PDA

View Full Version : Portable outdoor cat enclosure

Camilla Cracchiolo
January 6th 05, 02:27 PM
I recently saw an ad for a 10 ft. outdoor enclosure for cats. I live
in an apartment building which has a courtyard all the apartments look
out on.

This thing is made of green "rip stop" mesh and has stakes to anchor
it securely into the ground.

My cat was outdoors for several weeks before we found her. This is a
*bad* neighborhood for cats, constantly killed by cars. So we keep
her strictly inside but she wants to go out. Plus the neighborhood
kids are now friends with her (We got to be a regular gathering spot
for kids when we had our two old cats that recently died. "Can we
come in and see the cats??" a constant request.)

I was thinking this thing might be a compromise that would let her
enjoy some time outside and would let the kids play with her. But I'm
worried she'll get wanderlust. Not to mention that I don't know how
sturdy this thing is. She's a Houdini of a cat. Could another cat
bite her or attack her through this thing?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Camilla Cracchiolo
Registered Nurse
Los Angeles, California

webpage temporarily down

Phil P.
January 6th 05, 02:56 PM
"Camilla Cracchiolo" > wrote in message

> I recently saw an ad for a 10 ft. outdoor enclosure for cats. I live
> in an apartment building which has a courtyard all the apartments look
> out on.
>
> This thing is made of green "rip stop" mesh and has stakes to anchor
> it securely into the ground.
>
> My cat was outdoors for several weeks before we found her. This is a
> *bad* neighborhood for cats, constantly killed by cars. So we keep
> her strictly inside but she wants to go out. Plus the neighborhood
> kids are now friends with her (We got to be a regular gathering spot
> for kids when we had our two old cats that recently died. "Can we
> come in and see the cats??" a constant request.)
>
> I was thinking this thing might be a compromise that would let her
> enjoy some time outside and would let the kids play with her. But I'm
> worried she'll get wanderlust. Not to mention that I don't know how
> sturdy this thing is. She's a Houdini of a cat. Could another cat
> bite her or attack her through this thing?

I don't think so -- providing the netting is fairly taut.

I'd make sure the netting covered the ground, too so the cat can't squeeze
out between the sides and the ground.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/67057.asp?promo=xsells#

Phil

Margaret
January 6th 05, 05:09 PM
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:56:12 -0500, Phil P. wrote:

> "Camilla Cracchiolo" > wrote in message
> >

> > I recently saw an ad for a 10 ft. outdoor enclosure for cats. I live
> > in an apartment building which has a courtyard all the apartments look
> > out on.
> >
> > This thing is made of green "rip stop" mesh and has stakes to anchor
> > it securely into the ground.
> >
> > My cat was outdoors for several weeks before we found her. This is a
> > *bad* neighborhood for cats, constantly killed by cars. So we keep
> > her strictly inside but she wants to go out. Plus the neighborhood
> > kids are now friends with her (We got to be a regular gathering spot
> > for kids when we had our two old cats that recently died. "Can we
> > come in and see the cats??" a constant request.)
> >
> > I was thinking this thing might be a compromise that would let her
> > enjoy some time outside and would let the kids play with her. But I'm
> > worried she'll get wanderlust. Not to mention that I don't know how
> > sturdy this thing is. She's a Houdini of a cat. Could another cat
> > bite her or attack her through this thing?

I don't know that product, but we once made a cat run about 10' square using
chicken wire. We put it up kind of loose and let it kind of flop back
inwards at the top. The cats wouldn't climb it because it was too unsteady.

/snip/

> I'd make sure the netting covered the ground, too so the cat can't squeeze
> out between the sides and the ground.

Yes. I'd run some mesh horizontally along the bottom, buried under a few
inches of soil or turf.

> http://www.hammacher.com/publish/67057.asp?promo=xsells#

Good luck,
Margaret

Monique Y. Mudama
January 6th 05, 09:44 PM
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav.] On 2005-01-06,
Camilla Cracchiolo penned:

> I recently saw an ad for a 10 ft. outdoor enclosure for cats. I live in an
> apartment building which has a courtyard all the apartments look out on.

[snip]

> Anyone have experience with this?

Not I, but I'd check with my landlord before buying it, just in case they
didn't like it for some reason.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch