PDA

View Full Version : Re: is my cat in heat?

Mr. Jim McManus
February 28th 05, 03:32 AM
jacquie0 wrote:
> Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
> > Have anyone else heard of this whole q-tip "fix" before? I couldn't
> > believe her vet actually instructed her to do that when she first
told me
> > about it but I must admit that it seemed to help a little. Either
way it
> > was a pretty crazy thing to watch; I doubt I'll forget it anytime
soon.

> > BTW both kittens were spayed shortly thereafter.
> >

> Personally, I would tell your friend to see another vet, and to tell
the
> one that told her this to shove it up his/her "cooter hole"!!! I
would
> never trust that vet again. IMAGINE!!!
> I don't believe that any responsible vet would ever tell a person to
use
> such a method, but instead, would tell them to make an appointment
> immediately for spaying. If in fact your friend did do this to their
> cats, they are a cruel person indeed. I feel sorry for those two
> precious girls, they deserve much better treatment than that.

When did I ever use the word "shove" in my account? Nobody "shoved"
anything anywhere.

I admit the entire incident seemed a bit bizarre but there was nothing
about it that seemed cruel or abusive. If anything it seemed that the
kittens received some degree of release (or even pleasure) from the the
act.

My friend was very gentle when she inserted the Q-Tip. She only did it
because the vet told her it might provide some degree of relief for the
cats until they would be able to bring in the kittens so they could be
spayed. If you knew how squeamish and timid (as well as caring and
compassionate) my friend is you would realize that her motives were
pure.

You act as if she is a sadist who sodomized her cat with a broomstick.
I promise you this is not the case. Perhaps you should think before you
post such judgemental statements. At least one other person has
responded to this thread stating that they too have heard of this
"q-tip" thing before so it is not like it was coming from completely
out it left field.

I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one should
take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13 year
old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't dare
to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps the
vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.

- Jim McManus

Mary
February 28th 05, 03:43 AM
"Mr. Jim McManus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one should
> take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13 year
> old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't dare
> to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps the
> vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.

FWIW, I have heard of this. I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount
of cash that a man came up with the Q-tip solution.

Mr. Jim McManus
February 28th 05, 04:14 AM
Mary wrote:
> "Mr. Jim McManus" > wrote in
message
> oups.com...
> > I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one
should
> > take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13
year
> > old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't
dare
> > to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps
the
> > vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.
> >

> FWIW, I have heard of this. I'd be willing to bet a substantial
amount
> of cash that a man came up with the Q-tip solution.

Ha!

I don't know whether to be offended or to thank you for confirming that
my story is legit.

Mr. Jim McManus
February 28th 05, 04:28 AM
Diane L. Schirf wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Mr. Jim McManus" > wrote:
>
> > I admit the entire incident seemed a bit bizarre but there was
nothing
> > about it that seemed cruel or abusive. If anything it seemed that
the
> > kittens received some degree of release (or even pleasure) from the
the
> > act.
>
> If the veterinarian used that term, he seems at best juvenile. Not
> someone I'd want anywhere near any pet of mine.

If you are referring to the term "cooter" I have no idea whether the
veternarian used the word.

As far as the whole sexism implication goes the vet very well may have
been a woman. My friend, who performed the Q-Tip act, is most
definitely a woman.

As far as the term "cooter" goes, I firmly believe that 99% of the
people who actually use this term with any regularity are actually
women. I have never known one man that used that term in reference to
female genitalia on a regular basis. I have known many women who use
that word fairly frequently.

jacquie0
February 28th 05, 05:50 AM
Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
> jacquie0 wrote:
>
>>Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
>>
>>>Have anyone else heard of this whole q-tip "fix" before? I couldn't
>>>believe her vet actually instructed her to do that when she first
>
> told me
>
>>>about it but I must admit that it seemed to help a little. Either
>
> way it
>
>>>was a pretty crazy thing to watch; I doubt I'll forget it anytime
>
> soon.
>
>>>BTW both kittens were spayed shortly thereafter.
>>>

>>Personally, I would tell your friend to see another vet, and to tell
>
> the
>
>>one that told her this to shove it up his/her "cooter hole"!!! I
>
> would
>
>>never trust that vet again. IMAGINE!!!
>>I don't believe that any responsible vet would ever tell a person to
>
> use
>
>>such a method, but instead, would tell them to make an appointment
>>immediately for spaying. If in fact your friend did do this to their
>>cats, they are a cruel person indeed. I feel sorry for those two
>>precious girls, they deserve much better treatment than that.
>

> When did I ever use the word "shove" in my account? Nobody "shoved"
> anything anywhere.
>
> I admit the entire incident seemed a bit bizarre but there was nothing
> about it that seemed cruel or abusive. If anything it seemed that the
> kittens received some degree of release (or even pleasure) from the the
> act.
>
> My friend was very gentle when she inserted the Q-Tip. She only did it
> because the vet told her it might provide some degree of relief for the
> cats until they would be able to bring in the kittens so they could be
> spayed. If you knew how squeamish and timid (as well as caring and
> compassionate) my friend is you would realize that her motives were
> pure.
>
> You act as if she is a sadist who sodomized her cat with a broomstick.
> I promise you this is not the case. Perhaps you should think before you
> post such judgemental statements. At least one other person has
> responded to this thread stating that they too have heard of this
> "q-tip" thing before so it is not like it was coming from completely
> out it left field.
>
> I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one should
> take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13 year
> old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't dare
> to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps the
> vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.
>
> - Jim McManus

Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have done if for some reason
the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of the cat? This is what
appalls me. The risk of that alone could have serious implications.
Any vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend doing this to any
animal.

CatNipped
February 28th 05, 02:55 PM
<jacquie0> wrote in message ...

> Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have done if for some reason
> the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of the cat? This is what
> appalls me. The risk of that alone could have serious implications. Any
> vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend doing this to any
> animal.

That's the same thing I thought. Actually, the best advice I got for
handling a female cat in heat came from another female cat. When we got
Jessie she came into heat right before she was scheduled to be spayed. The
first time Jessie started squawling Demi, one year older and already spayed,
jumped on top of Jessie and bit the back of her neck the way a tom would,
but obviously with inserting anything into Jessie's vagina! Just doing this
seemed to calm Jessie down, so the next time she started squawling I just
scruffed her for a minute and this quieted her. Between the time Demi
scruffed her and I scruffed her I got on the phone and pushed the spay
apppointment up to the next day!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Mary
February 28th 05, 04:43 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> <jacquie0> wrote in message ...
>
> > Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have done if for some reason
> > the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of the cat? This is what
> > appalls me. The risk of that alone could have serious implications. Any
> > vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend doing this to any
> > animal.
>
> That's the same thing I thought. Actually, the best advice I got for
> handling a female cat in heat came from another female cat. When we got
> Jessie she came into heat right before she was scheduled to be spayed.
The
> first time Jessie started squawling Demi, one year older and already
spayed,
> jumped on top of Jessie and bit the back of her neck the way a tom would,
> but obviously with inserting anything into Jessie's vagina! Just doing
this
> seemed to calm Jessie down, so the next time she started squawling I just
> scruffed her for a minute and this quieted her. Between the time Demi
> scruffed her and I scruffed her I got on the phone and pushed the spay
> apppointment up to the next day!!!

That's sounds like a great thing to try for someone who has a cat in
heat and must wait to spay her, good thinking. It's neat how we can
learn from our cats.

DL Farnworth
February 28th 05, 04:50 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
| <jacquie0> wrote in message
|
| > Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have
done if for some reason
| > the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of
the cat? This is what
| > appalls me. The risk of that alone could have
serious implications. Any
| > vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend
doing this to any
| > animal.
|
| That's the same thing I thought. Actually, the best
advice I got for
| handling a female cat in heat came from another
female cat. When we got
| Jessie she came into heat right before she was
scheduled to be spayed. The
| first time Jessie started squawling Demi, one year
older and already spayed,
| jumped on top of Jessie and bit the back of her neck
the way a tom would,
| but obviously with inserting anything into Jessie's
vagina! Just doing this
| seemed to calm Jessie down, so the next time she
started squawling I just
| scruffed her for a minute and this quieted her.
Between the time Demi
| scruffed her and I scruffed her I got on the phone
and pushed the spay
| apppointment up to the next day!!!
|
| Hugs,
|
| CatNipped

Now this is clever. I never thought of doing this.
When Sally went into heat on Christmas Eve at 5 months,
she was a pain and in pain. The other cats just
avoided her. My sister-in-law recommended the Q-tip
but we thought it too rough for such a tender area.
Catnip and an enclosed room downstairs kept Christmas
relatively quiet. But next time - if there is a next
time - the current new addition is one Gilbert - I'll
try scruffing. Thanks.

Stormin Mormon
March 1st 05, 12:36 AM
Ear syringe and flush with warm water?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<jacquie0> wrote in message ...
Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
> When did I ever use the word "shove" in my account? Nobody "shoved"
> anything anywhere.
>
> I admit the entire incident seemed a bit bizarre but there was nothing
> about it that seemed cruel or abusive. If anything it seemed that the
> kittens received some degree of release (or even pleasure) from the the
> act.
>
> My friend was very gentle when she inserted the Q-Tip. She only did it
> because the vet told her it might provide some degree of relief for the
> cats until they would be able to bring in the kittens so they could be
> spayed. If you knew how squeamish and timid (as well as caring and
> compassionate) my friend is you would realize that her motives were
> pure.
>
> You act as if she is a sadist who sodomized her cat with a broomstick.
> I promise you this is not the case. Perhaps you should think before you
> post such judgemental statements. At least one other person has
> responded to this thread stating that they too have heard of this
> "q-tip" thing before so it is not like it was coming from completely
> out it left field.
>
> I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one should
> take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13 year
> old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't dare
> to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps the
> vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.
>
> - Jim McManus

Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have done if for some reason
the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of the cat? This is what
appalls me. The risk of that alone could have serious implications.
Any vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend doing this to any
animal.

-L.
March 1st 05, 01:01 AM
Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
> jacquie0 wrote:
> > Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
> > > Have anyone else heard of this whole q-tip "fix" before? I
couldn't
> > > believe her vet actually instructed her to do that when she first
> told me
> > > about it but I must admit that it seemed to help a little. Either
> way it
> > > was a pretty crazy thing to watch; I doubt I'll forget it anytime
> soon.
> > >
> > > BTW both kittens were spayed shortly thereafter.

<snip>

It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this manner
will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used to
get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I worked,
all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this to
a cat.

-L.

Mr. Jim McManus
March 1st 05, 01:43 AM
-L. wrote:

> It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this manner
> will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used to
> get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I
worked,
> all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this
> a cat.

I really don't know if he told them it would take them out of heat as
much as it would provide the cat (as well as the rest of the household)
some degree of relief. As I mentioned before they weren't my cats. I
was just a bit shocked to behold the entire experience. As I said
before the cats didn't seem to suffer from the experience. I must also
say that whatever *benefit* the kittens may have recieved from this was
certainly temporary at best.

Mary
March 1st 05, 01:46 AM
"Mr. Jim McManus" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> -L. wrote:
> >
> > It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this manner
> > will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used to
> > get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I
> worked,
> > all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this
> > a cat.
>
> I really don't know if he told them it would take them out of heat as
> much as it would provide the cat (as well as the rest of the household)
> some degree of relief. As I mentioned before they weren't my cats. I
> was just a bit shocked to behold the entire experience. As I said
> before the cats didn't seem to suffer from the experience. I must also
> say that whatever *benefit* the kittens may have recieved from this was
> certainly temporary at best.

If you do a web search on it, you will see that many claim that
breeders do this. It is definitely not an "old wives tale."

-L.
March 1st 05, 02:09 AM
Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> >
> > It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this
manner
> > will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used
> > get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I
> worked,
> > all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this
> > a cat.
>
> I really don't know if he told them it would take them out of heat as
> much as it would provide the cat (as well as the rest of the
household)
> some degree of relief.

Yeah - it's passed around as a way to "satisfy" a queen. There's no
basis in veterinary medicine for it, though. Like I said, no decent
vet would advocate the practice.

> As I mentioned before they weren't my cats. I
> was just a bit shocked to behold the entire experience.

Um, well...yeah...I would be too!

>As I said
> before the cats didn't seem to suffer from the experience. I must
also
> say that whatever *benefit* the kittens may have recieved from this
was
> certainly temporary at best.

We used to have people call and ask about it all the time. We'd tell
them to *please* not do that, and to just to bring their cat in to be
spayed - it's amazing what lengths people will go to to avoid the
inevitable. ;)

-L.