PDA

View Full Version : "stay away"

ken
January 3rd 05, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
blast of air?
Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?

Thanks

Ken

Doug Kanter
January 3rd 05, 05:42 PM
I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol

Cats will understand.

"ken" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
> cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
> blast of air?
> Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

Karen
January 3rd 05, 07:58 PM
Actually, this is pretty funny.

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
> around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol

> Cats will understand.
>
> "ken" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
> > cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
> > blast of air?
> > Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ken

Doug Kanter
January 3rd 05, 08:13 PM
You're my kind of woman! :-) It's amazing how many people have absolutely NO
sense of humor.

"Karen" > wrote in message
> Actually, this is pretty funny.
>
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
>> around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
>>
> http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol
>>
>> Cats will understand.
>>
>> "ken" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
>> > cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
>> > blast of air?
>> > Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Ken

Tanada
January 3rd 05, 08:39 PM
Doug Kanter wrote:

> I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
> around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
> http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol
>
> Cats will understand.

Isn't this <gulps> a little extreme? Even for you, Doug? I'm afraid
Pine Cone would take it away and use it on me.

Pam S. gulping again

Doug Kanter
January 3rd 05, 09:08 PM
"Tanada" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
>> around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
>> http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol
>>
>> Cats will understand.
>>

> Isn't this <gulps> a little extreme? Even for you, Doug? I'm afraid Pine
> Cone would take it away and use it on me.
>
> Pam S. gulping again

Oh Pam....that's why you don't chamber a round until you're ready to use it.
You need thumbs to pull the slide back, silly! :-) If you're convinced Pine
Cone might use it, I think he/she should take a basic handgun safety course
first. That's just common sense. Your veterinarian probably has info on
these things.

<chuckle>

Mary
January 3rd 05, 09:15 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> Actually, this is pretty funny.

Picturing it, I would have to agree.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
January 3rd 05, 10:51 PM
Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Tanada" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>Doug Kanter wrote:
>>

>>>I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
>>>around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
>>>http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol
>>>
>>>Cats will understand.
>>>

>>Isn't this <gulps> a little extreme? Even for you, Doug? I'm afraid Pine
>>Cone would take it away and use it on me.
>>
>>Pam S. gulping again
>>

> Oh Pam....that's why you don't chamber a round until you're ready to use it.
> You need thumbs to pull the slide back, silly! :-) If you're convinced Pine
> Cone might use it, I think he/she should take a basic handgun safety course
> first. That's just common sense. Your veterinarian probably has info on
> these things.
>
> <chuckle>

You remind me of a picture that was making the rounds, a few
months ago of a kitten "aiming" a pistol out the window at a
dog! I no longer have the URL, but it's hysterical!

Jo Firey
January 3rd 05, 11:47 PM
We just leave a fly swatter out where they can see it. Also works to keep
the dogs from barking. (No you don't hit them. You hit near them to get
their attention)

Jo

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
>around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
> http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol
>
> Cats will understand.
>
> "ken" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
>> cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
>> blast of air?
>> Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ken

Barb
January 3rd 05, 11:55 PM
I don't know if it's the same as what I just ordered, 'pet trainer". It
will sound an alarm whenever my kitten gets up on the glass table. That's
the one place I don't want the cats and the rest of them know that. I'm
keeping my fingers crossed!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Jean Hobbs
January 3rd 05, 11:57 PM
Do you have to shout "FREEZE" AS WELL. Jean.P.
Jo Firey > wrote in message
> We just leave a fly swatter out where they can see it. Also works to keep
> the dogs from barking. (No you don't hit them. You hit near them to get
> their attention)
>
> Jo
>

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> >I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
> >around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=P
istol

> > Cats will understand.
> >
> > "ken" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
> >> cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
> >> blast of air?
> >> Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Ken

Tanada
January 4th 05, 01:17 AM
Doug Kanter wrote:

> Oh Pam....that's why you don't chamber a round until you're ready to use it.
> You need thumbs to pull the slide back, silly! :-) If you're convinced Pine
> Cone might use it, I think he/she should take a basic handgun safety course
> first. That's just common sense. Your veterinarian probably has info on
> these things.
>
> <chuckle>

I'll call him first thing tomorrow. Knowing PC, I wouldn't put anything
past the little stinker.

Pam S. wondering how much feline pistol safety classes are going to cost

Gary Stone
January 4th 05, 01:58 AM
I'd just like to know how to avoid a paw in my eye socket every morning.
Uhmmm! maybe train her to use a spray bottle instead. Then I could wake up
showered and refreshed.

Stone

Stone
"Barb" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
>I don't know if it's the same as what I just ordered, 'pet trainer". It
> will sound an alarm whenever my kitten gets up on the glass table. That's
> the one place I don't want the cats and the rest of them know that. I'm
> keeping my fingers crossed!
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Doug Kanter
January 4th 05, 02:09 AM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> "Tanada" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...

>>>Isn't this <gulps> a little extreme? Even for you, Doug? I'm afraid
>>>Pine Cone would take it away and use it on me.
>>>
>>>Pam S. gulping again
>>>

>> Oh Pam....that's why you don't chamber a round until you're ready to use
>> it. You need thumbs to pull the slide back, silly! :-) If you're
>> convinced Pine Cone might use it, I think he/she should take a basic
>> handgun safety course first. That's just common sense. Your veterinarian
>> probably has info on these things.
>>
>> <chuckle>
>
> You remind me of a picture that was making the rounds, a few months ago of
> a kitten "aiming" a pistol out the window at a dog! I no longer have the
> URL, but it's hysterical!

Did you ever see the Far Side version of that? A dark sedan is filled with
cats in Prohibition-era gangster hats, with machine guns sticking out the
window. The car's speeding away from the scene: A dog house riddled with
bullet holes. Priceless! :-)

Doug Kanter
January 4th 05, 02:11 AM
We used to use an empty soda can with a few coins in it. Toss it onto the
counter at the appropriate times. After a few go-arounds, all we had to do
was shake the can.

"Jo Firey" > wrote in message
> We just leave a fly swatter out where they can see it. Also works to keep
> the dogs from barking. (No you don't hit them. You hit near them to get
> their attention)
>
> Jo
>

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
>>around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
>> http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=Pistol
>>
>> Cats will understand.
>>
>> "ken" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
>>> cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
>>> blast of air?
>>> Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ken

Doug Kanter
January 4th 05, 02:11 AM
Paws behind your head NOW!!!

"Jean Hobbs" > wrote in message
> Do you have to shout "FREEZE" AS WELL. Jean.P.
> Jo Firey > wrote in message
>> We just leave a fly swatter out where they can see it. Also works to
>> keep
>> the dogs from barking. (No you don't hit them. You hit near them to get
>> their attention)
>>
>> Jo
>>

>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> >I love cats, but on the counter is a Really Bad Thing. Just waving this
>> >around should do the trick, without ever having to use it:
>> >
> http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=P
> istol
>> >
>> > Cats will understand.
>> >
>> > "ken" > wrote in message
>> > ups.com...

Jean Hobbs
January 4th 05, 10:43 AM
that's like someone I knew who used to keep a slipper handy when the kids
played up she never used it but said it served very well asa deterent,
Jean.P.
Doug Kanter > wrote in message
> Paws behind your head NOW!!!
>
> "Jean Hobbs" > wrote in message
> > Do you have to shout "FREEZE" AS WELL. Jean.P.
> > Jo Firey > wrote in message
> >> We just leave a fly swatter out where they can see it. Also works to
> >> keep
> >> the dogs from barking. (No you don't hit them. You hit near them to
get
> >> their attention)
> >>
> >> Jo

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=P
> > istol

If

Jean Hobbs
January 4th 05, 10:45 AM
Paws behind your head ? only when sleeping lol Jean.P.
Doug Kanter > wrote in message
> Paws behind your head NOW!!!
>
> "Jean Hobbs" > wrote in message
> > Do you have to shout "FREEZE" AS WELL. Jean.P.
> > Jo Firey > wrote in message
> >> We just leave a fly swatter out where they can see it. Also works to
> >> keep
> >> the dogs from barking. (No you don't hit them. You hit near them to
get
> >> their attention)
> >>
> >> Jo

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=101SS&category=P
> > istol

If

Tanada
January 5th 05, 08:07 PM
Doug Kanter wrote:

> The NFRA (National Feline Rifle Association) usually charges nothing for
> youth classes. How old is PC? Even the adult courses are cheap.

PC is 4 1/2 years old. I suspect that he'd really enjoy using a pistol,
so I'd better get in contact with them right away before he takes
matters into his own paws.

Pam S.

Doug Kanter
January 5th 05, 09:19 PM
"Tanada" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>

>> The NFRA (National Feline Rifle Association) usually charges nothing for
>> youth classes. How old is PC? Even the adult courses are cheap.
>
> PC is 4 1/2 years old. I suspect that he'd really enjoy using a pistol,
> so I'd better get in contact with them right away before he takes matters
> into his own paws.
>
> Pam S.

If he promises to assassinate a dog whenever possible, I'll chip in for a
case of ammunition.

Tanada
January 5th 05, 09:32 PM
Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Tanada" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>
>>Doug Kanter wrote:
>>

>>>The NFRA (National Feline Rifle Association) usually charges nothing for
>>>youth classes. How old is PC? Even the adult courses are cheap.
>>
>>PC is 4 1/2 years old. I suspect that he'd really enjoy using a pistol,
>>so I'd better get in contact with them right away before he takes matters
>>into his own paws.
>>
>>Pam S.
>>

> If he promises to assassinate a dog whenever possible, I'll chip in for a
> case of ammunition.

He already has a candidate in my daughter's d-thing, Speedy. Speedy
likes to sneak up behind PC and either woof, or touch him with his cold
husky/shephard nose. PC is not amused.

Pam S. hoping PC doesn't take up target shooting

Doug Kanter
January 6th 05, 03:31 AM
"Tanada" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> "Tanada" > wrote in message
>> nk.net...

>>>PC is 4 1/2 years old. I suspect that he'd really enjoy using a pistol,
>>>so I'd better get in contact with them right away before he takes matters
>>>into his own paws.
>>>
>>>Pam S.
>>>

>> If he promises to assassinate a dog whenever possible, I'll chip in for a
>> case of ammunition.
>
> He already has a candidate in my daughter's d-thing, Speedy. Speedy likes
> to sneak up behind PC and either woof, or touch him with his cold
> husky/shephard nose. PC is not amused.
>
> Pam S. hoping PC doesn't take up target shooting

Dogs *ARE* targets, with fur. There's this category of animals which were
created for us to vent our aggressions against. It includes mosquitoes,
rats, cockroaches and dogs. :-)

Tanada
January 6th 05, 03:40 AM
Doug Kanter wrote:

> Dogs *ARE* targets, with fur. There's this category of animals which were
> created for us to vent our aggressions against. It includes mosquitoes,
> rats, cockroaches and dogs. :-)

I suspect that PC would agree with you.

Pam S.

Mike Z. Helm
January 8th 05, 01:15 AM
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:51:45 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"

>> Oh Pam....that's why you don't chamber a round until you're ready to use it.
>> You need thumbs to pull the slide back, silly! :-) If you're convinced Pine
>> Cone might use it, I think he/she should take a basic handgun safety course
>> first. That's just common sense. Your veterinarian probably has info on
>> these things.
>>
>> <chuckle>
>
>You remind me of a picture that was making the rounds, a few
>months ago of a kitten "aiming" a pistol out the window at a
>dog! I no longer have the URL, but it's hysterical!

That reminds me of a picture I saw in the paper years ago. I probably
still have it somewhere, but I'm not likely to find it anytime soon.

Anyway, it's a picture of a cat in a window and there is a reflection of
a fireman raising an axe. It looks like he's about to axe the cat, but
in reality he was chopping his way in somewhere else.

Mike Z. Helm
January 8th 05, 01:23 AM
On 3 Jan 2005 05:55:49 -0800, "ken" >

>Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
>cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
>blast of air?
>Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?

Someone sent me a link for a "scat mat" (not that kind of scat). It's a
pad that gives a slight shock (it used a 9-volt battery and had 3
settings).

I didn't really think it was practical.

My kitten finally reached the kitchen counter a couple of weeks ago. I
hit her with a blast from a spray bottle, but so far she's only learning
to jump down as soon as I see her up there.

In fact, I just had to interrupt this post because I heard her in there.
She doesn't seem to realize that until she behaves herself, she's not
going to have free run of the house while I'm gone.

