an appt. for tomorrow.
> Rusty did something similar last month and was put on antibiotics for a
> week for
> bladder infection. His blood work was fine with normal kidney and liver
> functions. His thyroid is also fine.
>
> I am getting quite worried as this seems to be a recurring problem.
> I am currently unemployed and have already spent hundreds of $ on TED
> bills
> already.
>
> Winnie

Christine Burel
January 1st 05, 06:47 AM
I'm interested to hear how Rusty responds to the Clomicalm; I heard about
this medicine, too, and am wondering if it might help one of my kitties.
Please keep us posted on Rusty's progress.
regards and purrs,
Christine