I'm being a real hard-ass about it because my few surviving house plants
are huddled in one corner of the kitchen counter nursing themselves back
to health.

I've fortified their position with a ring of empty beer bottles.

Maybe if I just covered the counters with dish soap before I left that
would deter her.

>Thanks
>
>Ken

Mike Z. Helm
January 8th 05, 01:27 AM
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:31:00 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

>"Tanada" > wrote in message
k.net...
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>>> "Tanada" > wrote in message
>>> nk.net...

>>> If he promises to assassinate a dog whenever possible, I'll chip in for a
>>> case of ammunition.
>>
>> He already has a candidate in my daughter's d-thing, Speedy. Speedy likes
>> to sneak up behind PC and either woof, or touch him with his cold
>> husky/shephard nose. PC is not amused.
>>
>> Pam S. hoping PC doesn't take up target shooting
>>

>Dogs *ARE* targets, with fur. There's this category of animals which were
>created for us to vent our aggressions against. It includes mosquitoes,
>rats, cockroaches and dogs. :-)

Specist!

Anyway, my kitten was shot when I found her. Fortunately it was only
with a pellet gun.

I can tell you one thing about dogs though. If anyone ever attacked me,
my dog would defend me. My cat would probably just watch - until she
realized I couldn't stop her from getting on the kitchen counter. Then
she'd jump up there and kill all my plants.

Doug Kanter
January 8th 05, 03:04 AM
"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:31:00 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> >

>>"Tanada" > wrote in message
k.net...

>>> He already has a candidate in my daughter's d-thing, Speedy. Speedy
>>> likes
>>> to sneak up behind PC and either woof, or touch him with his cold
>>> husky/shephard nose. PC is not amused.
>>>
>>> Pam S. hoping PC doesn't take up target shooting
>>>

>>Dogs *ARE* targets, with fur. There's this category of animals which were
>>created for us to vent our aggressions against. It includes mosquitoes,
>>rats, cockroaches and dogs. :-)
>>

> Specist!
>
> Anyway, my kitten was shot when I found her. Fortunately it was only
> with a pellet gun.
>
> I can tell you one thing about dogs though. If anyone ever attacked me,
> my dog would defend me. My cat would probably just watch - until she
> realized I couldn't stop her from getting on the kitchen counter. Then
> she'd jump up there and kill all my plants.

Yeah....but still....it's a dog. Come on...you know they're vermin. If they
ever had a molecule of nobility, we've bred it out of them. If you want a
real dog, have some real balls. Get a wolf.

Doug Kanter
January 8th 05, 03:06 AM
"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
> On 3 Jan 2005 05:55:49 -0800, "ken" >
>
>>Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
>>cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
>>blast of air?
>>Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
>>

> Someone sent me a link for a "scat mat" (not that kind of scat). It's a
> pad that gives a slight shock (it used a 9-volt battery and had 3
> settings).
>
> I didn't really think it was practical.
>
> My kitten finally reached the kitchen counter a couple of weeks ago. I
> hit her with a blast from a spray bottle, but so far she's only learning
> to jump down as soon as I see her up there.
>
> In fact, I just had to interrupt this post because I heard her in there.
> She doesn't seem to realize that until she behaves herself, she's not
> going to have free run of the house while I'm gone.
>
> I'm being a real hard-ass about it because my few surviving house plants
> are huddled in one corner of the kitchen counter nursing themselves back
> to health.
>
> I've fortified their position with a ring of empty beer bottles.
>
> Maybe if I just covered the counters with dish soap before I left that
> would deter her.
>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Ken

1) Try putting orange or grapefruit peels all over the counter. Two cats
I've lived with hated the smell.
2) Plant a couple of pots of greens for her. Petco sells a packaged thing.
It's hard red winter wheat. It was about four dollars. If you have a farm
supply place nearby, you can probably buy a large bag for about the same
price. I planted it a week ago and it's about 3" high already.
Unfortunately, my cat ran away this past Sunday, but I'm keeping all the cat
stuff in place for the moment.

Mike Z. Helm
January 8th 05, 08:07 PM
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:04:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

>> Specist!
>>
>> Anyway, my kitten was shot when I found her. Fortunately it was only
>> with a pellet gun.
>>
>> I can tell you one thing about dogs though. If anyone ever attacked me,
>> my dog would defend me. My cat would probably just watch - until she
>> realized I couldn't stop her from getting on the kitchen counter. Then
>> she'd jump up there and kill all my plants.
>>

>Yeah....but still....it's a dog. Come on...you know they're vermin. If they
>ever had a molecule of nobility, we've bred it out of them. If you want a
>real dog, have some real balls. Get a wolf.

What makes you think it's not a wolf?

Interestingly enough, they make better pets than something like a tiger,
leaopard, liion, cheetah, etc....

Mike Z. Helm
January 8th 05, 08:09 PM
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:06:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

>"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
>> On 3 Jan 2005 05:55:49 -0800, "ken" >
>>
>>>Does anyone have esperience with a sensor-device called STAY AWAY? If a
>>>cat jumps on a table or counter, the sensor sets off a noise and a
>>>blast of air?
>>>Does it work and if so, where can you buy it?
>>>

>> Someone sent me a link for a "scat mat" (not that kind of scat). It's a
>> pad that gives a slight shock (it used a 9-volt battery and had 3
>> settings).
>>
>> I didn't really think it was practical.
>>
>> My kitten finally reached the kitchen counter a couple of weeks ago. I
>> hit her with a blast from a spray bottle, but so far she's only learning
>> to jump down as soon as I see her up there.
>>
>> In fact, I just had to interrupt this post because I heard her in there.
>> She doesn't seem to realize that until she behaves herself, she's not
>> going to have free run of the house while I'm gone.
>>
>> I'm being a real hard-ass about it because my few surviving house plants
>> are huddled in one corner of the kitchen counter nursing themselves back
>> to health.
>>
>> I've fortified their position with a ring of empty beer bottles.
>>
>> Maybe if I just covered the counters with dish soap before I left that
>> would deter her.
>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Ken
>>

>1) Try putting orange or grapefruit peels all over the counter. Two cats
>I've lived with hated the smell.
>2) Plant a couple of pots of greens for her. Petco sells a packaged thing.
>It's hard red winter wheat. It was about four dollars. If you have a farm
>supply place nearby, you can probably buy a large bag for about the same
>price. I planted it a week ago and it's about 3" high already.
>Unfortunately, my cat ran away this past Sunday, but I'm keeping all the cat
>stuff in place for the moment.

All those orange peels and wheat grass must have scared her off.

I suggest getting a dog. Chihuahuas have some cat-like traits.

Doug Kanter
January 8th 05, 10:04 PM
"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:04:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> >

>>> Specist!
>>>
>>> Anyway, my kitten was shot when I found her. Fortunately it was only
>>> with a pellet gun.
>>>
>>> I can tell you one thing about dogs though. If anyone ever attacked me,
>>> my dog would defend me. My cat would probably just watch - until she
>>> realized I couldn't stop her from getting on the kitchen counter. Then
>>> she'd jump up there and kill all my plants.
>>>

>>Yeah....but still....it's a dog. Come on...you know they're vermin. If
>>they
>>ever had a molecule of nobility, we've bred it out of them. If you want a
>>real dog, have some real balls. Get a wolf.
>>

> What makes you think it's not a wolf?
>
> Interestingly enough, they make better pets than something like a tiger,
> leaopard, liion, cheetah, etc....

Of course they do. Tigers, etc....they're kittens with an attitude and a lot
more weight. :-)

Doug Kanter
January 8th 05, 10:07 PM
"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:06:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> >

>>"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
>>> On 3 Jan 2005 05:55:49 -0800, "ken" >

>>> Someone sent me a link for a "scat mat" (not that kind of scat). It's a
>>> pad that gives a slight shock (it used a 9-volt battery and had 3
>>> settings).
>>>
>>> I didn't really think it was practical.
>>>
>>> My kitten finally reached the kitchen counter a couple of weeks ago. I
>>> hit her with a blast from a spray bottle, but so far she's only learning
>>> to jump down as soon as I see her up there.
>>>
>>> In fact, I just had to interrupt this post because I heard her in there.
>>> She doesn't seem to realize that until she behaves herself, she's not
>>> going to have free run of the house while I'm gone.
>>>
>>> I'm being a real hard-ass about it because my few surviving house plants
>>> are huddled in one corner of the kitchen counter nursing themselves back
>>> to health.
>>>
>>> I've fortified their position with a ring of empty beer bottles.
>>>
>>> Maybe if I just covered the counters with dish soap before I left that
>>> would deter her.

>>1) Try putting orange or grapefruit peels all over the counter. Two cats
>>I've lived with hated the smell.
>>2) Plant a couple of pots of greens for her. Petco sells a packaged thing.
>>It's hard red winter wheat. It was about four dollars. If you have a farm
>>supply place nearby, you can probably buy a large bag for about the same
>>price. I planted it a week ago and it's about 3" high already.
>>Unfortunately, my cat ran away this past Sunday, but I'm keeping all the
>>cat
>>stuff in place for the moment.
>>

> All those orange peels and wheat grass must have scared her off.
>
> I suggest getting a dog. Chihuahuas have some cat-like traits.

Actually, my cat never reached the point of familiarity with the house that
he got up on the counters. Too skittish, too much time spent hiding. I only
had him for two or three weeks. At times, I'd sit on the living room floor
for a half hour, perfectly still, holding the brush he loved (at his
previous home). He'd stalk me from 20 feet away, meow a bit, but never come
close. I suspect he's trying to make his way back to his previous home.

Tanada
January 8th 05, 11:16 PM
Mike Z. Helm wrote:

> Specist!

Yeah, I guess I am, even though I do like the d-thing. I still prefer
the cats who own me.

Pam S.

Mike Z. Helm
January 10th 05, 03:31 AM
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:07:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

>"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message

>>>1) Try putting orange or grapefruit peels all over the counter. Two cats
>>>I've lived with hated the smell.
>>>2) Plant a couple of pots of greens for her. Petco sells a packaged thing.
>>>It's hard red winter wheat. It was about four dollars. If you have a farm
>>>supply place nearby, you can probably buy a large bag for about the same
>>>price. I planted it a week ago and it's about 3" high already.
>>>Unfortunately, my cat ran away this past Sunday, but I'm keeping all the
>>>cat
>>>stuff in place for the moment.
>>>

>> All those orange peels and wheat grass must have scared her off.
>>
>> I suggest getting a dog. Chihuahuas have some cat-like traits.
>>

>Actually, my cat never reached the point of familiarity with the house that
>he got up on the counters. Too skittish, too much time spent hiding. I only
>had him for two or three weeks. At times, I'd sit on the living room floor
>for a half hour, perfectly still, holding the brush he loved (at his
>previous home). He'd stalk me from 20 feet away, meow a bit, but never come
>close. I suspect he's trying to make his way back to his previous home.

Have you ever considered seeking professional help?

Doug Kanter
January 10th 05, 04:49 AM
"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:07:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> >

>>"Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:06:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

>>> All those orange peels and wheat grass must have scared her off.
>>>
>>> I suggest getting a dog. Chihuahuas have some cat-like traits.
>>>

>>Actually, my cat never reached the point of familiarity with the house
>>that
>>he got up on the counters. Too skittish, too much time spent hiding. I
>>only
>>had him for two or three weeks. At times, I'd sit on the living room floor
>>for a half hour, perfectly still, holding the brush he loved (at his
>>previous home). He'd stalk me from 20 feet away, meow a bit, but never
>>come
>>close. I suspect he's trying to make his way back to his previous home.
>>

> Have you ever considered seeking professional help?

Perhaps you'd care to explain that after you've sobered up.

Monique Y. Mudama
January 10th 05, 09:37 PM
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav.] On 2005-01-08, Doug
Kanter penned:

> "Mike Z. Helm" > wrote in message
>
> Yeah....but still....it's a dog. Come on...you know they're vermin. If they
> ever had a molecule of nobility, we've bred it out of them. If you want a
> real dog, have some real balls. Get a wolf.

Yeah, it's much better to keep a wild animal in captivity than to keep a pet
who actually enjoys being with humans, like a dog does.

*boggle*

I think it's pretty poor form to come to a pet newsgroup and talk about dogs
as "vermin." A lot of cat lovers also love dogs, and a lot of cats get along
well with dogs, too.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch